Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

What is the best current Superman series so far?

• 88 results
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Edited By Lvenger

Poll What is the best current Superman series so far? (73 votes)

Action Comics 12%
    Superman 10%
    Superman Unchained 38%
    Batman/Superman 18%
    Smallville: Season 11 7%
    Adventures of Superman 15%

Since a poll has been set up in the Batman forums on this issue, I thought I'd make a hopefully well debated and well chosen (even with subjective views, most people on here have good taste in comics) poll on what the Vine's favourite current Superman series is. I haven't included Justice League as that's a team book and comprises of the sum of its parts. Superman is only one player in that title. And I also haven't included Injustice: Gods Among Us because for me, though Superman is a main character in that series, it's more about tying into the game universe and filling in those gaps rather than a strict Superman series. But if you think it should be in here and can give good enough reasons, I might be willing to put it in. So here's a reminder of the contenders:

• 
    Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Lvenger

Damn it, forget Batman/Superman #1's cover

No Caption Provided

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

I'm giving it to Action Comics in general. Batman/Superman has only been around for three issues so I don't feel that I can make full judgment on it yet.

Oh and the latest issue of Superman wasn't half bad actually.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Um...

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget said:

I'm giving it to Action Comics in general. Batman/Superman has only been around for three issues so I don't feel that I can make full judgment on it yet.

did you read batman/superman 003 yet? it'll change your mind!

I did! Batman/Superman would be my automatic choice for favourite Superman title and I voted for it but ideally, I'd hand it to Action Comics solely because it restructured a young Superman for a new age and despite Lobdell's issue(s)?, it still stands as a very good run.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

ColonelRunAway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By ColonelRunAway

I'll vote Action Comics and just pretend everything Between Morrison and Pak is non-canon.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget said:

@theacidskull said:

@deranged_midget said:

did you read batman/superman 003 yet? it'll change your mind!

I did! Batman/Superman would be my automatic choice for favourite Superman title and I voted for it but ideally, I'd hand it to Action Comics solely because it restructured a young Superman for a new age and despite Lobdell's issue(s)?, it still stands as a very good run.

plus greg will be taking over :D

Indeed and with an artist who stylistically can hold his own! I cannot wait! Did you read the latest Superman issue?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree though I've held off on voting myself in case Unchained gets really good. But I might change my mind on that soon.

You and I must have read a different issue. From what I saw, it was the same mediocrity as before. Poor dialogue, contrived plots and hashed out pacing. It's still not any better without Lobdell unfortunately.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait is Superman actually beating Unchained on votes?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By TDK_1997

@lvenger: Well Lobdell has some fans,that's why.

My pick would Action Comics only because before Lobdell started writing it the book was awesome but then it became crap but my other favorite one is Batman/Superman

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nah, i don't read it in General as i have not heard great things about it :/

The latest Superman issue was written by Mike Johnson, not Lobdell and I think he's now officially taken over for the previous team. It was actually kind of decent.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

I agree though I've held off on voting myself in case Unchained gets really good. But I might change my mind on that soon.

You and I must have read a different issue. From what I saw, it was the same mediocrity as before. Poor dialogue, contrived plots and hashed out pacing. It's still not any better without Lobdell unfortunately.

I thought it was half decent, even though most of the issue didn't even showcase Superman in it until the end. I've always like Merino's art and that splash page was beautifully illustrated in my opinion. I'm not recommending it or anything but I am interested to see where Johnson leads the series from here on out since he wasn't too bad on Supergirl.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lvenger

@tdk_1997: Yeah but it's beating Unchained. The series that's done more and better stuff with Superman in 3 issues than Lobdell has in his entire run. WTF? And agreed on your choice.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By Squalleon

SU and B/S are only 3 issues in so I don't want to give them my vote until their respective first story arc ends.

I voted for Action because in it's 24 (with #0) issue run, 20 of them are good to excellent.

I would list them like this :

• Action Comics
    • Superman Unchained
    • Adventures of Superman (this title is pure wasted potential)
    • B/S (because it is not a pure Superman title)
    • Smallvile S11
    • Superman

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Truthfully, I don't think Lobdell's minor intrusion with Action Comics can spoil the entire run. It's barely noticable in my opinion.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@tdk_1997: Yeah but it's beating Unchained. The series that's done more and better stuff with Superman in 3 issues than Lobdell has in his entire run. WTF? And agreed on your choice.

Well you know there are always people that even like the crappy stuff but I don't understand how they can like what Lobdell has been doing with any DC character he has laid hands on since the New 52.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@tdk_1997 said:

@lvenger said:

Well you know there are always people that even like the crappy stuff but I don't understand how they can like what Lobdell has been doing with any DC character he has laid hands on since the New 52.

Maybe they haven't read better stories to compare?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: Yeah,it's good that his run is small.Not like 2 or 3 story arcs but just three issues I think

@tdk_1997 said:

@lvenger said:

Maybe they haven't read better stories to compare?

Maybe,maybe.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: That's why I summoned you here, to give Smallville: Season 11 some much needed support.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Im actually a big fan of the normal Superman, it started off slowly but about 10 issues in something changed and its now one of my favorites series in all New 52.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

damn i need to pick that Superman/Batman comic

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: it doesn't get nearly enough support or attention around here...even with the improvements to the character in Unchained and B/S Smallville Season 11 is still the best portrayal of Superman and a lot of other characters

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: I've been following the Olympus arc recently and it's looking really good.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: the only bad arc was the Valkyrie arc where Lois flew to Africa or someplace and met up with Lana and even then it was a good read...Miller just does a fantastic job at character work...if you've read his Batgirl run then you can understand what I'm talking about

I've tried to tell the staff that they should start reviewing it but so far I haven't made any progress *COUGH* @g_man *COUGH*

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I voted for Unchained mostly due to it being the only book with consistently good art even if it's only 3 issues in, it barely beat Action as although I loved Morrison run everything since then hasn't been very good. Superman Unchained, Action Comics (the Morrison run solely) and Batman/Superman are really neck and neck. Hopefully Action gets better once Pak comes on.

@lvenger: Does Batman/Superman really count as a Superman title I think it falls along the lines of Justice League and Injustice?

I'll vote Action Comics and just pretend everything Between Morrison and Pak is non-canon.

QFT

@deranged_midget: I don't think Johnson is staying on the book I just think he's wrapping up this arc while lobdell prepares for the next. If Lobdell is gone is the issue a good jumping on point by any chance?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#37  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Injustice :P

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: No, it's a terrible jumping on point hence why I previously made presumptions that Lobdell's not off the title. Issue 23 plays directly from previous issues.

@k4tzm4n said:

Injustice :P

That counts!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: Hmm disappointing.

@k4tzm4n I actually wish Tom Taylor would write the Superman title he seems perfect for it since he get's the character (ala Injustice) and knows how to epic boss scenes (ala 2 Injustice) paired with an extraordinary artist I'm thinking Gary Frank since he's not really doing anything at the moment and he's not only a fantastic Superman artist but a fantastic artist in general

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: Tom Taylor is doing a fantastic job at writing Injustice. I know he's taking over Earth 2 but I wish he would be the eventual replacement for Lobdell. Give him a chance to shine with the Superman he adores, as he's mentioned many times in interviews how it's painful as a fan to be writing such a misguided and troubled Superman.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: Agreed 100% he deserves so much more recognition he has stated multiple times that Superman is his favourite character and as you said before how painful it is for him (as a fan) to write Superman like that and yet he does it so well Superman never feels out of character his actions feel reasonable and justified (debatable but I think so). As Injustice is going to end soon I think it would be perfect for him to move from that to Superman and continuing to write Earth 2.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed 100% he deserves so much more recognition he has stated multiple times that Superman is his favourite character and as you said before how painful it is for him (as a fan) to write Superman like that and yet he does it so well Superman never feels out of character his actions feel reasonable and justified (debatable but I think so). As Injustice is going to end soon I think it would be perfect for him to move from that to Superman and continuing to write Earth 2.

Haha, I think his actions being reasonable and justified will definitely be debated upon but they are handled extremely well for a non-canon story. It sort of fits within the boundaries of his character to an extent, especially since there's been a bit of manipulation from some supporting characters. Nonetheless, I'd love to see how he'd handle a canon Superman and he'd definitely be a brilliant writer as he's showcased his innate ability to skillfully express personal and emotional scenes with a very action oriented counter balance.

Avatar image for dtslanterncorps
    DTSLanternCorps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Voted Unchained but i'm still confused, why is Superman not in last place?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642 said:

Agreed 100% he deserves so much more recognition he has stated multiple times that Superman is his favourite character and as you said before how painful it is for him (as a fan) to write Superman like that and yet he does it so well Superman never feels out of character his actions feel reasonable and justified (debatable but I think so). As Injustice is going to end soon I think it would be perfect for him to move from that to Superman and continuing to write Earth 2.

Haha, I think his actions being reasonable and justified will definitely be debated upon but they are handled extremely well for a non-canon story. It sort of fits within the boundaries of his character to an extent, especially since there's been a bit of manipulation from some supporting characters. Nonetheless, I'd love to see how he'd handle a canon Superman and he'd definitely be a brilliant writer as he's showcased his innate ability to skillfully express personal and emotional scenes with a very action oriented counter balance.

Once again agreed 100% Especially if he's paired with Gary Frank this would be a top title and an instant buy from me.

btw "especially since there's been a bit of manipulation from some supporting characters." coughWonderWomancough.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once again agreed 100% Especially if he's paired with Gary Frank this would be a top title and an instant buy from me.

btw "especially since there's been a bit of manipulation from some supporting characters." coughWonderWomancough.

Man oh man... Taylor and Frank... That would be NUTS! I always imagined Taylor working with a slightly more gritty artist though like Doug Mahnke. Maybe it's just my preference though as he handles action scenes quite well but slightly lacks in the emotional department.

Haha, noooooo! I didn't mean Diana at all...

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to agree that Tom Taylor would make an amazing Superman writer, Injustice #30 definitely proves that.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man oh man... Taylor and Frank... That would be NUTS! I always imagined Taylor working with a slightly more gritty artist though like Doug Mahnke. Maybe it's just my preference though as he handles action scenes quite well but slightly lacks in the emotional department.

Haha, noooooo! I didn't mean Diana at all...

It would be Banana's. Actually now that I think about it Manhke's a great choice although I've never seen him as a Superman artist even if he's done work on one of his titles before I just think Frank is a much better artist overall and he's great with super heroic characters/ powerhouses ex: Hulk, Superman, Shazam etc.

Don't lie you did but you just don't want all the berserker WW fans coming for you're head

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be Banana's. Actually now that I think about it Manhke's a great choice although I've never seen him as a Superman artist even if he's done work on one of his titles before I just think Frank is a much better artist overall and he's great with super heroic characters/ powerhouses ex: Hulk, Superman, Shazam etc.

Don't lie you did but you just don't want all the berserker WW fans coming for you're head

Yeah, Gary Frank is definitely a more iconic artist then Mahnke but each fits a different tone I think. Mahnke's work for Superman can be seen in Final Crisis, Our Worlds at War, Superman: Man of Steel, Action Comics #775, and most recently an issue of JLA.

Hah, I never said anything!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, Gary Frank is definitely a more iconic artist then Mahnke but each fits a different tone I think. Mahnke's work for Superman can be seen in Final Crisis, Our Worlds at War, Superman: Man of Steel, Action Comics #775, and most recently an issue of JLA.

Hah, I never said anything!

Oh of course Mahnke has his shining moments but I would prefer Frank (I'm scared of telling Lvenger about this idea because he might explode)

What did you say I can't remember *wink wink nudge nudge*

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.