Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

What is Superman without his powers?

• 140 results
    trebean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@binski said:

@trebean: What comic is this? I'd love to give this a read I have a lot of the elseworld stories "Speeding Bullets" "Red Son" and "Batman in Darkest Knight" etc etc this sounds like something I'd like to add to my collection, I did a basic Google search but came up with nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman:_Last_Son_of_Earth

Everyone's seeming to forget Alan Moore's For The Man Who Has Everything

Granted Superman is still Kryptonian, but is shown what it will be like if he was just like everyone else around him.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perpetr8rmike said:

That scan is overused and ineffective. That was two worn out Clarks one being decades older and in better shape beating up the weaker one who had never done anything but use his powers.

Clark to many is just his powers, whether they like to admit it or not. People really do love Superman because of his abilities, him being top dog and so on. In to many comics Clark has 0 personality. He is a walking, talking, plot device.

Now in GOOD stories he is a character but still Clark is nothing without his powers, Clark has no strong features outside of his powers. Clark is a nice guy, likes to help people. But that is virtually every character unless they are specifically written to be bad guys.

We share the same view. I don't mean to insult at all, but he to me, just seems very straight forward and in my own opinion, boring.

It's a good thing that your just an internet commentator and not a writer who believes that bunk then. :)

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sandman_:

I know where it is from.

Why post it? I get that he had no powers during that time. Sure. But that episode was not exactly very entertaining other then the sheer 'What if' idea of it all.

I would like an answer. Would you buy a Comic about Clark Kent. One where he was just a normal guy, same personality and so on. But no super powers.

Okay asshole, you take that shit you were flinging at Hereafter back RIGHT NOW with a strongly worded apology before I make a strongly worded "the reason you suck" speech.

Also, to answer you're question, yes, if it was done well.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Adventures of Lois and Clark, super reporters.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Think about it for a second.

Superman without his powers is a really great guy. He's an upstanding citizen who believed in humanitarian ideals, who will never give up on the truth no matter where it hides. He will always be an example to us all.

The_Vein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_vein said:

@i_like_swords said:

@deadcool said:

A good guy that would do anything to do the right thing.

Agreed, but so is damn near the majority of superheroes. What's special about Superman? Does he have a weapon unique to him? Does he have a unique characteristic? Does he have some form of personal conflict with himself because of the way he is? (Hulk for example, X-men being shunned by large populace, Spider-man vs Jonah Jameson, I could go on). In short, no. He's basically perfect, and widely accepted by all humans on DC earth. He has nothing wrong with him physically or mentally which prevents him from doing his superhero duties. I just don't see where the interest is besides the fact he's so powerful...

You're presenting a false dichotomy by comparing him to other heroes who still have their powers. Without his powers, Hulk is just a scientist with zero drama in his life or anything interesting about him, without their powers, the X-Men are just normal humans who wouldn't be shunned or otherwise noticed by the population of the world, without his powers, Spider-Man is just a freelance photographer, J.J. wouldn't give two shits about him.

Superman has plenty of character without taking his powers into account, but they are also a part of who he is. His ability to remain a good and just person despite his godlike power, his loneliness at being one of the last remaining Kryptonians in the universe, his struggle to be more human than maybe even humans can be. If you're going to say, "What's Superman without his powers," you can't compare him to other, powered, super heroes. You may as well ask what is Batman without infinite wealth or any tool he wants or superhuman combat capabilities.

In that post I may have strayed away from the "no powers" point, but if you look at what I bolded, I was comparing his characteristics to those of the Superheroes I listed (My examples were more along the lines of the conflicts that come with the powers, not the powers themselves, conflicts that Supermans stories don't really have a lot of gloss around) I'm basically saying, these characters I listed all have unique personalities/physical characteristics (Spider-man being a high school nerd, which people can relate to. The dynamic of Bruce Banner being puny compared to the Hulk. Bruce is also very intelligient which is may spark reader interest). Superman seems to lack these kind of things, at least to me. It's hard for me to relate to a guy, even on comic book superhero level, that could lift cars as a baby.

So, if he couldn't lift cars a baby, what is special about his character? But then, there are things about his character that people like, so I'm not going to sit and argue he is an empty character, because he isn't. Just saying, there isn't anything particularly unique about him that interests me. Only reason I made this thread, to get feedback on my views.

Spiderman hasn't been a high school nerd for like twenty years. He's a very successful man who used to have an incredibly attractive wife before the devil took her away, even still, Parker hasn't been in highschool for many, many years. Everyone is puny compared to the Hulk, and there are tons and tons and tons of characters who are super intelligent like Banner.

The fact that you think Superman could lift cars as a baby shows you've never read Superman comics, and forces me to believe you're making this thread just to rile up Superman fans, which is too bad, since that means no matter what anyone says you'll just continue saying Clark is a boring character, but he isn't, and I think you're doing yourself a disservice by stubbornly refusing to see what's so great about him.

PCN24454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

A really nice guy who tries to help how he can.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By RDClip

Lets see Clark Kent is a man raised on down-to-earth principles by kind loving people. He became a reporter because he wanted to help people in more ways than just heroing. He eventually became an award winning investigative jounalist who still believes in truth, justice, and equality for everyone in a world of lies, greed and corruption. He doesn't write stories that will just grab readers, he also does stories that have been ignored like the ones about the homeless, corporate greed, corruption.

If we go back to his early days, he's also a guy madly in love with a woman who doesn't care one bit about him because she is in love with another man (who soul-shatteringly is really his alter ego). Eventually she grows to respect Clark as a colliege and as a person and even develops feelings for him, Clark not Superman.

Asking this question is completely useless because as soon as it is asked about one superhero, the same question has to apply to every superhero. And the answer is moot because no one will know with any certainty what a character would be without their powers after their origin story because (unless you write for a comic company) we don't write the stories.

And to the OP, I don't know if your intentions were agressive and negative, but it sure comes off that way. The title is insulting and the fact that the first post is less than ONE sentence sounds like a challenge. It really comes off like your insulting Superman fans for liking something you don't like. Okay, you don't like Superman, I DON'T CARE. Most Superman fans don't care if you don't like him. Why do you care if and why we like him? if you dislike something, why even bother? There are a hell of a lot of things I dislike, and I don't bother to give them a second thought because, unless I am forced to deal with them frequently, have little to no impact on my life.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@rdclip said:

Lets see Clark Kent is a man raised on down-to-earth principles by kind loving people. He became a reporter because he wanted to help people in more ways than just heroing. He eventually became an award winning investigative jounalist who still believes in truth, justice, and equality for everyone in a world of lies, greed and corruption. He doesn't write stories that will just grab readers, he also does stories that have been ignored like the ones about the homeless, corporate greed, corruption.

If we go back to his early days, he's also a guy madly in love with a woman who doesn't care one bit about him because she is in love with another man (who soul-shatteringly is really his alter ego). Eventually she grows to respect Clark as a colliege and as a person and even develops feelings for him, Clark not Superman.

Asking this question is completely useless because as soon as it is asked about one superhero, the same question has to apply to every superhero. And the answer is moot because no one will know with any certainty what a character would be without their powers after their origin story because (unless you write for a comic company) we don't write the stories.

And to the OP, I don't know if your intentions were agressive and negative, but it sure comes off that way. The title is insulting and the fact that the first post is less than ONE sentence sounds like a challenge. It really comes off like your insulting Superman fans for liking something you don't like. Okay, you don't like Superman, I DON'T CARE. Most Superman fans don't care if you don't like him. Why do you care if and why we like him? if you dislike something, why even bother? There are a hell of a lot of things I dislike, and I don't bother to give them a second thought because, unless I am forced to deal with them frequently, have little to no impact on my life.

This.

iSHADOW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman isn't just his powers at all.

Without his powers he still has: more willpower than Hal Jordon, more determination than Batman, more heart than Wonder Woman. He still mastered 2 kryptonian martial arts, can box, and trained pressure points by Batman. He can even be used to inspire hope in the real world. That's why he's so cool. With or without powers he's still a "Super" man.

Prove it. Without his powers, he wouldnt be Him.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#111  Edited By ComicStooge

@ishadow said:

@allstarsuperman said:

Without his powers he still has: more willpower than Hal Jordon, more determination than Batman, more heart than Wonder Woman. He still mastered 2 kryptonian martial arts, can box, and trained pressure points by Batman. He can even be used to inspire hope in the real world. That's why he's so cool. With or without powers he's still a "Super" man.

Prove it. Without his powers, he wouldnt be Him.

Of course he'd still be him. A good Superman story should always put the "man" before the "Super".

If the only reason I liked a character was for their power, wouldn't I like some idiotically powerful anime character instead?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
    deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@the_vein said:

@i_like_swords said:

@the_vein said:

@i_like_swords said:

@deadcool said:

A good guy that would do anything to do the right thing.

Agreed, but so is damn near the majority of superheroes. What's special about Superman? Does he have a weapon unique to him? Does he have a unique characteristic? Does he have some form of personal conflict with himself because of the way he is? (Hulk for example, X-men being shunned by large populace, Spider-man vs Jonah Jameson, I could go on). In short, no. He's basically perfect, and widely accepted by all humans on DC earth. He has nothing wrong with him physically or mentally which prevents him from doing his superhero duties. I just don't see where the interest is besides the fact he's so powerful...

You're presenting a false dichotomy by comparing him to other heroes who still have their powers. Without his powers, Hulk is just a scientist with zero drama in his life or anything interesting about him, without their powers, the X-Men are just normal humans who wouldn't be shunned or otherwise noticed by the population of the world, without his powers, Spider-Man is just a freelance photographer, J.J. wouldn't give two shits about him.

Superman has plenty of character without taking his powers into account, but they are also a part of who he is. His ability to remain a good and just person despite his godlike power, his loneliness at being one of the last remaining Kryptonians in the universe, his struggle to be more human than maybe even humans can be. If you're going to say, "What's Superman without his powers," you can't compare him to other, powered, super heroes. You may as well ask what is Batman without infinite wealth or any tool he wants or superhuman combat capabilities.

In that post I may have strayed away from the "no powers" point, but if you look at what I bolded, I was comparing his characteristics to those of the Superheroes I listed (My examples were more along the lines of the conflicts that come with the powers, not the powers themselves, conflicts that Supermans stories don't really have a lot of gloss around) I'm basically saying, these characters I listed all have unique personalities/physical characteristics (Spider-man being a high school nerd, which people can relate to. The dynamic of Bruce Banner being puny compared to the Hulk. Bruce is also very intelligient which is may spark reader interest). Superman seems to lack these kind of things, at least to me. It's hard for me to relate to a guy, even on comic book superhero level, that could lift cars as a baby.

So, if he couldn't lift cars a baby, what is special about his character? But then, there are things about his character that people like, so I'm not going to sit and argue he is an empty character, because he isn't. Just saying, there isn't anything particularly unique about him that interests me. Only reason I made this thread, to get feedback on my views.

Spiderman hasn't been a high school nerd for like twenty years. He's a very successful man who used to have an incredibly attractive wife before the devil took her away, even still, Parker hasn't been in highschool for many, many years. Everyone is puny compared to the Hulk, and there are tons and tons and tons of characters who are super intelligent like Banner.

The fact that you think Superman could lift cars as a baby shows you've never read Superman comics, and forces me to believe you're making this thread just to rile up Superman fans, which is too bad, since that means no matter what anyone says you'll just continue saying Clark is a boring character, but he isn't, and I think you're doing yourself a disservice by stubbornly refusing to see what's so great about him.

You obviously haven't read all of my posts on here if you think that is my view or the purpose of this thread. Go back a few pages before you label me a hater. Why is it considered hate when someone chooses to discuss a popular character? It isn't.

Superdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Billionaire, Playboy, Philanthropost...

Oh, wait...

Lol

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pcn24454 said:

A really nice guy who tries to help how he can.

That's what I feel too.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course he'd still be him. A good Superman story should always put the "man" before the "Super".

Good point .

PCN24454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Have you ever watched Smallville Episode #5.2. It's a good show of what Clark is like.

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen them all but I can't remember this episode. I'll have to throw it in and check it out. :D

sage1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Without his powers Superman is Clark Kent. A nice guy trying to find his place in the world while standing up to social injustice. He is the guy that would go out of his way to defend the weak even at great personal sacrifice. He is the guy that would never compromise on hie principles regardless of whatever. He deals with all the insecurities we face about our identity.

Maybe it is just me but I find Clark Kent to be an interesting character. Someone that inspires me to be better. His powers are just a part of what makes him Superman, it is his character that truly make him Super. If I just wanted to read about someone with a whole lot of powers I'd read about Sentry or Hyperion or any of the other characters that have as much power as him.

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@perpetr8rmike: I dunno. Would you read a Peter Parker comic where he never got bit by a radioactive spider and never had to lead the double life as Spider-Man? You would basically be reading a comic of a guy who does well in college, gets the girl, and lives happily ever after. Not as much as a comic as a sitcom really. Actually, it could end up blander than that.

The reason Superman stands out is because he is (supposedly) perfect: he is the ideal. He is truth and justice personified. Superman can't be selfish (For Tomorrow explores this). Superman can't simply take over the world and dominate it (like Wonder Woman seems to want to do sometimes). Superman can't abuse his power and try to kill anyone he believes is evil (Mr. Majestic, I'm looking at you). Superman can't do these things because he has to be the moral ideal. I think Spider-Island showed just exactly what would happen if normal people with even slightly corrupted or selfish views on the world would do with superpowers. And those were just Spider-Man's powers. Can you imagine the chaos or craziness if everyone (or at least a lot of us) had his powers? Good God. There wouldn't be enough planets to go around.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him."

The goodness in Kal-El that was instilled and nurtured in him by Ma and Pa Kent makes Superman who he his. Without his powers Clark is still an upstanding and honorable man that none, save possibly Captain America, could compare to. If you want to pick on Superman about his powers, then the real question is, "What are any of these heroes without their powers?"

Obviously the superpowers are important in comics. It adds to the fantasy that comics like these generally are supposed to have. Yes, Superman's are explored far more than the "average" hero because Superman's legacy started with quantifying his powers: faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, and so on.

If I'm being brutally honest (and I am) this thread really just seems to me to be a huge freaking spite thread.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#120  Edited By PowerHerc

He's a non-powered, but for all attempt and purposes "human", alien.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Alak

I enjoy reading Superman and I'll be happy to explain why I like him regardless of his powers. Keep in mind that I haven't read New 52 Superman, so everything I say pertains to his pre-Flashpoint version(s).

Every superhero has the goal of saving the day, but their methods of doing so differ. While they embody similar moral codes that could be generalized in a few sentences, Superman is one of the few that takes the concept of goodness to the extreme. Yes, it puts off a lot of readers, but this is exactly why I like him. He's like the Captain America of the DC universe since everyone (in said universe) knows just exactly what he stands for. He has clear cut guidelines as to how he will live his life, and those define his every action. I understand that I'm speaking pretty vague right now, but bear with me as I try to figure out how to describe him in the best way possible.

Superman is the hero that every hero wants to be. It's not because he has unrivaled power. It's because he represents how heroes should act, fight, present themselves to the public, treat their friends, etc. He's the guy who will do everything he can to help you out. Even with a bad history, if you show that you're willing to change, he will be there to support you. He will place absolute faith in you as a coworker, as a teammate, and as a friend. He will be the one who can provide hope when there appears to be none. This is the man that imbues you with courage through his very own perseverance and drive to succeed. All these qualities makes him one of the best leaders in the DC universe, despite not having the same tactical abilities as Batman, Wonder Woman, Mr. Terrific, etc. Everyone, even the darkest crime fighters, are inspired by Superman to some extent. Some of them know that they could never reach such a level of moral altitude, but his very presence is a reminder of what they should try to achieve. He's a hero who is always optimistic, is loved by the public, has a fantastic relationship with law enforcement, and has friends in the hero community he can always call upon when in need.

So take away all of his power and see what you have left. Everything I mentioned above still remains, because it's part of his personality. Like I said, he is the Captain America of the DC Universe. He will still be capable of inspiring others around him. Since most street levelers are pretty dark and shadowy, I highly doubt Clark Kent would become a masked vigilante. Instead, he'll just focus more on his job as a reporter. We know that he's good at investigation and he writes eloquently enough to grab the attention of his readers. He's even won an award for his journalism. Combine his efforts alongside Lois Lane's, and you have a dynamic duo that's prepped for outing corrupt businessmen and politicians.

Yeah, if Superman didn't have his powers, I would still enjoy reading him because I enjoy his personality more than his abilities. There are others who can fly, shoot stuff from their eyes, be really strong, and/or have insane alien combat training. Just imagine Daily Planet journalist Clark Kent with Superman's personality, and you'll have a fantastic character to work with.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even without super powers, my belief is that Superman's red briefs could still earn lots of dollars at chippendales.

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even without super powers, my belief is that Superman's red briefs could still earn lots of dollars at chippendales.

And then there's this lulz

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Without his powers he is a kind and moral man. He would not be useful in regards to combating evil any more though...

Darkseid_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: Man with a sweet rocket in the barn who excels at regular everyday things.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By ssejllenrad

He'll be an average nice guy. But I think the question is pointless. Why ask what would make him stand out after stripping him of what essentially makes him Superman? It's like asking take away Bruce's money and resources and his parents not being dead... What makes him stand out after that? Or what makes Thor standout if he wasn't a god? Nothing! Because that's not what they're supposed to be.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Um... he's still Superman but without his powers?

Overused yet still effective scan
    Overused yet still effective scan

Endanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#128  Edited By Endanger

@i_like_swords said:

@greatcaesarsghost said:

What is any Super powered character without their powers? Think about that.

Wolverine is just a psychopath who has managed to control himself.

Spider-Man is some nerd.

Captain America is just some scrawny do-gooder.

Captain Marvel is some little kid who's sweet an innocent.

I don't see why you feel the need to single out Clark on this matter.

Many, many people can relate to Peter Parkers story. Not even going to explain it in detail. He is certainly not "some nerd".

Well, Superman without his powers would be a guy who grew up on a farm, and then went to college, and then worked at a news station writing newspapers and eventually becoming a damn good reporter. And then get married.

Yeah, that's completely unrelatable, I mean nobody ever grew up on a farm or worked as a reporter....you know....completely ridiculous things.

But in all seriousness, if you try to incorporate things that other Superheroes have into Superman(relationship problems, rock star, singer, cool gangster, drug-addict) then he wouldn't be Superman.

You try to make him a womanizing maniac like Wolverine, he wouldn't be Superman

Have him act like a douche like Cyclops, then he wouldn't be Superman

You try all that US Military stuff like Cap, and his all preachy tone, he wouldn't be Superman

You try that Spider-Man stuff and make him a loser and a nerd with witty comments, well actually Superman is the closest to Spider-Man really because Clark Kent is kind of awkward, kind of a geek in High School, maybe not to the extent that Peter Parker is, but you get the point. Obviously Clark Kent isn't some smooth talker like how Bruce Wayne or Tony Starks is. Actually from a personality standpoint, he probably is the closest to Peter Parker if you want to compare, you can say that he's not as interesting as Peter Parker because Clark doesn't go through as much grief or relationship troubles, you're right, he doesn't, but strictly personality-wise, they're somewhat similar, their attitudes are much more "friendly" and "lighter" than other Super-Heroes. And plus they both deal with Science a lot.

Alak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was looking through some of my old Nightwing comics, and I found a pretty neat scene that describes Superman really well:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I believe that superman is essentially hope. You could take away his powers but it wouldn't stop him from doing anything. He is just that type of person. His morals and his personality don't make him boring they make him intresting to see that there can be people like him. People that are good. That's basically what superman is to me.

area52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By area52

@i_like_swords

Silver Age is 200 quadrillion times better than the New 52.
    Silver Age is 200 quadrillion times better than the New 52.

If you've read Superman no.158 or Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen no.69, then you'll know that Superman can still be an incredible character even without his powers. Well, at least the Silver age version of him can be.

In Superman 158, people with his powers start stealing stuff from people so Superman chases them. Unfortunately, they fly away from Superman. Superman suspects they are Kandorians who somehow regain normal size despite Superman's best efforts proving fruitless. Long story short Superman takes Jimmy to his fortress where they shrink down to investigate. Jimmy comes with Supes because Superman isn't Super in Kandor and Jimmy speaks Kandorian. They parachute and land near an Old Man named Nor-Kann's House. He tells them to leave as a Scientist called Than-Ol invented a resizing ray and convinced everyone that Superman intentionally kept them small.

Kryptonian Culture is deep and there is a lot of lore. For an example: Var-El(Superman's Great Grandfather) Jor-El I(Superman's Grandfather and Jor-El II have all experienced Earth's Atmosphere and gained Superman's Powers.
    Kryptonian Culture is deep and there is a lot of lore. For an example: Var-El(Superman's Great Grandfather) Jor-El I(Superman's Grandfather and Jor-El II have all experienced Earth's Atmosphere and gained Superman's Powers.

Superman tries to tell the people that he didn't try to keep them small. The crowd starts attacking him so Jimmy saves him by driving them out of there. They retreat back to Nor Kann's house and decide to Rip-off Batman and Robin so they can clear up this mess without a mob hunting them. Instead of using a Bat and a Robin they using the Kryptonian avians Nightwing and Flamebird.

No Caption Provided

They then Fashion some incredible Stylish costumes and use Kryptonian jets to make a flight inducing utility belt.

No Caption Provided

This issue is really awesome so I won't spoil the rest and it displays how Superman can be interesting without his powers. The night time they take on these personas is in Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen no.69.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, he survived lossing his red underwear, I'm certain he could survive losing his powers too....

area52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He doesn't have more willpower than Hal Jordon. As we see in Batman Darkest Knight Batman becomes the greatest green lantern and even when Superman Wonderwoman and some guy also become lanterns because the Guardians want to stop Bats none of them surpass his willpower. "Can box" are fucking me? Yeah no shit I "can box" too. He doesn't have more determination than Batman. He may know pressure points but he wasn't trained by Batman. The two "martial arts" he learnt means nothing. Stop pulling this shit out of your ass and putting it on a pedestal for everyone to view it. Without his superpowers, he gets knocked out with a single punch.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for life_without_progress
    life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

For the modern depiction of Superman (outside of his New 52 incarnation), a role model.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@area52: It is with great pleasure that I now flag you

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reactor: and how often do the mods come here anymore?

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A reporter, a husband, a father, a good simaritan, a genius ...

Avatar image for lightyagamigod2
    lightyagamigod2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even without powers, superman would still be the most virtuous man on the planet

MeHateSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#140  Edited By MeHateSuperman

His powers are part of his personality, as his lack of corruption and cynicism is a statement in itself for someone so powerful, as is his empathy for someone who is so mentally, emotionally and physically resilient - Superman knows everyone's name and where they live, and he's almost always polite, not because anyone made him but because that's just how he is. Superman works best, for me, as a quasi-divine/ideal man, representing the apex of Doc Savage optimism about the ultimate perfection of humans not only in physical and mental terms but someone who is able to wrestle with the greatest difficulties of human conflicting and desires without failing. It's a weird personality and very difficult for most people to write, especially when you try to get into the weeds of what is going on in his mind.

Without his super intelligence, will, and various abilities he's kind of like Captain America but more 'looking for the best outcome' than going for some ideal. But the character was literally created to be super powerful as a defining characteristic, he'd be a different person altogether without his powers, though probably a nice guy who's very brave most of the time.

But, putting aside his powers (assuming he's still Superman) I LOVE his pre-crisis personality. He's so god dang funny, very smart but kind of corny, plays pranks, does charity events for kids all the time, lectures bank robbers on getting a legit lifestyle and giving up their errors. I would absolutely love to meet someone like Superman, if he was actually as intelligent, genuinely caring and earnest as he behaves in the comics. I love that he doesn't lie about anything but constantly tricks people, it's absurd and to imagine a cosmic demigod doing this to these nice young office workers is a riot. Superman is an editor in the 70s idea of the best dad in the world/Universe. As the banners at Miracle Monday and Superman Day usually read, "We Love You, Superman". That's the kind of reaction he's supposed to provoke, imo, not that he's ridiculously powerful and is the admirable savior of reality twice a week, but that he's so nice and good to know that people forget that about him and just treat him like their best friend, almost unconsciously.

I don't think talking about selfishness or not is very productive in reality and I'll entirely avoid the question. There's no contradiction between Superman being a moral paragon and having almost no serious inclination not to do so. He doesn't owe people anything, he's not obliged to protect anyone, but he feels like he should and thinks it makes the world better if he does. He's not very judgmental about other people, and would rather talk than fight.

You can look at the struggles and virtues of other characters and compare them to Superman, and he would do that, too: he's more interested in giving credit than receiving it. But all those people who know him realize there is something unique to Clark's mind or spirit that none of them have, whatever they may share or exceed him in other ways. The most important thing about Superman isn't that he has powers but that the person who has those powers is him.

Villains in DC who try to kill Superman in DC are regularly considered insane, because 1) he really hasn't done anything to them they didn't invite by abusing others 2) they'll probably die when the world is destroyed without Superman around and 3) actually succeeding at this will have a lot of very powerful people very, very angry at you.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.