Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

What if Superman was no longer vulnerable to Kryotonite?

Barkley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Barkley

ive always thought the idea of Kryptonite was stupid....its myth that superheroes all have weakness Spiderman has the same weakness that most human have he just tougher, wolverine is immortal, so is the Hulk,Thor, and Captain America without his shield he can be shot like all of us....Batman bleeds all the time.. without the Big green K...Superman would need all his tougher Villains to come out Lex luthor could be more rival that just tries to impede him or just keep Red K that's the fun one....what is you guys thoughts...it make writers have work

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#2  Edited By Joygirl

THE WORLD WILL EXPLURRD.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that wld be good cuz then the writers will actually have to think of something rather than using kryptonite,imo kryptonite shldnt not exist but there shld be a limited amount,for the longest time it was the rarest substance in the universe and they shld maintain that.i hate krypronite bein used as a plot device every other story arc to bring supes down....and yea writers,if they wanna use it shld use other colors and experiment with what effects they have,that wld make for good stories.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dunno. I don't think kryptonite is BAD per-say, just that it's been overused is all (ESPECIALLY green kryptonite, though I rarely see other ones being mentioned so, I can't really say too much about those, though I like the idea."

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Better stories would be made!

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

xblah_blahx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Barkley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just realized I spelled kryptonite wrong......I came with idea that green K doesn't kill him but it can be used as a power source that the weapon strong enough to hurt Superman....or make some like Metallo strong enough to hurt Superman.... and it should only be 3 pieces of Kryptonite on earth one being in Metallo's chest

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Press Oblivion

If he was no longer vulnerable to Kryptonite, then he would be vulnerable to something else. Kryptonite is the balance/counterbalance to Superman's powers so if not that, then something else.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deaditegonzo

Kryptonite is annoying but has been used well every once in a great while, like in Alex Ross' "Justice". So here's what i'd do:

-K-nite exposure gave Lex an extreme, nearly untreatable form of cancer. His constant experimental treatments, the only thing keeping him alive, and causing baldness.

-Kryptonite IS INCREDIBLY RARE, only one meteor was ever found, by Lex, who made a synthesized version of the radiation, and a canon with synthesized K-nite, which is severely weakened.

-That last stone was used for two more experiments (by Lex): 1) Creating Kryptonite Man. The experiment was a success and a failure. He is a K-nite battery, as Supes is a Solar Battery, nearly as powerful as Superman (with K-nite vision lol), but he hungers for K-nite, he needs exposure as Superman needs yellow sun, & 2) Making the heart of Metallo (id follow the style and plot of the animated series, WHICH WAS FREAKING GREAT).

- The synth K-nite isnt as effective at "feeding K-nite Man" either. As such, he starts hunting Metallo, the last holder of K-nite. This could lead to some awesome situations, like Superman having to DEFEND Metallo.

Anyway, no K-nite rings, no never ending supply of K-nite weapons, etc etc. And i'd make red sun radiation, as it is occasionally portrayed, not a "weakness" at all, but rather completely "indifferent" to him. It shouldnt deplete his reserves of solar energy (which makes no sense, he evolved to live under a red sun), it just doesnt charge him. Leave him under only a Red Sun too long and he will become a normal person. On that note, explore what the more intense blue/white stars do to his abilities.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By dernman

There doesn't need to be Kryptonite or any balance. DC is a big universe and many things can harm Superman. That being said I don't think it needs to go way totally. it just needs to change how they do it. Make it very rare. Make it so the time to effect him is longer and the recovery is also longer. Most important of all stop over using it.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, as far as the effects of K-nite, id make it painfully clear that K-nite is NOT enough to make a Normal Human a match for Superman. Lex, with K-nite and a Super Suit, or say Aquaman with a piece of K-nite, should be a challenge, but Batman with a ring, or Lex with a piece should be completely useless.

Barkley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman:

ive got an idea im working on I hope I don't get sued....lol

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By colonyofcells

Kryptonite was not necessary when Superman was weaker in 1938. Just let Superman be knocked out by tanks, missiles, etc. Lex Luthor with iron man armor should be able to knock out Superman. Kryptonian weapons should also be able to knock out superman. Kryptonite can be retained as a kryptonian power source whose radiation is dangerous to everyone like other radioactive materials found on earth. Superman can wear kryptonian armor to avoid getting knocked out easily and can also have a helmet that covers the face as needed. Superman can also use kryptonian weapons and gadgets as needed. Clark Kent will be exposed once he starts his career as Superman so Clark Kent can continue as an independent journalist once the world sees Superman is Clark Kent (maybe his helmet gets knocked off in the first Superman story).

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

He'd still have to worry about Red Sun Radiation and villains with magical powers.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the_stegman  Moderator

I don't mind it, every Achilles needs his heel.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By colonyofcells

Both kryptonite and magic can be used as power sources. Normal magic can hurt Batman and powerful magic can hurt Superman. Red suns should give energy to Superman and I don't see red sun energy as a weakness. If Superman can absorb energy like Parasite or Captain Atom, both kryptonite and magic should actually make Superman stronger.

Barkley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Barkley
    w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By w0nd

I don't mind it because it is a valid weakness, without it you are just going to have bigger baddies showing up that he has to get stronger to beat, and after a while I hated dbz for this reason. Or he would just be written inconsistently, like the hulk. Sometimes hulk busters can take him out, other times he is punching out god's and eating blackholes or something stupid.

wolverine1610

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol yes because we need a reason for superman to be even more super, i agree it needs to be more rare than it is but to take it out completely would not be good at all

Barkley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Barkley

@wolverine1610: Superman is not the most powerful being in the DC universe close....but no

Avatar image for lieutenant_awkward
    Lieutenant_Awkward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always wondered about the overabundance of kryptonite on Earth haha. I agree, they should use it very rarely.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Kryptonite doesn't even need to be utilized to bring a good plot or villain to a Superman story. It's been more centred towards Lex Luthor and the "normal" villains Superman has. Kryptonite has barely been used in the New 52, albeit there haven't been any good stories outside Morrison's run and Diggle's solo issue( which ironically used Kryptonite)...

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By Bruxae

@dernman said:

Barkley marked this as the best answer

There doesn't need to be Kryptonite or any balance. DC is a big universe and many things can harm Superman. That being said I don't think it needs to go way totally. it just needs to change how they do it. Make it very rare. Make it so the time to effect him is longer and the recovery is also longer. Most important of all stop over using it.

Very much this.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

they use this guy
    they use this guy

Epicbeast3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Luthor is dead

Barkley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx: I wonder how the new 52 doomsday will look?

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By colonyofcells

Doomsday is just a Hulk clone so Doomsday will probably continue to look like Hulk. Maybe Doomsday will get armor too or at least some sandals.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@barkley: maybe they will make it sparkle, after seeing cyborg superman I have a feeling that all his foes will undergo a facelift of sorts

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PowerWoman

Take vulnerable to Kryotonite

Take red sun

Take magic

so,DC can creater doomsday to fight with superman?a good story?

Nope,Just read Pre-crisis comics,so many streets of garbage characters,PC mongul,PC darkseid(right,the PC darkseid feats isnt match PC superman)PC mon-el,PC Ultra boy,PC Validus

these charater just like doomsday,in the panel,yes,they are can match even beat superman,but they are feats just incompetent

Good story?not really,BAD story,and more and more Inconsistent level

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Magic, red sun, Brute force. etc.

Dayvid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We could stop seeing batman vs superman threads? :)

But seriously derman summed up my views...

@dernman said:

Barkley marked this as the best answer

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barkley: Wasn't doomsday just an alternate version of superman in the new 52...

No Caption Provided

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

on a side note, I have rarely seen Kroptonite poisoning happen to supes in the new 52

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.