What do you think will happen to Superman if MOS is bad?

#1 Edited by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

If Man of Steel turns out to be below expectations what do you think will happen to superman? Will it destroy the possibility of sequels and the development of a JL movie? Will you begin to believe that Superman can't be made interesting on the big screen? Will it hurt your perception of the charecter?

P.S. this is just a what-if discussion don't think that I expect it to be bad Im DESPERATELY hoping that it's Great.

#2 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

A JL movie will never happen then.

Superman can be well done on the big screen the issue is meddling and not actually picking a story from the Superman mythos.

#3 Posted by ComicStooge (12000 posts) - - Show Bio

It won't be bad.

#4 Posted by mpierce2690 (316 posts) - - Show Bio

Personally, if it tanks, I'm hoping for a movie with the Smallville cast.

Not necessarily a Smallville continuation, but a movie with the best incarnations of Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, and Kents we've had to date. Tom Welling doesn't hurt either, he actually figured out how to be a solid actor in the last couple seasons. Seems like a waste to not use them after ten years, and I still want see Welling as Superman.

#5 Posted by Jayso4201 (595 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman is the stable, even if its the worst movie ever made he's not going anywhere.

#6 Posted by jrock85 (2874 posts) - - Show Bio

I have faith in Nolan.

#7 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

I will laugh aloud heartily.

#8 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

The same thing that happened after all the other bad Superman movies.

#9 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think it will be bad but since the question is hypothetical, I'll bite.

If it is bad, prepare for the disses of Superman haters. Superman sucks this. Superman sucks that. It was expected blah blah blah... We knew he wouldn't be a success yadda yadda yadda.... But that is the good part. Worse would be the fanboy outrage. "You ruined Superman! We will kill you!!!!" kinda crowd.

In the end, it will have an effect that will reverberate throughout WB history. Mark my words: There will never be a Superman film ever again. Strike one (Superman 4), Strike two (Superman Returns), Strike three (MOS). The greedy bastards at the top of corporate hierarchy will leave the Superman franchise (at least outside the comics) in the gutter.

#10 Posted by JonSmith (3988 posts) - - Show Bio

#11 Posted by darth_brendroid (1717 posts) - - Show Bio

They will treat the cinematic franchise with as much hesitance as they do Wonder Woman for the foreseeable future. They have no other superhero properties lined up to restore faith in any other franchise other than Batman - their Justice League film plans may even be postponed further because of the backlash against MOS and, earlier, Green Lantern. Needless to say, DC will probably slip even more behind Marvel in the cinematic 8-ball unless Marvel trips over its own success.

#12 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

I don't think it will be bad but since the question is hypothetical, I'll bite.

If it is bad, prepare for the disses of Superman haters. Superman sucks this. Superman sucks that. It was expected blah blah blah... We knew he wouldn't be a success yadda yadda yadda.... But that is the good part. Worse would be the fanboy outrage. "You ruined Superman! We will kill you!!!!" kinda crowd.

In the end, it will have an effect that will reverberate throughout WB history. Mark my words: There will never be a Superman film ever again. Strike one (Superman 4), Strike two (Superman Returns), Strike three (MOS). The greedy bastards at the top of corporate hierarchy will leave the Superman franchise (at least outside the comics) in the gutter.

This pretty much.

#13 Posted by sinestro_GL (3050 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing.

Superman Returns and Green Lantern were pretty bad...DC will just have to move on...

#14 Posted by Ms. Omega (4403 posts) - - Show Bio

@JonSmith said:

I see Superman will be dead to you.

#15 Posted by JonSmith (3988 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ms. Omega: More like dead in general. If his movie fails, Warner Bros. (and by extension, DC) will get the message that Superman just doesn't sell like he used to, regardless of how much they screwed up the movie themselves. So Superman will most likely be less focused on in favor of Batman. Again.

#16 Posted by The Stegman (23042 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing, life will go on.

#17 Posted by clemj (817 posts) - - Show Bio

no JL movies, and the doom of the franchise

#18 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

If it tanks, they'll relaunch him in JLA with everyone else.

#19 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

It won't be. I'm extremely confident in the cast, David Goyer, Zack Snyder, and Chris Nolan.

#20 Edited by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Somehow, it'll be Batman's fault.

#21 Posted by Douche_Macenzi (11 posts) - - Show Bio

Reboot it again in 5 years. I doubt they will ever give up on superman.

#22 Posted by Wolfrazer (6045 posts) - - Show Bio

Well bad is an opinon really in entertainment, so the movie can't be really bad because there will be some that like it regardless of how it turns out.

#23 Posted by Supes1903 (137 posts) - - Show Bio

It won't be bad. There's too much riding on it at this point. Also, at the very least it'll be a critical hit due to the high powered list of cast members.

#24 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

a nerd will get his rage wings.

#25 Posted by supermanfan1234 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

superman fans everywhere will be angry,and some might cry.

#26 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (881 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, I think it'll do considering the writers, producer, and director. Hopefully the (supposed) Man of Steel comic will help it a little bit, especially if Scott Snyder writes. This isn't really answering the question, but I think it'd be cool if the comic tied in with the movie. It gives you some of the story, you see the movie for some more, and then the comic continues... it could be a comic/movie tie-in which could be cool if done right... If they're not already planning that.

#27 Posted by CrimsonCake (2668 posts) - - Show Bio

@Douche_Macenzi said:

True.

#28 Posted by supermanfan1234 (206 posts) - - Show Bio

@CrimsonCake said:

@Douche_Macenzi said:

True.

#29 Posted by Asgardian Hulk (77 posts) - - Show Bio

If it does worse than Superman Returns and Green Lantern, it will be the end of Superman until Justice League.

They may ask Tom Welling to play Superman for Justice League, since he has played Clark Kent more than anyone in history. Then, in Justice League we'll see Superman assemble the team. And if Justice League flops...?

I think Man of Steel trailer has a Superman Returns feel. But Superman Returns was essentially Brian Singer's sequel/remake of Superman (1978). Man of Steel is going to be a Christopher Nolan and Zach Synder's remake/reboot of both Superman (1978) and Superman 2 (1980). Do we really have to see another origin for Superman? Do we really have to see Superman fight Zod again? Why does Nolan always have to use villains that have already been used for his comic book movies? Joker, Two-Face, Bane, Catwoman, and General Zod. Use a new villains like you did in Batman Begins.

I like Nolan's Batman films. But I don't like that Christopher Nolan (Batman trilogy), Zach Synder (Watchmen, Dawn of the Dead), and David Goyer (Blade trilogy) are the 3 people with the most creative control over a Superman film. Brian Singer was great for the X-men, but it didn't translate to Superman; I sense a repeat of history.

#30 Posted by MisterKetch (253 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn't excited about this before but when I heard how involved Nolan was involved I think i've pretty much made up my mind that this won't be good. Now don't get me wrong I like Nolan, Inception was incredible and the DK was fantastic (begins fell flat to me and I had issues with DKR), his more "realistic' sense to batman never really did it for me because I think what makes batman so great is the fact that a "regular" human doing what he does in the comics is bananas, and while I had issues as to the final products I think the "real" approach works for Batman (more or less).. but not other comic characters.

I would be happy to be proven wrong on this but from what I've seen so far I just don't see it happening. The biggest issue is DC wants to set up for a JL movie much in the way marvel did for avengers, this raises the bar exponentially since the movie going public has that template in mind already and MOS not only needs to be a great movie on its own but NEEDS to get the public excited for a JL movie and everything between the two.

If MOS tanks, WB will need to decide if its worth rebooting batman this soon after Nolan's trilogy, I mean hey spider man did ok but idk I see any future DC movies being severally delayed if not outright cancelled for the foreseeable future, because if superman fails why would the non comic reading public even bother to see Wonder Woman or the Flash?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.