What do you like about New 52 supes and what do you not like?

#1 Edited by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

Like the title says what do you like and not like about the new 52 superman Also, if you were a superman writer what would you do with the character.

Personally, I like the costume change(though i hated it at first), but i hate how they changed superman's personality and I would make him a little bit more like the pre new 52 superman/clark kent. I really like Geoff Johns take on the superman mythos and I wish DC made Secret Origin canon

#2 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

I like that they got rid of Lois Lane. I hope they just kill off Lois Lane. I prefer a weaker Superman who relies more on kryptonian science and reboot kryptonite into a kryptonian weapon of mass destruction. I never liked the silly kryptonite weakness. The new costume does not look like armor and needs to look more like armor. Geoff Johns brought back the goofy Clark and I am glad they put back the heroic Clark of John Byrne which was based on George Reeves. I prefer Jonathan and Martha to be alive.

#3 Posted by Squalleon (4711 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eternal19: I like his personality more! I always thought of pre 52 supes as a bit one dimensional!

The costume was a win from the beginning for me!Supes/WW was a releationship i wanted to see in continuity since i read Kingdom Come

Pretty much supes was a win for me!thats why i loved the new 52 :-P

#4 Posted by Z3RO180 (6669 posts) - - Show Bio

Every thing so far and lobdell a run

#5 Posted by Skewer (325 posts) - - Show Bio

I like how they brought back more of the golden age superman back. What I hate is how shafted Lois lane is, I know Clarks with Wonder Woman, but that doesn't mean she has to be treated like trash. I know those are strong words, but I'm not really happy with how it's going for Lois lane and I rarely use the word trash and that says a lot.

#6 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

Am I the only one that thinks Lobdell's run has been a little lackluster, especially after the hype prior to the releases?

#7 Posted by Mrfuzzynutz (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

I like really like how the mix some silver age Kryptonian mojo with him. His suit, the Fortress and of course his power levels which I hated at first. But it hit me, while other companies have a Superman knockoffs the Sentries, and Supreme's of the world all incredibly strong, yet the real deal was powered down because he was just TOO strong? Not fair ...

I dislike that he isn't "Big Blue" anymore, no one looks up to him, he doesn't inspire anyone, in fact he is looked upon like he is a douche by other heroes. JL 15 was the first time I seen signs of the old Superman and think we need to see more of that

#8 Edited by BR_Havoc (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

Guess I am the odd man out here. I dislike most things about the new 52 Superman (Suit is pretty cool), his personality is terrible and in my opinion they should not of tried to make him the golden age Superman because it was a fact that after the creators left the book that DC had no idea what to do with the character and I have gotten the same vibe here.

He needs to regain his pre new 52 personality and that goes for his alter ego as well. Also lets speed up things with him and Lois already I am sick of this melodramatic Superman. One other thing is I would like them to put a top writer on the book, Lobdell was said to be that guy but his annul and so far Hèl on earth have not been memorable.

#9 Posted by Hanson724 (565 posts) - - Show Bio

I like his costume but thats about it. I don't like that he can bench press the earth 5 days straight and barely break a sweat. I also don't like how he's some emo wuss when he's Clark. It just annoys me. Reminds me too much of Christopher Reeves .I know this is nothing new to say but he is just too strong. POWER DOWN. When he can benchpress planets there's really no place to go.

#10 Posted by JohnReese (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Love him,this itertion is for the new generation and the pre 52 Supes was being turned into a doormat.He also good friends with Batman and Clark now has distinct personality.His relationship with Kara will hopefully improve.His power levels should be off the charts and thats what is happening which I am loving it.The current writers and future ones seem to have a distinct direction in which this character is headed in their own books which is good.2013 should finally be the year of Superman .

#11 Posted by SmashBrawler (5978 posts) - - Show Bio

I like around 70%, but only because the only Superman book I'm reading ATM is Action Comics. The weak points for me would be Justice League and the first two issues of Superman (I didn't go beyond that).

He's not better than Pre-52 Superman though, at least not yet.

#12 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

I would prefer Clark have 52 or more girlfriends. I also prefer Superman as a permanent illegal vigilante or terrorist.

#13 Posted by Deranged Midget (17853 posts) - - Show Bio

For the most part, he's basically the exact same. The costume is growing on me as well.

Moderator Online
#14 Posted by jobbernos (1420 posts) - - Show Bio

i love everything about superman.

#15 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont like:

- I disliked Morrisons early books. I gave up on Action Comics for quite a while. He was just a punk, a Spider-man clone in pretty much every recognizable way. I obviously wanted a canon All Star Superman, and I doubt im the only one.

- I didnt like Perez' run, it had some moments, but as a whole, it was directionless. It really seemed like DC was allowing AC to control the reigns, and as I said, Action Comics was lame.

- I HATED how Kal was still fawning over Lois, even though she was more of a B**** than ever before, and she was dating around while he was acting like a tween with a crush.

- I really like Gary Franks/ Geoff Johns Brainiac, best incarnation ever, and im a little disappointed that we got a new, less interesting version.

- The stupid train KOing him.

I do like:

- Literally pretty much everything else. Some Highlights:

- Like everyone said the "armor" actually grew on me.

- Taking advantage of Superman and Lois' "Divorce", by letting him date, and Clark has REALLY upgraded, in DC cant do much better than Wonder Woman.

- Superman having ABSURD AND FANTASTIC feats, like benching the Earth for five straight days, or moving at hundreds of times the speed of light. He is the greatest, and he should be treated as such.

- Superman's role in the JLA, particularly in the Darkseid arc. I like how he isnt the leader, but rather something of an outsider.

- HELSPONT BEING SET UP AS A MAIN NEMESIS! This is great, he is a villain with some real dignity, and so far he hasnt been jobbed to make Supes look stronger.

- Superman punking Green Lantern and Batman. All thats left is Shazam and Aquaman.

- Superman and Superboys interactions.

- Lex being pushed into the background.

- The 5th Dimensional arc currently in AC.

- Superman is still kind, hopeful, gentle, etc etc, but now he also has real backbone, and I love that. And now even Clark is showing some bite.

What id like to see:

- I'd love to see creative control of Superman handed to Lobdell. Somebody needs to establish Superman as a consistent powerhouse across the line, and encourage the SPECTACULAR "feel". He should be awe inspiring, and he has been, under Lobdell. I missed not having a Superman issue this week.

- Superman and Wonder Woman having a relationship thats a little less Disney, a little less G rated. And, id like to see Superman date around, maybe more Super Heroines and more normal humans, maybe even an inversion of the old love triangle, where now Supes and Clark are seeing different people. And Finally, I really want to see Supes settle with Wonder Woman when the time comes, like in Kingdom Come. It just seems like a deeper connection.

- Superman vs Darkseid and Superman vs Helspont, but I want them to be reoccuring nemesis, and I dont want Supes to Apokolips Now! them, I want him to LOSE.

- Id like to see Supes trained to handle magic, as he was towards the end of the "Pre52". Id like this to actually be done in the background across a couple of books, so we can actually see the difference.

- Some insane cosmic feats, post Sundip. A guy who can lift the Earths weight for five days tired? What could he do supercharged.

- More nods to the Silver Age.

- I WANT TO SEE SUPERMAN FIGHT SMART, using his abilities rather than being a brick. Utilize THAT SPEED, Speed Blitz!

- Superman being inspiring to others, but still being alien too. Maybe the fact he is inspiring alienates him even more?

Theres probably more, but ive already over done it.

#16 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

I like that they got rid of Lois Lane. I hope they just kill off Lois Lane. I prefer a weaker Superman who relies more on kryptonian science and reboot kryptonite into a kryptonian weapon of mass destruction. I never liked the silly kryptonite weakness. The new costume does not look like armor and needs to look more like armor. Geoff Johns brought back the goofy Clark and I am glad they put back the heroic Clark of John Byrne which was based on George Reeves. I prefer Jonathan and Martha to be alive.

so, turn him into batman and kill of one of the best love interests in comics

#17 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

I do see Superman as just Batman with super powers.

#18 Edited by War07 (135 posts) - - Show Bio

@Eternal19: Lois was never suppose to be love interest of superman,she was created to be superman's sidekick and a friend during the golden age.I hate when everyone thinks that Lois is the only women for superman where there so many women superman can have relationship with.I am glad DC finally chose to remove Lois out of superman life.I finally get to see superman going out with different women.I rather see Clark going out with a hot woman who he can have children with rather than that boring and annoying Lois.

#19 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@colonyofcells said:

I do see Superman as just Batman with super powers.

not really. both have completely different personalities, origins, views on crimefighting, their supporting characters are of a different breed, their stories usually have different tones. Batman and superman are nothing alike.

#20 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@War07 said:

@Eternal19: Lois was never suppose to be love interest of superman,she was created to be superman's sidekick and a friend during the golden age.I hate when everyone thinks that Lois is the only women for superman where there so many women superman can have relationship with.I am glad DC finally chose to remove Lois out of superman life.I finally get to see superman going out with different women.I rather see Clark going out with a hot woman who he can have children with rather than that boring and annoying Lois.

maybe not originally, but thats what she became and its been that way for over 70 years. Lois is still a big part of superman's life and Lobdell has been hinting that clark still has feelings for her, they're going to end up together eventually. I see lois as an interesting character, but you're entitled to your own opinion

#21 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (8048 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss the red undies. I really do. And I don't like how he looks so young.

Other than that he's awesome.

#22 Edited by OutlawRenegade (1251 posts) - - Show Bio

I like his costume and the fact that he's in his late twenties instaed of being some forty year old man in undies.

I like his personality but I wish he were more mature like his previous counter part. And I wish his previous counter-part had more of an edge--like the Superman TAS version. So I want a mix of the two personalities--Scott Snyder said he will do this. Hopefully he pulls it off.

I miss the Clark and Lois relationship (and the Wonder Woman and Steve relationship).

I HATE the Superman/Wonder Woman relationship of convenience. Clark wants Lois. Wonder Woman is on the rebound. It complicates the books. It throws off the dynamic of the Trinity. I just hate it.

I like Helspont.

I like the greater alien focus.

I wish there were more new villains he weren't alien invaders though. Can't Clark have a friend who turns evil like Batman or Spider-man? How would he deal with it?

Can we have a super-powered serial killer who just likes to kill?

Can we have a Hank Henshaw villain who isn't Cyborg Superman--like in Smallville Season 11?

Can we have more sympathetic villains who are on Superman's power level (who aren't Kryptonian)?

Can we move away from H'El, Zod, and other Kryptonians?

Can we have a villain Superman is attracted to?

Can we have villains with noble intentions (like Mr. Freeze or Poison Ivy)?

Can we focus more on the psychology of his villains?

Can we have more villains from industrial accidents or military experiments?

Can we see more of Cadmus doing evil stuff?

Can we see more of Max Landis's Atomic Skull?

Can we turn some of the cartoon and movie villains into serious threats, more realistic threats (like Volcana, Dr Destiny, Nuclear Man, Livewire, etc.)

I want Clark to stand up for his personality and say something like "My parents raised me to care about people, and I'm not going to apologize for that."

#23 Posted by TheCannon (19216 posts) - - Show Bio

Like: Everything.

Not like: The Artwork form issue 0 on.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.