Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

What do you guys think about superman's current story arc?

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

i am just curious about how do you feel with the last 2 issues. On the internet you can find many reviews regarding those comics but half of them are terrible and the other half are very positive.

now i really believe that Lobdell gets really to much hate. I think that he has saved this title from the really terrible jeorge perez's run (maybe it was not entirely his fault since dc used to change great part of his scripts at the last second) and from the even more horrible dan jurgen's run.

now superman is represented as a strong(really strong), clever (really clever) and above all confident character and he isn't fighting anymore with exceptional lame enemies like Anguish or some bad copy of a predator affected by the down sindrome ( why in the hell have you done that dc??)

No Caption Provided

i feel like the superman title has started to be interesting thanks to lobdell since "superman #0" and "Superman annual n.1" in which he reintroduced Helspont in a really big ( and effective) way.

After that we have had the crossover "h'el on earth" that was a little(maybe not so little) predictable:another big alien comes to destroy the planet ecc.. but it was still well executed; plus it has provided finally some good interactions between superboy, supergirl and superman and also with the justice league, and it ended with a good and unexpected finale that opens up many possibles stories for the future....or the past,you choose.

with the issue # 17 the status-quo has been restablished and so we can finally see where Scott wants to take his run.

for now i am appreciating the fact that kal has been dating WW and that Lois is going to live with jonathon. we ALL know that things will change, we ALL know that superman is meant to be with lois lane,that's clear as the sun...but there isn't a reason for that to happen so soon. All the point of this new 52 is too make something different, and supes being with Wonderwoman,even if it is not a really new concept....just makes sense. we can simply enjoy all of this untill it lasts.

I liked also how Superman has reacted against the united states senate, showing some strenght of character: they wanted to send some inspectors into the fortress of solitude in order to catalugue and remove everything that could possibly be a threat to the world...and his answer was simply:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Superman is finally going against the authority if he believes he is in the right,and won't take order from anyone. (besides that,it just makes sense that he has refused since there isn't a safer place on earth for those weapons than his fortress).

many complaints against lobdell,expecially regarding Superman # 19, are that he can't write a good dialogue. i don't think that this is entirely true: sometimes (as for the last issue) it MAY be true,since we have superman talking to himself about what he is doing while he freezes and moves a space-ship into space but it was relatively brief and it hasn't ruined an overall good and funny issue. However Scott has proved ,at least to me,that he is able to write a more than decent dialogue with "superman n. 0" and "Superman n. 15" that were ranked 5/5 stars even here on comicvine.

however i can't whait for the next issue, i really want to see an epic fight between Superman and Orion and i also want to see what role will have Hector Hammond... but,most importantly, what do you guys think?

Ciriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been enjoying Superman overall. I haven't really been in my reviewer state of mind for these, and maybe that's why (I don't like to think so). I really just like his character more so than ever.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Deranged Midget

Eh, Lobdell's run is at least easy to look at and for the most part, it's enjoyable. But, it's honestly nothing more than that, despite how hard it tries to be. Which is sad really, because it can be far better than it lets off.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By toptom

Eh, Lobdell's run is at least easy to look at and for the most part, it's enjoyable. But, it's honestly nothing more than that, despite how hard it tries to be. Which is sad really, because it can be far better than it lets off.

yes, you are right.

For now his run hasn't been great nor horrible like the other's take on the character, but i think that dc HAD to make an event like h'el on earth in order to make interact some characters for the very first time. Now i believe that we 'll see where he wants to take superman, but from what i have seen i am finally optimistic.

plus i really love rocafort and aaron kuder does a really nice job.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

@toptom: Yeah Rocafort's art is some of the best to look at and he draws a great Clark/Superman.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By consolemaster001

The scene where supes tells the government to mind their own buisness was badass.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didnt really like his H'el on Earth arc. It felt very unoriginal and H'el was a very boring villian.

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Decent, nothing more.

sage1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sage1000

While I like a lot of lobdell ideas for superman, his execution could be better. For instance the H'el on earth event could have been something truly amazing with better execution but it ended up being okay and while I like the fact that he made superman confident doesn't mean he can't be polite while still asserting his position.

As for the current storyline I hope it turns out to be something great

Press Oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm not really sure what to say. While I'm enjoying Superman at the moment, I think that it has more to do with Rockafort's art than the story. I feel like there was a lot of build up and little resolve to that hype.

I like the little nuances that he's throwing in about Lois in the title possibly foreshadowing things to come with the Wonder Woman relationship.

Over all, it's not bad but it's not "WOW" either.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By kidchipotle

I don't have a problem with it. I think the art makes it so much better though, I love the work. But I am worried that Lobdell is taking over BOTH Superman comics (save for Unchained when it comes out) which pretty much makes him have almost full control over Superman.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deaditegonzo

I really like it, best Superman run ive read for more years than I care to think about. No, its not Kingdom Come or Red Son, I havent read anything that compares to that level of quality. And yes, Rocaforts art is the best there is right now. But anyway, the H'El arc was freaking cool, this current Hector Hammond arc shows a cool, calm, and rational Superman, that the Justice League is BRUTALLY undermining, btw.

Yes, there is a moment where Supes is in a room of his friends being manipulated by Hector Hammond to say crazy things and behave in a ludicrous manner, and instead of being a puppet, just plays it cool and composed

Superman being quite a bit more powerful (Earth benching, Mountain shaking), and according to Lex the most intelligent being on the planet next to himself, and finally, noble and altruistic, but stern and intimidating.

I cant wait for Action Comics to catch up to Superman in quality.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I think Lobdell has great ideas but he has to improve his dialogue!
    seriously he must learn to let the art speak for itself.

Anyway i haven't lost hope and i believe that he will give us a story worthy of our time and money

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By toptom

@deaditegonzo said:

I really like it, best Superman run ive read for more years than I care to think about. No, its not Kingdom Come or Red Son, I havent read anything that compares to that level of quality. And yes, Rocaforts art is the best there is right now. But anyway, the H'El arc was freaking cool, this current Hector Hammond arc shows a cool, calm, and rational Superman, that the Justice League is BRUTALLY undermining, btw.

Yes, there is a moment where Supes is in a room of his friends being manipulated by Hector Hammond to say crazy things and behave in a ludicrous manner, and instead of being a puppet, just plays it cool and composed

Superman being quite a bit more powerful (Earth benching, Mountain shaking), and according to Lex the most intelligent being on the planet next to himself, and finally, noble and altruistic, but stern and intimidating.

I cant wait for Action Comics to catch up to Superman in quality.

i agree pretty much on every thing. i wasn't excited for the Superman title in a loong time.

we have had: "Superman :Grounded" .While it wasn't totally bad(i found some issues to be pretty good) and it was based on a cool idea, it was developed poorly..and its finale was simply horrible.

i don't even want to talk about: "Reign of Doomsday"..(i am still shaking..)

but with the reboot i finally have thought that we could have some good stories (and good artists), but instead we have had the perez and jurgen's run...that were terrible. ( to be fair they weren't entirely bad either: supes vs an invisible monster,or a an evil clone or helspont were funny to read but that's all).

thanks to Lobdell and to Rocafort the nightmare is over..at least for me,since i am appreciating what he is trying to do with the character. Now Superman is a planet mover and a genius but nevertheless he has got some enemies that are far strongher than him just like H'el or Helspont ,who thanks to Lobdell , is in a better shape than ever.

i just disagree on a thing: i am really sad that the Daniels'run on AC will be finished in just 2 months,i really loved his story-telling and his art.

@squalleon said:

I think Lobdell has great ideas but he has to improve his dialogue!

seriously he must learn to let the art speak for itself.

Anyway i haven't lost hope and i believe that he will give us a story worthy of our time and money

actually his dialogue was a little awkaward just in the last issue,and just for some 2 or 3 pages..when Superman was talikg to himself without a reason.However some of his superman's title were ranked 5/5 stars here on CV or on other sites : he is more than capable to write a good dialogue,i think that he just needs to be more constant.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.