What actually happens to Supes' body when exposed to kryptonite?

#1 Posted by CannotSpellMyName (92 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a common fact that kryptonite is Superman's weakness, but I haven't really grasped what effect it actually has on him. Does it take away his powers at the same time as making him sick or does it just make him sick? Like, will Superman be as susceptible to bullets and blunt force as humans when he's exposed to kryptonite or will he be just as durable but sickened by the kryptonite? If so, how does that work, every cell in his body is durable as ####, do they soften or are they in fact as soft as human cells and the biological forcefield around them disappears in the presence of kryptonite? Will kryptonite only make him sick and take his powers away so that others can kill him or can he actually die from kryptonite poisoning if he's exposed to it for too long? Does it vary from writer to writer?

#2 Posted by HolySerpent (12515 posts) - - Show Bio

Kryptonite doesnt takes his powers away but he is definitely weaker around it.

#3 Posted by raecinio (91 posts) - - Show Bio

It slowly kills him (or quickly if it's a kryptonite weapon used to fatally wound him). Something akin to radiation poisoning. It's a good question to ask on whether he loses his power when exposed to kryptonite though, as it seems like normal humans have beaten the crap out of Superman whenever he's exposed to it. Also the relative ease to which he can be mortally wounded by a kryptonite bullet or a kryponite spear (ala the opening to DC Universe Online) begs the question as to why no one in the DC Universe has gone to great lengths to feed Superman a kryptonite death.

#4 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio

The radiation poisons his body, causing him to get weaker as he slowly dies. When it's taken away from him, his powers kick in and heal the negative effects.

#5 Posted by Z3RO180 (6431 posts) - - Show Bio

It will kill him but it doesnt take away his powers also a small bit of kryptonite wount hurt him as much as a big bit.

#6 Posted by TruthJusticeAndTheAmericanWay (10 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it causes an adverse reaction to the solar energy in his body.

#7 Posted by MrMiracle77 (1659 posts) - - Show Bio
@TruthJusticeAndTheAmericanWay said:

It breaks down the yellow-sun radiation that he normally stores and metabolizes in his body, which is painful and potentially deadly if exposed for long enough.  This is why non-powered kryptonians aren't affected by green kryptonite.
#8 Posted by YoggSaron (812 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrMiracle77 said:

It breaks down the yellow-sun radiation that he normally stores and metabolizes in his body, which is painful and potentially deadly if exposed for long enough. This is why non-powered kryptonians aren't affected by green kryptonite.

I like this explanation.

#9 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on which Kryptonite you're talking about.

Regular Kryptonite weakens his body but wouldnt take away his powers.

Other Kryptonites have other effects.

#10 Posted by FanofUltraman (153 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultraman isn't affected by kryptonite. :D

#11 Posted by CannotSpellMyName (92 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrMiracle77 said:

It breaks down the yellow-sun radiation that he normally stores and metabolizes in his body, which is painful and potentially deadly if exposed for long enough. This is why non-powered kryptonians aren't affected by green kryptonite.

There are non-powered Kryptonians? Isn't Superman's powers basic for the Kryptonian race?

#12 Edited by 0n1zuka (3715 posts) - - Show Bio
@CannotSpellMyName: Yes, Kryptonians that live/stay near a red sun are powerless. Since Krypton orbited a red sun, they were similar to humans. Superman's powers are basic for the race when they are under the radiation of a yellow sun (and others like blue and orange if I'm not mistaken).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.