Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Was movie Superman more powerful than comic Superman?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#1 frozen  Moderator

I mean the Christopher Reeve/Routh incarnations. I think he was, he seemed close to the Silver-Age Superman - he was able to reverse time, easily move the Moon, lift a continent with kryptonite inside him, etc.

If anything, his feats seemed more powerful than the New-Earth Superman.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By buttersdaman000

No

The time reverse made no sense, and I think the explanation for it was him going FTL which is something Superman can easily do.

Comic Superman has moved the earth, destroyed moons, and so forth so Reeve moving the moon isn't that impressive.

Comic Superman fought a knockdown brawl with Mangog after being stabbed and injected with kryptonite, he flew through a kryptonite asteroid belt, and a red sun, he's been shot with kryptonite, poisoned with kryptonite and so on. While what Routh Superman did is impressive, it's honestly not something I wouldn't put past comic Superman being able to do. But, the fact that he didn't lose his powers at all after such close exposure is something to write home about.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NotNot necessarily Silver Age. Pre52 Superman has feats that would shame Reeve and Routh's version. New52 benchpressed the weight of the planet for five days. Let that sink in.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@buttersdaman000 said:

No

The time reverse made no sense, and I think the explanation for it was him going FTL which is something Superman can easily do.

Comic Superman has moved the earth, destroyed moons, and so forth so Reeve moving the moon isn't that impressive.

Comic Superman fought a knockdown brawl with Mangog after being stabbed and injected with kryptonite, he flew through a kryptonite asteroid belt, and a red sun, he's been shot with kryptonite, poisoned with kryptonite and so on. While what Routh Superman did is impressive, it's honestly not something I wouldn't put past comic Superman being able to do. But, the fact that he didn't lose his powers at all after such close exposure is something to write home about.

He had help with moving The Earth, and he did destroy moons (but at what density were those Moons?). I mean, he (Reeve) moved the Moon with absolute ease. I'd put Reeve's version above Supergirl of New Earth.

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NotNot necessarily Silver Age. Pre52 Superman has feats that would shame Reeve and Routh's version. New52 benchpressed the weight of the planet for five days. Let that sink in.

This he isn't close to Silver Age one bit.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@thitiki: You don't think reversing time was a Silver-Age feat?

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

Maybe in terms of how ridiculous it was but in terms of power and all that HELL no he broke through Infinity I think it was because he was going so fast.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 frozen  Moderator

The Smallville version was quite strong towards the end, IIRC he was able to move a Planet with ease?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No. Comic Supes is so strong it's like he is overcompensating.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Great feat but stupid anticlimactic ending to an overhyped series ender for a goddamn 10-season show... Hehehe!

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 frozen  Moderator

@thitiki said:

@frozen said:

Maybe in terms of how ridiculous it was but in terms of power and all that HELL no he broke through Infinity I think it was because he was going so fast.

Well isn't that what makes it qualify for a Silver-Age feat? The fact that it was so ridiculous he was able to do such a thing?

@frozen: Great feat but stupid anticlimactic ending to an overhyped series ender for a goddamn 10-season show... Hehehe!

Yeah, I agree. But the last season was actually Superman, unlike the first 5 or 6.

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Well maybe but you were asking if he was more powerful and I ment HELL no he isn't close to Silver Age in terms of power at all.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@buttersdaman000 said:

No

He had help with moving The Earth, and he did destroy moons (but at what density were those Moons?). I mean, he (Reeve) moved the Moon with absolute ease. I'd put Reeve's version above Supergirl of New Earth.

A third of the Earth is still a lot more to move than the whole moon. Superman destroyed the shadow moon, one of Saturns moon, and put a large crack into our moon with a deflected punch. And, before anyone says 'Superman knocked himself out destroying the Shadow moon', it was accelerating at a break-neck pace.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 frozen  Moderator

@thitiki said:

@frozen: Well maybe but you were asking if he was more powerful and I ment HELL no he isn't close to Silver Age in terms of power at all.

Of course he isn't. I just regard that as a Silver-Age feat.

@frozen said:

@buttersdaman000 said:

No

A third of the Earth is still a lot more to move than the whole moon. Superman destroyed the shadow moon, one of Saturns moon, and put a large crack into our moon with a deflected punch. And, before anyone says 'Superman knocked himself out destroying the Shadow moon', it was accelerating at a break-neck pace.

Yes it is, but was it even 1/3 of The Earth? Was it stated that they were all pulling equal amounts? Which of Saturn's moons did it exactly destroy? I'm not familiar with the shadow moon, so could you expand upon that please?

Smallville Superman was able to easily move a Planet within Earth's atmosphere, which is quite impressive. Didn't Reeve's Superman actually have extra powers too?

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By buttersdaman000

@frozen said:

@thitiki said:

@buttersdaman000 said:

@frozen said:

@buttersdaman000 said:

No

Yes it is, but was it even 1/3 of The Earth? Was it stated that they were all pulling equal amounts? Which of Saturn's moons did it exactly destroy? I'm not familiar with the shadow moon, so could you expand upon that please?

Smallville Superman was able to easily move a Planet within Earth's atmosphere, which is quite impressive. Didn't Reeve's Superman actually have extra powers too?

Well, Superman moved the Earth along with 2 other heroes (WW and MMH) who are in his ballpark of strength. Superman also moved the earth on another occasion along with the help of GL. I don't know which of Saturns moons he destroyed, maybe Callisto (?), but he did it with ease. Now, my computer crashed so i don't have access to my files so bare with me...IIRC, Eclipso, or some other Justice League Villain, created a moon, or coated our moon with shadow energy. The moon was accelerating towards the justice league watchtower, and, in order to stop it, Superman bullrushed it and destroyed it. You've probably seen the scan. It's the one where Superman is floating unconscious in space and GL Stewart comes to help him. I think the issue # is JLA 37. Also, just to add, there is another moon feat that the misinformed love to use out of context. The scan shows a handful of kryptonians struggling to move a moon during the New Krypton Arc. What they don't know is that that moon was sent hurtling to them at just under light speed by the Thanagars and they were trying to push it back.

As for Reeve Superman, i'm not sure. As far as I know he had the same powers as comic Superman.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

No Caption Provided

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@frozen said:

@thitiki said:

@buttersdaman000 said:

@frozen said:

@buttersdaman000 said:

No

Well, Superman moved the Earth along with 2 other heroes (WW and MMH) who are in his ballpark of strength. Superman also moved the earth on another occasion along with the help of GL. I don't know which of Saturns moons he destroyed, maybe Callisto (?), but he did it with ease. Now, my computer crashed so i don't have access to my files so bare with me...IIRC, Eclipso, or some other Justice League Villain, created a moon, or coated our moon with shadow energy. The moon was accelerating towards the justice league watchtower, and, in order to stop it, Superman bullrushed it and destroyed it. You've probably seen the scan. It's the one where Superman is floating unconscious in space and GL Stewart comes to help him. I think the issue # is JLA 37. Also, just to add, there is another moon feat that the misinformed love to use out of context. The scan shows a handful of kryptonians struggling to move a moon during the New Krypton Arc. What they don't know is that that moon was sent hurtling to them at just under light speed by the Thanagars and they were trying to push it back.

As for Reeve Superman, i'm not sure. As far as I know he had the same powers as comic Superman.

Yes, but can we really say he was pulling an equal amount? Anyways, I believe you.

However, Captain Marvel who is equal strength of Superman needed help moving The Moon (I believe, the Teen Titans helped him). So is this really consistent with the feats he's shown on other occasions? Just curious.

Reeve Superman was able to somehow make Lois forget she ever knew he was Superman, which Current Superman hasn't shown. He was able to throw those S-shields on the Krpytonians, and if I'm correct, he de-powered them, and he had some stupid ass feats in Superman IV.

Thitiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Thitiki
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By buttersdaman000

@frozen said:

@buttersdaman000 said:

@frozen said:

@thitiki said:

@buttersdaman000 said:

@frozen said:

@buttersdaman000 said:

No

Yes, but can we really say he was pulling an equal amount? Anyways, I believe you.

However, Captain Marvel who is equal strength of Superman needed help moving The Moon (I believe, the Teen Titans helped him). So is this really consistent with the feats he's shown on other occasions? Just curious.

Reeve Superman was able to somehow make Lois forget she ever knew he was Superman, which Current Superman hasn't shown. He was able to throw those S-shields on the Krpytonians, and if I'm correct, he de-powered them, and he had some stupid ass feats in Superman IV.

Well, the argument can be made either way. We know Wonder Woman is weaker than Superman, so he is pulling more than her. Then you have MMH using four arms and one can take that as him either pulling more, or needing some extra arms to pull his weight among the three. We know his strength feats, besides that, don't stack up to Supermans but he is usually portrayed as being on Supermans level. So, it's really just how you take it. I find it easier to just say they each pulled a third.

And no, that wouldn't be consistent. But Captain Marvel is notorious for jobbing in every conceivable way most of the time. He has 1st class strength and attributes but is usually treated as a 3rd class Superhero.

Well, I stand corrected then. I've only seen the Reeve Superman movies once each....actually, i've never seen IV lol

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@frozen said:

@buttersdaman000 said:

@frozen said:

@thitiki said:

@buttersdaman000 said:

@frozen said:

@buttersdaman000 said:

No

Well, the argument can be made either way. We know Wonder Woman is weaker than Superman, so he is pulling more than her. Then you have MMH using four arms and one can take that as him either pulling more, or needing some extra arms to pull his weight among the three. We know his strength feats, besides that, don't stack up to Supermans but he is usually portrayed as being on Supermans level. So, it's really just how you take it. I find it easier to just say they each pulled a third.

And no, that wouldn't be consistent. But Captain Marvel is notorious for jobbing in every conceivable way most of the time. He has 1st class strength and attributes but is usually treated as a 3rd class Superhero.

Well, I stand corrected then. I've only seen the Reeve Superman movies once each....actually, i've never seen IV lol

Captain Marvel has hurt Superman before and proved that he's equal in physical strength. Moreso, he's showed impressive feats. The best version of Captain Marvel was the Kingdom Come version (though Superman and Captain Marvel in that are far more powerful than the New Earth versions). If Manhunter was using 4 arms then I'd imagine he'd be pulling more, why would he need extra arms to pull his weight among the three? I thought he was stronger than Wonder Woman?

Yes he is, but that's more due to the circumstances he finds himself in. Alex Ross wrote him best.

IV was the worst, but again, he showed ridiculous feats.

buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

Captain Marvel has hurt Superman before and proved that he's equal in physical strength. Moreso, he's showed impressive feats. The best version of Captain Marvel was the Kingdom Come version (though Superman and Captain Marvel in that are far more powerful than the New Earth versions). If Manhunter was using 4 arms then I'd imagine he'd be pulling more, why would he need extra arms to pull his weight among the three? I thought he was stronger than Wonder Woman?

Yes he is, but that's more due to the circumstances he finds himself in. Alex Ross wrote him best.

Yes, I know which is why I said he has 1st-class powers but is treated as a 3rd-Class hero. His impressive feats are actually few and far between. Even in his +30 appearances in JSA, he hardly does anything of true note (strength, speed, magic, durability feats), whereas his anti-hero/villain counterpart Black Adam does. Also, he's never exactly 'proved' he was as strong as Superman, it was just acknowledged that he is. MMH on other hand has neither proved equal strength or had the acknowledgment of such. People say he is stronger due to his shape-shifting/mass increasing abilities which only plays into my theory above. The fact is that 2 handed, regular MMH has not been portrayed as physically stronger than Superman ever...as far as I know. And if I had to rank the three, it would be Superman, Wonder Woman, then Martian Manhunter in that order.

Yeah, Kingdom Come Captain Marvel was the best incarnation of him so far.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 frozen  Moderator

@frozen said:

Yes, I know which is why I said he has 1st-class powers but is treated as a 3rd-Class hero. His impressive feats are actually few and far between. Even in his +30 appearances in JSA, he hardly does anything of true note (strength, speed, magic, durability feats), whereas his anti-hero/villain counterpart Black Adam does. Also, he's never exactly 'proved' he was as strong as Superman, it was just acknowledged that he is. MMH on other hand has neither proved equal strength or had the acknowledgment of such. People say he is stronger due to his shape-shifting/mass increasing abilities which only plays into my theory above. The fact is that 2 handed, regular MMH has not been portrayed as physically stronger than Superman ever...as far as I know. And if I had to rank the three, it would be Superman, Wonder Woman, then Martian Manhunter in that order.

Yeah, Kingdom Come Captain Marvel was the best incarnation of him so far.

He was treated like a 3rd-class hero, but he has had impressive feats, though it'd take me a while to dig. Regarding the Superman family, I think he'd beat Supergirl but not Superman himself. How is Wonder Woman stronger than Martian Manhunter? Martian Manhunter does have other abilities but his strength level has always

I was under the impression that John's physical strength was always near Superman's level, two-handed.

I (think) that Martian Manhunter's shape-shifting works on a molecular level, if so then he can shape new arms and carry the strength over? The scan I've seen seems that John is using his powers to the fullest of his abilities, so he's actually helping Superman and Wonder Woman to pull it.

I can understand your ranking, I think John hasn't had Superman's strength feats because he doesn't need them - in a one vs one fight, John would beat Superman due to external powers. I don't think the strength difference is a large one, at best John could be stronger than Wonder Woman.

Yes, Kingdom Come Superman was the best Superman too IMO.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The feats in the early Superman movies were inconsistent. Yes on the one hand he moved the moon in IV but equally he was pushed into a wall and knocked out simply by a bus being pushed into him by the Kryptonians in II. I wouldn't say movie Superman has ever been stronger than comic Superman. However, towards the end of MOS, I felt his durability showings were up there with the comic version. Being tanked through half a dozen office blocks by Zod and getting up immediately without a scratch was pretty impressive!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.