Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18941 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

**UPDATE** Superman # 37 + SM/WW # 37 Previews

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Not seeing what’s really so GOOD about this preview, but I like that Johns seemingly decided to pick up the pace.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By SOG7dc

Ugh, I just can't stand Romita. Put Romita on a Batman book and give us Reis since he's done with JL.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By UltimateSMfan

Preview looks good. I'm intrigued, looking forward to Superman on christmas eve :)

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I like Romita Jr :)

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By dernman

@sog7dc said:

Ugh, I just can't stand Romita.

i feel the same way.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RealityWarper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not seeing what’s really so GOOD about this preview, but I like that Johns seemingly decided to pick up the pace.

"Υou are not human". Right in the feels, man. And I have to sayt Superman's eyes were so expressive, good job JRJR.

@darknightspideyfanboy said:

@realitywarper said:

I like Romita Jr :)

same

He did a lot of good job in Spiderman comics.

I feel the same way. He has grown on me and his art is very expressive. Also while he has problems with anatomy, I can't help liking his battle scenes. His art can be very dynamic and kinetic.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Squalleon

Bumping this due to update.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

I enjoyed both for different reasons, slight edge to SM/WW.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Squalleon

@saint_wildcard said:

I enjoyed both for different reasons, slight edge to SM/WW.

Fun fact: I just gave my opinion on Sm/WW to you in another thread(not that you asked for it, but I just had to comment :P).

I give Superman the edge, that last page got me hard. The SM/WW didn't excite me, but the humor was pretty nice. I did chuckle in two lines.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not seeing the big thing in those previews.

By the way Superman cover sucks. Look at him... he seems to have landed on Apokolips. And the anatomy, man... I'm not even gonna begin.

Now SM/WM has gotten interesting with this new character Wonderstar. Wainting to see if he really has any connection to Kal and Diana, and why do they go directly from him to Magog.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sanohibiki said:

"Υou are not human". Right in the feels, man. And I have to sayt Superman's eyes were so expressive, good job JRJR.

I thought that was more funny than emotional. Mostly due to how Superman reacted. I've always been of the mentality that Clark considers himself human but that was just too much. It's like a white kid reacting the same way if his black parents told him he was adopted.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Squalleon

@squalleon said:

@sanohibiki said:

I thought that was more funny than emotional. Mostly due to how Superman reacted. I've always been of the mentality that Clark considers himself human but that was just too much. It's like a white kid reacting the same way if his black parents told him he was adopted.

I really don't find it funny at all. Tragic really, Supes wants so much to BE human that he lives that lie so well he even fools himself.

He was raised as a human, so he consider's himself human, that for me is very strong and the difference between what you said is that if you look Clark you won't notice he isn't human until he flies. Your example is bad really :P

Its like someone telling you that you are adopted when you actually look like your parents. You know it but not matter how many times someone says that to you it is painful.

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

When did Romita Jr start drawing Superman???

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Squalleon

@renchamp said:

@squalleon: And this is how previews that our site does not have the rights to should be done. Well played, good sir.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Squalleon

@drfate said:

When did Romita Jr start drawing Superman???

Since issue 32. If you like him I would suggest to check the title out. His art is much better than his latest marvel jobs. Very consistent too.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't find it funny at all. Tragic really, Supes wants so much to BE human that he lives that lie so well he even fools himself.

He was raised as a human, so he consider's himself human, that for me is very strong and the difference between what you said is that if you look Clark you won't notice he isn't human until he flies. Your example is bad really :P

Its like someone telling you that you are adopted when you actually look like your parents. You know it but not matter how many times someone says that to you it is painful.

It would be if not for the fact that he's known he's an alien for 15+ years, from Krypton for 5+ years and has a cousin who considers herself and him as Kryptonian which he interacts with her a lot. There's a difference between when Pa Kent reveals he's an alien and this moment. If he shed a tear maybe I'd feel bad, but having the look of "WHAT? I"M NOT HUMAN?! SAY IT ISN"T SO!" was just to much.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be if not for the fact that he's known he's an alien for 15+ years, from Krypton for 5+ years and has a cousin who considers herself and him as Kryptonian which he interacts with her a lot. There's a difference between when Pa Kent reveals he's an alien and this moment. If he shed a tear maybe I'd feel bad, but having the look of "WHAT? I"M NOT HUMAN?! SAY IT ISN"T SO!" was just to much.

I don't think it is as rediculous as you make it to be. Especially one of Superman's main themes being nature vs nurture. And it is not just that told him he is not human, but he pretty much told him his whole life is a lie and he knows and he must accept it.

He interacts with Supergirl RARELY in the new 52 at least. Just see his solo appearances and his with Supergirl. Also he literally is surrounded by humans and some of them are having super-powers. It doesn't matter if he knows it or not, it is very easy to lose yourself in a life especially if deep down you want to also Clark considers himself human due to his nurture, when Ulysses pretty much tells him thats not enough for you to consider yourself human, that you are just playing "make-believe", it hit him hard.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#22  Edited By Lvenger

@squalleon said:

I don't think it is as rediculous as you make it to be. Especially one of Superman's main themes being nature vs nurture. And it is not just that told him he is not human, but he pretty much told him his whole life is a lie and he knows and he must accept it.

He interacts with Supergirl RARELY in the new 52 at least. Just see his solo appearances and his with Supergirl. Also he literally is surrounded by humans and some of them are having super-powers. It doesn't matter if he knows it or not, it is very easy to lose yourself in a life especially if deep down you want to also Clark considers himself human due to his nurture, when Ulysses pretty much tells him thats not enough for you to consider yourself human, that you are just playing "make-believe", it hit him hard.

Yeah that's what I take from this moment too. Though Johns can write an excellent human side to Superman, he can also play the "biological alien card" well and show Superman's loneliness without making the character alienated from humanity.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard said:

@squalleon said:

@sanohibiki said:

Honestly, I think this moment is open for many interpretations – from tragic (which you seem to favor) to “No sh…t, Sherlock” and “Rao, not this cr…p again”. Also, it seems to me that New-52 Superman is more open and accepting to his alien origin than in Pre-Flashpoint-Verse (at least that’s my impression after reading New-52 Supes’ books, so such emotional reaction doesn’t make much sense to me. Might be wrong though).

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard said:

Honestly, I think this moment is open for many interpretations – from tragic (which you seem to favor) to “No sh…t, Sherlock” and “Rao, not this cr…p again”. Also, it seems to me that New-52 Superman is more open and accepting to his alien origin than in Pre-Flashpoint-Verse (at least that’s my impression after reading New-52 Supes’ books, so such emotional reaction doesn’t make much sense to me. Might be wrong though).

The fact that he accepts his connection to Krypton (which really isn't any stronger in the new 52 , Pre-52 Supes had longed of interaction with his alien side more, but the pre-52 had twenty years on its back) doesn't mean he has to abolish his human one. He considers himself both human and alien but here Ulysses isn't saying you are alien, he is saying "You aren't human" in both mind and body. That hurts. Of course that is my interpretation since like you said such big words are open to many.

Also I think it is why Superman reacted like that...because Johns is going for a more human Superman in his run. And thats not bad really, we haven't got character focused arcs for a good while with Supes.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SanoHibiki

@squalleon said:

The fact that he accepts his connection to Krypton (which really isn't any stronger in the new 52 , Pre-52 Supes had longed of interaction with his alien side more, but the pre-52 had twenty years on its back) doesn't mean he has to abolish his human one. He considers himself both human and alien but here Ulysses isn't saying you are alien, he is saying "You aren't human" in both mind and body. That hurts. Of course that is my interpretation since like you said such big words are open to many.

Also I think it is why Superman reacted like that...because Johns is going for a more human Superman in his run. And thats not bad really, we haven't got character focused arcs for a good while with Supes.

1. I didn't say anything about it ;) Why abolish any side of yourself? Accept both.

2. That part.

Of course Clark isn’t human in body, that’s true; he already knows that for many years, so I don’t think that part could have hurt him.

Now, “not human even in mind”. Doesn’t Clark been raised by Kents since been pretty much a toddler? Human way of thinking is only way he knows. We know that, he knows that, even Luthor in Unchained accepted that. Besides, how Ulysses could be even remotely acknowledged as a judge on this matter?

So, if Superman is capable of rational thinking like at all, he shouldn’t take those words really seriously (again, just imo).

Having said all that, looking forward to reading new issues of both Superman and SM/WW (and hopefully Romita Jr been replaced sooner than later :P).

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Squalleon

@sanohibiki said:

Now, “not human even in mind”. Doesn’t Clark been raised by Kents since been pretty much a toddler? Human way of thinking is only way he knows. We know that, he knows that, even Luthor in Unchained accepted that. Besides, how Ulysses could be even remotely acknowledged as a judge on this matter?

So, if Superman is capable of rational thinking like at all, he shouldn’t take those words really seriously (again, just imo).

Having said all that, looking forward to reading new issues of both Superman and SM/WW (and hopefully Romita Jr been replaced sooner than later :P).

Well with Ulysses someone who IS human in body and a new close friend saying to him you have pretty much made a life that is fake(meaning Clark Kent), you will not live life like them get over it. It hurts him. Its not like he cried or he will call his mommy.

But when one of your friends say those things to you it stings more than a stranger. He never thought Ulysses could be so cruel.

DrF8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: i like both ( Romita and Superman ) i just wasn't informed, cause i can't buy comic books monthly here were i live...

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drfate said:

@squalleon: i like both ( Romita and Superman ) i just wasn't informed, cause i can't buy comic books monthly here were i live...

Oh :(. I hope you can at least buy the trades, the stories are very entertaining.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman looks to be picking up quite nicely. It sucks that Ulysses turned out to be more villain than hero though since I was really looking forward to another super-ally. He can probably be reformed and atone, but I doubt Superman would ever truly trust Ulysses like his other allies now that he knows he's basically a mass murderer. Also, I don't really mind Romita Jr. at all. His art is unique and so....kinetic. Good stuff.

And i'm really liking Superman/Wonder Woman now too. The art is just fantastic, and I trust Tomasi to deliver. Oh, and Gog is coming back so....!!!!!!!

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

I guess that I just bringing my own perspective while interpretating this preview.

Ulysses spent most of his life in some parallel dimension; who is he exactly to judge how much humanity in Supes?..

a new close friend saying to him you have pretty much made a life that is fake(meaning Clark Kent), you will not live life like them get over it. It hurts him.

And about that. I can make a new pal in similar time period, but to call him a close friend, to consider his opinion about myself in such serious light. Nope, that’s just not how I do it. I’m listening only to my close family and my childhood friends; they know me the best and have some credibility in analyzing my traits and behavior. In case with Ulysses – I guess I just not seeing him (yet) as as a real friend of Superman; after recent stuff he pulled– most likely never will (unless Johns will deliver a one big redemption move :P).

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

I guess that I just bringing my own perspective while interpretating this preview.

Ulysses spent most of his life in some parallel dimension; who is he exactly to judge how much humanity in Supes?..

a new close friend saying to him you have pretty much made a life that is fake(meaning Clark Kent), you will not live life like them get over it. It hurts him.

And about that. I can make a new pal in similar time period, but to call him a close friend, to consider his opinion about myself in such serious light. Nope, that’s just not how I do it. I’m listening only to my close family and my childhood friends; they know me the best and have some credibility in analyzing my traits and behavior. In case with Ulysses – I guess I just not seeing him (yet) as as a real friend of Superman; after recent stuff he pulled– most likely never will (unless Johns will deliver a one big redemption move :P).

Well, the difference is the connection between Supes and Ulysses. One is an alien grown up the opposite and the other vice-versa. Superman went as far as to find his parents and his parents even considered Superman part of the family, you can see Superman was touched by that jesture. And that is much for a man that has no family. Kara isn't family, seriously there isn't a whole panel where they talk like one.

Of course he isn't like a brother to him or like Batman. But he is a man were Supes can see his self in. Thats why he went as far as to find his parents etc. and yeah I don't see the two of them to get close in the near future at least.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

Damn, notifications are malfunctioning again.

Guess I might be not fair to Superman here. In my life I had “nurture vs nature” problem, but solved it for myself years ago. Probably subconsciously expecting the same from other people, though in Superman’s case such dilemma taken pretty much in absolute.

Anyway, we’ll read the whole issue tomorrow already; eagerly waiting for it.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

Damn, notifications are malfunctioning again.

Guess I might be not fair to Superman here. In my life I had “nurture vs nature” problem, but solved it for myself years ago. Probably subconsciously expecting the same from other people, though in Superman’s case such dilemma taken pretty much in absolute.

Anyway, we’ll read the whole issue tomorrow already; eagerly waiting for it.

Always. I still don't get notifications most of the time. I have to guess who answered

Well, the reason Superman can't solve that problem is easy...Drama :P Also I don't get what you mean with the in bold sentence.

Me too. Love Johns' Superman. And I have to say I expect more from this run that his previous one. This run seems more focused and heavily character based. While his other run was rather unfocused and he had to drop it during the New Krypton event....Thats why New krypton went to hell mostly :P

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SanoHibiki

@squalleon:

I don't get what you mean with the in bold sentence.

Badly built sentence? Sorry for my English.

I just mean that was relatively easy for me to deal with been born in mixed nationality family/growing up with stepfather. In Clark’s case – being one of few survived members of his race, raised on Earth, been torn between two worlds, add public expectations and superhero’s life hazards. It hardly can get worse than he has.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Squalleon

@squalleon:

I don't get what you mean with the in bold sentence.

Badly built sentence? Sorry for my English.

I just mean that was relatively easy for me deal with been born mixed nationality family/growing up with stepfather. In Clark’s case – being one of few survived aliens, raised on Earth, been torn between two worlds, add public expectations and superhero’s life hazards. It hardly can get worse than he has.

I never said it was your fault :P My english isn't perfect either.

Oh! Now I get it. Very well put.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SM/WW for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.