Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18886 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Underused Superman Villains

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By darkdetective27

Who in Superman's rogues gallery do you think isnt used enough.? I would go with Parasite. He poses a great threat to Superman and Id like to see him in live action.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Toyman and Myxy

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Yeah those two are pretty cool and could use some awesome comic issues with them toying with the man of steel. Maybe they'll appear in supergirl that might be cool and give them a little mainstream attention.

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Impervious

Parasite, Atomic Skull, Toy Man etc.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

From his GOOD rogues?

Mxyzptlk and Manchester Black have potential. Also I think the Machinist from Johns' run could replace the Toyman and Prankster, as the human menace with the machines.

From his rogues that people care about even though they are mediocre:

Toyman, Prankster, Parasite. I am tempted to say Metallo because he is a one trick pony also.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: All of those could definetly use some more attention. Plus id like to see Silver Banshee return to being one of his rogues.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: All of those could definetly use some more attention. Plus id like to see Silver Banshee return to being one of his rogues.

She appeared multiple times in Supergirl now and she is an anti-villain of sorts.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Ok i was wondering where she went last.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Superguy1591

@squalleon: Toy-Man can work, he just needs an edge. When you're the "Toy-Man," you need an edge or you're not very engaging.

Make Toy-Man a terrorist and child adductor/molestor that forces Clark to use his investigative journalist abilities to find him.

He's more the enemy of Clark Kent than Superman.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Toy-Man can work, he just needs an edge. When you're the "Toy-Man," you need an edge or you're not very engaging.

Make Toy-Man a terrorist and child adductor/molestor that forces Clark to use his investigative journalist abilities to find him.

He's more the enemy of Clark Kent than Superman.

He was a child abductor you don't have to make him one.

Like Parasite, Metallo and others Toyman can't really be anything more than a one trick pony.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Yeah i agree he does need an edge or a new angle to make him an interesting threat. Though he already have the creepy look down he just needs a creepy or dark motivation and goal.

SCOLTON97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman's villains, besides Lex Luthor, seem to all be underserviced massively - ones such as Parasite, and Metallo have the potential, uniqueness and threat-level of being able to make great Superman villains, but they're rarely ever utilized. These two are my personal favorite Superman villains, along with Luthor.

And I really wish we'd get some great story arcs focusing on these two villains. Hopefully we will soon.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman's villains, besides Lex Luthor, seem to all be underserviced massively - ones such as Parasite, and Metallo have the potential, uniqueness and threat-level of being able to make great Superman villains, but they're rarely ever utilized. These two are my personal favorite Superman villains, along with Luthor.

And I really wish we'd get some great story arcs focusing on these two villains. Hopefully we will soon.

Together these two have appeared quite much in the last few years.

Metallo appeared in Action Comics twice, had his own villains issue and will appear in Truth probably. Parasite appeared in today's JLA and he had his own Villains issue. Plus he was the main villain in Earth One Vol.2.

How can you focus on Parasite? What possible focus the character can have?

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scolton97: I agree they are great villains that could use a little more attention.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every Parasite story Ever Told:

Parasite is out and he wants to eat. Possible twist, Parasite drains some weird type of energy along the way.

Every Metallo story ever Told:

Metallo is here to get revenge on Superman. Superman has trouble with his Kryptonite heart until something covers it.

Every Doomsday story ever Told:

Doomsday is unstoppable, everyone PANIC.Obligatory connection to the death of Superman. After a heavy brawl and a lot of negative reviews, Superman must kill the monster or trap it.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Squalleon

Btw, I forgot.

Brainiac is another villain that although NOT underused, barely has any good stories. Johns' Brainiac and Morrison's AC are the only good modern Brainiac stories.

SCOLTON97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scolton97 said:

Together these two have appeared quite much in the last few years.

Metallo appeared in Action Comics twice, had his own villains issue and will appear in Truth probably. Parasite appeared in today's JLA and he had his own Villains issue. Plus he was the main villain in Earth One Vol.2.

How can you focus on Parasite? What possible focus the character can have?

Wasn't aware of his appearance in today's JLA - I'm waiting til the first volume is collected.

I should have worded that better - you're right that Metallo has appeared a lot, but what I meant was that high quality stories haven't been told with the character, as with Parasite.

Every Parasite story Ever Told:

Parasite is out and he wants to eat. Possible twist, Parasite drains some weird type of energy along the way.

Every Metallo story ever Told:

Metallo is here to get revenge on Superman. Superman has trouble with his Kryptonite heart until something covers it.

Every Doomsday story ever Told:

Doomsday is unstoppable, everyone PANIC.Obligatory connection to the death of Superman. After a heavy brawl and a lot of negative reviews, Superman must kill the monster or trap it.

You made that point yourself here, and I agree - all we've gotten is the above, and I think that the characters should go beyond their power levels and be made into something more than 2D caricatures. They have the potential of their powers being unique and able to be a threat to Superman, but it seems that their only focus has been to be a threat, not a great character.

I want a story with Metallo that can live up to a higher standard, one maybe along the lines of Penguin: Pain and Prejudice.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Metallo, Parasite, Toyman, I don't recall seeing Mongul in anything.

Honestly? Anyone who isn't Zod or Lex.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scolton97: Yeah thats exactly what needs to be made for them

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You made that point yourself here, and I agree - all we've gotten is the above, and I think that the characters should go beyond their power levels and be made into something more than 2D caricatures. They have the potential of their powers being unique and able to be a threat to Superman, but it seems that their only focus has been to be a threat, not a great character.

I want a story with Metallo that can live up to a higher standard, one maybe along the lines of Penguin: Pain and Prejudice.

Ulysses has the same powerset as Parasite yet he is far more interesting.

Metallo can't end being any more than a one trick pony because he is a mid-tier brawler, with his sole weapon against Supes being his K heart. That's why he is always used as a pawn of higher forces (Luthor, Brainiac).

If you want to fix those characters, you have to change them to their core. Sometimes making a new character is way better(and easier) than spending time trying to fix old ones.

One of the best redeemingqualitiesof New 52 Superman, is the fresh breath of villains. Xa-Du, Ghost Soldier, Wraith, Ulysses, The Machinist. Good villains with potential and no need for "fixing".

SCOLTON97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scolton97 said:

Ulysses has the same powerset as Parasite yet he is far more interesting.

Metallo can't end being any more than a one trick pony because he is a mid-tier brawler, with his sole weapon against Supes being his K heart. That's why he is always used as a pawn of higher forces (Luthor, Brainiac).

If you want to fix those characters, you have to change them to their core. Sometimes making a new character is way better(and easier) than spending time trying to fix old ones.

One of the best redeemingqualitiesof New 52 Superman, is the fresh breath of villains. Xa-Du, Ghost Soldier, Wraith, Ulysses, The Machinist. Good villains with potential and no need for "fixing".

The focus on including newly created villains in the New 52 is something I've really admired, and I'm glad that's happened with Superman in particular. That being said, I still have a fondness for Metallo, and would like to see an arc revolving around him - and sure his Kryptonite heart isn't completely practical in being a threat against Supes, but in the right planned situation he could be effective (example being Justice League: Doom, the animated movie).

What I'd like to see is the character himself being improved upon, his motivations as a villain for example, his backstory etc. I loved his adaptation in Smallville for example (although inaccurate), and I wanted to see a more sympathetic take of the character in the comics, like the sympathy viewers had for him in the show.

And while nearly in all cases I can't stand when a character's core is changed, this is one time I'd like to see it happen. I don't know why really, as it goes against one of my biggest pet peeves, but for some reason I'd love Metallo to be updated into being a better villain.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Squalleon

The focus on including newly created villains in the New 52 is something I've really admired, and I'm glad that's happened with Superman in particular. That being said, I still have a fondness for Metallo, and would like to see an arc revolving around him - and sure his Kryptonite heart isn't completely practical in being a threat against Supes, but in the right planned situation he could be effective (example being Justice League: Doom, the animated movie).

And while nearly in all cases I can't stand when a character's core is changed, this is one time I'd like to see it happen. I don't know why really, as it goes against one of my biggest pet peeves, but for some reason I'd love Metallo to be updated into being a better villain.

But even in Doom he only served as a paid, one-dimensional, mercenary.

I feel at some point you can change a character so much before he stops being the character. So instead of remedies, I prefer to look forward to new characters.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By darkdetective27

@squalleon: Good point. What type of villains do you think Superman should fight?

SCOLTON97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scolton97 said:

But even in Doom he only served as a paid, one-dimensional, mercenary.

I feel at some point you can change a character so much before he stops being the character. So instead of remedies, I prefer to look forward to new characters.

What I meant about Doom is that he can be an effective threat, put into the right scenario or setting - I agree that in that film he was nothing more than a one-dimensional mercenary.

And you're right, to be honest. Changing a character at their core destroys who they really are. I have a strong fondness toward's Smallville's take on the character, which is more or less what I'm basing my opinion on Metallo from - which probably is a backwards way of looking at it, seeing as the comic book counterpart is the true character and not the adaptation.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: Good point. What type of villains do you think Superman should fight?

Which point?

I think the writers should stop creating brawlers. Unfortunately many enemies of Superman are just that. They can't pull of complex multi-issue storylines because their whole core is based on a gimmick and their power-levels aren't enough to challenge Supes multiple times.

But because I think it is unfair to throw away established characters. The Superman writers should create the "Superman Revenge Squad". Consisting of all those villains that alone are gimmicks but together can make a good team, Parasite, Metallo, Toyman, Prankster as their leader. Turn the jokes into worthy opponents without ruining who they are.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The point about how you can only change the characters so much and yeah he needs more villains that arent brawlers. They need to challenge him on other levels.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The point about how you can only change the characters so much and yeah he needs more villains that arent brawlers. They need to challenge him on other levels.

Make brawlers all you want but brawlers can't do much and don't have much potential.

As I said before, the New 52 actually went a step in the right direction with the introduction of Xa-Du, Vnd(the imp), The Tower Command, Ulysses etc.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By darkdetective27

@squalleon: I havent heard of those vilains before I havent read the New 52 because I had heard that most of the comics were attrocious or bland for most characters.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: You have to make him more Riddler than anything else. He has to be a terrorist who plants toy bombs all over Metropolis.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I havent heard of those vilains before I havent read the New 52 because I had heard that most of the comics were attrocious or bland for most characters.

Μorrison's Action Comics is great. Pak's first arc is very enjoyable. Johns' arc is enjoyable too with a strong ending. And Unchained is a story you either like or not.

I personally recommend Morrison's Superman since it is one of the best Superman stories no matter the continuity.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: You have to make him more Riddler than anything else. He has to be a terrorist who plants toy bombs all over Metropolis.

You can play with those elements so much before it gets boring. That being said, that plot has happened with Toyman before.

Problem is, he isn't a credible threat. So making him a leader of a team maybe will help.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27:

I'd much prefer to see Superman face off against, Livewire, Black Adam, Blackrock, Darkseid, Zod, Mongul, Silver Banshee, the HIVE Queen, Emil Hamilton.

Also I'd love to see him face the Worldkillers. All of them at once.

And one that I've really been waiting for, is, Helspont. These two really need to go on a win-all-lose-all rematch.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Really liked Atomic Skull from VS. the Elite so would like to see more of him as he can physically challange Superman and his atomic blasts can hurt him. Metallo if he got some upgrades, Parasite, Toyman would like to see more of Livewire and Kalibak.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.