Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18886 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Truth: Superman is a rip off (fact)

• 97 results
    Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

1) Old news

2) No one cares

3) The word "rip-off" is used so haphazardly in these threads that its lost meaning.

I wish I could give you ten dollars.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By KnightRise

@perezite said:

@knightrise said:

1) Old news

2) No one cares

3) The word "rip-off" is used so haphazardly in these threads that its lost meaning.

I wish I could give you ten dollars.

Same. I wish you could give me $10.

omegma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bogey said:

A secret formula that instantaneously grants powers does not correlate to an alien arriving on Earth as a child and developing his powers throughout the years.

@omegma said:

Well there is another similarity and that is that they both were raised in a farm and pretended to be weak and pathetic in front of other people.He was a pulp fiction hero and Superman gained other powers such as laser eyes in other series so the viewers might be interested in him more than gladiator because that person was not working in a comic publishing company like DC and Marvel that their writers are communist and all.Most stories goes success such as Superman because when one singer produces a good song and the other people like it so you know what his new songs are they are based on that song but said and done in a different way.You are just being hypothetical.Gather some info on him.

• did you read what i wrote GA superman wasn't raised in a farm.
    • GA Clark Kent wasn't like the Byrne Clark.Look it up GA Clark is anything than weak a willfull strong reporter ready to defend his ideals.
    • THE heat vision CAME LATER and i mean 20 years later....JUST READ WHAT I WROTE..here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powers_and_abilities_of_Superman .

Look, you really have no idea of superman's backstory as a character.You are embarassing yourself by trying to defend a false argument.If superman is based on someone that would be Doc Savage to a digree.

@extremis said:

Wow so just because someone before Supes had the same powers that makes him a rip off? Pff, then everything ever is a rip off with that rationale. It's called influence. Every creation gets an influence from somewhere. That shouldn't take away from Supes at all. Also who even knows or cares about this Gladiator guy? Virtually no one. Superman on the otherhand has resonated with people for decades. So even if Supes was a rip off, which he isn't as he's his own character (Im pretty sure Kryptonians didn't exist until him - thats sarcasm by the way), it doesn't really matter as he's still a far better character.

Also, Batman was inspired by the Shadow and Zorro. But that doesn't make him a rip off. Is he not more recognizable than both of those characters now for good reason? People called Green Arrow a Batman and Robin Hood rip off, but Ollie has been around for decades. He has his own show now! Come off it man, this rationale is stupid. Characters and their traits have been borrowed from and used for years, doesn't make them a rip off. Nobody has a monopoly on superpowers or character traits.

I did not want to go there but this had to be said.Why is Sentry considered a Superman rip off cause he is not an alien nor was raised in a farm.Then why do you call him a Superman rip off when he is an inspiration by your hypocritical logic.If Superman had powers before Gladiator,Sentry and Hyperion so you are denying the other statement you guys made that these characters are a rip off so according to your logic Sentry is 100% not a rip off cause he just has similar powers but anything else making him similar to Superman cause that ain't a rip off that is an inspiration.Then why do you idiots say that he is a rip off.Stop calling them a rip off and start calling them an inspiration.The reason you guys are debating against the fact is that you are in denial that he is not an original.It is hard to cope with your losses and I understand that that.You have my sympathies.PS if anyone is personally offended by me then you guys should know that it was not my intention.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@omegma: Sentry and Supes have more in common than powers.

• Same Genre (which is more important than you think)
    • Both have the Sun-God place on their respective Universe's.Sentry has the power of "a million exploding Suns".Even the cover of Sentry #1 has him pose like a Bright Sun god.
    • The concept was directly inspired by superman "Wizard ... magazine reported that following (Artie) Rosen’s death, his widow discovered a box labeled “Marvel Comics” containing comics, papers and files. She returned the box to Marvel, where it was promptly lost until writer Paul Jenkins accidentally picked it up. Jenkins discovered an old comic in the box, Startling Stories #1, featuring the debut of a Superman-like hero called The Sentry.
    • Their Personalities.Sentry is a superhuman Samaritan, a socially accepted superhero,optimistic like ........guess who.

I admit i don't know a lot about Sentry so i cant find any more simillarities.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

@omegma: First off, why have you clumped me together with others and then proceeded to call us idiots when I've been nothing but respectful and offered my own opinion? Secondly, what makes you think people will consider having a conversation with someone as insulting and angry as you? Maybe if you were nicer to those who reply to a thread YOU created, people would engage you intelligently. You now have one less person who cares to talk to you.

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Superman is better, so who cares.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can some one get a mod to lock this it kind of feels like a hate thread !

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#58  Edited By joshmightbe

Well Technically he was also kind of a rip off of Moses as well

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#59  Edited By kidchipotle

This thread put me to sleep. Honestly, who cares? Do you really hate Superman that much you would attempt to "ruin" him for other people? News flash: Nope.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#60  Edited By sinestro_GL
    No Caption Provided

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#61  Edited By sinestro_GL

But seriously, so what?

You should therefore complain how every superhero is a ripoff of Superman in one form or another.

But no...some people just don't like Kal El for no particular reason.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By ssejllenrad

Gladiator (Wylie) inspired Superman. Gladiator (Marvel) ripped-off Superman.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
    deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 3

Who cares?

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

....huh ?

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cracked.com makes anti-superman articles like this all the time. And all of them are incredibly stupid and immature.

omegma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omegma: Sentry and Supes have more in common than powers.

• Same Genre (which is more important than you think)
    • Both have the Sun-God place on their respective Universe's.Sentry has the power of "a million exploding Suns".Even the cover of Sentry #1 has him pose like a Bright Sun god.
    • The concept was directly inspired by superman "Wizard ... magazine reported that following (Artie) Rosen’s death, his widow discovered a box labeled “Marvel Comics” containing comics, papers and files. She returned the box to Marvel, where it was promptly lost until writer Paul Jenkins accidentally picked it up. Jenkins discovered an old comic in the box, Startling Stories #1, featuring the debut of a Superman-like hero called The Sentry.
    • Their Personalities.Sentry is a superhuman Samaritan, a socially accepted superhero,optimistic like ........guess who.

I admit i don't know a lot about Sentry so i cant find any more simillarities.

Same can be said that Gladiator (Wylie) and Superman have more in common than powers.

1- Same Genre which you will deny.

2- Both are Solar powered because the formula which gave gladiator his superpowers was chemical fused with radiated sun rays.That means he is solar powered.

3- His cover in which he blew up like a sun was called the exploding sun God.

4- His father was a genius and his nickname was the wizard which Wylie made a title in his short mini story telling Galdiator origins.

5- He had a double life and was a news reporter like guess who.

6- His first girlfriend was held in his arms and flew across the town like Superman and was also a news reporter like Lois Lane.

If you say that Supes is not a rip off then so Sentry is a not a rip off.I admit that similarities and appearances are a lot but so supes is in a way a rip off but it does not mean that you don't have to stop liking him.Sure like him but know the truth about how your character is made and what he is based on.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OMG! You solved the internet!

Hey wanna know something?

This article is a rip-off from a cracked article

Found HERE (See Item #5)

Do I win the internet back for Super-fans? Next time you copy and paste, post your source....especially when talking about ripping off! Because regardless of your intentions, people might mistaken you as the original author!

BTW Superman ripped off Gladiator but Gladiator then ripped off Superman...since that sounds symmetrical; Karma dictates Superman and Gladiator are even!

Feel the Power of puns!!!

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omegma said:

1- Same Genre which you will deny.

2- Both are Solar powered because the formula which gave gladiator his superpowers was chemical fused with radiated sun rays.That means he is solar powered.

3- His cover in which he blew up like a sun was called the exploding sun God.

4- His father was a genius and his nickname was the wizard which Wylie made a title in his short mini story telling Galdiator origins.

5- He had a double life and was a news reporter like guess who.

6- His first girlfriend was held in his arms and flew across the town like Superman and was also a news reporter like Lois Lane.

If you say that Supes is not a rip off then so Sentry is a not a rip off.I admit that similarities and appearances are a lot but so supes is in a way a rip off but it does not mean that you don't have to stop liking him.Sure like him but know the truth about how your character is made and what he is based on.

• Superman was the first of the superhero genre and you know it,actually the whole world knows it.Gladiator is a pulp fiction hero.
    • In superman's early years his powers were attributed to earth's light gravity (superman #1).
    • Superman couldn't fly at first.He could only jump high.
    • We didn't know who superman's father was.We only knew that Supes was a survivor of a doomed planet.Most of the details of Superman's origin came years after his creation.
    VinoVash1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not even close, too many differences between them

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Bezza

Some people will do anything to try and discredit Superman. Superman was the original world reknowned super-hero with powers, so deal with it. Hyperion and Sentry are rip offs....

VinoVash1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By VinoVash1234

Original superman was an alien (still is), lived in an orphanage and was powered by earths light gravity.........superman hater much?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#72  Edited By frozen  Moderator

Considering the Superman writers wrote reviews for that book in magazine's, he's most likely a Hugo Danner rip-off.

bee14ish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

Some people will do anything to try and discredit Superman. Superman was the original world reknowned super-hero with powers, so deal with it. Hyperion and Sentry are rip offs....

How?

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bee14ish:

You really need to ask that question?!

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No one really cares and superman isn't a "rip-off", if you looked at every other famous fictional book/movie you will notice that they're all "rip offs" because they're all inspired by something, which doesn't make them rip offs.

OP's argument is invalid.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No one really cares and superman isn't a "rip-off", if you looked at every other famous fictional book/movie you will notice that they're all "rip offs" because they're all inspired by something, which doesn't make them rip offs.

OP's argument is invalid.

He isn't really, most of the similarities with those other heroes came after. I mean the stronger points of the OP were the sun based powers (which Superman gained during the Silver age, years after his creation), the flight (another power that came years after) and the genius father (this is another element that was created years and years after Superman's creation). The only similarity I agree and is actually a fact, is that both were reporter's in their alter-ego.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Everything is inspired by or similar to something that has already been done, that's just how life works, there are only so many things that can be done. While there are many combinations of things that might still be possible there's always going to be aspects that are similar to something else.

We should try and not get so hung up on what is similar to what and try to enjoy things that work.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#78 frozen  Moderator

@frozen said:

Considering the Superman writers wrote reviews for that book in magazine's, he's most likely a Hugo Danner rip-off.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae said:

Everything is inspired by or similar to something that has already been done, that's just how life works, there are only so many things that can be done. While there are many combinations of things that might still be possible there's always going to be aspects that are similar to something else.

We should try and not get so hung up on what is similar to what and try to enjoy things that work.

This.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say inspired.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
    infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Simpsons did it! Simpsons did it!

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#82  Edited By Saint_Sophie

No not really. His creator's may have drawn inspiration from the likes of Samson and Hercules, but you gotta hand it to him as he did supposedly give birth to an entire genre or at least defined and set a rough blueprint that most people follow.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bruxae said:

flashback0180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To the front page (bump)

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to make this clear.

Most of the points of the OP are false for various reasons.

Lets start with the powers.

1. Superman's powers in the Golden Age were attributed to his biology. The sun based powers came later, decades later.
    2. The X-rays came also later from Superman's publication.

3. Also Superman in his first years on publication was raised in an orphanage so origin-wise there are no similarities. The kent farm origin came to life years later just so DC can give a valid excuse for the SUPERBOY title.

4. The flight was ripped-off from Captain Marvel
    5. And the genius Father.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Cracked. com? Lol

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By SuperAdam

Guys, whether or not Superman is a "rip-off" of gladiator doesn't matter anymore. Gladiator is public domain, now. You can't rip-off of something that is public domain. That's like saying Marvel's Thor is a rip-off of Viking mythology.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But the resemblance doesn't end there. Both Superman and Hugo Danner grew up in a small farming town.

Except the original version had Superman grow up in an orphanage... So this point is ussless

both had a special place where they went to be alone: Superman had his fortress of solitude in the Arctic, and Donner had his own place in northern Canada.

Again, this was added later.

Seriosly, do you know your source material?

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

1st of all, why the f@ck was this bumped?

2ndly, the OP doesn't seem to know the difference between "rip-off" & "inspired"

WELLDONE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: actually superman flew four month's before captain marvel in a radio serial. captain marvel didnt fly until whiz comics #5. four months after superman. also captain marvel didnt start out flying, he leaped first.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@welldone said:

@squalleon: actually superman flew four month's before captain marvel in a radio serial. captain marvel didnt fly until whiz comics #5. four months after superman. also captain marvel didnt start out flying, he leaped first.

Οh! Very interesting, but i find it weird that no one point it out before.

Do you have any content? The actual radio serial?

WELLDONE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: yes, the serial aired in feb 1940. in the comics superman hadnt flew until action comics 35 (April 1941). in the serial, a child asks who is the flying man in the second episode iirc.

whiz comics #2

No Caption Provided

whiz comics #3

No Caption Provided

whiz comics #4

No Caption Provided

cap flew first in the comics. but superman flew first.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@welldone: That's not proof enough unfortunately.

The "flying man" was the child's comment on Superman's jump. If that's all, then Captain Marvel flied first.

Also Superman first flew in AC 65. While there are some instances on AC 43.

WELLDONE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: no, superman was flying. theres clear emphasis on this. go reread 35, he is clearly flying

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omegma:

Every hero has been inspired on something. From gods, to half-deities, to all kinds of mystical creatures and forms of magic.

Even the Gladiator was most likely based on something that came before. How many stories does mythology holds about regular people that ate or drank something magical or divine and gained superhuman powers.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@welldone said:

@squalleon: no, superman was flying. theres clear emphasis on this. go reread 35, he is clearly flying

This is not a debate issue.

Superman's leaps did that even before issue 35. Yes it seems like flying but Superman supposedly jumps in those issues.

Yes you have to suspend your disbelief as to how these are "jumps" but that was Superman leaping.

Hell, Superman did the same thing in issue 10:

No Caption Provided

Yet, in the later issue it is emphasized that Superman leaps.

The mediocre execution and the illusion of flight don't take away from the canon that Superman first flew in issue 65.

anjo_negro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny thing is: one can't admit that same power set, close origen background is a ripoff (Gladiator/Superman) calls inspiration but different background and power set is a ripoff (Superman/Sentry)

ParagonxXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boy is the OP reaching with this...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.