Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

"Truth" storyline poll.

• 85 results
    Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Poll "Truth" storyline poll. (75 votes)

I will buy the series because of it 13%
    I will drop the series because of it 4%
    I didn't buy Superman series anyway 9%
    I did buy Superman series anyway 20%
    I will give it a shot 33%
    I will read them...not buy it 12%
    Other (please specify) 11%

I truly wonder what the Superman readership will look like in June.

• 
    Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Zandalf

@squalleon said:
    @kiba said:

I have always loved superman and I think there's a story here but it won't last forever, like his electrical powers, so I think everyone needs to calm down and enjoy the ride. Things will go back to normal sooner or later.

Everyone knows this is temporary. The problem is the loss of time.

There won't be any loss of time if the story is good.

@lvenger said:
    @superguy1591 said:

Classic Superman fan stereotype to hate something before the story is told because the story dares to be unique.

Classic new Superman fans to try and justify something which goes against the core of Superman's character just because it looks edgy, hip and cool despite lacking any substance and depth whatsoever.

Of course you can't know if it WILL lack any substance and depth,maybe in the future such a statement will have some weight behind it,but not now.

( oh,and @superguy1591, we are not all like that :P )

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zandalf said:
    @squalleon said:
    @kiba said:

I have always loved superman and I think there's a story here but it won't last forever, like his electrical powers, so I think everyone needs to calm down and enjoy the ride. Things will go back to normal sooner or later.

Meh, up to now we haven't seen anything mind-blowing or original. Some of the elements of the story have even been done again during the New 52.

But I disagree there won't be a loss of time. Truth has retcon all over it. By the end of the story, everyone will forget Clark's ID and his powers will return. The writers should focus on reconnecting the broken Superman universe than breaking it into even smaller pieces.

Plus returning Superman into an angsty version of his, riding a motorcycle and acting like a douche will not help with New 52 Supes reputation.

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zandalf said:
    @squalleon said:
    @kiba said:

Meh, up to now we haven't seen anything mind-blowing or original. Some of the elements of the story have even been done again during the New 52.

But I disagree there won't be a loss of time. Truth has retcon all over it. By the end of the story, everyone will forget Clark's ID and his powers will return. The writers should focus on reconnecting the broken Superman universe than breaking it into even smaller pieces.

Plus returning Superman into an angsty version of his, riding a motorcycle and acting like a douche will not help with New 52 Supes reputation.

Well until now we haven't seen much,just some previews,so it is too early to judge. Then even if some of the elements of this story have already been used,we can't deny that Superman has never been in such a situation before...so we can give these writers some credit here. Now i am with you when you and other people on this site say that DC should try to build organically the Superman universe,insted of shacking it up every year, but we can't tell that such a crossover won't have any future effect: sure at the end of it Superman will be super again,he will have his costume again and probably his secret identity again (maybe Lois or Perry or someone else will keep that secret) but we don't know or can't pretend to know which kind of repercussions it will have .

Now i am not a fan at all of a depowered Superman ,i don't even like this new outfit and the fact he will be riding on a motorcyrlce,but i am willing to think that these aspects of this story are a consequence of the story and not its goals.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@zandalf: I'll just requote something I said in another thread to demonstrate why my statements have a lot more meaning and justification than you'd care to believe. Basically, when everything early on about the story reeks of being a gimmick, detrimental to the character and removing almost everything that makes him recognisable, I believe it isn't too early to judge at all unfortunately.

@lvenger said:

Allow me to explain why I personally feel it's such a big deal.

• In the Superman, Action Comics and especially the Batman/Superman previews, Clark is acting even more aggressive and abrasive than the usual New 52 Superman characterisation standards. Not to mention he still tackles problems like a charging bull rather than a confident and authoritative hero.
    • His Clark Kent identity is now exposed to the world, severing what little connection to humanity and normalcy New 52 Superman had and ruining the dual identity mechanic which is a thematic staple of the Superman world.
    • Lois Lane was the one who stabbed Superman in the back by exposing his identity, furthering the gap between Lois Lane and Superman and making Lois' most prominent role in New 52 Superman comics as his best friend turned betrayer of Superman's identity and place in the world.
    • The rest of his supporting cast look like they'll be alienated from Truth for the most part and I've heard there're going to be new supporting cast members shoe horned in this event as well.
    • He's looking like a brutish street thug complete with T-Shirt, buzzcut hairstyle and horrible wrist wraps formed from his ripped cape. In short, Clark now looks like Super-Street-Punk rather than Superman.
    • Lastly, whilst powers don't make the man, Superman's depowerment is simply a repetitive trope or cliche at this point for the writers to try and make their jobs easier writing a 'humanized' Superman. Which fails to understand how Superman is more than a humanized hero whilst also being an alien powerhouse capable of fighting the toughest foes. Superman's gone from a sci fi action hero to a street vigilante, and I don't read Superman stories for a street vigilante fix.

Overall, the unnecessary changes represent a failure to maintain a stable status quo for Superman as DC seem incapable of giving the character solid direction since the New 52 started. Truth is just the final nail in the coffin for many Superman fans that DC has done enough damage to their favourite character. That's why this is such a big deal, because the story and character hinted at does not seem like a Superman story featuring Superman anymore.

Zandalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Zandalf

@lvenger said:

@zandalf: I'll just requote something I said in another thread to demonstrate why my statements have a lot more meaning and justification than you'd care to believe. Basically, when everything early on about the story reeks of being a gimmick, detrimental to the character and removing almost everything that makes him recognisable, I believe it isn't too early to judge at all unfortunately.

@lvenger said:

Allow me to explain why I personally feel it's such a big deal.

• In the Superman, Action Comics and especially the Batman/Superman previews, Clark is acting even more aggressive and abrasive than the usual New 52 Superman characterisation standards. Not to mention he still tackles problems like a charging bull rather than a confident and authoritative hero.
    • His Clark Kent identity is now exposed to the world, severing what little connection to humanity and normalcy New 52 Superman had and ruining the dual identity mechanic which is a thematic staple of the Superman world.
    • Lois Lane was the one who stabbed Superman in the back by exposing his identity, furthering the gap between Lois Lane and Superman and making Lois' most prominent role in New 52 Superman comics as his best friend turned betrayer of Superman's identity and place in the world.
    • The rest of his supporting cast look like they'll be alienated from Truth for the most part and I've heard there're going to be new supporting cast members shoe horned in this event as well.
    • He's looking like a brutish street thug complete with T-Shirt, buzzcut hairstyle and horrible wrist wraps formed from his ripped cape. In short, Clark now looks like Super-Street-Punk rather than Superman.
    • Lastly, whilst powers don't make the man, Superman's depowerment is simply a repetitive trope or cliche at this point for the writers to try and make their jobs easier writing a 'humanized' Superman. Which fails to understand how Superman is more than a humanized hero whilst also being an alien powerhouse capable of fighting the toughest foes. Superman's gone from a sci fi action hero to a street vigilante, and I don't read Superman stories for a street vigilante fix.

Overall, the unnecessary changes represent a failure to maintain a stable status quo for Superman as DC seem incapable of giving the character solid direction since the New 52 started. Truth is just the final nail in the coffin for many Superman fans that DC has done enough damage to their favourite character. That's why this is such a big deal, because the story and character hinted at does not seem like a Superman story featuring Superman anymore.

1- How can he be more abravise from those previews? Because he fights? Superman always used to punch his enemies into the face,both in this new-52 continuity or in the pre-52 one,so nothing new here.What has he done in AC to be considered violent? Nothing except from defending his life against some shadown ninjas who werent even alive.This is not violent or abrasive at all. What happens in superman? He is the one who gest attacked and not viceversa,and it is not like he can try to talk this out against a kryptonite powered guy when he is depowered and were there are others lives at stake. What happen in Batman/Superman? he stops some bad guys when Gordon attacks him,then he asks him who he is and where is Batman but Gordon attacks him again,so he really hadn't the luxury of talking himself out of that situation either. We can agree on the fact that Superman looks more abrasive now,thanks to his new look,but he seems to be violent just because he has to extert himself to his very limits each time he wants to solve a situation,since now he is just peak human (maybe something more) in power.

2- We don't know if having his identity exposed will severe him completely from the others,it also possible the opposite: who was really his friend can now be closer to him in order to help or at least show some support to him .

3- I was surprised when i heard that Superman could lose his secret identity but i wasn't surprised at all when i discovered that Lois Lane was the one to deliver this news to the world:she litterally told him she would have done that during psi-war and she clearly values the Truth (no joke intended here) above her friendship.What she has done makes sense, and i don't think she has done that with a light heart.

4-....that's true. His look was much better in the early issues of AC.

5- i too don 't like at all the fact he is depowered....almost i didn't like the fact he gained a new and useless power but since Superman is still acting as a hero despite his thug look,and since we know things will return as they were i am willing to stay with an open mind,since i like all the artists and the writers involved in this and above all i i really want to discover how Superman will survive at all this,and how he will get to be the one he was before.

Still i get what you say about this shaky status quo for Superman,my dream is that DC will try to do something like Kirkman does with Invincible: every thing that happens has a consequence , everything that happens matters and it will be used as a dowel to build the future stories.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Lvenger

@zandalf:

1. I'd have thought this point would be obvious but I'll clarify myself nonetheless. I don't have a problem with Superman fighting obviously, I do have a problem with Superman being much more prone to act like a bull headed brawler jumping in fists first and asking questions later. That's been his modus operandi within a good proportion of New 52 Superman stories/writers and it's becoming tiring to me. Superman is not supposed to be the character who punches first, but if necessary he'll throw the last punch of the fight. I don't agree that the Pre New 52 Superman was like this at all. He was always more willing to extend a diplomatic olive branch to supervillains, even whilst battling them and saving lives. He tried to reason with The Elite constantly to stop taking the law into their own hands and in Convergence Superman, he tried to reason with the Flashpoint heroes first even when they were trying to kill him to save their own city. He only lashed out once he realised they weren't listening and because Lois was in danger. Moving on, for an example of Action Comics abrasiveness, how about punching the Fortress in a temper tantrum because it didn't recognise his DNA and yelling like a madman once his indestructible cape blanket got ripped, constantly repeating to himself he was still Superman as if he needed to keep telling himself that. In Batman/Superman, he doesn't try and explain to Gordon what he's doing here in Gotham and why he's stopping criminals from committing more crimes with super powered weaponry, he just yells at Gordon for not being the Batman he knows, runs from the scene of the crime and idiotically drives back at Gordon on his motorcycle. He didn't try and talk in that example. Please, New 52 Superman has been consistently more aggressive and more violent even when he's fully powered. The writers don't seem to realise that Morrison at least had Superman grow past his Golden Age vigilante stage and have opted to write him exactly the same as he was 5 years ago when he started out. Exerting himself has nothing to do with it IMO, it's all about New 52 Superman's personality.
    2. It seems to be the case thus far. Superman's going to be leaving Metropolis in B/S and SM/WW during their Truth arcs. And in the Superman preview, Clark is clearly hiding in sleazy motels trying to stay out of the public eye if he can. He doesn't look like he's working at The Daily Planet, he's meeting Jimmy by secluded vendor stations and he's shrugging off Lois' attempt to apologise and help. Coupled with Pak's plan to introduce a new character called Lee Lambert and I see this having major problems in Clark being able to connect with his supporting cast. When we see them in Truth, it'll most likely be them reacting to Clark being Superman and dealing with what that entails. Clark most likely won't be very involved in the supporting cast's actions, he's got to be a lone wolf hero partnering up with his Justice League pals instead of human friends.
    3. But that's going against Lois' character and her friendship with Clark. Moreover, your premise that Lois would expose Clark because she values the truth is actually contradictory to the fact that Lois revealing Clark's double identity breaks her journalistic code of ethics and truth valuing far more. It goes against The Harm Limitation Principle, which is something ethical journalists are supposed to abide to, and Lois is one of the unrealistically ethical journalists to be certain. What she's done does not make sense and even if it did, all this has done is vindicate Lois to be a back stabbing betrayer to Clark and Superman for non-Superman fans. Not to mention it's incensed the Lois/Clois fanbase even moreso than they already are.
    4. Glad we agree here.
    5. I don't like the new power either but I can assure you that Superman is not acting like a hero in Truth anymore than he did during Grounded. I remember one user saying that Truth is basically edgy Grounded in premise and I find it hard to disagree with them. Since it's clear you don't like Grounded, how do you respond to the obvious similarities between these two disastrous Superman stories? You may like the writers and artists involved but the same cannot be said for me, as I've been left sorely disappointed by most of the creative team involved with Superman thus far. I see no reason and nothing appealing about Truth that makes me want to read it. If anything, Truth is doing stuff I actively detest in Superman stories.

I hope you just mean copying the consequences Kirkman has in Invincible, not the other parts of Invincible which wouldn't be suited to Superman comics?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

10% Will pirate the title.

I wonder if you people buy it afterwards if it is good?

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Since things are getting slightly heated I'm going to post a picture of Superman with a Kitty.

No Caption Provided

YAAAYYY Kitties!!!

Smash Brawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@squalleon said:

Btw @smash_brawler what do you think about "Truth"?

Seconded, I want to see what Smash thinks about Truth. Hopefully he's still a frequent poster on CV.

EDIT: He hasn't posted in 2 months Squall, unless he's using an alt, I don't know whether he'll see this message.

Hmm, what's that? My ears are burning!

Anyway, this seems fine, I guess. It's so obviously not going to last so complaining about that is honestly pretty pointless (I mean, come on, even the whole secret identity thing can be undone, everything can be undone in superhero comics!) but overall it seems Pak and Yang mean well and they may have something worthwhile to tell, so who knows? I'm not all that interested myself but that's mostly because I'm pretty jaded with DC and Marvel right now.

Oh, and Superman/Wonder Woman looks dumb as always but you didn't need me to tell you that.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Hmm, what's that? My ears are burning!

Anyway, this seems fine, I guess. It's so obviously not going to last so complaining about that is honestly pretty pointless (I mean, come on, even the whole secret identity thing can be undone, everything can be undone in superhero comics!) but overall it seems Pak and Yang mean well and they may have something worthwhile to tell, so who knows? I'm not all that interested myself but that's mostly because I'm pretty jaded with DC and Marvel right now.

Oh, and Superman/Wonder Woman looks dumb as always but you didn't need me to tell you that.

That's my main complain imo. That this arc is wasted time. But I guess you aren't as involved as me :P

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smash_brawler: I envy your detachment from current comics, no matter how hard I try to ignore stuff like this, it always manages to elicit a response from me. And agreed on how ridiculous Superman/Wonder Woman looks, that new costume for Wonder Woman is horrendous in its visual design. Fabok's look in Justice League is so much better.

johnfrank120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: But remember it all makes Superman more relatable like in MoS where he was relatable.

safefruitcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only New 52 supes I've read is Action Comics Volume 5 by Greg Pak, but this (and the whole Doomsday thing) have made me decide to stop collecting the series :/

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only New 52 supes I've read is Action Comics Volume 5 by Greg Pak, but this (and the whole Doomsday thing) have made me decide to stop collecting the series :/

Definitely read Action Comics by Grant Morrison. It is one of the greatest Superman stories ever told. No matter the continuity.

safefruitcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I'll look into it. Thanks for the recommendation.

Dr_Cheesesteak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#67  Edited By Dr_Cheesesteak

I stopped reading Clark-only titles after Doomed. Thought they were still good, but I just didn't like where his life/setting was and didn't feel like reading anymore. I still read Supergirl and SM/WW, though Supergirl has ended and I'll probably drop SM/WW post-Conv.

But as for the actual question re: Truth storyline, I voted "other". I'll probably read it in trade. Depends. I really wanted to read Yang's Superman, but will have to wait after the crossover, I suppose.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'll give it a shot.

Smash Brawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:I think it's cool that they're trying to do something different but it's hard not to feel cynical about this after you've read superhero comics for over 15 years. It also makes me wish they were actually writing "Superman" instead of "Superman without most of his powers and secret identity".

@lvenger: Oh, trust me, you learn to live without them after a while. I mean, it's hard to care about Batman "dying" for the second time in less than 10 years after reading DC and Marvel for so long.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:I think it's cool that they're trying to do something different but it's hard not to feel cynical about this after you've read superhero comics for over 15 years. It also makes me wish they were actually writing "Superman" instead of "Superman without most of his powers and secret identity".

@lvenger: Oh, trust me, you learn to live without them after a while. I mean, it's hard to care about Batman "dying" for the second time in less than 10 years after reading DC and Marvel for so long.

Ha! Man its like I am hearing myself :P

And I completely agree. Unfortunately this premise is quite cliche and the fact that we losing almost everything that makes Superman "Superman" is making it a hard pill to shallow. Although I won't deny AC 41 is enjoyable, the lack of powers and Id, took away much of Clark's individuality and it is shows, especially in his inner voice.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Lvenger

@smash_brawler: I hear you, even Snyder admitted at initial interviews that he's already planned a way to bring Bruce back and compared his writing to jumping the shark if it went wrong, at least he's being honest about his kinda gimmicky writing. I can tell you Action Comics #41 is a very generic, derivative and backwards issue for the Superman mythos, everything I feared it would be.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@smash_brawler: I hear you, even Snyder admitted at initial interviews that he's already planned a way to bring Bruce back and compared his writing to jumping the shark if it went wrong, at least he's being honest about his kinda gimmicky writing. I can tell you Action Comics #41 is a very generic, derivative and backwards issue for the Superman mythos, everything I feared it would be.

I agree with the adjectives you put into AC 41. But it could be a lot worse if you think about it :P

At least the 20 pages ended quickly and less painfully than we expected since everything about them had been revealed.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: But there were still so many questions and problems in of itself. Not to mention that it happened before Superman #41, and referencing an issue that won't come out till July is a silly move even by DC's current continuity standards. But I probably came down harder on it more than you since Truth to me is a premise and storyline which represents what I don't read Superman comics for. And the whole taking everything away from Superman's identity, world and powers.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Squalleon

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: But there were still so many questions and problems in of itself. Not to mention that it happened before Superman #41, and referencing an issue that won't come out till July is a silly move even by DC's current continuity standards. But I probably came down harder on it more than you since Truth to me is a premise and storyline which represents what I don't read Superman comics for. And the whole taking everything away from Superman's identity, world and powers.

Αnd I agree with everything. I just say that it could be a lot worse. I personally was glad that Clark didn't return into angst...and that's all I was glad for :P

But yes, Truth isn't something I am looking forward despite the stellar creative team. It is unfortunately boring for seasoned readers like us.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By MakkyD

@lvenger: Snyder has gimmicky writing? Rarely ever heard that complaint.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

I have heard it a lot before. Due to the "event" craze that was going through the Batman titles because of Snyder's arcs.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undefined:

I'll give it a shot.

The same way I always do.

I did it with Doomed, Unchained, et cetera, et cetera... So I'll read it with has much open mind has I can. And depending how it goes my opinion will become more defined.

Right now, only with Action Comics available, it's too early to judge results, although the story has started poorly. No real character development, if anything there's a kind of backward movement. But it's the beginning. I'll most likely see it through till the end. Regardless of how it goes. If it ends on a positive note than I'll share my thoughts. If it ends on a negative note, I'll share my thoughts anyway, I might be a little more aggressive about it though.

But yeah, my intentions are to see all the arc.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd said:

I have heard it a lot before. Due to the "event" craze that was going through the Batman titles because of Snyder's arcs.

That was more editorial, rather than Snyder I imagine. The other titles rarely had impact on Snyder's actual arcs.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: He was pretty angsty to me personally, though this can be debated at least in this issue. Batman/Superman and Superman/Wonder Woman have a much greater risk of writing an angsty and aggressive Superman IMO.

Exactly, this is clearly aiming at a new readership, hell even those who hate Superman for his morals and powers. I don't see how they're the right audience to be attracting.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Squalleon

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: He was pretty angsty to me personally, though this can be debated at least in this issue. Batman/Superman and Superman/Wonder Woman have a much greater risk of writing an angsty and aggressive Superman IMO.

Exactly, this is clearly aiming at a new readership, hell even those who hate Superman for his morals and powers. I don't see how they're the right audience to be attracting.

B/S preview is released. It continues being the worst Superman related title (yes even Sm/Ww is better).

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

B/S preview is released. It continues being the worst Superman related title (yes even Sm/Ww is better).

Eh I don't know about that, the Superman/Wonder Woman 8 page story didn't exactly paint Superman in a very good light what with the potential temporary break up and slamming Wonder Woman with the "I don't love you" burn. But yeah B/S may well be the worst Truth Superman comic.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Eh I don't know about that, the Superman/Wonder Woman 8 page story didn't exactly paint Superman in a very good light what with the potential temporary break up and slamming Wonder Woman with the "I don't love you" burn. But yeah B/S may well be the worst Truth Superman comic.

I meant as a whole. Soule's run at least was readable while the majority of B/S is boring.

Smash Brawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Eh, I thought it was OK. Nothing amazing but not particularly bad either. I'm getting the feeling this Lee Lambert character will be the next Lupe Leocadio (i.e., she'll disappear as soon as Pak leaves).

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Eh, I thought it was OK. Nothing amazing but not particularly bad either. I'm getting the feeling this Lee Lambert character will be the next Lupe Leocadio (i.e., she'll disappear as soon as Pak leaves).

I said the same about Lee to Lvenger too :P

Smash Brawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

@smash_brawler said:

Damn, we really are in tune about this, eh?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

@smash_brawler said:

Damn, we really are in tune about this, eh?

Ηe, no kidding :P

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.