Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Translating Zack Snyders latest comments on BvS

• 79 results
    Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@saintwildcard:

Humor is meant to be insulting to something.

Comedy is based on misery, yes. But to explicitly make fun of something just for the sake of it isn't comedy. Being insulting for the sake of being insulting is the exact reason why many fans claim Family Guy has hit rock bottom over the years. You have to have some sort of point to it if you are going to be insulting, like South Park does. Goyer didn't have a point to make, he just insulted the fictional characters and their fanbases for the sake of insulting them. It's tasteless, and pretty unprofessional.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

“But I think only in that way, because you need to understand where Batman is with everything. And that’s more toward the beginning, but it evens back out as it goes on.”

So yeah in the beginning of so we can understand why batman is going after superman.

Also this translation was horrible

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@saintwildcard: The atheist comedian point was rather irrelevant but I'll note that those comedians have a point, a set up and a punchline behind their jokes on religion. Same as any other good comedian on any other subject, whether tame or touchy. They're not just being insulting for the sake of it in their jokes. That was not the case with Goyer's tasteless remarks on Martian Manhunter and his fans. Moreover, considering the way in which Goyer phrased his comments, it undermines your main defensive point entirely. This isn't a case of people being weenies or lacking thick skin according to your lazily reductive argument, this was Goyer being unnecessarily insulting in this instance. He didn't come off as a nice guy when he made that joke and when he mentioned MMH was a poor character to adapt to film, that got under people's skins too. Ruling out a fan fave character does that to people.

He knows people in Hollywood and is friends with folks like Ben Affleck, that's why I have doubts about his credibility. Him being a funny nerd comedian is also subjective, I know people who can't stand him. So his ability to know what's a joke and what isn't isn't as strong as an actual comedian. Yeah this PC culture in the West is overreactive but this isn't an example of that at all.

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23 said:

@darkdetective27: I'm guessing Diana Prince will be a big part of the movie but Wonder Woman will have roughly two action sequences. Just a prediction.

@squalleon: it's not like what Snyder said was opinion, it was a fact. Batman and Superman have both been dominant in era's where comic book movies weren't #1 in Hollywood. Ant-Man has had one movie appearance during comic book movies golden age and it done decent.

Hey, Batman Vs Superman should make a lot of money for DC just off of the premise of Batman and Superman fighting in a live action movie for the first time. Most comic fans I know will go and see it. I thought Snyder's comments about Ant-Man were a cheap and unfair shot at Marvel. Batman and Superman are the two most iconic superheroes period. Ant-Man is probably a third-tier Marvel character that only recently got his own title. But this little guy has already made almost $400 million world wide and will probably get close to $450 million when it finishes its run. Not bad for a small character to make around 3 times what it cost to make.

DC hasn't faired well with movies that didn't have its big two in them. Green Lantern made $219 million worldwide at the box office, and had a production budget of about $200 million. If you factor in marketing costs, it may not have made any money at all.

Jonah Hex, a guy that is closer to Ant-Man in popularity, was another DC offering, making about $10 million worldwide with production costs around $47 million. Hmmm. Ant-Man did better.

The Watchmen made about $185 million worldwide with a production budget about the size of Ant-Man's ($130 million). Looks like the little guy took out Dr. Manhattan at the box office.

Superman Returns made $391 worldwide, less than Ant-Man, and did so with a $270 million dollar production budget. What, the little guy outperformed the 2006 Superman movie? Yep.

Other DC movies Ant-Man has made more money than:

Batman Returns, Batman and Robin, Superman III, Catwoman, Superman IV, Supergirl, just to name a few.

I point this out not to belittle DC, but to point out, that Ant-Man, for a relatively minor character, has done well compared to some really big DC superhero characters when it comes to movie profits. Will BVS make more money? Probably, but then again, it should. Zynder's cheap shot at Ant-Man was just a bully picking on the little guy.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@just_sayin: the crucial thing he said that's going over every fanboys head is "flavour of the week". Ant-Man has never been as big as Superman and Batman nor has he shown any longevity because he is new to movies.

He's hot now, but will he be relevant in the next 20-25 years we don't know. But with Batman and Superman they have been some of the biggest superheroes on the planet for decades.

Watchmen, Jonah Hex & Green Lantern have never been on the level of Batman and Superman so they aren't even worth mentioning. If Superman Returns was in 3D it probably would've grossed more than Ant-Man. Superman's latest film crossed 600 million and Batman crossed 1billion twice. Understand that Ant-Man literally is the flavour of the week.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By UltimateSMfan

@just_sayin said:
    @kfabz-23 said:

@darkdetective27: I'm guessing Diana Prince will be a big part of the movie but Wonder Woman will have roughly two action sequences. Just a prediction.

@squalleon: it's not like what Snyder said was opinion, it was a fact. Batman and Superman have both been dominant in era's where comic book movies weren't #1 in Hollywood. Ant-Man has had one movie appearance during comic book movies golden age and it done decent.

Hey, Batman Vs Superman should make a lot of money for DC just off of the premise of Batman and Superman fighting in a live action movie for the first time. Most comic fans I know will go and see it. I thought Snyder's comments about Ant-Man were a cheap and unfair shot at Marvel. Batman and Superman are the two most iconic superheroes period. Ant-Man is probably a third-tier Marvel character that only recently got his own title. But this little guy has already made almost $400 million world wide and will probably get close to $450 million when it finishes its run. Not bad for a small character to make around 3 times what it cost to make.

DC hasn't faired well with movies that didn't have its big two in them. Green Lantern made $219 million worldwide at the box office, and had a production budget of about $200 million. If you factor in marketing costs, it may not have made any money at all.

Jonah Hex, a guy that is closer to Ant-Man in popularity, was another DC offering, making about $10 million worldwide with production costs around $47 million. Hmmm. Ant-Man did better.

The Watchmen made about $185 million worldwide with a production budget about the size of Ant-Man's ($130 million). Looks like the little guy took out Dr. Manhattan at the box office.

Superman Returns made $391 worldwide, less than Ant-Man, and did so with a $270 million dollar production budget. What, the little guy outperformed the 2006 Superman movie? Yep.

Batman Returns, Batman and Robin, Superman III, Catwoman, Superman IV, Supergirl, just to name a few.

I point this out not to belittle DC, but to point out, that Ant-Man, for a relatively minor character, has done well compared to some really big DC superhero characters when it comes to movie profits. Will BVS make more money? Probably, but then again, it should. Zynder's cheap shot at Ant-Man was just a bully picking on the little guy.

Your points while interesting aren't really relevant. All those movies weren't good. Except watchmen but that's debatable(and it had absolutely nothing preceding it). Marvel in the last 7 year has built a brand name for themselves in the movie department. Ant-man isn't making that much money solely on the strength of his character. The movie being well received is a positive and the huge Marvel studios logo ahead of it helps it an insane amount. In all seriousness with the good will and brand image marvel has garnered and Ant-man not being a bad film should be making more money(Guardians made 700 million), but marketing concentrated on age of ultron a lot more.

And Zack's comments on ant man are so wildly taken out of context. Zack was asked a question about the longevity of superhero films and responded saying superman and batman are so big they are transcendent of the genre,not his movie (but maybe since he directed it,you could say that). And he didn't say ant man was a bad movie but rather would anyone expect a movie like and about antman to come out if it wasn't currently a boom and the golden age of superhero movies? No. It's a simple inference.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

@ultimatesmfan: The quality of Watchmen certainly is debatable.

I do agree that his comments were probably out of context.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nice translation. Zack Snyder sucks anyway.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: I thought watchmen was awesome, it's only problem was it was too faithful and was trying to send a message so people didn't like it as much but I thought it was awesome. In fact I'm writing a script inspired by the way watchmen was dealt with as a movie

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redatom1234: My problem with it is that it is indecisive if it wants to be extremely faithful or take lots of liberties with the film, so if you are someone like me who loves the source material and it does make the deviations and changes its hard to watch and if you are someone who wants changes it doesnt make enough of them so it just doesnt please anyone. I also feel Zack Snyder's visual style is annoying and doesnt go with the comic at all.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redatom1234: Also I think the cast ranged from spot on to horribly miscast.

Your script sounds interesting.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: that is understandable. What made it worse was that it was a 3 hour movie

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redatom1234: I know. There should have been some triming involved.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By darkdetective27

@redatom1234: The trailers for Watchmen were perfection though. Maybe Im still a little sore from how disapointed I was from how awesome they were and how that awesomeness didnt translate to the film.

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@just_sayin said:
    @kfabz-23 said:

Your points while interesting aren't really relevant. All those movies weren't good. Except watchmen but that's debatable(and it had absolutely nothing preceding it). Marvel in the last 7 year has built a brand name for themselves in the movie department. Ant-man isn't making that much money solely on the strength of his character. The movie being well received is a positive and the huge Marvel studios logo ahead of it helps it an insane amount. In all seriousness with the good will and brand image marvel has garnered and Ant-man not being a bad film should be making more money(Guardians made 700 million), but marketing concentrated on age of ultron a lot more.

And Zack's comments on ant man are so wildly taken out of context. Zack was asked a question about the longevity of superhero films and responded saying superman and batman are so big they are transcendent of the genre,not his movie (but maybe since he directed it,you could say that). And he didn't say ant man was a bad movie but rather would anyone expect a movie like and about antman to come out if it wasn't currently a boom and the golden age of superhero movies? No. It's a simple inference.

I think you missed the obvious from the movie list I gave - half of the DC movies that Ant-Man out performed were ones with Batman and Superman in them. They are not as transcendent as Zack thinks. One bad movie can hurt their brand and has done just that for both of them in the past. Remember Superman IV? It killed Superman movies for decades.

You are right Ant-Man probably would not have been made without the popularity of superhero movies right now. But Ant-Man was a good movie, which is something that can not be said for all the past Superman and Batman movies. I still think the cheap shot was out of place.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@just_sayin: The past Batman movies were great. The Dark Knight Trilogy was incredible. Though I agree on the Superman ones.

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kfabz-23 said:

@just_sayin: the crucial thing he said that's going over every fanboys head is "flavour of the week". Ant-Man has never been as big as Superman and Batman nor has he shown any longevity because he is new to movies.

He's hot now, but will he be relevant in the next 20-25 years we don't know. But with Batman and Superman they have been some of the biggest superheroes on the planet for decades.

Watchmen, Jonah Hex & Green Lantern have never been on the level of Batman and Superman so they aren't even worth mentioning. If Superman Returns was in 3D it probably would've grossed more than Ant-Man. Superman's latest film crossed 600 million and Batman crossed 1billion twice. Understand that Ant-Man literally is the flavour of the week.

What I pointed out in the movie list was that half of the DC movies that Ant-Man has outperformed were Superman and Batman movies. A bad movie can kill any superhero series, even Batman and Superman. Did you see Superman IV? Killed the Man of Steel for decades.

I agree that Ant-Man is not anywhere near as popular as Batman and Superman. That said, understand, that the big two are not immune from bad films. For the popularity of the character, Ant-Man has done very well. Superman and Batman have not always done well at the box office.

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: I agree, as much as I loved The movie, I needed to watch it bit by bit. I'll be honest and say I haven't read the book or watched the trailer so That's probably why I didn't create any expectations for it.

The script I'm writing is an odd one because it's meant to follow snyders kind of movies. I want it to be a legendary movie rather than just a pretty great movie.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redatom1234: I would highly recommend reading the book. Its my absolute favorite.

Sounds like it would be kind of interesting. Though Ill admit Im not really a fan of Snyder. I hope he doesnt mess up BvS and both Justice League films with his approach to film making.

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Redatom1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: I'll admit I was a little skeptical at first but after the trailer I feel a little more confortable with him

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redatom1234: Yeah the trailer is awesome and makes me extremely excited for it, but Im waiting to see how it is before I get excited for Justice League.

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@just_sayin: The past Batman movies were great. The Dark Knight Trilogy was incredible. Though I agree on the Superman ones.

I loved the last set of Batman trilogy movies. The Dark Knight is my favorite superhero movie of all time. But here's an inconvenient truth - Batman Begins, the first in the trilogy, made $374 million globally off a $150 million budget. Ant-Man has made has already made $394 million globally off a smaller budget in only 8 weeks release.

Not bad for a flavor of the month. The first Ant-Man movie did better than the first Batman movie in the new trilogy. Superhero movies will last as long as there are good movies. If Ant-Man is the "flavor of the month" he's been more tasty than some of the Batman and Superman films of the past.

As long as the movie is good Batman and Superman will continue to do well. But if the movie is bad, then history says that neither is more likely to do better than the "flavor of the month". In fact, sometimes the flavor of the month out sells vanilla.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@just_sayin: Though you argue why it did so poorly was that it just came off the heels of Batman and Robin and there was no hype for it. Plus cbm werent nearly as profitable back then.

Yes, Ant Man is hardly just the flavor of the month and he did really well. Though I think the cbm phase is over because AoU did make less and people are already get sick of them. Id say by 2020 they will make about half of what they do now and the studios will movie onto something else probably sci fi. Though I doubt they will go the way of the western more like the Universal Monsters where they fluctuated in popularity from decade to decade.

Also yeah if BvS is bad I doubt it will make a billion because the quality does matter and they cant coast on name recognition.

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkdetective27: You know I hope that BVS rocks and I hope that Marvel continues putting out quality movies. I really enjoy getting to see lesser known superheroes on the big screen. If there is a string of bad superhero movies it could be decades before we see anymore lesser heroes like Ant-Man.

I think the Ant-Man movie has done well for the notoriety of the character and think if it gets a sequel it would do even better.

darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@just_sayin: I hope it does too. Its my most anticipated film, but I seriously dont understand how Zack Snyder is running the DC Universe. I hope he doesnt mess it up like Watchmen or Man of Steel or give us a film as awful as Sucker Punch.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#78  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@just_sayin: I feel like the sole reason why Ant Man made that much (which compared to the other MCU released in the past year isn't that much) was because people are now just gonna be hyped for just about any MCU film. I mean, it could've made that much but with the sticker of it being the MCU, people are already gonna know it'll he good as the MCU's already well established.

None the less, it was a good movie. :)

-xoxo, Saint Sophie

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie:Ant-Man will most likely pass Captain America: The First Avenger's domestic total today. It has easily already out distanced the worldwide total of CA1 with $395 million to CA1's $370 million. What's interesting to notice is that CA1 had a much bigger opening week than Ant-Man did, but Ant-Man has performed better than it did in subsequent weeks. Leading me to believe that it was because it was a good movie and not just its MCU tie in.

Oh and Ant-Man is now just $5 million away from topping the domestic total for the first Thor movie. And with another 7 or 8 weeks to go in release, the little guy may beat the god. Not bad for a d list character.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#80  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@just_sayin: I would've said maybe C list. Not well known but now word's spreading around about him. And good for him for beating the other two. :).

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Great Scot! the OP is a genius.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.