Trading Views: All-Star Superman Volume 1

• 51 results
Posted by G-Man (36548 posts) - - Show Bio
Play
Please use a flash or html5 video capable browser to watch videos.
00:00:00
Sorry, but you can't access this content!
Please enter your date of birth to view this video

By clicking 'enter', you agree to Comic Vine's
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

#1 Edited by mighty dude (405 posts) - - Show Bio

I am so glad you guys reviewed this! I have been thinking about picking it up and this was just the motivation I needed. 

I love these trading views. Keep up the good work! 

Oh and I loved Franks Lois. I always think lois should be prettier in other comics. So I think he did a good job with her.
#2 Posted by nilmandir (56 posts) - - Show Bio

I just might have to pick it up. I like Grant Morrison and just might start reading Superman because of him.

#3 Posted by Nick-SV(ril) (571 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't mind picking this up , but I'm holding myself to get the Absolute edition, which is gonna keep me broke for weeks.

#4 Posted by G-Man (36548 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nick-SV(ril): ...pst, you can find it cheaper at places like amazon...
#5 Posted by Agent_November (53 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this book!

#6 Edited by Nick-SV(ril) (571 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man:  Oh, that's 30 bucks less there. Thanks for the tip. Thing is, I don't check on Amazon that much cause half the times I've checked, sellers wouldn't ship to Greece.. I hope not in this case.
#7 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio

All Star Superman is good, but overrated. I read it in the library, but was disappointed. I feel it was overhyped.
#8 Posted by Xangel (72 posts) - - Show Bio

any actual extras not found in the original hard covers? even at $70 it's a hard pill to swallow when you can find vol. 1&2 combined for around 20!

#9 Posted by Daniellev21 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Great review! All Star Superman was one the most amazing comics I ever read. Grant Morrison is awesome. 

#10 Posted by Koriandr (7 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was really well written, and showed the relationship between Lois and Clark perfectly. There were some really nice romantic moments, like when he flies her to the moon (everybody "aww" now!) but there was some pretty good fighting scenes as well. 
I actually cried at some parts in the book, but maybe that's because I'm a sappy girl ;P
I'd definitely recommend this to anyone, whether it be a new Superman reader or longtime fan.

#11 Posted by doordoor123 (3721 posts) - - Show Bio

wait.. i read volume one and i thought that each isue had a different story? but with the same overall theme of superman dying? And some stories with clarks early years.  
Maybe i should read the second volume to understand it?
#12 Posted by tonis (6202 posts) - - Show Bio

Lois can never be too pretty, that's for sure. 
Great review guys, I'm dieing to read this one since hearing about the movie in the works. I'm sold, although I kinda want the absolute issue. When is that slated for release?

#13 Posted by leokearon (1835 posts) - - Show Bio

I love All Star Superman, even if it took me a while to find vol 2, allso it's incredibly cheap. Great review as always
#14 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

All Star Superman is definitely one of my favorite comics of all time. its just incredible

#16 Posted by Meizzner (26 posts) - - Show Bio

this book is awesome
#17 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2269 posts) - - Show Bio

How does the big Absolute edition compare to collecting the two trades?  I have the trade of Kingdom Come, but I bought the Absolute edition because it had 100 extra pages of sketches and what not.
So if Absolute Allstar Superman is worth getting...

#18 Posted by CaptainGenisVell (305 posts) - - Show Bio

Not a huge fan of the artwork with Allstar

#19 Posted by sa5m (2112 posts) - - Show Bio
@Agent_November said:
" I love this book! "
me as well. : )
#20 Posted by grayrick949 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

Am i the only one that dose not love this book?

#21 Posted by Farley Deering (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally right Babs, absolute masterpiece.

Surely the question shouldn't be buy, borrow or bin but why didnt you buy the issues when they came out orginally? :)

#22 Posted by J1ml33 (540 posts) - - Show Bio

aww I cant wait to buy the trade see look at my happy face see....

by Morrison and quietly !
#23 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2267 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated Superman until I read this comic. An absolute masterpiece.

#24 Posted by J1ml33 (540 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man: aww I wonder what Grant Morrison thanks mm-mm..? and what do you think about my happy face  here ..
see !
#25 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gray949 said:
" Am i the only one that dose not love this book? "
most likely, it's one of the most acclaimed comics out there 

haven't gotten around to reading it myself, been reading a lot of those acclaimed DC comics lately, I think I'll get around to it soon
#26 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gray949:
I don't hate the book, I do like it, but as I said before, I do feel it is overrated. After I finished reading I shrugged. It's good, but it doesn't have the epic feeling a superhero comic should.
#27 Posted by Jolt92 (174 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been a spectator of this book for a long time. I might wish for it as a christmas gift!

Anyway, love this feature. You should make them more frequently!

#28 Posted by Cybexx (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Read through this as they released the issues on the DC Comics iPad app. A collection of really really great Superman stories that come together quite well. Love the 6th issue because its goes off in a weird goofy sci-fi angle but ends up ultimately resulting in a surprising story with a lot of heart.

#29 Posted by carnivalofsins00 (938 posts) - - Show Bio

i just placed an order on amazon for both volumes. ive been hearing some very good things about this and this actually convinced me 100%. thanks Tony and Sarita.

#30 Posted by The Hobgoblin (414 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this book started out well, but by the middle of the story (Issue 7 or thereabouts) It kinda fizzled out for me. Still, it wasn't a bad read by any means.

#31 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (747 posts) - - Show Bio

This book converted me to Superman (and if you check out my profile you'll see just how completely it did convert me). I felt nothing for Superman growing up except cynicism. The Post-Crisis Superman had always bored me and I was more inclined to take Frank Miller's view of the character as an establishment stooge. Grant changed the way I felt completely with All-Star Superman. It's a beautiful story and, in my opinion, the best Superman story-arc of the Modern Age. It got me reading and appreciating the Silver Age as well. Get this trade if you haven't read it already. 

#32 Edited by THALASTDRAGON (387 posts) - - Show Bio

how do u trick somebody into reading comics by telling them or recommending that they read a trade?
#33 Edited by ArtisticNeedham (2269 posts) - - Show Bio

I bought volume 2 first I think, had to wait and get volume 1 when I could afford it.  But after reading 1 I rushed onto 2, and then was sad when they were both over because I knew there were NO MORE and would never be any more issues.
I fell in love with the comic, like you guys said.  It was sooo good.
Does anyone know about the Absolute Edition?  How many extra pages are in it?  What the extra pages are?  How much it is?  Anything?

#34 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@ArtisticNeedham said:
" I bought volume 2 first I think, had to wait and get volume 1 when I could afford it.  But after reading 1 I rushed onto 2, and then was sad when they were both over because I knew there were NO MORE and would never be any more issues. I fell in love with the comic, like you guys said.  It was sooo good. Does anyone know about the Absolute Edition?  How many extra pages are in it?  What the extra pages are?  How much it is?  Anything? "
October 27, 2010 

$100 

320 pgs...considering the trades are each listed as 160 that sounds like zero extras even though the solicit mentions a bonus sketchbook and more
#35 Posted by Dr. Detfink (460 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea, All-Star Superman rocks.

#36 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

One of my all time favorite Superman books :)
I specially love how fun, dynamic and colored it is (which the preview of the animated movie didn't seem to be :/)

#37 Posted by G-Man (36548 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: Cheaper on amazon. 

@THALASTDRAGON: It's more like tricking them into liking comics. You might have to physically place the trade in their hands to get them to read it. But once they do, they'll probably change their mind about comics (if they're not already digging them).
#38 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man: hmm, you're right, quite a bit cheaper ($74)...what I find odd is it has the "list price" as 120 when the DC website says 100
#39 Posted by THALASTDRAGON (387 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man:
lol, i know. when u said it in tha video, me being me, i had to say something. cuz i was thinkin, if u give someone a trade to read, theres no trick involved lol
#40 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to read this again, for the fifth or sixth time.

#41 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio
@doordoor123 said:
" wait.. i read volume one and i thought that each isue had a different story? but with the same overall theme of superman dying? And some stories with clarks early years.  Maybe i should read the second volume to understand it? "
Yeah, you really need to read volume 2. Each issue is somewhat self-contained, but the whole series has an overarching plot that you have to read all of.
#42 Posted by cbishop (8631 posts) - - Show Bio

This was only 12 issues.  Why don't they put them all in one volume of TPB, instead of a freakin' expensive Absolute Edition?

#43 Edited by The Impersonator (5553 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait for the All-Star Superman movie. The last movie (Superman/Batman: Apocalypse) wasn't that great. It was ok. I hope All-Star Superman movie turns out better than the previous DC animated feature. 
#44 Posted by Noray (32 posts) - - Show Bio

If you haven't read this (or Loeb and Sale's Superman For All Seasons, for that matter) you are a BAD comic book fan! I don't care if you dislike Superman, I don't care about his series one bit, but those are fantastic books. Also, Superman: Red Son.

#45 Posted by TheBug (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

Greatest Superamn story I have ever read. What made it brilliant was scifi tone. It read like a contemporary silver age story.
#46 Posted by G-Man (36548 posts) - - Show Bio

I basically made video producer Joey read this. He says he's not really into Superman. We'll see what he thought of this.

#47 Posted by carnivalofsins00 (938 posts) - - Show Bio
@G-Man: please let me know what he thinks. i just bought vol. 1 and 2 and ill start reading it tomorrow hopefully. =]
#48 Posted by jamdown (294 posts) - - Show Bio

you guys should do Superman: Red son next

#49 Posted by BoOMbOoMpOw (1711 posts) - - Show Bio
@mighty dude said:
" I am so glad you guys reviewed this! I have been thinking about picking it up and this was just the motivation I needed. I love these trading views. Keep up the good work!
same thing here :)
#50 Posted by NeoMantis (40 posts) - - Show Bio

I usually love Grant Morrison's work but All-Star Superman never really resonated with me for some reason. I think it's the silver age goofines mixed with modern grittiness that doesn't really work for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.