Tony Daniel & Andy Diggle on Action Comics?

• 91 results
#1 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Edited by Twentyfive (2405 posts) - - Show Bio

I am glad. I just want Action Comics to keep being good. Superman is my favorite Superhero, and I am surprised he only has 2 comics, and only 4 in his line. Anybody that can do well on a Superman book is well by me. I keep hearing that the Superman series is not good, and that saddens me.

#3 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (746 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm more than willing to give it a read. I like Tony Daniel and I think Andy Diggle is very talented. I'm still very worried...

#4 Posted by SmashBrawler (4744 posts) - - Show Bio

Huh. A few days ago I was considering the possibilty of Tony Daniel drawing Superman...

Weird.

#5 Posted by Lvenger (16049 posts) - - Show Bio

As long as Action Comics stays good then I'm fine. I love Tony Daniel's art but hate his writing so I hope he stays the hell away from writing any stories. And I'm still sceptical about Diggle's lack of enthusiasm for the superhero genre. He more than makes up for it in the talent department though, far more so than Lobdell. I'd be more willing to give Diggle a chance than Lobdell.

#6 Posted by Lvenger (16049 posts) - - Show Bio

And although I can't predict how Diggle will write Superman, there are a few preview examples of how Daniels might draw Superman:

#7 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (746 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger:

Superman's a beast, lol...

#8 Posted by SmashBrawler (4744 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

And although I can't predict how Diggle will write Superman, there are a few preview examples of how Daniels might draw Superman:

Hmmm, I don't think these two count, though. They were made when Tony Daniel temporarily forgot how to draw.

#9 Posted by Lvenger (16049 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jekylhyde14: Johns yet again recycling the team members fight one another plot. I'm done with Justice League after that issue and switching to Wonder Woman. Far superior quality writing.

@SmashBrawler: Yeah but they were the only examples I could find. But I preferred his earlier Batman stuff too. Hopefully he can replicate that brilliant art in Action Comics.

#10 Posted by SmashBrawler (4744 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: I only hope he doesn't get the same colorist he has in 'Tec. Seriously, those colors are horrible. Even worse with Teen Titans.

#11 Posted by Lvenger (16049 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler: Tec? What series is that? And I quite like the colours in Teen Titans. Certainly better than the story. But IMO the best colourist for Daniels would be the one from his early days working on Batman.

#12 Posted by SmashBrawler (4744 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: Detective Comics. That's the way the series used to be called back then. I guess the nickname's kinda dead nowadays, especially after DC closed the DC message boards.

#13 Posted by Lvenger (16049 posts) - - Show Bio

@SmashBrawler: Ah my bad. Yeah Detective Comics wasn't the best coloured book. I guess we'll have to wait till Justice League 13 to see if without writing anything (cough poorly cough) Tony Daniel can produce the artwork he used to be able to.

#14 Edited by Jekylhyde14 (746 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@Jekylhyde14: Johns yet again recycling the team members fight one another plot. I'm done with Justice League after that issue and switching to Wonder Woman. Far superior quality writing.

You're not wrong and Wonder Woman IS the better book. In Johns defense, though, Marvel's been riding that plot formula for nigh on fifty years now...

#15 Posted by SandMan_ (4526 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh...

#16 Posted by Eternal19 (2074 posts) - - Show Bio

cool...I just hope it keeps the same quality.

#17 Posted by Deranged Midget (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

Only time will tell if Diggle will be able to provide worthy stories for Action Comics. Until then, I remain neutral to say the least.

#18 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

I sent him a Tweet a few weeks about saying looking forward to it.

I'll say am looking forward to Man of Steel written by Scott Snyder and art by Jim Lee more.

#19 Posted by Billy Batson (56931 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive said:

I am glad. I just want Action Comics to keep being good. Superman is my favorite Superhero, and I am surprised he only has 2 comics, and only 4 in his line. Anybody that can do well on a Superman book is well by me. I keep hearing that the Superman series is not good, and that saddens me.

Superman has actually three books going on right now.
BB

#20 Posted by Twentyfive (2405 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: What is the third? Unless you mean JL or Superman Family Adventures...

They're both cool.

#21 Posted by Deranged Midget (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

@Supreme Marvel said:

I'll say am looking forward to Man of Steel written by Scott Snyder and art by Jim Lee more.

Has this been confirmed?

#22 Posted by Billy Batson (56931 posts) - - Show Bio

@Twentyfive:

Yeah, was referring to Superman Family Adventures :p
BB

#23 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@Supreme Marvel said:

Has this been confirmed?

Very possible

#24 Posted by Deranged Midget (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: Pfft, that doesn't count...

@Supreme Marvel: As almost anyone could agree, that would be fantastic. I just remain a little skeptical considering that the Superman mini-series during Flashpoint wasn't all that great.

#25 Posted by Billy Batson (56931 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget:

Why wouldn't it? It's not part of the New 52 but it's the best Superman title out right now.
BB

#26 Posted by Deranged Midget (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: Better than Action Comics? Not a chance sir, not a chance!

#27 Posted by Billy Batson (56931 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget:

Baltazar and Franco are always a win so yes :p
BB

#28 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: I don't think he had the creative freedom he would like to have. Because it was meant to be different. I believe, if he does write it then it'll be very good. He'll have a lot of time to put a good story together.

#29 Posted by Deranged Midget (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson: :O

@Supreme Marvel: And I understand that, especially with it being an alternate reality and what not. You can't go wrong with Lee's art though.

#30 Posted by WildStyle (331 posts) - - Show Bio

Andy Diggle? You guys better hope Action Comics doesn't turn into a train wreck like Shadowland was. One of the worst events ever. Complete buttcheeks,

#31 Posted by TDK_1997 (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

Andy Diggle I think is a good choice but I'm not sure waht he is about to do with Superman.Tony Daniel is a great artist and I love him but he has to keep away form the writing spot.

#32 Posted by Lvenger (16049 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jekylhyde14: Even though there's no Superman/Wonder Woman relationship :P Even though Wonder Woman is a far better title (from what I've heard and read online) it's not performing well in the sales charts compared to the rubbish Justice League which is annoying. Here are some graphs I found that show the sales statistics of these two titles. Quite disparaging.

#33 Posted by Lvenger (16049 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

@Supreme Marvel said:

Has this been confirmed?

There's supposed to be a major game changing announcement at the New 52 Superman panel at NYCC on Thursday. Maybe they'll confirm it then along with the new creative team on Action Comics.

#34 Posted by Deranged Midget (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: Well, my fingers are crossed in hope of it being a good announcement as Diggle writing for Action Comics doesn't exactly have me jumping for joy at the moment.

#35 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

What's Diggle's resume?

#36 Posted by Lvenger (16049 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: Me neither. Someone on another thread said Diggle's superhero stuff is hit or miss and he's more comfortable with creator owned titles. Worrying to hear :/

@Gambit1024: The Losers (which he co created with Scott Snyder I believe), Swamp Thing, Hellblazer, Daredevil and the Thunderbolts are amongst Diggle's better works.

#37 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: His best one IMO was Green Arrow Year 1

#38 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: Daredevil... Wait, is he the guy responsible for Shadowland?

#39 Posted by Deranged Midget (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

@Lvenger: Daredevil... Wait, is he the guy responsible for Shadowland?

Yes...

#40 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@Jekylhyde14: Even though there's no Superman/Wonder Woman relationship :P Even though Wonder Woman is a far better title (from what I've heard and read online) it's not performing well in the sales charts compared to the rubbish Justice League which is annoying. Here are some graphs I found that show the sales statistics of these two titles. Quite disparaging.

THis is an unfair comparison.

Justice League is written by an A-list team that starts off the whole universe.

Wonder Woman, is a critical hit and with critically acclaimed writers, but no where near A list yet.

Also, WW is performing much better than it was prior to the reboot.

#41 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: ...This isn't good news.

#42 Posted by Deranged Midget (17598 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: I know, hence why I'm not exactly overjoyed at the moment :P

#43 Posted by Lvenger (16049 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: An A list team that started off the first arc as a movie script and had one issue act as an advertisement to all the other titles. A list doesn't mean good anymore and Johns hasn't delivered on Justice League.

#44 Posted by Jekylhyde14 (746 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger:

Eh, I don't want to start an argument or anything. I definitely don't like Johns' run on the League as much as the Grant Morrison, Mark Waid, Giffen/DeMatteis, or Gardner Fox Justice Leagues. I, again, agree that Wonder Woman is a better book. However, I'm not hating Johns' run and there have been many worse attempts at writing this team. Yes, it's embarrassingly decompressed and, yes, it often comes off like a movie pitch. But, considering where DC is in terms of their competition with Marvel, that might be exactly what they need from the title at this moment. I'm hoping it picks up the closer we get to Trinity War.

#45 Posted by Lvenger (16049 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jekylhyde14: Agreed. JL really does seem like a movie script rather than a comic book.

#46 Posted by SandMan_ (4526 posts) - - Show Bio

This isn't confirm yet guys....

#47 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

@sethysquare: An A list team that started off the first arc as a movie script and had one issue act as an advertisement to all the other titles. A list doesn't mean good anymore and Johns hasn't delivered on Justice League.

A list never meant good. A list pretty much only meant high profile. Other than Grant Morrison, Geoff Johns is probably the most high profile writer, leading events after events and had tons of critically acclaimed work. Also there isn't an artist like Jim Lee really.

Both of them are probably one of the most or the most popular creators in the industry.

#48 Posted by Lvenger (16049 posts) - - Show Bio

@SandMan_ said:

This isn't confirm yet guys....

But it might be tomorrow at the New 52 Superman panel at NYCC.

#49 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Billy Batson said:

@Deranged Midget:

Baltazar and Franco are always a win so yes :p
BB

I do like SUperman family adventures. But Im annoyed that they're making Otis Parasite.

#50 Posted by Lvenger (16049 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: @Deranged Midget:@Jekylhyde14: It's Diggle and Daniel everyone. Officially confirmed.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.