Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Thoughts on Supergirl?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

So Supergirl hit the airwaves with huge numbers. Bigger than any other CBTV show premier and the biggest of the fall season. Obviously there will be be a decline due to what is an above average reception and it being the first episode, but I believe that the show will no doubt at least get a second season and the key demo (girls under 15 and their mothers) will probably keep it afloat. I think most of us saw the pilot when it was leaked and I don't think much was changed (if anything the changes were made to later episodes). So what do you think of the show? Doe the future look bright for this member of the Superman family?

Avatar image for quinnofthestoneage
    QuinnoftheStoneAge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It was actually fairly decent

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While Batman gets a lot more love as a character, it seems like the Superman family is a much more viable option when it comes to TV. Heck, they made a show about his dog and yet not a single Batfamily spin off. While the show is very cheesy and has it's flaws, it could be because it's more aimed at girls that I notice it more. Flash proably has the same am mount of problems but I forgive it more or tend to ignore it. I might try to keep up with it and eventually fall behind. But this is my list of things that need to be fixed so far or don't like.

Fix List

Jimmy Olsen- Too hot and too cool, but you can't change the hot thing but he could dial it back on the smooth factor. And for the love of god drop the constant reminding us that you know Superman.

Fight Scenes- I can't bitch about the CGI or special effects but I hope they get a better trainer and learn how to make the fights more convincing. In the pilot when she's holding the ax, she doesn't seem to be struggling, and in the trailer the punches look so flimsy. Transfer over some of those Arrow fight trainers stat.

...That's all I got for now. I won't bitch too much about the Girl Power tone in writing. I just hope it doesn't get too overbearing.

RyDub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

maybe its just the horny geek in me but i was digging this costume better then the traditional one almost like a cross between supergirl and wonderwoman a bit

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Huh, so it was better than Man of......

No Caption Provided

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Archizooom

It's disappointingly made in the same vein as the CW's shows which I don't watch with the exception of izombie, I really clicked with Liv. Melissa Benoist is too pretty to pull that ugly-betty schtick, those specs don't take anything away from her and she's actually very well dressed imo. In Man of Steel, Henry Cavill was even sexier as Clark Kent, actually. Her body is sensational, her costume is nice but the belt feels costumy, it's a little bit distracting. One really has to wonder how she pays for that apartment. Overall it was mediocre but I feel like I have to watch it. I can't wait for Jessica Jones though, @dshipp17 the Purple Man is right up your alley

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It felt quite generic, but I liked it. I hope Superman shows up properly.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

He can't, legal issues.

That's why they won't use the name in the future too. He will only be implied.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Archizooom

The promo looks nice though so maybe it gets better. Why is her heat vision white and blue ??

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard:

No. I don't think it will be bright at all.

There's a lot of things I already didn't and don't like.

The main actress to me fails to deliver a Supergirl that is likable. At least to me.

The suit... Better to not even talk about that or I'm gonna start a sh*t storm, so lets avoid that.

How Supergirl is presented, the premise to the series, the old family feud thing, Calista as Cat Grant, Kara step-sister, even the reasons why she chooses to take up the mantle, for say, it all felt so little.

Yes. It will appeal to a much younger crowd, and female empowered women everywhere that like the character.

And maybe, just maybe it will have a second season. But so far I haven't seen anything that points to that.

I'll try to watch at least 5 to 6 more episodes. If nothing changes until then, it will be one less tv series to follow.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard:

No. I don't think it will be bright at all.

There's a lot of things I already didn't and don't like.

I'll try to watch at least 5 to 6 more episodes. If nothing changes until then, it will be one less tv series to follow.

You don't have to tag the op every time you post in a thread you know. People tend to go back and check.

I disagree with you on this. While you are entitled to your opinion of not liking it as I'm not going to defend the show cus even I have my problems with it, the proof is in the pudding. I can't say this show will flop cus it doesn't suit my tastes cus from what I see it's grabbing the demo it intended to. Seems like women really dig this show (even adult women from what I've been seeing), it's great counter programming to other shows and Gotham, and the demo its aiming for (little girls) it's a demo studios want because merchandising. Not to mention people want this show to eventually crossover with the CW shows so they might tune it to keep it afloat.

I can't say for sure it will live on past a 2nd season, but from where I stand it will most definitely get a second season cus of the huge opening (of course it could fall but I doubt it will be considering cancellation huge). All I can hope for is that the show fixes it's flaws as it goes on.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcomicfan said:

He can't, legal issues.

That's why they won't use the name in the future too. He will only be implied.

0:39

Loading Video...

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Squalleon

@black_arrow: Yes. Just this once. And that's why in the whole pilot they go with more subtle ways like your cousin, the boy in blue etc.

I am not saying that from my mind, the show-runners said on tweeter.

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: are you sure it wasn't WB saying no batman or superman in T.V then some legal issue

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Squalleon

@darknightspideyfanboy said:

@squalleon: are you sure it wasn't WB saying no batman or superman in T.V then some legal issue

Isn't that a legal issue :P They didn't got the license.

BTW the showrunners said specifically "legal" issues.

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: eh not really I say WB are just d!ck being about it

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

@squalleon: Here it is another promo for the second episode and they mention Superman's name again. Also In the first character they use it, so it's not jut for once (and that doesn't make sense if they can use it once why can't they use it multiple times). Maybe at first the showrunners couldn't use the name but now that has clearly changed.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the second episode came out and things are looking bleak for Supergirl.

I mean, how can a series of supposedly the magnitude they want to sell it, make so many mistakes in one episode.

And they are all rookie mistakes.

Here are the ones that stood out the most.

-So Kara is getting a lesson from her step-sister about being too overconfident, and they're both in a special room, that can emit kryptonite radiation to various levels, and Alex punches her right in the face. But here's the problem. When she does so the kryptonite radiation wasn't turned on yet. So for that to have missed the producers... Big, big mistake.

-Kara has to stop a out of control fire from reaching a ship filled with fuel. Kara tries to use her artic-breath and instead of going closer to the flames she just blows and not only it does she fails on the power and uses only super-breath instead, but she also throws down some fireman and increases the flames. Next she tries to pull the ship away from the flames. And where does she pulls the ship?! On the most vulnerable structural place on the ship, the front end. And while she is initially able to pull the ship away from the flames she breaks it's hull and all the fuel comes out into the water. So not only does Melissa Supergirl still very green but she's also not very bright seeing that anyone with half a brain would've known not to apply so much pressure on that point. And seeing her do those types of mistakes doesn't help the series at all.

-And the way she acts has Kara... It looks and sounds so fake that if anyone was to act that way around me, I'd ask them if they were high or had some kind of mental issue. One thing is being a little messy, a little insecure, and dorky. The other is being outright almost stupid. When Cat says she wants a interview with Supergirl and Kara has to contain herself from laughing in her face, she comes out with the most stupid excuse anyone could come up with. She could've simply told her "Well we can just assume she even wants to give interviews. For all we know she's nothing like Superman."

At least this way the scene would still have been funny and she wouldn't have come off like she was recuperating from a hangover.

-So she fights her aunt Astra, that was supposedly a general in the military guild of Krypton. Now mind you that Kara basically got a beat down from her step-sister early on, and out of nowhere she's able to hold her ground against her aunt. That... Was beyond stupid. It's like saying that if a normal everyday guy went against a Marine, a Ranger, even a police officer, that both would be on equal ground. When the matter of the fact is that Kara should've taken the beating of her life. And if Astra really wanted to she could've done to Kara what Kal did to Zod in MoS, but way more faster and easily.

It's scenes like these that are ruining the show in my perspective. I can't simply watch so many unbelievable scenes one after the other and then feel anything other that I'm just wasting my time with this show.

Also the dialogs are also badly thoughtout. So little Kara is on Krypton studying and comes in Alura and what do they talk about!? How Alura had missed her husband cooking. Cooking! Really!? On a supposedly so highly advanced civilization that other species from other planets use Krypton to imprison their most dangerous criminals in the Phantom Zone. And people still cook... That came off terrible. Another rookie mistake.

Not only that but we find out that Kara got the short end of the stick when it came to her parents preparing for her trip to Earth. That Superman at least has a fortress where the military can't get in (but still somehow know a lot about it) and where Superman can communicate with presumably Jor-El and Lara. While Kara only got her ship and the internal A.I simulation of her mother consciousness.

Which by the way was one of the things I most liked about Smallville. Terence Stamp voicing of Jor-El and how he communicated with Clark was always a highlight.

So episode two, and things are going worst. Or at least they're not getting better.

I'll watch it until 2016 but seeing the already awesome array of tv series coming our way in January 2016, Supergirl might find herself placed in the dark corner of cancelation. Or at least in the dark room of my mind.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde said:

The promo looks nice though so maybe it gets better. Why is her heat vision white and blue ??

It's another example why kryptonian characters are so badly written in comics and now tv shows. They don't even understand the powers, and as such they make those types of mistakes.

Her heat vision is white/blue because whoever is the science guy or girl on the team doesn't understand kryptonian powers, and thinks that heat vision is actually laser vision.

There are videos on YouTube that show why different types of stars emit different colors. How the temperature of the surface of the sun plays a vital role on the color. Coldest stars are red like that of Krypton, then we got Orange, Yellow, White and Blue. Just to make it simpler. The classes of stars goes beyond just those colors, or to be more accurate, there is a mixture of colors.

That's why our sun isn't actually yellow but yellow-white (more white than yellow). And that's why her "heat" vision is wrong in the color. If it was laser vision then it would be spot on. But seeing that it isn't, it's just a example of how badly they did their homework. A kryptonian heat vision supposedly works around this line of thought. Kryptonians can release the energy stored in their bodies in various forms. Heat vision basically being nothing more than highly concentrate infrared radiation particles being released from the eyes and has such, Superman heat vision is always red, no matter the energy he applies to it. Because it's heat/infrared energy being emited, and somehow someone on the Supergirl science team thought "Hell. This isn't right. If she fired light from her eyes at those temperatures then it should be red when it's cooler and white/blue at the highest temperatures." If you noticed when she powers down her "heat" vision her eyes glow red for like a second or two.

Well @saintwildcard I could also say you're being an optimistic. But I didn't said it did I?

And why I'm "hitting" Supergirl so hard is because she's got some serious competition coming her way. In January there are gonna debut some seriously interesting series. And if they don't get their act together, Supergirl is gonna get kicked to the curve.

And honestly from what I've seen so far, series like The Shannara Chronicles, Lucifer, Magicians, Shadowhunters, even the second part of season 6 of Teen Wolf are all looking great. Add to that the series that have been on a long run like Supernatural, and others that are still in its first or second season but that are also great, like Scorpion, and Supergirl might find herself canceled when they least expect it.

Honestly so far I haven't seen anything that makes Supergirl stand out. That's why I'm giving it some time for them to get their act together, or I'll dump it just has fast as I started.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: that's quite the in-depth analysis of Heat Vision. For me I think it just looks odd, heat vision has always been red whether or not that makes sense, doesn't matter, HV is iconically red period.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I am sort of tempted into catching up with Supergirl online but I have enough to catch up with as is currently. Benoist's depiction of Supergirl seems pretty much spot on with how the character should behave and act like upon choosing to use her powers to protect others, the tone is much more acceptable in its treatment of the Superman mythos and it's nice to see superpowers and superheroics being a more positive and uplifting experience. Having said that, the changes in the Superman mythology are not to my liking like Jimmy being the typical charming charismatic but supportive and caring love interest that the viewers can see coming from a mile away. Also, the contrast of Superman working alone whereas Supergirl accepts help is a very flat contrast given that Superman has friends both in his Clark Kent identity and in his Superman identity. Plus, the girl power label is not hidden very subtly at all and thankfully it's not a bad kind of feminism Supergirl is promoting but it's still a very one sided and simplistic one all the same that might turn off male viewers.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde:

Yes. Initially I believe that was the idea. Usually we associate hot stuff to the color red.

But has time went and people started to share more and more information, it became clear that infrared radiation if for example fired like a laser, it can be fired in two colors, red and green.

That's why when you see those night vision goggles working, the image is green. Because green makes it easier for human vision to recognize paterns and details. Red was discovered to make seeing a lot harder than green.

But in comics it makes more sense to keep the red, because red looks more badass, and green... well green is already used to such extension that for example having heat vision that was green and green kryptonite. Too much green!

Battinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe they actually made her vulnerable to BAT FANGS. That's right, when she complained about the DEO cave, she said she was bitten by a bat. Bat fangs have no kryptonite or anything, so how is this even possible?

Battinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why the hell is the heat vision blue? It almost looks like freeze vision.

Battinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huh, so it was better than Man of......

No Caption Provided

...bad reviews.

Battinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Battinson
    @smilingkyogre said:
    @battinson said:

I can't believe they actually made her vulnerable to BAT FANGS. That's right, when she complained about the DEO cave, she said she was bitten by a bat. Bat fangs have no kryptonite or anything, so how is this even possible?

What bat fangs ? When was that in show ?

"I was bitten by a bat in the last one!" - Supergirl. She's a below-animal level fodder and it's CONFIRMED.

Battinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@battinson said:

Why the hell is the heat vision blue? It almost looks like freeze vision.

Blue is hotter than red logically.

That is DARK BLUE, not light sky blue.

Battinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde:

Yes. Initially I believe that was the idea. Usually we associate hot stuff to the color red.

But has time went and people started to share more and more information, it became clear that infrared radiation if for example fired like a laser, it can be fired in two colors, red and green.

That's why when you see those night vision goggles working, the image is green. Because green makes it easier for human vision to recognize paterns and details. Red was discovered to make seeing a lot harder than green.

But in comics it makes more sense to keep the red, because red looks more badass, and green... well green is already used to such extension that for example having heat vision that was green and green kryptonite. Too much green!

Heat vision is not a laser. It's a beam of heat.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.