Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Thoughts on Birthright?

• 57 results
    SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

I've read this story more times than I have any other comic book. I have a lot of opinions on it but I'm curious how you feel and what you think about it.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I prefer Byrne's Man of Steel, I don't think Birthright was needed at the time though Leinil Yu did a good work the set up with Lex was too Smallvillish for my taste.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Never read it :/

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dimitridkatsis:

Lex is one of my criticisms of the book as well. I didn't like how they were friends in youth and how lex didn't recognize him. That part of the book was a chore to read, honestly. I think they only did it two have an even 12 issues rather than 11. I would much rather have had that issue be about Clark's relationships with Lana and Pete.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SOG7dc
    SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By SaintWildcard

@sog7dc said:

@saint_wildcard:

Dude...shame on you...

B- but I'm broke :(

At some point I'll go back and buy some Pre 52 Superman stories, but I'm not a fan of Waid. (I'll still buy Birthright to see what all the hub bub is about )

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SOG7dc

@saint_wildcard:

In my opinion it's the most complete Superman origin. Now that I think about it, it may just be the most complete super-hero origin in general. There's good and bad, yes, but it's a good read.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By FuzzyLittleRodent

It's the book that really got me into Superman in the first place. Really liked how his "humanity" was demonstrated during his trips around the world. Luthor was awesome in it and his superiority complex was handled very well. Also, this panel almost made me cry:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the best Superman story and the last page actually makes me cry.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Superguy1591

@fuzzylittlerodent: Almost? That actually made me cry.

P.S. Put some spoilers on that. It would ruined the essence of the book to people who didn't read it yet.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer Byrne's Man of Steel, I don't think Birthright was needed at the time though Leinil Yu did a good work the set up with Lex was too Smallvillish for my taste.

Lex knowing Clark goes back to the Silver Age. It isn't Smallville. Plus, I like how they explained Lex's obliviousness: Lex can't see past himself to recognize other people because he's a tool.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I agree with this. It's one of the best. I've read it so many times. And the last page is beautiful.

@sog7dc said:

@silverpool: @fuzzylittlerodent: @superguy1591:

I must be different than you guys because I didn't feel anything on that last page

How?! It's such a beautiful moment!

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Superguy1591

@sog7dc: The books starts out with the desire to find hope--finding Kal-El a home he could survive on without leaving him to die in space from lack of oxygen. After countless tries to do so, the finally Earth and they're not sure Kal can make it. In fact, Clark barely makes it to Earth as his life sup port system runs out.

Jor tells Lara that all they can do is hope that Kal makes it safely. What makes that page so touching was the fact that Kal was able to reward their hope and will in trying to protect their only child by telling them that: "I made it."

Thats the very essence of Superman. Giving people hope in the darkest of times.

donttellmymom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it is one of the more underrated Superman origin stories. Personally it is my favorite, but I think it came out at a time it wasn't really needed and that's why it flies a little below the radar, although it is still widely known.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee:

It just didn't mean anything to me. Idk why but it didn't hit me like it hit you guys.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591:

Yeah, I get all that. I do. It's why I've read it so many times. But that last page just didn't have any emotional impact on me.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: have you ever had a teary eyed moment reading a comic then?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Its my favourite superman origin book. The art coupled with the frankly brilliant writing made it a win win for me.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591:

Not really. The only comic to ever have an emotional impact on me was "Logan" by. Brian K Vaughan.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Birthright >>>> Man of Steel and Secret Origins imo.

While there are some things which I don’t like (for example, soul-vision, Lex), still, Birthright is must-read story for all Superman’s fans.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Love it. There are some things that I don't like but as an overall story it is very strong. My favorite part is the pre-Superman years of travelling. Its one of the most intriguing and untouched periods of Superman's life.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dimitridkatsis said:

Lex knowing Clark goes back to the Silver Age. It isn't Smallville. Plus, I like how they explained Lex's obliviousness: Lex can't see past himself to recognize other people because he's a tool.

Meh, modern age was more to my liking, Lex was this arrogant self made genius already when he met Supes and he actually discovered his secret identity only to disregard the information as "why would a Superman pose as human?", this really show his detachment from feelings.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Squalleon

@sog7dc: The books starts out with the desire to find hope--finding Kal-El a home he could survive on without leaving him to die in space from lack of oxygen. After countless tries to do so, the finally Earth and they're not sure Kal can make it. In fact, Clark barely makes it to Earth as his life sup port system runs out.

Jor tells Lara that all they can do is hope that Kal makes it safely. What makes that page so touching was the fact that Kal was able to reward their hope and will in trying to protect their only child by telling them that: "I made it."

Thats the very essence of Superman. Giving people hope in the darkest of times.

That it was one of those moments I am torn about, it took away from the tragedy of the situation and while it made me feel good about them I feel like a necessary element of Supes origin was taken needlessly. Again I am still torn so depending on the day I can see it both ways.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was awesome.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: there's no tragedy on the El's part though. Usually, the El's know Clark will make it. Him being able to tell them he made it is much better IMO.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Squalleon

@superguy1591 said:

@squalleon: there's no tragedy on the El's part though. Usually, the El's know Clark will make it. Him being able to tell them he made it is much better IMO.

Τhere is always tragedy. Its different dying knowing that your child will live a happy life than hoping that it will live one. Its not about him reaching earth, its about him leaving happily.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't have a copy myself, but did read it through in a book shop recently and felt it was a very good origin story...Its on my list to buy at some point, pretty much the only big name Superman book I am missing.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Superguy1591

@squalleon: but why do I need the El's to suffer a tradegy? I'm not trying to relate or feel sorry for them, I'm here for Superman.

Xenonyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like, as a relatively new but strong fan of Superman, I should read this...

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@xenonyte said:

I feel like, as a relatively new but strong fan of Superman, I should read this...

You definitely should.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: but why do I need the El's to suffer a tradegy? I'm not trying to relate or feel sorry for them, I'm here for Superman.

It adds to the strength of the Els and is one of the mainstays of the origin of Supes, an origin of hope, the El's died knowing, which is very heartwarming I don't say , I felt very good for them but it takes away from the main theme in Supes origin which is hope and dispair. To sum up it felt like fan-service.

That is you though, I personally feel for the Els. The Els are a huge part of Superman's lore, that you are not here for them doesn't mean they shouldn't connect to the reader. The supporting cast is what turns a good world into an alive one and a mediocre story into a good one. If I have learned one thing in comics, is that the supporting characters some times matter more to a good story than the hero himself and without a good cast, the hero's emotion and personality can't evolve or be explored. There is a reason Batman is the strongest franchise in DC at the moment and Green Lantern the second one.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Superguy1591

@squalleon: originally, Birthright was only a stand alone series, maybe that's why you thought it was too much of a fan service. As far the El's are concerned, they usually know that Clark is going to make it to Earth. In Superman: The Movie, Jor-El even sent him to Earth to play Jesus to us.

Man of Steel, too. I've never read Bryne's Man of Steel, but Secret Origins had the Jor and Lara well aware of that Kal would make it to Earth, too.

Usually, Superman origins don't usually have an ounce of doubt. I like that Waid decided to make Superman Moses again and not Jesus. Moses is sent away because he needed to be saved from suffering, Jesus is sent to us to save us from ourselves. I don't like that Superman is portrayed as this knight of a prophecy. I also like that their hope was rewarded instead of their faith. Hope implies uncertainty, but the will to push on. Faith is more about belief.

Too many Superman stories have him being the embodiedment of faith and not of hope. Maybe that's why I like Birthright so much. Clark had to figure out how to do things on his own without Jor-El playing God and guiding him along the way.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Squalleon

@superguy1591 said:

@squalleon: originally, Birthright was only a stand alone series, maybe that's why you thought it was too much of a fan service. As far the El's are concerned, they usually know that Clark is going to make it to Earth. In Superman: The Movie, Jor-El even sent him to Earth to play Jesus to us.

Man of Steel, too. I've never read Bryne's Man of Steel, but Secret Origins had the Jor and Lara well aware of that Kal would make it to Earth, too.

Usually, Superman origins don't usually have an ounce of doubt. I like that Waid decided to make Superman Moses again and not Jesus. I also like that their hope was rewarded. I also don't like the prophetic son sent to Earth to save us from ourselves. Maybe that's why I like Birthright so much. Clark had to figure out how to do things on his own without Jor-El playing God and guiding him along the way.

Being standalone or not doesn't matter either way and yes I knew it.

Making it to earth isn't the problem, but making it to earth and having a happy life, becoming a hero etc. As far as the El's were concerned Kal was sended in a world that could fear him because of his power, he could be a weapon, experimented or even killed at a young age before his powers were awaken, he was send into the unknown, yet that world was their best hope. Thats what I am trying to make you understand for a while now.

And again that is an element that I either like or not depending on my mood as I said before.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: well, technically I'm not really arguing with you. Just trying to see why our opinions differ. Put the gun back in holster. =)

Anyway, I've never read Man of Steel, but if I have read some WhatIf stories based on that origin where I remember Jor-El sending a probe to Earth and knowing that Earth has good people on it. Anyway, if it is anything like Man of Steel or S:TM, I don't see how hope is a part of those origins.

Jor-El: They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you...my only son.

This doesn't sound like doubt, this sounds like a prophecy.

Man of Steel Lara: Oh, Jor, what if he grows up all alone? What if no one finds him? What if they kill him?

Jor-El: how? He will be a god to them.

See? If Bryne's MoS is anything like those two movie...err. I think that was part of the reason why I didn't love Man of Steel. They made Superman: The Movie Begins instead going the Birthright type origin for a new generation.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: well, technically I'm not really arguing with you. Just trying to see why our opinions differ. Put the gun back in holster. =)

Anyway, I've never read Man of Steel, but if I have read some WhatIf stories based on that origin where I remember Jor-El sending a probe to Earth and knowing that Earth has good people on it. Anyway, if it is anything like Man of Steel or S:TM, I don't see how hope is a part of those origins.

Jor-El: They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you...my only son.

This doesn't sound like doubt, this sounds like a prophecy.

Man of Steel Lara: Oh, Jor, what if he grows up all alone? What if no one finds him? What if they kill him?

Jor-El: how? He will be a god to them.

See? If Bryne's MoS is anything like those two movie...err. I think that was part of the reason why I didn't love Man of Steel. They made Superman: The Movie Begins instead going the Birthright type origin for a new generation.

I never meant to attack you but you didn't see my point for more than two replies or so I thought. Byrne's version doesn't feature the El's for more than 5 pages, but Lara thinks they are "like savages" and the world is too primitive but again they are their only hope.

Well, in almost every version I know Jor-El does give the planet a quick check but never does he know his son will be happy among them. He always says they have the potential for good, never states it as a fact, he wishes, he sees the potential, he hopes his son will live happy among them because they can be great people.And the "he will be a god to them" from MoS was a comment on his power, not how earthlings will look at him.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That story is the first one i usually recomend to a guy who is new to the character. To me Birthright is superior even to All Star Superman.

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
    thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Superguy1591
    thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Superguy1591
    thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.