Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

There is nothing wrong with being a boyscout

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Its a big part of Superman. For years he has been known as the big blue boyscout, Superman was the guy who always followed the law and did the right thing. But for some reason nowadays people see that as a bad thing and want superman to challenge authority and be a "bad boy" like batman.

I always believed that the reason Superman is so popular was because he was that go to good guy. Superman has problems just like us, but he doesn't sit in them like some other superheroes he overcomes them and shows us the bright side of life. What made All-star Superman so great is that it showed us a laid back Superman that we could care for and it also showed us a superman he would cheer us up in our darkest moments, it showed us a guy who would never let us down.

One of my problems with Man of Steel was that Superman didn't have any of the charm that made the Christopher Reeve Superman resonate with a whole generation of people. I saw a post from a user the other day from my other thread about Jim Lee's Superman, The user said that he prefers that superman doesn't smile because "He looks more serious and cooler that way and not much of a boy scout. It makes me want to take him seriously". Does this mean that the Superman that many of us grew up with is to stupid and cheesy to be taken seriously these days. Im not asking for DC to completely take superman back to the silver age. Im asking them to lighten him up a bit.

A question that I have for the vine is Why is a boyscout personality seen as negative in comics nowadays? Why do writers feel the need to show Superman completely contradict his boyscout history?

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Unless your Cyclops. Cyclops is a terrible boyscout.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless your Cyclops. Cyclops is a terrible boyscout.

Considering the stupid and fucked up shit the writers made him do...especially when Stan Lee was writing it...

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lilben42

@eternal19: I personally thought his boy scout personality differed him from the rest of the heroes. Superman: TAS did very well and he was a boyscout. Anyway, I really hope in some other Superman movie they make him more of a boyscout. I saw a glimpse of it when Superman was talking to the army in the movie.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I liked Cyclops as a boy scout :(. Anyway people nowadays are so upset at the world and non-trusting that they don't wanna look up to a inspirational good guy. They'd rather have a dark vigilante who fights the law instead. Just the way it is now

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Manchine

Having someone that is a boyscout is far better then the dark hero types anyways. Personally this is one of the reasons why I like Superman.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We live in a cynical world. We need some optimism. We need a Superman to show us the way. And Batman would tell you that pissing off Superman is probably the stupidest thing you could do.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wolverine008

Batman isn't a "bad boy".

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10 the_stegman  Moderator

I'd rather have a boyscout looking over me than some dark, brooding anti hero.

Markies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Markies

I liked Cyclops and Superman as the boyscout characters, not what they're trying to turn them into. Honestly, i think there should be more boyscout characters

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eternal19: I don't see how having an insanely rigid no kill code makes you a "bad boy". Did you mean that negatively about Batman?

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: No I don't mean that negatively. The reason I like batman is because he is a darker character. Batman still doesn't have any problem with breaking the law if he feels its nessesary and doesn't have that ultimate good guy feel that you get from superman or spiderman

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eternal19: Ah, I got you. I thought you were basically trying to say Batman is a one dimensional tough guy.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is being a boyscout such a negative thing in the comic book world? Because look at society. Being a boyscout is always associated with conservatism. And we all know the state of the conservative side in the popular view today, right? The majority of close-minded Republicans and all these f*cked up extreme rightists and self-righteous bastards have bastardized the notion of being an old-school goody two-shoes American. And the liberals are feasting on it.

Avatar image for your_friendly_azn
    Your_Friendly_Azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is being a boyscout such a negative thing in the comic book world? Because look at society. Being a boyscout is always associated with conservatism. And we all know the state of the conservative side in the popular view today, right? The majority of close-minded Republicans and all these f*cked up extreme rightists and self-righteous bastards have bastardized the notion of being an old-school goody two-shoes American. And the liberals are feasting on it.

TJSH96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the way humanity is. Why can't we just have a world where everybody is nice, caring, thoughtful, not-arrogant, realistic, understanding, modest, willing to give everyone an equal opportunity, intelligent and such? Because humans are terrible creatures, that's why. I can't believe people on this planet think it's bad to be a "boy-scout" Call me a misanthropist, but humanity is bad, I hate it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@toplel said:

Its mostly that being dark, edgy and shit is considered cool now. Being a genuine nice guy is just plain boring and not appreciated as much anymore. The dark and gritty works with Batman because he is that type of a character; it'll never fit with Superman. When they say Batman and Superman and supposed to contrast each other, its because they did so with Superman being the nice guy as opposed to Batman's hard-assness.

DC are going for the dark, broody approach with Superman way too much now. Its disappointing. In an age obsessed with dark and gritty, Superman was still bright and hopeful, but not anymore.

This, and this alone.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.