Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

The worst story about Superman in the New 52 (DC You)

Avatar image for beautifultemptress
    BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Poll The worst story about Superman in the New 52 (DC You) (83 votes)

Doomed 13%
    Truth 52%
    H'El on Earth 5%
    Psi War 11%
    All 19%
     • 
    Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Truth. The others at least had the decency to end quickly. Truth has overstayed its welcome by months.

STELIOS23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Doomed and truth, the others weren't anything special in any way shape or form but the aforementioned were the worst in my opinion especially the current truth arc.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Chimeroid

Darkseid War Superman was plain retarded.

Avatar image for deactivated-59953d77c6a44
    deactivated-59953d77c6a44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doomed and truth, the others weren't anything special in any way shape or form but the aforementioned were the worst in my opinion especially the current truth arc.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Truth by a mile. Others didn't make me drop all the superman titles.

MaZeRaIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Truth. The others at least had the decency to end quickly. Truth has overstayed its welcome by months.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jogga

"Truth" is bad. But it was an expected bad. Everybody knew It was going to be bad and the only ones who defended changed their condescending tune after a few issues. In that regards, I genuinely laughed and got a bit angry at the writers, rather than the mediocre story and character portrayals.

That being said? Superman: Unchained had promised a good story, yet it dashed my hopes and dreams in one single swoop with the last two issues. It was supposed to be an All-Star cast book for Superman's 75th anniversary, but it ended up being a disappointing dud of a comic run that had some tedious delays and an incredibly UN-Superman ending that sounded like it came from a Superman apologist, rather than an actual Superman fan.

Truth can rot for all I care, I never had any connection to it since it started. Unchained, however, was the one that really opened my eyes to what type of Superman DC wants, so it can just rot with the rest of the mediocre Superman apologist stories like For Tomorrow and the like.

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
    suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By suemorphplus209

The problem with Doomed was that the plot was plain rediculous. Would have been a better plot if instead of the Doomsday infection being a Venom Symbiote/ Hulk ripoff, if it was a disease that was weakening and killing Superman, and Superman had a dramatic time limit to find a cure to Doomsday or die, presumably fighting his way to Brainiac and gulping the cure at the last second. This would be an interest alternate version of the Death of Superman, where he is trying to outrace death, as opposed to being beaten to death.

Also, the ending of Doomed was a gaping plot hole? Was he cured? How do we know? Or is he just SuperDoom (or I call him Super Hulk)

Truth has overstayed its welcome. It isn't a bad idea to demonstrate that his Identity is important, or that he has a time where he's a mansel in distress, but the execution and direction are shot up, and superman is being an immature prick about what really isn't a bad loss of power (it was worse in previous stories) and it's making me feel like Superman should go back to normal, even if it's just his power levels, just his secret identity, but I hope that it isn't both together.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doomed left a gaping plot hole and nerfed villains badly.

Truth, they need to end it because it doesn't really deliver the message, and is annoying to read about MMA fighter rather than Superman. I would sooner read a bad Superman Elseworlds where I can laugh at it than more of this Truth, which is the biggest torture to me since Spider-Man had the Clone Saga.

tedbundy654321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tedbundy654321

Doomed was terrible.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The minute the status quo is back people will bitch and Complain for truth to come back.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Squalleon

@z3ro180 said:

The minute the status quo is back people will bitch and Complain for truth to come back.

Nah, not really. This isn't Superior Spider-man or something similar where the fandom was divided.
    Truth is universally hated or ignored by all.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Truth. By a mile.

Psi War was actually not that bad and pretty interesting.

H'EL on Earth was very mediocore and Doomed had some good chapters and some bad.

Truth had a decent start for Action that went to dirt. SM/WW is the same. BM/SM and Superman have been garbage and we still have another few months to go with it...........*sigh*.

Avatar image for suemorphplus209
    suemorphplus209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: Not really, even I was hesitant early on to call it bad, but it really wore down my patience by this point. There were opportunities to bring back Conduit as a Superman villain, which got completely squandered. Then there's the big wonder about what deep moments there are about Superman getting some memorable life lesson, but the disappointment kicks in when there really isn't anything that leaves an imprint to me anyways. I would not mind at this point if Superman woke up from a coma and realized that he had gotten knocked out and had a bad dream about what happened. It's being dragged out and the writing is poor.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@z3ro180 said:

Nah, not really. This isn't Superior Spider-man or something similar where the fandom was divided.

Truth is universally hated or ignored by all.

Exactly, and Superior Spider-Man was still badly received enough to cause it a negative backlash in spite of good sales. When Slott came on the CV forums, that was his main go to defense. Truth doesn't have sales or popularity to salvage itself from, it's selling averagely at best, mediocre to me honestly.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Truth and doom

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TRUTH

AkshSarpanch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, people are hating Superman series.

Just why?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, people are hating Superman series.

Just why?

They are bad comics. Its simple as that.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was sorting out my books the other day to find the ones I wanted to get rid of. It was sad how many in the pile I am going to sell are New 52, specifically Superman. H'el on Earth, Krypton Returns, Doomed, Action Comics 4: Hybrid, B/S 2: Game Over, PSI War, S/W. Plus Superman Earth One Vol 1,2,3.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:

I was sorting out my books the other day to find the ones I wanted to get rid of. It was sad how many in the pile I am going to sell are New 52, specifically Superman. H'el on Earth, Krypton Returns, Doomed, Action Comics 4: Hybrid, B/S 2: Game Over, PSI War, S/W. Plus Superman Earth One Vol 1,2,3.

How come, I thought you liked those?

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:

The first time I read them I thought they weren't to bad but something felt off to me. On second reading I started disliking the story and the characters, and on third reading I hated them, so many things were annoying to me.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:
    @squalleon said:
    @azza04 said:

The first time I read them I thought they weren't to bad but something felt off to me. On second reading I started disliking the story and the characters, and on third reading I hated them, so many things were annoying to me.

It happens. The more you read, the more your standards are raised. Personally, I like only the first of the three volumes and I found it passable at least. The other two are a mistake, I wonder why DC decided to print them, then again, I can say that for most Superman comics of the last 10 years...

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:
    @squalleon said:
    @azza04 said:

It happens. The more you read, the more your standards are raised. Personally, I like only the first of the three volumes and I found it passable at least. The other two are a mistake, I wonder why DC decided to print them, then again, I can say that for most Superman comics of the last 10 years...

I agree. I liked the art but as for the story....certain elements I liked, such as Krypton being assassinated and them being at war with another planet which was a nice explanation as for why the Kryptonians never left Krypton and discovered they got powers. But I thought the villain looked ridiculous and why only send one guy???

What I also hated was that there was no reason what so ever why Clark would of become Superman. His childhood was miserable and nothing in it led me to believe that he would even remotely be interested in helping people and being Superman. Oh I also remember the moment that inspired Clark to reveal himself was so dam stupid, Jimmy Olsen decided to stand in front of a robot that was about to kill him and refused to stop taking it's picture and move, he said something like staying and dying for the picture was totally worth it. It was such a bizarre moment and it actually inspired Clark to put on the suit. Anyway I could write a whole page about what put me off the other two volumes.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Truth. I actually liked H'El on Earth and Psi War was okay. Didn't care for Doomed. Truth is trash

deathfalcon182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: you have link of Dan Slott posting here.

KaraZorL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

H'El on Earth has only 4%?

Nobody love Truth.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DieHard200904

@karazorl said:

H'El on Earth has only 4%?

Nobody love Truth.

I tried Truth, but after a while I stopped, because Superman kept being forced to be an asshole to one person after another. Jimmy was enough for me to just say screw this, no more truth stuff. My feelings about H'El on Earth were mixed. But if you asked me what a big problem with Truth was, I would say it was mostly how long they dragged it out. It was a little long of a wait and Savage Dawn could have started sooner.

KaraZorL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@diehard200904:

This story continues already 9 months. It would be not so bad, if the plot was good. And new. The Superman without abilities already was in the past. Powered by kryptonite also not the new. The most awful in this story, that the Superman was shown with the worst side. Lois was shown as the traitor, which with the real betrayal has nothing common. Unfortunately, Wonder Woman also shown with the worst side.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karazorl said:

@diehard200904:

This story continues already 9 months. It would be not so bad, if the plot was good. And new. The Superman without abilities already was in the past. Powered by kryptonite also not the new. The most awful in this story, that the Superman was shown with the worst side. Lois was shown as the traitor, which with the real betrayal has nothing common. Unfortunately, Wonder Woman also shown with the worst side.

DC editorial is most likely is against relationships working out, (Dan Didio) probably still are. So they probably figured to set up Truth so that Clark rejects both women, and neither woman wins Clark for that round. Don't ask me, it's stupid, but I am going to bet that editorial and their issues were part of it, but they didn't have to make him such an ungrateful bastard in terms of how he rejected both women.

They should have stuck with the story that Lois exposed him out of panic, but they weren't consistent about that, which is rediculous, and has parallels to Marvel's Civil War crossover event, such as no consistency as to what the Registration Act entails. Basically, DC is looking a lot like Marvel was a few years ago. I don't think one team knows what the other one is doing, that or they do not care.

I stopped Truth partway through and will not finish it. Personally, I was just tired of how badly they made Clark treat everyone around him, and yeah, Diana was written off as a target for his hissy fits when in other stories she seized command of the JLA for Clark's incompetence, notoriously Kingdom Come. Don't ask me WTH is going on with DC right now, because I have no idea.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I haven't read it yet but Truth irks me. The rest I enjoyed excluding doomed which I haven't read yet

BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Truth is the worst story about Superman. Only the lazy and those who don't care about Superman not criticized Truth. But unfortunately, DC ignoring the opinion of fans and continues the story.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

@jogga said:

That being said? Superman: Unchained had promised a good story, yet it dashed my hopes and dreams in one single swoop with the last two issues. It was supposed to be an All-Star cast book for Superman's 75th anniversary, but it ended up being a disappointing dud of a comic run that had some tedious delays and an incredibly UN-Superman ending that sounded like it came from a Superman apologist, rather than an actual Superman fan.

This

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By primebonnick

Truth no doubt and worse is that it ruined the superman/wonderwoman book

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would genuinely like to know if what people hate about Truth is the concept or the execution. Because I think Truth has a really strong premise and would like to see more of those types of Superman stories.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

@thepreface: My issue with it is the execution. Also, I think Clark being depowered and losing his SI are concepts that might have worked better seperately.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thepreface : execution for me was worse it was so poor.

BeautifulTemptress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@primebonnick: Truth ruined not only this comic. Superman, Action Comics and Batman\Superman also was ruined.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

psi war was okay, doomed started okay then kinda went nowhere, H'el has a disappointing origin/ending. i liked truth but i can agree it did drag on when it could have ended sooner . wished they kept clark as a somewhat powerless hero dealing with street level stuff, while the old supes who is now sneaking around can do whatever the fans want him to do (wear red underwear, always win,j put me to sleep, etc)

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Well I think we all agree Truth is the worst of the New 52 Superman stories, especially since even New 52 Superman fans don't defend it like they have with some of the other stories on the list. That really does say something.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#42  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I voted for all.

Truth started about decent but went downhill

~MiB

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By The_Kidd

Truth then Doomed.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

Voted for Doomed though I had no idea what Truth was.

Just by the few panels I have seen Truth looks terrible.

H'El on Earth will have a bit of special place in my heart. Not because it's amazing. It's only good or decent though cuz Lobdell and Rocafort were so nice and friendly when I met them. It helped me connect with the story a bit more knowing the people behind the comic.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm overall underwhelmed by Superman in general in the main New 52 Canon. Like his feats have been less than impressive and way more impressive when he makes cameos in other books. Injustice Superman is what he should be. Far more focused, resolved, and consistent. Just not evil.

Ultimately my least favorite story which I'm surprised wasn't listed was Men of Tomorrow. Damn everything about that arc fall to pieces midway through and forced you to sit through the end. Begging for the book to stop.

Afterward I can say Return of Krypton was so underwhelming... H'El didn't even put up any effort, the story was lukewarm, and oh yea these bastards killed Superboy... And in the next Issue Clark literally doesn't even mention it... he took that pretty well.

I love the idea of Doomed but Teenage Doomsday with zero backstory or emotional connection to Superman and then gets ripped in two was... pointless? Why Doomsday? A Diversion? He couldn't pick any other villain? How in the living fuck did Doomsday just outright die from being ripped in half? I read Hunter/Prey, he has died from worse... as an infant. Where'd the death virus come from? Brainiac wasn't cognizant enough to think that the very brains he wanted to snatch could be eliminated by the presence of walking death? Oh look Red Lantern Supergirl is here... for some reason... and that's all... then SuperDoom fights nondescript villain on nondescript planet... Cyborg Superman shows up to get bodied. And more about Hank Henshaw being subordinate to Brainiac. What? That psychopath submitted to Brainiac? The same technopath who took over Apokalips?

Look I liked the idea of Clark fighting his "inner Doomsday" but there was a billion holes and inconsistencies in Doomed

I don't know which I can actually say I liked the least.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SanoHibiki

Did not vote because too few options.

Several stories in AoS were terrible, but they are not part of New-52 continuty.

Well, about 50% of Men of Tomorrow and Truth arcs and last two or three issues of Superman Unchained - can't decide which one I dislike more.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.