Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

The World Needs Superman

Acharya77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Acharya77

The following are basically just some random thoughts I'd get out of my head and type out here. Just my little way of giving said thoughts something of an outlet. Not sure if there's any point to be made here or anything just take this with a grain of salt and indulge this fan boy if you would.

I was born back in 1982, and one of the first super heroes I was ever introduced to was Superman. My mom used to put the Christopher Reeves films on for me as a kid and I loved it. There were even VHS tapes of the old cartoons from the 40's and 50's. Course there were other cartoons and the like at that time, but those two things seemed to stick with me the most. I think the only other thing of significance that ever came along was the Superman Animated Series that started on the WB. It was a great show in my opinion and naturally I fell in love with the subsequent Justice League series that would follow.

But back in the 80's and early 90's when I was a kid, Superman was who I wanted to be. Yes I was one of those kids who would tuck his blanket into shirt and pretend to fly. Thankfully I never attempted to jump off my parents roof. But anyway, over time there would be other super characters I grew very fond of like Batman, Spider-Man, Captain America, and Iron Man etc. But Superman for me to this day still reigns up there above all of them. As I got older I thought less of Superman as this idol and more so of an idea. The ideal super hero. Someone who'd stand up for the little guy, would always do the right thing no matter what. He'd never let things like angst or having to be gritty get in the way. He was the boy scout, and I've always loved that about his character.

Now mind you I haven't really payed attention to many of the recent comics so I can't really give any opinions on those as I've mostly followed Superman through animation and movies. And to get one elephant out of the room ,no I didn't like that recent Superman Returns movie with Brandon Routh and I'm not going to list the reasons why because I'm sure that's been talked about ad nauseum. But even despite some of the negative things that's happened with him in the various forms of media, be it comics, movies, tv shows etc, I hope that the idea of Superman's character never changes. Because in a world where every super hero has to have a bunch of emotional baggage, drama, angst and my least favorite "gritty" we still need the colorful hero who doesn't do things out of simple revenge or anger. Sure Superman has done things like that mostly against Darksied and for obvious reasons but for the most part I like to remember Superman for showing compassion and benevolence, things that I feel some heroes are missing today. Thankfully we still have guys like Captain America who have thankfully been done justice in recent films.

But still there hasn't been a whole lotta love for Superman and in essence I can't blame some folks for thinking of him as a second rate character considering the treatment he's gotten in recent media, or the lack there of. But I have a lot of hope for the upcoming film Man of Steel. I'm hoping that no matter what they do with the story that the essence of his character is still there. That he's the true boy scout super hero who will always do the right thing. It's a type of character I wish we could see more of in films, tv, comics, etc. We don't always need the drama, sometimes all we need is someone who's brave and bold and someone you feel like you could always depend on. The world needs heroes like these, the world needs Superman.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@Atary77: First let me say I'm right there with you man. I'm a die hard Superman fan and he was the first superhero I was introduced to with Spider-Man following soon after. You're right, Superman isn't an idol and he's not just a character, he's an idea that can't and won't be changed. You said that you haven't read any of the recent comics, well you'll be happy to know that while he may act slightly different, Superman is still the hero you grew up with.

I always believed that Superman personifies that part of us that wants to reach out and help our fellow man, that part of us that would help anyone and anything we could if we had the chance. Sure the whole concept of superheroes has that message, but it all started with Superman and he continues to show that.

FrankenKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By FrankenKong

To me Superman is the first and will be the last superhero to ever truly exist. I, like many other people would tie a towel around my neck when I was young. Would jump off my bed and run flying around the house pretending/wanting to be Superman. Superman is the true ideas of freedom, peace, heroism, justice and not just the American way. But the way all humans and other sentient beings should all be throughout the cosmos. Of course he also has his faults and flaws which only make him that much more real in our eyes.

I believe Batman and Martian Manhunter said it best about Superman. Batman said "Its a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark, is the most human of us all. Then he shoots fire from the sky's and its hard not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that that does not occur to him." and Martian Manhunter said " we share a precious gift. We are, all of us, privileged to live a life that has been touched by Superman. The Man of Steel possessed many extraordinary gifts, and he shared them with us freely. None of these gifts were more remarkable than his ability to discern what needed to be done, and his unfailing courage in doing it, whatever the personal cost. Let us all strive to accept his gift, and pass it along, as an ongoing tribute to Kal-El of Krypton, the immigrant from the stars, who taught us all how to be heroes."

lady_liberty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By lady_liberty

We as people need the idea of Superman.

As a race humans have always invented gods, and devils. Forces that represent our hopes and dreams, or our fears and dreads.

Superman represents the best of us. What we should all aspire to be, noble, kind, self sacrificing. The perfect human.

We have come to accept the idea that everyone is fake. Different on the inside then on the out. Our celebrities will eventually be exposed as perverts, or drug addicts. Our political leadership as bought and paid for phonies, if not worse. There's no one to look up to.

But Superman offers us someone who is the same on the inside as he is on the outside. He will not ever disappoint you. He's always watching from the sky, not to swoop down and correct you for some flaw, but to save you in your worst moments.

We need the idea of Superman, and that's why he has stuck around so long.

ratman19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ratman19

@Atary77: well said supermans the greatest.

CrimsonCake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CrimsonCake

Hopeful they'll never butcher superman's mythos to suit a specific audience.

SuperJimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SuperJimmy

Very well said. Respect :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.