Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18886 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

The Superman Story that could have changed EVERYTHING

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

In 1940 Jerry Siegel produced a script for a Superman story that would have totally changed the character's status-quo not only would it introduce is first real weakness (K-metal), but it would have changed his relationship with Lois Lane forever. The story was drawn up but canned, possibly due to pressure from the producer of the Radio Drama (but no one is sure for certain). Only bits and pieces survived until Mark Waid found the original script in the DC Archives, he re-typed the script and eventually a version was produced online using the script and as much of the 1940's art that has survived.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Through their investigation into a gangster Lois and the depowered Clark are trapped in a mine, just as they are almost out of of oxygen the meteor passes and Clark's powers return... He is able to save Lois but unable to maintain the secret of his dual identity.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

So the story ends with the K-metal sample stolen, and Lois with full knowledge of Superman's identity. There'd be no going back, but then the story never saw print. I find the idea that K-Metal causes humans to have Kryptonian powers, or at least Golden Age Kryptonian powers, which if K-Metal itself was ever actually used could have been a pretty interesting way to have OTHER Superman characters show up. Like during DC's whole "NO OTHER KRYPTONIANS PERIOD!" phase they could have just had a it empower people like Power Girl or Linda Danvers and boom. Power Girl and Supergirl exist with no problems. It could have even lead to a VERY interesting take on Metallo, still a cyborg but still human enough to be sufficiently amplified by the K-Metal thus making him an even MORE dangerous opponent since he's not just weakening Superman, his strength is also growing from exposure as well.

I actually like the fact that it really established how long it took Golden Age Superman to uncover his roots. The fact that it seems to have developed the idea of Kryptonite even before the radio show did. But maybe most importantly, I like how even though the Clark-Lois-Superman triangle was one of the most personal, and successful, parts of the Superman myth, that Joe and Jerry did seem to come to realize, at least over time, how easily it could be perceived as sexist. Working toward character development and story progression was also a rather rare goal at the time, and it's kind of a shame that Siegel and Shuster weren't encouraged in breaking that trend.

I find the idea that K-Metal causes humans to have Kryptonian powers, or at least Golden Age Kryptonian powers, which if K-Metal itself was ever actually used could have been a pretty interesting way to have OTHER Superman characters show up. Like during DC's whole "NO OTHER KRYPTONIANS PERIOD!" phase they could have just had a it empower people like Power Girl or Linda Danvers and boom. Power Girl and Supergirl exist with no problems. It could have even lead to a VERY interesting take on Metallo, still a cyborg but still human enough to be sufficiently amplified by the K-Metal thus making him an even MORE dangerous opponent since he's not just weakening Superman, his strength is also growing from exposure as well.

Still, a look into what might have been I suppose.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

"A fittings fate"

God dam right superman

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

"A fittings fate"

God dam right superman

Because that's totally what Superman should be about in the modern world, saying good riddance to criminals and bad people. What an inspirational example of a standard to set.

This is an interesting find but I'm still not sold or perhaps clear on how this Superman story could have changed everything as you say. Is it Lois knowing about the secret identity sooner that makes it influential?

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: o man I remember superman saying "good riddance" to a bunch of criminal dying

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@lvenger: Well namely that Lois and Clark's relationship would be VERY different all these years for one.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@smart_dork_dude: It would definitely be different if that story had gone through, the dynamics of Lois and Superman in the Silver Age might not have happened if she knew he was Superman. Then again, they might still have been about Lois' quest to get Superman to settle down and marry her regardless of whether she knew Superman or not, the people in charge of the comics at that time did have a specific mindset when it came to Lois' infatuation with Superman.

OrangeBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

But maybe most importantly, I like how even though the Clark-Lois-Superman triangle was one of the most personal, and successful, parts of the Superman myth, that Joe and Jerry did seem to come to realize, at least over time, how easily it could be perceived as sexist.

I've still got no idea how, so sue me.

The only thing that really strikes me as original in that is K-Metal gives ordinary people powers, and Lois knows Clark's secret. And both of these have already been done now (there's a variant of kryptonite introduced in the Silver Age which gave ordinary humans kryptonian powers, and the Modern Age gave us the Clark & Lois marriage). And possibly having an end in mind for the story of the Man of Steel.

Personally, I'm kinda glad this never went through, because for all that Superman has been driven into deep dirt recently, he's still a stronger character for having evolved beyond the trappings of Siegel & Shuster's tales.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am glad it didn't happen. It kept some drama running that way

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.