Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

The Superman Destruction Argument in BvS

Wily119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I remember reading in an article once about how BvS would discuss the topic of the destruction caused by Superman vs The Kryptonians between Batman and Superman. (Maybe some other heroes as well.)

I hope they don't.

Why? because the argument is a hindsight argument, and everybody can usual think of doing something better after they have already did it.

With all heroes who are apparently in MOS/BvS universe, anybody could have lent a hand. Even if Batman couldn't have been that great of an asset during the fight, the terraform machine was over the Indian Ocean. Aquaman could have easily summoned some humungous sea creature to help stop it, or help Superman lead Zod out of the city.

This isn't to say that I don't want the ramification of Superman's actions to be discussed, but I don't want a movie where Superman is sulking for half of it, while everybody comes and talk to him like he is a child, which many writers have let happened in past work

Superman could probably end the argument with this:

"You saw the Kryptonians invade earth, with a giant machine that was going to kill all humans, and did nothing. The military and I, were the one fighting off the invasion, with me taking most of the beating. Yeah, I wished I could have stopped all of the destruction and paid more attention to my surrounding, but I still saved the ENTIRE world with the destruction of one city."

Transformaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's going to be hard to explain where auqaman was during the Indian Ocean disaster. .was he hiding or what..? Lol seriously. .he will probably show up to earth after the invasion.. complaining of his water being polluted by the world engine..cyborg will develop his arsenal at the middle or end of the movie for a military weapon against superman. Batman will make superman out to be the villain..WW will be neutral showing up after the invasion to help earth. .they all try to fight sups..sups doesn't want to fight..WW stops the fight with a peace speech..they join together to fight the main villains which will probably be another alien attack

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By youknowwhattodo

I do think that the OP raises an important issue regarding some of the proposed elements in the screenplay of Batman Vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice and that is that when MOS was created, I don't think it was intended to be the introductory film to the DCCU as much as it was just a Superman reboot. If it was, then we would have had much more than a Wayne Enterprises satellite easter egg to establish the connection and we would have seen a completely different screenplay.

As a result, I think it would be prudent for Chris Terrio to ignore the events of MOS as much as he possibly can because the idea that Superman should pay because of the third act of MOS isn't fair. The main reason is that I don't think the destruction was meant to tell a deeper story as much as it was to just put as much CGI destruction as possible, which is very common in summer blockbusters. The other reason as the OP says is that it would be hard to take the other characters beef with Supes seriously because when the planet was in crisis for a few days, he was the only superhero doing anything about it.

Just because in hindsight MOS is the film that began the DCCU doesn't mean the writers have to force future story lines to recognize that because it will make the writers job harder and likely create massive plot holes.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's going to be hard to explain where auqaman was during the Indian Ocean disaster. .was he hiding or what..? Lol seriously. .he will probably show up to earth after the invasion.. complaining of his water being polluted by the world engine..cyborg will develop his arsenal at the middle or end of the movie for a military weapon against superman. Batman will make superman out to be the villain..WW will be neutral showing up after the invasion to help earth. .they all try to fight sups..sups doesn't want to fight..WW stops the fight with a peace speech..they join together to fight the main villains which will probably be another alien attack

Aquaman was probably somewhere else? it's not like he can go from one part of the ocean to the other in a blink of the eye....he might not have even known that it was happening

Transformaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By UltimateSMfan

I literally just watched MOS again like an hour and a half ago so- (And sat 2 feet away from the tv and watched and listened properly)

@wily119: Agreed but it should at least be be referenced like OMG this history/world/humanity altering Super event just took place and now this is a post THAT world......And now we have a freaking FLYING man FLYING around town saving people. Since MOS is a real life setting all this would be F8#@$g huge.(I really thought about that hard while watching it this time) My very careful observation, not quite yet superman when thrown in the deep end head first did everything he could and you're right he did save the entire world.

@danhimself said:

@transformaa said:

Aquaman was probably somewhere else? it's not like he can go from one part of the ocean to the other in a blink of the eye....he might not have even known that it was happening

Yup.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wily119: It's kind of hard to focus on not destroying property when a super powered being is tossing you through buildings.

Wily119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: I'm not too sure about that. Aquaman is easily the fastest thing in the ocean and with his ability to talk to sea life, I just don't see how some kind of fish, merperson, animal, or heck, even though shockwaves from the machine hitting the water couldn't have got his attention. With the rumor that he will appear in BvS in some form, I feel like a lot of 'Aquaman is useless' jokes are going to pop up if he gives Superman crap about the ocean.

@ultimatesmfan I definitely want people to question the idea of Superman and if the MoS/BvS world needs him (the answer is yes.), but I want a real, though out debate, not harp on Superman for tearing up building while saving the world and all living beings on it. The government calls in Superman trying to strong arm him, Supes tells em off, they create anti-Superman task force for him; I'm for that, I just don't want the writers to make Superman look like an idiot when he takes on these debates, to make other heroes and characters look good.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wily119 said:

@ultimatesmfan I definitely want people to question the idea of Superman and if the MoS/BvS world needs him (the answer is yes.), but I want a real, though out debate, not harp on Superman for tearing up building while saving the world and all living beings on it. The government calls in Superman trying to strong arm him, Supes tells em off, they create anti-Superman task force for him; I'm for that, I just don't want the writers to make Superman look like an idiot when he takes on these debates, to make other heroes and characters look good.

Oh my God! Completely agreed, they Dare do that!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@wily119 said:

@danhimself: I'm not too sure about that. Aquaman is easily the fastest thing in the ocean and with his ability to talk to sea life, I just don't see how some kind of fish, merperson, animal, or heck, even though shockwaves from the machine hitting the water couldn't have got his attention. With the rumor that he will appear in BvS in some form, I feel like a lot of 'Aquaman is useless' jokes are going to pop up if he gives Superman crap about the ocean.

there are 321,003,271 cubic miles of water in the oceans...I'll admit that I'm not too familiar with Aquaman feats but let's say that he was on the other side of the Earth when all of this went down....do you think that he would be fast enough to get there by the time that Superman handled it?

Wily119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wily119

@danhimself: I doubt either of us are going to find a solid answer for this question, unless an Aquaman fan come by, but I'm just throwing out what I know. Since BvS is basically the prolouge for the Justice League, most of the heroes would have to already exist in the Mos world. If the Zod's machine landed and I say it was there for about half a day before Superman intervened, based on comic/movie realism, Aquaman should have heard from something that alien forces are coming to destroy Earth, destroying the oceans too.

I just don't see how Aquaman could have done nothing if he exists in that universe. Since DC has allowed Aquaman to use mythological ocean life in battle, I don't see why he couldn't send a kraken or some megashark to attack. This is pure speculation though, since Aquaman could have been on the other side of the planet.

Only, in BvS, I don't see how any other heroes are going to call Superman out on anything, since they exist in the world, but allowed Supes to take on an alien invasion, with intentions on destroying the all life on the planet, by himself. Heck, they probably should thank him.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well Flash and Green Lantern probably didn't exist yet. Aquaman would exist but I don't think he should show up in this movie at all. Nothing happened with the fish and he is blissfully unaware of everything so far. The only ones who should have noticed are the Amazons. Maybe the World Machine knocked out the stealth field around their island. They wouldn't have had time to react though to help. So yeah it's just on Batman for not doing anything.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they address it in the film but I don't want them to make Superman look wrong or foolish in any of these debates.

Wily119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muffin_sangria: Yeah, I agree with your assessment, but I do agree with an earlier poster point about the MoS universe. It really isn't a jumping point for a Justice League movie. With the Avengers buildup everybody had their own isolated problem to deal with, nothing that was really world ending. MoS, Supes literally saved the whole world in his first showing, from a threat that the whole world knew about. Building a movie based on the destruction or if Superman is needed is moot when every living being on Earth was going to die, and after Superman's intervention only Metropolis and part of the Indian Ocean was damaged.

So, I really hope BvS has a heck of a script to explain everybody's absence, It would be a great scene though for the Justice League movie, if the original members sat down for their first meeting, and Superman looks around and say, "Where the heck were you guys when I was fighting an alien army and saving the entire world? And you, Aquaman, how did you drop the ball like that? The world ending machine literally landed in your backyard! That was literally the one job that you were perfect for!"

But hey, a guy can dream.

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aquaman could have been fighting Black Manta underwater. Steve probably hadn't crashed yet, so why would Diana be there. Flash and GL probably not existing yet. What would Batman even do?

marvel123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the kryptonians in MOS could have totally just terra-formed mars....and lived there. just saying

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wily119: For the most part I just don't want Aquaman popping till a later movie I don't really see why it would be necessary to address what he was doing when the World Engine hit either. The engine didn't land in the middle of the ocean. While near the ocean it clearly landed on some sort land mass. I guess it must have been an island given the general location, but that's still kinda a grey area for what's his to protect. Another thing to consider is that Atlantis would most likely be in the Atlantic not the Indian Ocean. Given the Superman was given some prier notice and that his flight speeds are probably greater then Aquaman's swimming speeds it just makes sense that he would have been the one to get there first and take care of it. Maybe they could do something with Aquaman complaining about fish dieing but I think that would just bring him into play before he should be.

Jhaigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe Aquaman was fighting a Kryptonian that was left behind to defend the Indian world engine. Itwouldcertainly help the useless jokes

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SanoHibiki

Actually, this thread raised a very interesting point.

Yes, it would be easy to invent some reason why other erm… metahumans didn’t help Superman during MOS; still, it would limit them all in one capacity. They shouldn’t be revealed to the world, shouldn’t be active as heroes before that (well, except Batman and mayybeee Flash). Atlantis and Themyscira still hidden, Diana should still be at home and not living in Patriarch’s world, Green Lantern shouldn’t still be chosen, etc. Perry White made a big fuss – “ramifications of alien on Earth would be enormous” and all like that. I’ll bet this wouldn’t have been such a deal if people knew about space police (Lanterns), women’ or underwater nations.

P.S. And, truthfully, I don’t want the entire BM v SM to be based on “Who should be blamed for destructions in Metropolis”. Acknowledge that – yes, but not more than that.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvel123 said:

the kryptonians in MOS could have totally just terra-formed mars....and lived there. just saying

Actually, things are not so simple. In MOS novelization was indicated that majority of past terraformings failed, changed planets didn’t have any ecosystems and in large wasn’t suitable for Kryptonians. Zod deemed that since Earth already has developed lifeforms in abundance, it would be prudent to terraform it (more chances for success).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.