Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

The Return of Superman’s Powers

• 93 results
    the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51 the_stegman  Moderator

@heirtothekingdom: MM doesn't even like reading minds without permission, let alone wiping the minds of everyone on Earth.

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

So he is becoming Ultraman?

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Mark_Stephen

Especially since the reboot erased that episode it would also have erased the idea that there are any consequences to mind-altering someone. On a personal note I've always felt that Catwoman's not seeking any sort of payback for what Zatanna did to her really cheapened the character.

There is a lot to handle from this storyline, Lois outing him, Steve Trevor and the US government going after him an others in Smallville, the fact that he now knows just how bad it will be for him from now on. Powers or no powers he's got a target on him now, he can never have a Clark-like life again because they'll always be looking for him.

I really don't think DC has it in them to handle everything that's come from this. I think they'll sweep it under the rug with the reboot.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually his new "senses" are similar to the new 52s Superboy's.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So...is superman going to be immune to kryptonite now?

zackisme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How the hell did Vandal Savage pull this off? I mean Supes body never being able to absorb sunlight. If it was told already, I wish someone would tell me.

Dark_Stranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So he's powered up by Kryptonite now, and while it's making him strong or stronger than he was originally on Yellow Sun, it's also killing him?

Sounds a bit like All-Star Superman. Where he takes too much Yellow Sun radiation, and get's super powered out of it, but it also gives him cancer and kills him off.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems the one power Supes doesn't have is the power to be interesting. Damn DC can't come up with anything to keep Supes relevant. The last truly great Superman story was All Star Superman. DC really needs to get Grant Morrison back or Mark Waid since they seem to have a grasp on the character better than anyone else.

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
    HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By HeirToTheKingdom

@the_stegman: That's true, but the New 52 has a lot of inconsistent things, so it could still be a possibility.

If not him, Superman can make a deal with that Hector guy ( big headed telepath) to erase their minds.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SupermanS powers change depending on what his body "can" absorb,now he can't absorb solar energy,because he has a layer of mutated cells,but he is killing them with the kryptonite.doesn't mean he is immune to it,its still hurting him,and willess kill him over time.the whole idea Is to burn off the bad layer before it kills him.

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
    HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heirtothekingdom: MM doesn't even like reading minds without permission, let alone wiping the minds of everyone on Earth.

N52 MMH is a spy sent to infiltrate Earth's defenses, why would that be too immoral for him?

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mark_stephen: I'm pretty sure catwoman tied Zatanna to a chair, gagged her then threw her out a two or three story window after confronting her while still strapped to the chair. Isn't that payback enough?

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

hope it leads to something good, i was liking him as somewhat powerless, made fights interesting ,etc etc. otherwise zzzzzzzzzzz-pass!

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just in time for his mediocore MOS sequel

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maxwell Lord did it, you know)

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I am SHOCKED! SHOCKED, I SAY!

bobthened

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: you never know, he did just almost destroy the Planet.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Mark_Stephen

@kiba said:

@mark_stephen: I'm pretty sure catwoman tied Zatanna to a chair, gagged her then threw her out a two or three story window after confronting her while still strapped to the chair. Isn't that payback enough?

Not really, and she never tied her to a chair. Zatanna told her what she and the rest of the JL had done, Catwoman managed to slap a piece of tape over her mouth and then hit her and threw her out a window, but Zatanna pulled the tape off and stopped her from following up. After that Catwoman did nothing to her or the other JL members (and this was a woman who had once gone to great lengths to get some payback from Lex Luthor) and later even though Zatanna had sworn never to do anything like that again she teamed up with Talia to kidnap Catwoman and erase the knowledge of who Batman was from her mind. In the process Catwoman's house was destroyed (she was living with Harley and Ivy at the time) and even then Catwoman did nothing but sulk in the rain. Zatanna and the rest of the JL were guilty of kidnapping, assault, assault with a dangerous weapon (her powers) and they walked away from it free and clear. So much for the 'justice' part of the justice league. I think the writers never went beyond the stunt part of the idea of having Zatanna and the rest do the mind altering on criminals, they either didn't have the talent or the will to finish the story in any real way.

If nothing else stunts are a good way to erase bad writing.

never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wekos1187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had to drop this. To many titles to pick up for one story line.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

meh

This could have been great.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I'll give Pak credit for getting creative with Superman's powerset under Kryptonite chemotherapy but ultimately it's too little too late. This story has overstayed its welcome by months, taken up the Superman comics' individuality in constant crossovers and has drained the little excitement and enjoyment left in Superman comics. Even the return of his real solar based powers next month isn't enough to fix the problems suffered by the character anymore because who knows what's in store once DC Rebirth is in effect.

Slayz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This whole storyline is just terrible.

You'd think Superman's first conclusion after losing his powers would be, "Hey maybe I can't absorb sunlight anymore."

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@slayz said:

This whole storyline is just terrible.

You'd think Superman's first conclusion after losing his powers would be, "Hey maybe I can't absorb sunlight anymore."

No, tying the loss of your power to the possible inability to access the source of your powers is a task to much for all but the most knowledgeable and smartest super geniuses.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

Savage dawn seems like an OK read, I didn't read most of truth apart for the SM/WW stuff. Would you recommend this ?

Savage Dawn hasn't been everything it was supposed to be. Specially the parts in the hands of Tomasi and Yang. At this point only Pak can be said to have done a good job considering what he has to work with.

@jv said:

Maybe with this Rebirth thing happening, there won't be a huge back story to explain how he gets his secret identity back in place.

I wouldn't put too much faith in Rebirth. People may get a really bad surprise.

Also they have already hinted on who is gonna fix Superman secret ID problem. Mr Mxyxptlk! If you read Future's End and have been following up on the entire Truth arc, then the answer to his identity problem as already been answered.

Also if it was a reboot I'd buy into it, but seeing it's not. I'd wouldn't put all my money on Rebirth.

I'm pretty sure Martian Manhunter or some other powerful telepath will use their telepathy to mind wipe everyone on earth of Superman's true identity.

Answered this above. Read and you'll know who's gonna fix is ID.

I honestly believe that after Truth ends, Superman will no longer be vulnerable to kryptonite. I think a new metamorphosis in powers and abilities are coming to Superman. This is exciting!

Not happening. They'd more easily get rid of his vulnerability to red sunlight and magic than kryptonite.

What might happen is that this period in which he's being powered by kryptonite might either decress is level of vulnerability to the K stuff, or it will strengthen is DNA, creating a sort of power evolution, where certain aspects will be added to his regular abilities, and also fix the super-flare problem. Making it not only not leave him vulnerable for 24h and maybe also adding new ways for Supes to use his flare power, like being able to create shields or even weapons from his energy. Instead of just realeasing it like a bomb, make it more maleable, with more uses.

One good idea would be to show that Superman was able to create a energy bubble aura around his head like Rao, that would interfere with psychic attacks.

OK.................. So he's Ultraman now?

Not by a long shot. Ultraman needed to eat of sniff kryptonite. He was basically a junky without it. Even sunlight weakned him a lot. Clark was there in daylight doing his thing without any power loss.

If his healthy cells were allowed to get all mutated then yes, I believe we'd see a fully powered Superman but no longer powered by the sun, but by kryptonite. Which would be a interesting twist mind you.

It would be Superman with a whole new set of powers, and a new power source.

@blueecho said:

The problem with Superman is that his overpowered abilities lend to fewer intriguing storylines. There have been a few out there, and it is too bad that this story line didn't try to emulate those, instead going for the lowest hanging fruit of depowering him.

The problem were the writers not the character. What you said was valied during the Silver Age. But ever since Modern Age he hasn't been overpowered.

If you talk about overpowered characters. Lets talk first about Martian Manhunter and Captain Atom. Then we'll talk about Superman.

@roaris87 said:

Maybe it'll be like when Supes turned blue and had all those electro-magnetic powers. That was fun. Thinking back, I actually have no idea what caused that change.

What caused the change was one of his trips to the then bottled city of Kandor. Superman used a dimensional doorway to go from his fortress to the bottled city. Unknown to Superman his constant trips to Kandor started to leave residual energy on his body that caused a mutation on his DNA, leading him to change his powers from solar based to energy based.

This is interesting. Superman has been going though a series of power changes lately. First the fires of Apokolips and now Kryptonite powered abilities.

Just comes to show that Superman can be developed way beyond his current state. He only needs good writers to do the job accurately.

@reactor said:

I don't Superman's become Ultraman in that he needs Kryptonite to power up. I think the Kryptonite's merely mutated his biology to alter his power set. If there's anything H'El has proven, it's that Kryptonians are a swiss army knife of abilities depending on the kind of radiation they absorb.

Exactly! H'El was maybe one of the New 52 greatest achievements in the point that it purposed the simple but accurate idea that Superman is living far from real potential.

What made H'El so much more powerful was the simple fact that he had been exposed to basically every form of stellar energy. Even that of neutron stars and quasars. So much so, that not only he had more powers and was more powerful than any other kryptonian, but he also didn't suffered the same vulnerabilities. Red sunlight didn't made him lose any power. Kryptonite was only effective on touch and even being pierced by a piece of it, that would've killed anyother kryptonian, for H'El it was only a minor setback.

Even Lex has shown Superman could easily increase his powers if he so wanted to. In Unchained when he created that solar fueled that it would overload Superman cells and turn him into a bomb. Well... Superman could've created a less extreme version of it. One that would gradually make him more powerful or at least less vulnerable to what he's already too much vulnerable to.

@br_havoc said:

So he got his powers back by using the poison that can kill him, Seems to make a lot of sense -_-.

Yes. Because the top layer of is body cells mutated for whatever reason, preventing the buttom layer cells of his body that are healthy from getting the solar energy they need to operate his normal powers.

It's not like he simply chose to switch power source.

In fact his all point of being exposed to kryptonite was to kill off his mutated cells and let his healthy cells replace them. But his mutated cells are proving to be more though than he thought and they somehow adapted to the kryptonite radiation. And are using it. Which is good and bad. Good because he's finally no longer depowered, and bad because the longer he doesn't get rid of the kryptonite energy on his mutated cells, the more likely his healthy cells are the one's gonna be destroyed.

And if we hadn't already been confirmed that in March he's gonna return to his regular powerset, his powers completely changing wouldn't be so hard to believe. But as it is, everyone knows this kryptonite power phase is only temporary.

He is using kryptonite to burn off the mutated layer of cells that is blocking his body from absorbing solar energy.when it's done doing that he will need to get rid of the kryptonite in his body so it doesn't kill him,but he will be free to absorb solar energy again,and get his old powers.

Yeah. That's pretty much what I also figure will happen.

Once he drains the energy he absorbed from all that kryptonite, his body will be left ready to get back to normal.

Sure it doesn't make much sense. But seeing that his cells mutating also doesn't make any sense at all. Specially without any good explanation, I guess we'll just have to roll with it.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well, they should just go for it and have him not need the sun anymore and instead just absorb energy from any source...

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@br_havoc: Yeah, it's so stupid, it's almost like he is a cancer patient having to poison himself with radiation to kill unhealthy cancer cells(oh wait)...Derp.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@lukehero: Ah so its a cancer metaphor with none of the emotional or physical impact on the story. My apologies for not stopping to think about that when a foolish story line of Clark loosing his powers has an equally foolish way for him to regain them.

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For rebirth let's have superman become more than he has ever been.this just proves he shouldn't be locked into one basic never changing powerset.he is the ultimate energy conductor,able to do pretty much anything with it.

BTW his kryptonite powerset reminds me of what superboys TTK powerset should look like.

SlymPeter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Posted by Aros001 - 2 days ago

Peter Parker returns when Amazing Spider-Man 2 comes out.

Steve Rogers is made into a Super Soldier again just in time for Captain America 3.

Honestly I should have seen this coming with Dawn of Justice coming out next month.

Not that I'm complaining.

But me, yes, I'm totally disillusionned by all these "scenarists" who use the same way on comics than those in the movies. Are we all readers and / or spectators that they think they have to create identical worlds ?

Sad, sad, and, oh, yes, SAD !

:-(

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For rebirth let's have superman become more than he has ever been.this just proves he shouldn't be locked into one basic never changing powerset.he is the ultimate energy conductor,able to do pretty much anything with it.

BTW his kryptonite powerset reminds me of what superboys TTK powerset should look like.

Funny, I thought there was something to Superman's new powerset...

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@diehard200904: what do you mean?

It's showing how versatile his powers can be,and it's a means to a end to get his powers back.

He has shown

Strength

Speed

Flight

Durability

A kinetic explosion on contact,which just so happened to destroy a robotic form.

"Feel" energy

Sounds like Kesel superboy with new 52 superboys tactile senses

JV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@heavenlydarkdragon: Thanks, I have read the whole Truth arc, however have not read the Futures End. Ok, I can go with that explanation of Mxyxptlk

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is already incredibly powerful and doesn't need more powers or different powers for any length of time. It's like those old stories when he could pull any power out of his butt whenever it was convenient. No thanks. Batman's utility belt is quite enough.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jv said:@heavenlydarkdragon: Thanks, I have read the whole Truth arc, however have not read the Futures End. Ok, I can go with that explanation of Mxyxptlk

What happened in Future's End was that during that arc, a self-exiled Superman. A Superman that had not only lost all faith in humanity and even his friends, but that also dropped his role as being Superman even the Clark Kent name. Had a encounter with the sand Superman we see in Truth.

And Kal hints on it being a side effect, of his last battle with Mr Mxyzptlk. And seeing DC as pulled the sand Superman again. We can assume that somewhere along the line, to regain his secret ID, Supes will most likely either search for Mr Mxyzptlk help or Mr Mxyzptlk will simply appear and offer to solve Superman secret ID problem, but with certain terms or rules.

Honestly Mr Mxyzptlk may not be the most reliable ally, but he does pack the power to if he wanted, make everyone forget Clark Kent and Superman are the same person. Even his friends and allies.

@kiba said:Superman is already incredibly powerful and doesn't need more powers or different powers for any length of time. It's like those old stories when he could pull any power out of his butt whenever it was convenient. No thanks. Batman's utility belt is quite enough.

He's not that powerful actually. Not with so many vulnerabilities.

A few new additions would work wonders for the not most powerful being on Earth.

Even if they only improved the Flare power to actually do much more than just leave him depowered. That alone might work. If done correctly of course.

Also his kryptonite fueled powers actually make sense to be slightly different than his solar powered ones. Different source of power, different powers.

DieHard200904

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@diehard200904: what do you mean?

It's showing how versatile his powers can be,and it's a means to a end to get his powers back.

He has shown

Strength

Speed

Flight

Durability

A kinetic explosion on contact,which just so happened to destroy a robotic form.

"Feel" energy

Sounds like Kesel superboy with new 52 superboys tactile senses

I just meant that the new powerset is similar to Pre-Flashpoint Superboy. Tactile TK, or at least that version of Superboy had that ability where he could dismantle a machine or an assembled object by touching it for a while.

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
    termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By termiteone4ever

I find this interesting :)

He is able to absorb energies and use them giving him new powers :)

This is not looking good :) for battle threads :)

stephens2177

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@diehard200904: exactly,as soon as I saw that I thought of the Kesel 90'superboy version,but don't forget his new ability to "feel" energy is what new 52 superboy can do.

Course the 90's SB could actually control things by touching them,and the new 52 kon can scan anything instantly by touching things,so close,closer than any other I have ever seen.

BlueEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 13

@blueecho said:

The problem with Superman is that his overpowered abilities lend to fewer intriguing storylines. There have been a few out there, and it is too bad that this story line didn't try to emulate those, instead going for the lowest hanging fruit of depowering him.

The problem were the writers not the character. What you said was valied during the Silver Age. But ever since Modern Age he hasn't been overpowered.

If you talk about overpowered characters. Lets talk first about Martian Manhunter and Captain Atom. Then we'll talk about Superman.

Sure those are overpowered characters, but they don't have the same exposure as Superman does. How many months since creation has the Martian Manhunter or Captain Atom been able to hold down their only monthly title? Maybe 40 months total for either one of them? Superman on the other hand has as many years holding down numerous monthly titles at the same time. It is not really comparable in terms of story telling. You are right in part that the stories are better since the end of the Silver Age, but that is also true of 99% of characters.

It is similar to Maslow's Hammer (when your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail) and in a sense is not as fair to Superman, because with such an amount of superpowers why not just use them? Indeed a lot of stories from the Silver Age were told to make the character interesting by removing his powers or changing them in some way as this was one of the few switches that could be made. The same was true with a lot of powerful characters though, and even helps to explain some characters like Thor or the Hulk, who owed some of their initial popularity due to the fact that a side of them was mortal, despite being very powerful in hero mode. This whole arc was just such an attempt, but there is something iconic about Superman that makes him have the powers that he does. They have done it before too, as with the Red and Blue Superman, but they probably should have known better that it wouldn't last.

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not the real deal! Don't care!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.