Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

The reason a good superman movie can't be made

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Kute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Is because Superman is a terrible, uninteresting character, with a terrible villain-gallery

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Scathing

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A good one has already been made, its called Man Of Steel.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Squalleon
    birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The original superman movies ? , your obviously a marvel troll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for joey_destroyer_of_worlds
    Joey_Destroyer_of_Worlds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dear god. The reasoning is impeccable.

Kute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Am I wrong? He's an unrelatable mary-sue with a boring backstory. It's cool that he wants to protect an ant-hill, and that every comic one of the ants finds some kryptonite, but man, is it boring.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is a boring whiter-than-white goodie-two-shoes though, he needs a proper update. No one's gonna be taken with this sort of forced pavlovian heroism anymore where Superman will promptly give his life to save a puppy without a thought given to his own safety. It's predictable and no one can relate to that. Show us what he sacrifices, what he's not willing to sacrifice, the unpleasant consequences of his choices and how he grapples with them, that like everyone else, he's got the instinct of self-preservation. I crave stories about the trials and tribulations that being a hero entails, I really do.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kute said:

Am I wrong? He's an unrelatable mary-sue with a boring backstory. It's cool that he wants to protect an ant-hill, and that every comic one of the ants finds some kryptonite, but man, is it boring.

your kinda just trolling

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn! In all my ComicVine years, never have I beheld an OP's words constructed of such majesty and impeccable intellectualism! Cheers, good sir! Cheers!

Kute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@birdman

Are you sure i am? What do people get out of superman? Hes really strong. Neato. Thatll hold my attention for another century. I feel like i could write superman, and noone would be able to tell the difference

Avatar image for deactivated-64b01667a4f83
    deactivated-64b01667a4f83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde said:

Superman is a boring whiter-than-white goodie-two-shoes though, he needs a proper update. No one's gonna be taken with this sort of forced pavlovian heroism anymore where Superman will promptly give his life to save a puppy without a thought given to his own safety. It's predictable and no one can relate to that. Show us what he sacrifices, what he's not willing to sacrifice, the unpleasant consequences of his choices and how he grapples with them, that like everyone else, he's got the instinct of self-preservation. I crave stories about the trials and tribulations that being a hero entails, I really do.

“Proper update” is meaningless buzz.

There are no “unpleasant consequences” of being super. That’s not the point of being Superman. The point of being Superman is so that everything is now wonderful and fantastic and fun, and you don’t have to deal with the frustrations of the common man. He can dive in and save that puppy from the rampaging hordes of Tartarus, or Simba from the antelope, without getting himself killed. He's that good. You get to be a hero - and there's nothing greater than that.

He may face trials and tribulations, but they will never get the better of him.

The stories are about him overcoming the obstacles, not being compromised by them. He may experience heroic frustrations, like Luthor refusing to turn to good, or the endless crime, or overwhelming odds, or the lack of love-life because of his superhero career (in a sense he still has "real" relateable frustrations/drama), but not the over-wrought tortured "dark and gritty" kind that spiritually breaks him, such as Batman stories might feature. If you just meant the former, then sure.

Clark Kent is the one who has to deal with those Ordinary Man frustrations, because he's our vehicle into the fantasy. That's where the frustration and catharsis come from.

Otherwise - if your life is absurdly sheltered, and realistic unpleasant consequences and sacrifice are “fantasy” for you, then go read those stories where they already exist, instead of trying to make Superman fit a mould he wasn’t made for and doesn’t work in, and defeats the purpose of him.

The Mask, Freakazoid, etc, they were all entertaining, right? What did they sacrifice? Honestly, did you never watch cartoons as a kid? The only reason he's not working so well now, is because DC is being influenced by the exact rubbish you seem to be spouting.

However, I will firmly agree he often lacks personality (chiefly agency). But that's more the editorial/director/writer's fear of marring him. It's an imposed problem, not a traditional one (and it looks like when they try to redress it, they can over-compensate just a tad).

Omega_kai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the Man of Steel was good.

birdman400

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kute said:

@birdman

Are you sure i am? What do people get out of superman? Hes really strong. Neato. Thatll hold my attention for another century. I feel like i could write superman, and noone would be able to tell the difference

you kinda are , people like you just troll for attention

kfabz-23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel

Brainiac

Darkseid

Doomsday

Zod

Mongul

And Lex F**ki*g Luthor

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow just wo, I mean have trolls telly become so cliche that they can't even think of a new way to troll ? I not angry at this thread I'm just disappointed in you.

Ramior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ramior

Kunte you don't no nothing aboot Superman.

Read a comcs before juge, and don't forget the golden rule, they have no bad character, just terrible writter.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jogga

@squalleon said:
    @theincrediblesuperhulk8642 said:
    @squalleon said:

Scathing

Scolding

Even acidic I would say. The OP clearly has a well put together argument few debaters could ever break.

It's incredibly clear that the OP put some real thought into this. I mean, he addresses every single thing with impressive detail and originality.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga: The way he crafted this piece of literature is mind boggling to us simple peasants.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22 dernman  Online

@brunnhilde said:

There are no “unpleasant consequences” of being super. That’s not the point of being Superman. The point of being Superman is so that everything is now wonderful and fantastic and fun, and you don’t have to deal with the frustrations of the common man. He can save that puppy, and not be in danger. You get to be a hero - and there's nothing greater than that.

The stories are about him overcoming the obstacles, not being compromised by them. He may experience heroic frustrations, like Luthor refusing to turn to good, or the endless crime, or the lack of love-life because of his superhero career (in a sense he still has "real" relateable frustrations/drama), but not the over-wrought tortured "dark and gritty" kind that spiritually breaks him, such as Batman stories might feature. If you just meant the former, then sure.

Clark Kent is the one who has to deal with those Ordinary Man frustrations, because he's our vehicle into the fantasy. That's where the frustration and catharsis come from.

Otherwise - if your life is absurdly sheltered, and realistic unpleasant consequences and sacrifice are “fantasy” for you, then go read those stories where they already exist, instead of trying to make Superman fit a mould he wasn’t made for and doesn’t work in, and defeats the purpose of him.

Honestly, did you never watch cartoons as a kid? The only reason he's not working so well now, is because DC is being influenced by the exact rubbish you seem to be spouting.

Oh Supermudz how are you not dying from the irony of brun's post I don't know.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
    deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

this opinion is wrong and bad.

Avatar image for darkdetective27
    darkdetective27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

User Lists: 10

Or maybe they just give him to people who dont know what to do with him.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

whatevs bro. i prefer all-star superman to any batman comic ever written. superman 1 and 2 were great, critical and commercial successes, so how does your trolling even make sense.

Avatar image for avatar_of_green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Completely unnecessary topic, even if true.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel was certainly not perfect but I thought overall it was a good movie and a good effort.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

-420/10

"Troll of the year" - IGN

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Okay so I put a bunch of gifs to show my distaste for this frankly stupid thread but seriously. People are complaining that Superman is too GOOD? What the actual fudge is wrong with people? So because Superman is naturally good he's a bad character. On what earth does that make sense. Let me put that into realistic terms since that's what Superman has to be now. Superman was honored at World Suicide Prevention day. Does anyone know how amazing that is? A fictional character actually made a impact on someone's life in real life. That single page from All Star Superman stopped someone from ending their life. That is something no other hero has except for Superman. You know why? Because he's good. He's a nice person and maybe just maybe if he existed we wouldn't take that for granted. But no, we have morons who say "Nuh uh Superman is stupid, he's too nice, who saves people with a smile on their face, he's not realistic lulz!" That is so stupid that literally borders on insanity. If that's the only reason Superman can't have a good film then this world is well and truly fudged.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are no “unpleasant consequences” of being super. That’s not the point of being Superman. The point of being Superman is so that everything is now wonderful and fantastic and fun, and you don’t have to deal with the frustrations of the common man. He can dive in and save that puppy from the rampaging hordes of Tartarus, or Simba from the antelope, without getting himself killed. He's that good. You get to be a hero - and there's nothing greater than that.

He may face trials and tribulations, but they will never get the better of him.

The stories are about him overcoming the obstacles, not being compromised by them. He may experience heroic frustrations, like Luthor refusing to turn to good, or the endless crime, or overwhelming odds, or the lack of love-life because of his superhero career (in a sense he still has "real" relateable frustrations/drama), but not the over-wrought tortured "dark and gritty" kind that spiritually breaks him, such as Batman stories might feature. If you just meant the former, then sure.

The Mask, Freakazoid, etc, they were all entertaining, right? What did they sacrifice? Honestly, did you never watch cartoons as a kid? The only reason he's not working so well now, is because DC is being influenced by the exact rubbish you seem to be spouting.

However, I will firmly agree he often lacks personality (chiefly agency). But that's more the editorial/director/writer's fear of marring him. It's an imposed problem, not a traditional one (and it looks like when they try to redress it, they can over-compensate just a tad).

I don't know what to make of this, it sounds you're berating me for something horribly wrong I must've written but you're also sort of not disagreeing with me.

Meaningless buzz is this confused spiel Supermudz, in the words of Mies Van der Rohe - Less is more

Avatar image for deactivated-64b01667a4f83
    deactivated-64b01667a4f83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde:

I don't know what to make of this, it sounds you're berating me for something horribly wrong I must've written but you're also sort of not disagreeing with me.

It's possible. Doesn't hurt either way. Maybe I'm being unfair to you, though. But yes that's how 'agree' and 'ifs' works.

Meaningless buzz is this confused spiel Supermudz, in the words of Mies Van der Rohe - Less is more

More is also more. Confusing is on me, though - so, my bad.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because he's boring.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Such flawless reasoning and stellar logic behind OP; my world will never be the same … not

Try harder next time.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

G-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kute said:

Is because Superman is a terrible, uninteresting character, with a terrible villain-gallery

There is some truth to that. Now if they made a movie with the powerset and story of the current Superman. That movie would be compelling to watch.

In order to have a good movie, there has be a good character as well.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Loading Video...

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By UltimateSMfan

How has this post gotten so many responses? Crap i just added to them...

Btw @soldierofel really good post. I wasn't aware about the world suicide day fact and looked up a post you made a year ago. I read the article and i'm actually wiping tears off my face.

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimatesmfan: Because Superman's fans are thin skinned ? You're only second to the WW's fanbase in that regard, and that's only because WW's fanbase overlaps with feminist groups, who're some of the most sensitive people out there. So yeah the Superman forum is kind of easy to troll.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@enzo991:

@ultimatesmfan: Because Superman's fans are thin skinned ?

Dumb.

You're only second to the WW's fanbase in that regard, and that's only because WW's fanbase overlaps with feminist groups,

dumb

who're some of the most sensitive people out there. So yeah the Superman forum is kind of easy to troll.

So stupid it´s priceless.

Enzo991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: Wow you truly showed me the error of my ways.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
    HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#42  Edited By HandOfPrometheus

@kute said:

I'm tired of this "unrelatable" trend with comics. Seriously its a damn fictional characters who can fly they don't need to be relatable thats just a piss poor excuse to justify a character. Sorry if your life has been crap but not everyone has to relate to a character to like them for inspiration or hope.

WF_Mxyzptlk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why is Superman seen as overpowered and thus unrelatable for so many?

Yet someone like Wally West gets much less flak, despite being orders of magnitude more powerful.

Kute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kute said:

I'm tired of this "unrelatable" trend with comics. Seriously its a damn fictional characters who can fly they don't need to be relatable thats just a piss poor excuse to justify a character. Sorry if your life has been crap but not everyone has to relate to a character to like them for inspiration or hope.

so if i'm to try and guess what it is you're trying to mumble out... poor writing is ok, as long as the bland character is Super-Strong and can fly? you know he isn't real? he doesn't exist, so his feats of his strength are irrelevant? he's a literary character. So let's judge him as such?

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yet someone like Wally West gets much less flak, despite being orders of magnitude more powerful.

Because Superman has bigger abs, I guess.... I dunno...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ultimatesmfan: Thanks, I'm just getting sick and tired of the 'too good' criticism. So I responded with something real.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@jogga said:
    @mrmxyzptlk said:

Because Superman has bigger abs, I guess.... I dunno...

I guess due to Superman often being compared to other flying brick type characters and others such as Batman. (for reasons I cannot fathom) where as Wally is never really compared to anyone not a fellow speedster despite having the ability to defeat most other characters with ease.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soldierofel: Think you might like this. This is why these 2 are arguably the greatest comic book characters of all time.

No Caption Provided

MPfly88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman is the greatest Superhero of all time. Everyone knows this, even people who hate his character, deep down they know it to be true. Whether or not he's the best written is totally subjective, but he is the archtypical Superhero, and people love him for it.

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Or maybe some people just don't know how his character works...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.