Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

The newest fad in Superman comics

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

As pointed out a while ago, the hottest trend was Evil Superman. Now we have a new trend which is the Good Guy-Bad Guy-Reformed Good Guy trend. It started with Wraith, now it looks like Ulysses is one, and judging by how Wonderstar reacted he's gonna be one too. Is it just me or has anyone else noticed it?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Nah, like evil Superman that cliche exist for a long, long time.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SaintWildcard

@squalleon said:

That's not what I meant. I know both are cliches (and to be honest what happening in a Big 2 big isn't a cliche?) but it's that it's happening too much at once.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon said:

That's not what I meant. I know both are cliches (and to be honest what happening in a Big 2 big isn't a cliche?) but it's that it's happening too much at once.

Nah, DC and Marvel surprices us sometimes by creating something worthwhile for a change, but most of those are from B or C-listers titles that are tackled without heavy DC editorial influence, for example, Animal Man, Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing etc.

Anyway I really don't think it is a new fad but mostly a coincidence. At least I hope so.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Ulysses is deep down more interesting...at least for me. Imagine if you have adopted parents, you have to choose whether you want to follow your adopted parents who take care of you since you were child or your real biological parents

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Ulysses isn't bad, he's misguided. As far as Wonderstar, he's not a good guy.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SaintWildcard

@superguy1591 said:

Ulysses isn't bad, he's misguided. As far as Wonderstar, he's not a good guy.

Same can be said for Wonderstar techniquely , he was been sincere when Wonder Woman had him tied with her rope

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: nah, she said he wasn't hiding anything and he wasn't. The helmet brought his memory back.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Wraith wasn't a reformed good guy though?

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SaintWildcard

@muyjingo said:

Wraith wasn't a reformed good guy though?

He took the bullet for Superman and stopped his own people from taking over.

@superguy1591 said:

@saint_wildcard: nah, she said he wasn't hiding anything and he wasn't. The helmet brought his memory back.

Point taken, but I stand on Ulysses. He pretended to save the day with Superman and his plan is an evil one that Superman has to stop which he had fully planned on doing. No if ands or buts. But you got me thinking that Magog might not be Good-Bad-Good guy. It seems like his memory getting wiped was a plan so that WW couldn't read him. If that's the case I'm going to miss Wonderstar T-T

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither of those two things are fads.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Neither of those two things are fads.

Υοu can't deny the "Evil Superman" concept was overused the last three-four years.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both Ulysses, Wraith and Wonderstar were a given that they would turn evil.

Wraith was such a bipolar character that even in the end I wasn't sure why he did what he did. It's anyone's guess.

Ulysses the very moment he told his parents to not go to the ship, he basicaly showed his cards. From that very moment it was certain that everything that he said since the beginning was lies and half-truths. Not only that, but the very fact that we were told that Superman was gonna go through a few changes at the end of the arc, it was almost clear has water that something was gonna happen, something serious. Add to that the fact the both Ulysses and Superman were always being watched by that male figure and the clues he gave, all lead to me believing that Ulysses was gonna turn on Superman.

Wonderstar is Magog. I suspected that from the moment I saw the cover of the issue showing Magog. How could they simply go from Wonderstar to Magog in one issue!? Simple. Wonderstar was nothing more than a mask, and has we've seen, it proved to be what really was. The only question in all this is why Circe decided to intervene now and why. And what are Magog origins. In the past he's been a time traveler and the avatar of the god Gog. Now, his origins seem tied to Circe, but most likely they're either allies or she gave him his powers and is using him to reach her goals, which are almost always very simple. Either she hates Wonder Woman and wants to destroy her and everything she loves or like the others that came before her, she fears what their union might bring.

Either way lately Superman has been in a bad luck streak. Almost everyone he meets proves to be trouble. If I were him I'd blast my heat vision to the face of everyone that wants to meet him. Seeing that in 9 of 10 times that person will bring about trouble or turn to be trouble.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not sure about the newest, but one that seems to have died down was the one where writers were trying to bring out the inner angst of Superman.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: comics is nothing if not a series of trends

.... wut? I don't care if other books do the same at the same time, but when the same story happens to the same characters, then we have problem.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I don't think the same will happen with Wonderstar, who is actually Magog. The reason why I am thinking that is because Magog has always been a bad guy and I don't think DC will be changing that anytime soon.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.