The legal battle is over... and the winner is...

• 81 results
#1 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand why the Warner Bros lot wasn't draped in black starting the middle of this week. Because the studio should be mourning the imminent loss of a crapload of Superman dollars.

I've finally got my hands on the entire 72-page ruling Wednesday of U.S. District Court Judge Stephen G. Larson who concluded: "After 70 years, Jerome Siegel’s heirs regain what he granted so long ago — the copyright in the Superman material that was published in Action Comics, Vol. 1. What remains is an apportionment of profits, guided in some measure by the rulings contained in this Order, and a trial on whether to include the profits generated by DC Comics’ corporate sibling’s exploitation of the Superman."

Think about it: Siegel sold the rights to the action hero he created with Joseph Shuster to Detective Comics for $130, and his heirs got back ownership of the character in 1999 and can possibly lay claim to $50+ million of Warner Bros' and/or its DC Comics' cash. The Shusters look to clean up before too long, too. If you want all the Superman lawsuit's juicy background, Portfolio's Amy Wallace did a detailed article here...

http://www.portfolio.com/culture-lifestyle/culture-inc/arts/2007/09/17/Time-Warner-Superman-Suit

For instance, Joanne Siegel (who'd been the sketch model for Lois Lane) wrote a 3-page letter back in 2002 to then Time Warner CEO Dick Parsons calling the company “greedy” and “heartless” and acting “just like the Gestapo... your company wants to strip us naked of our legal rights...  Is that the reputation you want?”

The answer is a resounding yes, because for years Warner tied with Disney for its aggressive unwillingness to settle these kinds of legal disputes and its absurd eagerness to risk going to court. Its corporate counsel would hire litigation piranhas hungry for billable hours who pledge to make each case go away by exhausting the patience and resources of the creators or rightsholders. It's a thoroughly effective but completely disgusting way of doing business.

Yet it's interesting that, especially lately, Warner has lost or settled some very pricey lawsuits, especially those pursued by that Malibu Robin Hood of a litigator, Marc Toberoff, who has taken on Big Media on behalf of creators and their heirs for Superman and Superboy, The Dukes of Hazzard, The Wild Wild West, It's Alive, and so on. The majors both fear him and hate him, with good reason: he's a relentless opportunist, which is exactly what's needed.

Finally, lest any rabid Superman fans blame the Siegels or Shusters for messing up a Superman Returns sequel, or a Justice League of America movie featuring Superman (or not), know this: Warner execs screwed the pooch all by themselves. There's been enough backstory surrounding these pics to fill a book. I say there wouldn't have been if only Superman Returns had been any good...

To put it simply... for those of you who don't like legal jargon...

DC can continue to make comics for like 5 years, but then, unless they pay for the rights to continue using the property in publications, which i'm guessing will be a ungodly fee for all the hassle that the rightowners have been put through the Time Warner corporation, they will no longer be able to use Superman, Lois Lane, the Kents, etc.

so after five years, if Time Warner (DC) don't cough up the cash, they don't get to use Superman and associated characters anymore!

M

#2 Posted by Darkchild (41432 posts) - - Show Bio

lmao if that isnt the best example of Karma i dont know what is

#3 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

wow.............just wow..............

DC will have to pay, I can't imagine them without Superman

#4 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

yup...

if DC don't pony up the cash, they can wave goodbye to Superman and all associated characters... then the bidding war will begin for who actually gets the rights

M

#5 Posted by Darkchild (41432 posts) - - Show Bio

Nighthunter says:

"wow.............just wow..............DC will have to pay, I can't imagine them without Superman"

I can

pictures the massive crowd of Supe-fans attacking the world and holding it for ransom

#6 Posted by Vance Astro (91404 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"yup... if DC don't pony up the cash, they can wave goodbye to Superman and all associated characters... then the bidding war will begin for who actually gets the rights M"

How much do they have to pay for the rights?

#7 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"yup...if DC don't pony up the cash, they can wave goodbye to Superman and all associated characters... then the bidding war will begin for who actually gets the rightsM"

or they could send didio to marry a girl of that family......

making everyone happy....except the girl that is :P

#8 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Vance Astro says:

"How much do they have to pay for the rights?"

undetermined...

it would be upto the current rightsholders, which is now Seigel and Schusters primary descendants, to actually work out a licensing figure for Superman.

but then remember, it isn't just Superman, it's all associated characters...

Superboy, Superman Prime, Supergirl, Lois Lane, Lana Lang, Perry White, Steel... the list just goes on and on...

the Trademark "S" as well...

M

#9 Posted by Darkchild (41432 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"Vance Astro says:

undetermined...

it would be upto the current rightsholders, which is now Seigel and Schusters primary descendants, to actually work out a licensing figure for Superman.

Superboy, Superman Prime, Supergirl, Lois Lane, Lana Lang, Perry White, Steel... the list just goes on and on...

M

"

i do believe your original statement of "ungodly amount of money" is really the only answer

#10 Posted by Vance Astro (91404 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"Vance Astro says:
undetermined... it would be upto the current rightsholders, which is now Seigel and Schusters primary descendants, to actually work out a licensing figure for Superman. but then remember, it isn't just Superman, it's all associated characters... Superboy, Superman Prime, Supergirl, Lois Lane, Lana Lang, Perry White, Steel... the list just goes on and on... the Trademark "S" as well... M "

You think it would be enough that DC couldn't afford it? I would hope not.They would almost have nothing.

#11 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Vance Astro says:

"You think it would be enough that DC couldn't afford it? I would hope not.They would almost have nothing."

I don't know...

i really don't...

all i know is that in 2013, the face of comics is going to change forever when the bidding war starts...

can you imagine if Marvel picked up the rights for Superman and associated characters?

M

#12 Posted by Buckshot (18678 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"can you imagine if Marvel picked up the rights for Superman and associated characters?M"

Regardless of what happens to DC if Superman disappears (maybe they'll say all the Kryptonians got sucked into the Bleed...####ers), I don't think he can just be dropped into another established universe. Ignoring foolishness like power levels, what would they do with all the history? Say if Marvel got him, would they just say none of the DC stuff happened? They couldn't replicate it in Marvel. Would they start over with him or act like he just flew in from another dimension? How do you take an established family of characters and just drop them in another universe permanently?

#13 Posted by Darkchild (41432 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"can you imagine if Marvel picked up the rights for Superman and associated characters?M"

part of me would say that would be awesome but then the other says Supes is the DC man nothing else

#14 Posted by Vance Astro (91404 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"Vance Astro says:
"You think it would be enough that DC couldn't afford it? I would hope not.They would almost have nothing."
I don't know... i really don't... all i know is that in 2013, the face of comics is going to change forever when the bidding war starts... can you imagine if Marvel picked up the rights for Superman and associated characters? M"

I couldn't imagine that at all.I would hope Marvel wouldn't go after Supes.

#15 Posted by lady_redhead (9592 posts) - - Show Bio

SOZ i just couldn't resist!!

#16 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

also was thinking.....

could Nightwing and Flamebird names also be afected?

they don't have "Super" in it, but they were originated in the Superman mythos

#17 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm torn on the subject...

while i really hope Superman stays with DC, thats his home, always will be...

i have to actually side with the law suit here, after the way Time Warner have dealt with this battle, i don't believe they should hold the rights to Superman anymore.

M

#18 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

lol it would end beeing ffunny if the guys also decided to demand every company that has a clone (s) of superman.....

Bill Gates beware!! :P

#19 Posted by Darkchild (41432 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"I'm torn on the subject...while i really hope Superman stays with DC, thats his home, always will be...i have to actually side with the law suit here, after the way Time Warner have dealt with this battle, i don't believe they should hold the rights to Superman anymore.M"

would the be a way that he would stay with DC in some form. or would he be placed for the highest bidder, and if that who could possible do the big Blue boy justice

#20 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

No clue Buckshot...

but it's going to get messy, real messy

M

#21 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

couldn't they just change the names?

I mean, when Didio and Johns were asked that the reason behind Superboy's (Connor Kent) death during Infinite Crisis was because of the fight for the name. They replied "No. we could have changed it"

I know Superman is a symbol, as big as Batman or Spider-man and changing his name would be a big deal but..... is better than losing him.

#22 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Nighthunter says:

"also was thinking.....could Nightwing and Flamebird names also be afected?they don't have "Super" in it, but they were originated in the Superman mythos"

That's for the courts to decide...

currently it's just all Superman related Characters / Concepts

M

#23 Posted by Jet jaguar (2346 posts) - - Show Bio

is this kind of like hasbro geting the rights to transformers?i'm kinda confused.

#24 Posted by Vance Astro (91404 posts) - - Show Bio

I would hope that Marvel wouldn't be slimy enough to take a character such as Superman.Any company who knows Supes is out there shouldn't touch him until DC can re-acquire the rights.Superman is DC.Even if he goes to Marvel or wherever else it's possible.He will always be DC's hero to me.

#25 Posted by Methias (437 posts) - - Show Bio

Vance Astro says:

"I would hope that Marvel wouldn't be slimy enough to take a character such as Superman.Any company who knows Supes is out there shouldn't touch him until DC can re-acquire the rights.Superman is DC.Even if he goes to Marvel or wherever else it's possible.He will always be DC's hero to me."

I wish I had tons of money so I could buy superman and let Marvel put him in one comic arc where he just gets killed. Then never let him come back.

#26 Posted by Vance Astro (91404 posts) - - Show Bio

Methias says:

"Vance Astro says:
"I would hope that Marvel wouldn't be slimy enough to take a character such as Superman.Any company who knows Supes is out there shouldn't touch him until DC can re-acquire the rights.Superman is DC.Even if he goes to Marvel or wherever else it's possible.He will always be DC's hero to me."
I wish I had tons of money so I could buy superman and let Marvel put him in one comic arc where he just gets killed. Then never let him come back."

I wish I had the money to buy Supes.I would take the rights and sell it too DC for something reasonable and we could resume as normal.Only catch would be they would have to give me a copy of the first issue of every major Superman arc.

#27 Posted by Bookman (618 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"I don't understand why the Warner Bros lot wasn't draped in black starting the middle of this week. Because the studio should be mourning the imminent loss of a crapload of Superman dollars. I've finally got my hands on the entire 72-page ruling Wednesday of U.S. District Court Judge Stephen G. Larson who concluded: "After 70 years, Jerome Siegel’s heirs regain what he granted so long ago — the copyright in the Superman material that was published in Action Comics, Vol. 1. What remains is an apportionment of profits, guided in some measure by the rulings contained in this Order, and a trial on whether to include the profits generated by DC Comics’ corporate sibling’s exploitation of the Superman." Think about it: Siegel sold the rights to the action hero he created with Joseph Shuster to Detective Comics for $130, and his heirs got back ownership of the character in 1999 and can possibly lay claim to $50+ million of Warner Bros' and/or its DC Comics' cash. The Shusters look to clean up before too long, too. If you want all the Superman lawsuit's juicy background, Portfolio's Amy Wallace did a detailed article here... http://www.portfolio.com/culture-lifestyle/culture-inc/arts/2007/09/17/Time-Warner-Superman-Suit For instance, Joanne Siegel (who'd been the sketch model for Lois Lane) wrote a 3-page letter back in 2002 to then Time Warner CEO Dick Parsons calling the company “greedy” and “heartless” and acting “just like the Gestapo... your company wants to strip us naked of our legal rights...  Is that the reputation you want?” The answer is a resounding yes, because for years Warner tied with Disney for its aggressive unwillingness to settle these kinds of legal disputes and its absurd eagerness to risk going to court. Its corporate counsel would hire litigation piranhas hungry for billable hours who pledge to make each case go away by exhausting the patience and resources of the creators or rightsholders. It's a thoroughly effective but completely disgusting way of doing business. Yet it's interesting that, especially lately, Warner has lost or settled some very pricey lawsuits, especially those pursued by that Malibu Robin Hood of a litigator, Marc Toberoff, who has taken on Big Media on behalf of creators and their heirs for Superman and Superboy, The Dukes of Hazzard, The Wild Wild West, It's Alive, and so on. The majors both fear him and hate him, with good reason: he's a relentless opportunist, which is exactly what's needed. Finally, lest any rabid Superman fans blame the Siegels or Shusters for messing up a Superman Returns sequel, or a Justice League of America movie featuring Superman (or not), know this: Warner execs screwed the pooch all by themselves. There's been enough backstory surrounding these pics to fill a book. I say there wouldn't have been if only Superman Returns had been any good... To put it simply... for those of you who don't like legal jargon... DC can continue to make comics for like 5 years, but then, unless they pay for the rights to continue using the property in publications, which i'm guessing will be a ungodly fee for all the hassle that the rightowners have been put through the Time Warner corporation, they will no longer be able to use Superman, Lois Lane, the Kents, etc. so after five years, if Time Warner (DC) don't cough up the cash, they don't get to use Superman and associated characters anymore! M"

DC goes bankrupt, causing Marvel to reign supreme, but without compiettion, they're comics lose quaility. More people buy Image and Dark Horse. Relaizing they're losing them, they put out only good comics, and recon One More Day/Brand New Day. Thus starting a new golden age! No, I don't hate DC, but that's what I'll think would happen. {Still, it would stink to See Batman and Joker go}

#28 Posted by Shaper (5168 posts) - - Show Bio

Little lost. Why do they have to pay for superman?

#29 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

Right... Clearing this up for everyone who is confused by all the legal crap...

In 1976, the US Congress amended the copyright law to allow the creators of works-for-hire to reclaim their rights under very strict conditions. Chief among these requirements is that the registered copyright in question – in this case, Superman – be due for renewal. The rights to the Superman character as embodied in “Action Comics” #1 were due for renewal in the 1970s.

“The parties appeared to have agreed to allow DC to continue as the exclusive owner of the rights at that time,” McFeely said. “But copyright law changed again in 1997, when Sonny Bono, then a Congressman, pushed through an amendment to the Copyright Act changing the conditions under which the heirs and estates of the original creators could attempt again to recapture their original rights.”

Changes in copyright law and the duration of rights were such that the original copyright transfer between Siegel & Shuster and Detective Comics was terminated in 1999. As such, the Siegel family’s contention was that under the updated US Copyright Act, they had the right to recapture US rights to the character depicted in “Action Comics” #1. In the recent federal decision, “The court unequivocally found that the Siegels have that right and in fact now have recaptured the rights to Superman as set forth in ‘Action Comics’ #1."

To put it as plainly as possible: the Siegels and DC are now joint owners of the Superman copyright.

The Siegels are now FULL owners of the original Superman character concept and all intellectual properly within. They have Superman, Clark Kent, Ma and Pa Kent, Krypton, Lois Lane, and all that jazz... as for the Superboy lawsuit, it is a separate suit and it still hasn't been fully resolved, as far as I've heard... this Superman suit was really a spin-off from the Superboy suit, and thus the Superboy one hasn't been completely resolved, though I would expect a similar outcome.

Basically... the long and short of it is that Time Warner is going to end up forking over a bucket load of cash. The major fallout of this is pretty unpredictable, save for the fact that it may cause another Superman film to be none existent for awhile (which given the hands its currently in, may not be a bad thing).

Does that help clear everything up?

M

#30 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

it's a really big thing, but after reading up on all the crap that Time Warner actually put the Siegels through, i'm siding with the Siegels on this one...

they obviously had all the rights to it, and Time Warner was just trying to tie up the legal battle with expensive lawyers indefinitely, well it didn't work, and now Time Warner are actually going to have to pay for all the crap they put the Siegels through.

M

#31 Posted by Shaper (5168 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, thanks.

#32 Posted by Bookman (618 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"Right... Clearing this up for everyone who is confused by all the legal crap... In 1976, the US Congress amended the copyright law to allow the creators of works-for-hire to reclaim their rights under very strict conditions. Chief among these requirements is that the registered copyright in question – in this case, Superman – be due for renewal. The rights to the Superman character as embodied in “Action Comics” #1 were due for renewal in the 1970s. “The parties appeared to have agreed to allow DC to continue as the exclusive owner of the rights at that time,” McFeely said. “But copyright law changed again in 1997, when Sonny Bono, then a Congressman, pushed through an amendment to the Copyright Act changing the conditions under which the heirs and estates of the original creators could attempt again to recapture their original rights.” Changes in copyright law and the duration of rights were such that the original copyright transfer between Siegel & Shuster and Detective Comics was terminated in 1999. As such, the Siegel family’s contention was that under the updated US Copyright Act, they had the right to recapture US rights to the character depicted in “Action Comics” #1. In the recent federal decision, “The court unequivocally found that the Siegels have that right and in fact now have recaptured the rights to Superman as set forth in ‘Action Comics’ #1." To put it as plainly as possible: the Siegels and DC are now joint owners of the Superman copyright. The Siegels are now **FULL** owners of the original Superman character concept and all intellectual properly within. They have Superman, Clark Kent, Ma and Pa Kent, Krypton, Lois Lane, and all that jazz... as for the Superboy lawsuit, it is a separate suit and it still hasn't been fully resolved, as far as I've heard... this Superman suit was really a spin-off from the Superboy suit, and thus the Superboy one hasn't been completely resolved, though I would expect a similar outcome. Basically... the long and short of it is that Time Warner is going to end up forking over a bucket load of cash. The major fallout of this is pretty unpredictable, save for the fact that it may cause another Superman film to be none existent for awhile (which given the hands its currently in, may not be a bad thing). Does that help clear everything up? M"

Oh. Okay.

#33 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

When we last left of the dispute over the copyrights to Superman and Superboy, the judge had ordered the Siegels, DC and Time Warner to engage in settlement negotiations. Originally the mediation was to last 60 days, but scheduling conflicts pushed the deadline for the parties’ joint progress report back to the end of June.

As Newsarama readers have , DC Comics Executive Editor Dan DiDio this weekend at Wizard World Chicago that has led some to wonder whether the Superboy lawsuit has been settled. Here’s the scoop from the “DCU Crisis” panel:

DiDio also paused to point out the special nature of Legion of Three Worlds. “We’ve got Geoff, we’ve got George, we’ve got SuperBOY Prime (yes, we can say that again).”

This could reasonably be taken as a sign that the Superboy lawsuit is over — after all, it was the Siegel family’s initially successful (but later vacated) attempt to reclaim the character that apparently led DC to take the name off the market.

However, DiDio’s reference to Superboy is not the only piece of evidence to emerge this weekend. On Friday, the Siegels and Time Warner filed in the Superboy and Superman lawsuits. states that the parties have not reached a settlement, despite four mediation sessions attended by their lawyers and DC President and Publisher Paul Levitz.

But that does not mean that the situation is hopeless. The concludes by noting that after the mediator returns from vacation, “he would be contacting the parties … to potentially continue settlement discussions.”

In light of this report, DiDio’s reference to Superboy becomes even more interesting. It could be a sign that the parties, despite not reaching a complete settlement in time for the required report, have at least reached a shared decision regarding Superboy and are optimistic that the resolution of the remaining issues is in sight, if not already accomplished.

Still, for one party to reveal an agreement in principle before the settlement is finalized is not standard practice, particularly given the confidentiality agreement that parties often sign before a mediation begins. DiDio’s statement could be a slip — but it also could be a sign of something else.

Although I have not been reporting it here — sometimes details can be more confusing than helpful — the parties have not been silent over the past three months. There have been multiple filings and responses, with each side asserting that the other has no case. By reclaiming Superboy, DC might be sending a message that it does not think the Siegels’ claim to the character is viable, especially in regard to a super-powered villain.

There is also a potential explanation that is less overtly tactical. Based on Judge Larson’s ruling in , DC might have concluded that the worst they’ll end up with is 50 percent of the character as a joint work. Since the main issue is profit allocation, they might have figured that it’s better to share money from successful characters than to kill them off or end their adolescence prematurely. Moreover, in light of to give the Siegels half of the Superman material in Action Comics #1, changing Superboy to Superman arguably does not accomplish all that much — either way DC faces the prospect of having to pay the Siegels something for the work.

Of course, as is often the case in the of settlement negotiations, these aren’t the only possibilities. There could be a reason that only someone privy to inside information is likely to know. What we can say based on the latest court filing is that this crisis isn’t final — yet.

#34 Posted by londonshero (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay. I see where the Segals are coming from and whatnot, but this is just horrible. Psh, it's not like they created him... their grandfather did. It would make me so pissed off if the Segals decided to take advantage of DC and try to take all the money they could. They would not just be tearing DC down but all the people who work their and their families, millions of comic book stores, and millions of readers as well.

I can't stand Superman, I've said it myself several times. But to tell you the truth, I would hate to see him go. I mean, at this point, we're pretty sure he wouldn't go completely, but still. 
Oh, and about the whole Marvel buying out Superman.... that would just be cruel... just cruel. They know that Superman's DC's golden boy and how would they like it if Spiderman's ownership were in question? 
This is a huge mess and I'd like to see it resolved, because even though, as stated before, that I dislike Superman, DC would be missing their chemistry without him, Batman and Superman are like DC's night and day. And it works for them. Leave them be.
#35 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
Methos said:
"

yup...

if DC don't pony up the cash, they can wave goodbye to Superman and all associated characters... then the bidding war will begin for who actually gets the rights

M

"
DC will die without him.
#36 Posted by ahumancartoon (368 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing that grates my cheese is that all the writers and artists that have handle the character for close to 60 years, that worked their buts off is possibly all for nothing. It's fair to say that Superman has a national icon and a symbol of hope to many people. Whats gonna happen to that idealism at the end of all this? Is it gonna die because some creators grand kids want a Aston Martin?!

#37 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio
Methos said:
"

Vance Astro says:

undetermined...

M

"
NOT PRIME NO!
#38 Posted by danhimself (22713 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos said:

"

Nighthunter says:

"also was thinking.....could Nightwing and Flamebird names also be afected?they don't have "Super" in it, but they were originated in the Superman mythos"

M

"

wouldn't it just be the characters that seigal and shuster created anything anybody else did should be fine right?

#39 Posted by King Saturn (225088 posts) - - Show Bio
Wow Thats Simply Amazing...
#40 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio
danhimself said:
"

Methos said:

"

Nighthunter says:

M

"

wouldn't it just be the characters that seigal and shuster created anything anybody else did should be fine right?

"
Not quite. Supergirl, for instance, wasn't created by them (Otto Binder and Curt Swan I think), but she is clearly based on Superman and she wouldn't exist if they hadn't created Superman first, so presumably she would be part of the suit.
#41 Posted by danhimself (22713 posts) - - Show Bio
Cosmic Sentinel said:
"danhimself said:
"

Methos said:

"

Nighthunter says:

M

"

"
Not quite. Supergirl, for instance, wasn't created by them (Otto Binder and Curt Swan I think), but she is clearly based on Superman and she wouldn't exist if they hadn't created Superman first, so presumably she would be part of the suit."

well yeah i get that but for characters like supergirl, superboy, steel, superboy prime, and others they could just change their names i mean supergirl can't stay a super"girl" forever, the thing is that would never work for a character like superman...can you imagine superman changing his name and costume?
#42 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

Side question ... does this mean all the superman rip-offs aswell!? (sentry gladiator etc.)!?

#43 Posted by Pania (1759 posts) - - Show Bio

If it were a character like the Huntress, they might let her go. But there is no way DC is going to let one of the mainstays of their Universe go. They will pony up the cash.

#44 Posted by danhimself (22713 posts) - - Show Bio
Voidheart said:
"Side question ... does this mean all the superman rip-offs aswell!? (sentry gladiator etc.)!?"

no
#45 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio

The final calendar for the Superman case has been set.

The judge has divided the remaining issues into two separate trials. Because of the specific legal questions involved, neither will be a jury trial. Instead, the judge will issue the final determinations on his own.

On Jan. 12, 2009, the issue at stake will be the Siegels’ claim that DC Comics, Warner Bros., Time Warner and other companies connected to the Superman properties are alter egos. That is, the Siegels are arguing that these companies are so intertwined that they are essentially one and the same. The primary reason a plaintiff files an alter-ego claim is to reach the assets of separate entities that would otherwise not be required to pay. For example, if DC could not pay the full amount of its debt and the court deemed Warner Bros. and Time Warner to be its alter egos, the Siegels could collect the remaining amount from those other companies.

As for any amounts the Siegels may be owed from exploitation of the material in Action Comics #1, the date set for trial in regard to accounting of profits is March 24, 2009.

Of course, the dispute between the Siegels and DC (et al.) is not necessarily over even after the court issues its decisions, as an appeal is a distinct possibility. In addition, the court might also schedule a trial for any remaining issues in the Superboy case.

#46 Posted by King of Hearts 11987 (166 posts) - - Show Bio

Have fun at Marvel,Superman.

#47 Posted by never give up (9719 posts) - - Show Bio
King of Hearts 11987 said:
"Have fun at Marvel,Superman."
NO....
#48 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio
throws up
#49 Posted by Dr. Victor von Doom (3118 posts) - - Show Bio
Finally get to own him too...
#50 Edited by castleking (24119 posts) - - Show Bio

guess they should have settled when they had the chance take a page from supermans character and done the right thing, if marvel buys him it b funny as hell have marvel hero's showing him who really is super no more lifting planets for supes, bring him backdown to earth leaping in asingle bound faster then a speeding bullet like he was intended to be before bad writing

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.