Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

the difference between Kryptonians and Humans

NetSpiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NetSpiker  Online

Is having super powers the only difference between Kryptonians and Humans or is there some other biological difference? In some stories, a Human somehow acquires Kryptonian powers. Does that mean the Human becomes a Kryptonian? Does Superman becomes a Human if he loses his powers on Earth, or is he still considered a Kryptonian?

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Kal'smahboi
    @NetSpiker: There's a difference, but it may be only at the cellular level. It would be foolish of the creators to definitively describe Kryptonian physiology, but they are two different species.
    NetSpiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NetSpiker  Online

But when a Human gets Kryptonian powers wouldn't the Human DNA get changed into Kryptonian DNA? Does the Human become vulnerable to Kryptonite?

Avatar image for the_man_of_yesteryear
    The Man of Yesteryear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Are you talking about the Elseworld where a human infant is sent to Krypton from Earth, and then he develops powers when he returns?

NetSpiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NetSpiker  Online

@The Man of Yesteryear: Actually, I was thinking about all the times on Smallville when someone got Kryptonian powers. It happened to Eric Summers, Jonathan Kent, Lex Luthor, Lindsey Harrison and probably others that I don't remember. It happened in the comics too. Superman's Girl Friend Lois Lane #17, All-Star Superman #3 and Superman & Batman: Generations #7 are just a few examples.

Avatar image for the_man_of_yesteryear
    The Man of Yesteryear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NetSpiker said:

@The Man of Yesteryear: Actually, I was thinking about all the times on Smallville when someone got Kryptonian powers. It happened to Eric Summers, Jonathan Kent, Lex Luthor, Lindsey Harrison and probably others that I don't remember. It happened in the comics too. Superman's Girl Friend Lois Lane #17, All-Star Superman #3 and Superman & Batman: Generations #7 are just a few examples.

Well I don't watch Smallville so I wouldn't know. In All Star Superman he gave Lois the vial as a birthday gift but I have no idea how it actually works. You may want to ask Icarusflies, I remember him saying something about how Kryptonians are actually evolved humans so he might know more on this.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By azza04

No, Kryptonians and Humans only share the standard humanoid body type. In terms of their biologys they are nothing alike which is the reason why Clark and Lois could never have a baby.

NetSpiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NetSpiker  Online

They've had children in plenty of alternate timelines.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By azza04

@NetSpiker: ....But not the main continuity, and Superman does not become human if he loses his powers, that really irratates me, he's a Kryptonian with or without his powers. All this making Superman more human bussiness is one of the characters down falls (IMO) which was really played up in tv show Smallville. Kal-El is a super powered alien/demi god!!!

YoggSaron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By YoggSaron

@azza04 said:

No, Kryptonians and Humans only share the standard humanoid body type. In terms of their biologys they are nothing alike which is the reason why Clark and Lois could never have a baby.

Well, maybe not in a natural way. But Superboy proves that Kryptonian and Human can be mixed to produce a hybrid of the two.

Izaiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Izaiah
    @azza04 said:

However, Daxamites are able to have kids with humans without any apparent problems (see Superman Annual #14), which seems to suggest that humans and Kryptonians aren't that all that different.
    Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By buttersdaman000

In Superman Red Son, Kryptonians were basically hyper evolved humans.  
    @azza04 said:

@NetSpiker: ....But not the main continuity, and Superman does not become human if he loses his powers, that really irratates me, he's a Kryptonian with or without his powers. All this making Superman more human bussiness is one of the characters down falls (IMO) which was really played up in tv show Smallville. Kal-El is a super powered alien/demi god!!!

AND THIS!!
    z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By z3ro180

@azza04: and thats why smallvile realy annoyed me even though it was a good show....most of the time anyway

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By azza04

@Z3RO180: Yeah it had it's moments :D

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By HolySerpent

I was thinking this to. Humans who gain kryptonian abilities shouldnt have there weakness. Because there not from krypton

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Deranged Midget

@NetSpiker said:

Humans can't obtain Kryptonian powers. The difference is on a cellular level, different atmosphere, different sun.

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These accident probably cause temporary genetic shifts

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like they've said, it's all comes down to the cellular structure and does really need explanation? It's fiction, Kryptonians are affected by various suns and elements differently than humans.

I've realized something, all aliens that look like humans are either a super hero, a super villains, and/or a whore.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Using all versions of Superman, we know this:

- Kryptonians have a much more advanced DNA than humans

- Kryptonians have some of their organs in different places

- Some of those organs are more developed than ours

- Their powers do not come from the complexity of their DNA but rather from the atoms that make up their bodies

- Kryptonians have a longer life span than humans, although they were never clear if it was due to genetic enhancements or simply because of their more advanced technology

This being said, you get a pretty good idea of how different kryptonians are from humans.

Has for the times humans gained or robbed Superman powers, it was never a permanent thing, even when magic was involved. What happened in most cases was that the energy in Superman body got totally or partially transfered to a human being and during the process, the human gains his powers and Superman seems to have become depowered. But it was something natural to expect, the same happens when a magical person transfers or gets their magic transfered to someone else. He or she also seems to lose their powers, but they don't. They simply need time so their bodies can recuperate from the drain. The same goes for Superman.

I'm sure you're refering to the times in both "Lois and Clark" and "Smallville" tv series, where a simple bolt of lightning could totally or partially transfer his powers to a human. Honestly I never believed any of those stories because they were to ridiculous to believe.

And no. The humans didn't became kryptonians, because of one fundamental clue... Kryptonite didn't affect them has it should if they really became kryptonian.

There were actually four times in comics (that I remember) when the gain of kryptonian powers was not by lightning.

When Supergirl created X-Kryptonite (not to be confused with Kryptonite-X also known has Kryptisium).

When Superman got exposed to blue sunlight, he gained the power known has Super-Vision, where he gave Jonathan Kent the same powers has a kryptonian.

When Bruce Wayne and Clark Kent were at a exposition of ancient pieces from different and past cultures, the Silver Banshee was after a necklace that could grant people that touched it, their immediate most deep desire. And at the time Bruce desired to have Superman powers, and Clark desired to be a simple human. The end result...! Clark lost all his powers to Bruce. And at that time, it did seemed like a permanent transfer, but ultimately Clark got his powers back, because Bruce went bat shit crazy (pun intented) and had to be stopped.

When The Chief (the leader of the Doom Patrol) discovered what really made kryptonians have powers. He got hold of a kryptonian from New Krypton, in the pre-flashpoint timeline, and did some really sick and twisted experiments on him. He basically created a room with artificial red sunlight so the kryptonian would have no powers, put him into a induced coma, and while he was still alive, he open him up, so he could completely examine him. After extensive tests he determined that what made kryptonians have powers under different sunlight than red, was no special organ, or even their complex DNA, but rather their atomic makeup. Kryptonians had unique and exotic atoms that gave them a unique physiology that granted them their powers. Because he couldn't alter the atoms in his body he created a machine that would replace the atoms in his body with those in the kryptonian. He effectively and permanently gained kryptonian powers. But the transfer did more than just atomic switch, it also transfered the kryptonian mind and he started going more crazy than he naturally was, and Superman stopped him.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kenshima15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:

would you look at that lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.