the difference between Kryptonians and Humans

#1 Posted by NetSpiker (293 posts) - - Show Bio

Is having super powers the only difference between Kryptonians and Humans or is there some other biological difference? In some stories, a Human somehow acquires Kryptonian powers. Does that mean the Human becomes a Kryptonian? Does Superman becomes a Human if he loses his powers on Earth, or is he still considered a Kryptonian?

#2 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3454 posts) - - Show Bio
@NetSpiker: There's a difference, but it may be only at the cellular level. It would be foolish of the creators to definitively describe Kryptonian physiology, but they are two different species.
#3 Posted by NetSpiker (293 posts) - - Show Bio

But when a Human gets Kryptonian powers wouldn't the Human DNA get changed into Kryptonian DNA? Does the Human become vulnerable to Kryptonite?

#4 Posted by The Man of Yesteryear (5502 posts) - - Show Bio

Are you talking about the Elseworld where a human infant is sent to Krypton from Earth, and then he develops powers when he returns?

#5 Posted by NetSpiker (293 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Man of Yesteryear: Actually, I was thinking about all the times on Smallville when someone got Kryptonian powers. It happened to Eric Summers, Jonathan Kent, Lex Luthor, Lindsey Harrison and probably others that I don't remember. It happened in the comics too. Superman's Girl Friend Lois Lane #17, All-Star Superman #3 and Superman & Batman: Generations #7 are just a few examples.

#6 Posted by The Man of Yesteryear (5502 posts) - - Show Bio

@NetSpiker said:

@The Man of Yesteryear: Actually, I was thinking about all the times on Smallville when someone got Kryptonian powers. It happened to Eric Summers, Jonathan Kent, Lex Luthor, Lindsey Harrison and probably others that I don't remember. It happened in the comics too. Superman's Girl Friend Lois Lane #17, All-Star Superman #3 and Superman & Batman: Generations #7 are just a few examples.

Well I don't watch Smallville so I wouldn't know. In All Star Superman he gave Lois the vial as a birthday gift but I have no idea how it actually works. You may want to ask Icarusflies, I remember him saying something about how Kryptonians are actually evolved humans so he might know more on this.

#7 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

No, Kryptonians and Humans only share the standard humanoid body type. In terms of their biologys they are nothing alike which is the reason why Clark and Lois could never have a baby.

#8 Posted by NetSpiker (293 posts) - - Show Bio

They've had children in plenty of alternate timelines.

#9 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

@NetSpiker: ....But not the main continuity, and Superman does not become human if he loses his powers, that really irratates me, he's a Kryptonian with or without his powers. All this making Superman more human bussiness is one of the characters down falls (IMO) which was really played up in tv show Smallville. Kal-El is a super powered alien/demi god!!!

#10 Posted by YoggSaron (812 posts) - - Show Bio

@azza04 said:

No, Kryptonians and Humans only share the standard humanoid body type. In terms of their biologys they are nothing alike which is the reason why Clark and Lois could never have a baby.

Well, maybe not in a natural way. But Superboy proves that Kryptonian and Human can be mixed to produce a hybrid of the two.

#11 Posted by Izaiah (5166 posts) - - Show Bio
@azza04 said:

However, Daxamites are able to have kids with humans without any apparent problems (see Superman Annual #14), which seems to suggest that humans and Kryptonians aren't that all that different.
#12 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9288 posts) - - Show Bio

In Superman Red Son, Kryptonians were basically hyper evolved humans.  
@azza04 said:

@NetSpiker: ....But not the main continuity, and Superman does not become human if he loses his powers, that really irratates me, he's a Kryptonian with or without his powers. All this making Superman more human bussiness is one of the characters down falls (IMO) which was really played up in tv show Smallville. Kal-El is a super powered alien/demi god!!!

AND THIS!!
#13 Posted by Z3RO180 (6250 posts) - - Show Bio

@azza04: and thats why smallvile realy annoyed me even though it was a good show....most of the time anyway

#14 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

@Z3RO180: Yeah it had it's moments :D

#15 Posted by HolySerpent (12430 posts) - - Show Bio

I was thinking this to. Humans who gain kryptonian abilities shouldnt have there weakness. Because there not from krypton

#16 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@NetSpiker said:

Humans can't obtain Kryptonian powers. The difference is on a cellular level, different atmosphere, different sun.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.