Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

The day the music died(SPOILERS For Superman/Batman)

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

Okay so I've been reading Superman/Batman, the New 52 version. The first arc has New 52 Supes and Bats meeting Earth 2 Superman and Batman. The only two characters I've seen in the New 52 who behave and act exactly like their pre-New 52 counterparts. The characters I wanted to have their OWN series!!!!! Have been officially replaced with the darker, ruthless, and dangerous, main universe New 52 versions. This all happened in Superman/Batman. The only reason I was reading it was because I wanted to experience the GOOD Superman and Batman. This is what happened.

Some being from Apokolips, they never said who it was and I didn't recognize it, had pulled N52 Supes and Bats to the Earth 2 universe. And then after fighting off some villains the Apokoliptian said that it approves of the N52 Superman and Batman. Saying, and I quote,

"Ruthless, raw and dangerous"

So yeah!! The New 52 Superman and Batman are ENDORSED BY APOKOLIPS!!!! AM I THE ONLY ONE THAT FINDS THIS UNSETTLING?!?!? DC IS OUTRIGHT SAYING AND CONFIRMING THAT THE DARKER, EDGIER, AND BLATANTLY 90'S STYLED SUPERMAN AND BATMAN ARE BETTER THAN THE VERSIONS OF THEM THAT ARE IN NEARLY EVER FACET THEIR PRE-NEW 52 SELVES!!!

And believe it or not. That scene wasn't the worst. Oh no. They went FURTHER!! It's the scene that takes place AFTER the first one is what ticked me off the most. That officially killed any tiny shred of faith I had in DC's comics division.

Earth 2 Superman. The Superman that was in fact the living reincarnation of pre-New 52 Superman. The Superman that SHOULD have been the mainstream Superman in the reboot............ CONDONES THE NEW 52 SUPERMAN!!! HE CONDONES THE CLEARLY RECKLESS, AGGRESSIVE AND DANGEROUS PERSON WHO HAS ALL OF HIS POWERS!!!

So yeah............... To those at DC?

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Kind of an overreaction if you ask me...

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jldoom: I'm already going through the idiotic darker fake Spider-Man over at Marvel. This is just DC hopping on the bandwagon and trying to condone the way they are portraying their mainstream Superman by having one that's basically the Superman everyone already knows and loves and grew up with, saying that this new Superman who's clearly a loose cannon is doing a good job. He even calls him DANGEROUS!!!

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By cameron83

@smart_dork_dude said:

@jldoom: I'm already going through the idiotic darker fake Spider-Man over at Marvel. This is just DC hopping on the bandwagon and trying to condone the way they are portraying their mainstream Superman by having one that's basically the Superman everyone already knows and loves and grew up with, saying that this new Superman who's clearly a loose cannon is doing a good job. He even calls him DANGEROUS!!!

I think DC doesn't even care about their old universe anymore. Sooner or later they may make a statement in their comic in which they might make a shot against the old universe and say something like "out with the old,in with the new" or something like that. They are never going back to the old universe,the dye has definitely been cast.

I only read the new 52 stuff for events that seem slightly interesting,like Trinity War (it looks interesting,so I just wanna see how it is). It still has some fun stories (like the Batman stuff),but overall...I don't like it.

At the same time,the old universe had many many many many many many faults,especially near the end where it seemed as if DC stopped trying,so maybe they could do a partial reboot,but only keep the good/essential parts.

One of the things I liked was the depowerment of the Flash. He was so powerful in the old universe that it made no sense for him to even have enemies.

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By JLDoom

@smart_dork_dude: I still think you should calm down, man. It's not worth it. I haven't even read the story, I'm just saying it's not worth getting worked up about.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude

@cameron83: It's just things like this where I cannot HELP but complain and voice my opinion on it.

As for DC towards the end? Yeah I admit, it was FAR from perfect. However it only got that messed up due to things like Amazons Attack, Countdown(Which was just stupidity personified and had NOTHING to do with Infinite Crisis), and Cry for Justice. Yeah they should have rebooted. Rebooted in the sense of removing all the clutter of those horrible events, while leaving everything basically the same. To unburden the universe so it would have a cleaner and fresher feel to it.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@cameron83: It's just things like this where I cannot HELP but complain and voice my opinion on it.

As for DC towards the end? Yeah I admit, it was FAR from perfect. However it only got that messed up due to things like Amazons Attack, Countdown(Which was just stupidity personified and had NOTHING to do with Infinite Crisis), and Cry for Justice. Yeah they should have rebooted. Rebooted in the sense of removing all the clutter of those horrible events, while leaving everything basically the same.

It's funny because those were the exact events I was referring to :)

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@smart_dork_dude: I agree with your entire post...I even said something similar to it after the last issue

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

@mitran: I agree with you on that and didn't Kaiyo wanted to stop darkseid in the first place ?

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

@mitran: That's right and it said it in Darkseid villains month book too if I remember.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#13  Edited By SaintWildcard

This is sooooooooooo interesting.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would think it would be actually exiting for a Pre52 fan because it hints at where Greg Pak wants to take the character in his future run. He is reminding his younger self that at the core he is the same person and that he can choose to be better.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@mitran said:

As for him condoning our Superman, he doesn't. He says "When the time came, you did the right thing. Remember that." I don't believe he was talking about the shard. I think he was talking about saving Lois and Catwoman. That was the only "time" that mattered, because obviously he didn't think keeping the shard was the right thing to do.

I would think it would be actually exiting for a Pre52 fan because it hints at where Greg Pak wants to take the character in his future run. He is reminding his younger self that at the core he is the same person and that he can choose to be better.

These were basically my thoughts on the issue.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@mitran said:

As for him condoning our Superman, he doesn't. He says "When the time came, you did the right thing. Remember that." I don't believe he was talking about the shard. I think he was talking about saving Lois and Catwoman. That was the only "time" that mattered, because obviously he didn't think keeping the shard was the right thing to do.

@papinacho said:

I agree with the previous posters.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimatesmfan said:

@mitran said:

@papinacho said:

I agree with the previous posters.

I concur.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

My thoughts:

The point (IMO) was that the younger versions of Clark & Bruce would one day live up to the high standards set by their older and more mature Earth 2 counterparts. Superman showed glimpses when he saved E2 Lois and Catwoman.

Just my 2 cents.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude just be quite and stop moaning. You people wanted a younger non boys out superman who was not married to lois lane and now that you have it you hate it. If this is how you react just stop reading comics.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Deranged Midget

You do know that this was both Bruce and Clark at their earliest right? I mean, it essentially reflects perfectly with how Grant Morrison wrote Clark in Action Comics two years back. Take a deep breath and relax mate.

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#24  Edited By SaintWildcard

@z3ro180: Lets give him the benefit of the doubt. Some people dont want any change ever. They want the same story over and over and over again. Its exiting to them. Kind of like my mom and those damn tele novelas (mexican soap operas)

Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_rog_el: Name one instance where there's a story for the New 52 Superman that couldn't have been done without it being the classic Superman? If anything we are getting the same stories over and over again NOW because of this stupid reboot as they keep having to go over things that already happened!!!!!!!

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@smart_dork_dude: All of Morrison's run hinged on the fact Superman was younger and depowered, as did JL: Origins and Batman/Superman. Additionally Lobdell's He'll on Earth storlline also hinged in Krypton being different from its pre-52 version. Superman Unchained is actually the only major storyline that I could see happening Pre-52.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.