Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

The Big Blue Boy Scout

Ministurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Lately in the new 52 superman has not shown his boy scout side at all especially in the first few issues of action comics and Justice league #2. It's not that he's completely cold and emotionless it's that he isn't that warm heart filled character that he was created to be. Also please don't bring up the ending of the man of steel that depressed me greatly.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ministurt: don't count on DC making Supes a Boy Scout again because that s one reason a lot of people moan about him that and the red speedos. Now that they are both gone people are crying about it

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Nerx

@z3ro180: Thats what people deserve, b!tches get emotional stitches

they want action

DC gives em more action

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman hasn't been a boy scout in almost 3 years....

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
    ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big Blue boyscout doesn't sell movie tickets so DC won't bring him back.

DigbyKong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerx said:

@z3ro180: Thats what people deserve, b!tches get emotional stitches

they want action

DC gives em more action

Totally stealing that line.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By reignmaker

@ultrastarkiller said:

Big Blue boyscout doesn't sell movie tickets so DC won't bring him back.

Yup. People would rather see a pissed off Superman that destroys stuff. Frankly, I don't blame them. I mean just compare these two guys. Despite the fact that the "nice-guy" one had a more critically acclaimed movie, it's easy to see just based on these pictures why one sold where the other didn't.

"This bulge is badass"
    "I'm a badass"

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reignmaker: Man of Steel Clark,is a pretty nice guy in the movie

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Nerx
    reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By reignmaker

@z3ro180 said:

@reignmaker: Man of Steel Clark,is a pretty nice guy in the movie

Yeah, true. I didn't like how Singer's Superman turned out to be a deadbeat dad either. It wasn't a terrible idea, I just didn't like how it was executed.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reignmaker: Ok first off how can he be a deadbeat dad if he never knew he had a son ? Plus the kid had a mum and stepdad that loved him plus supes would be looking out for him so I don't think he is a dead beat dad

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reignmaker: why does everyone say he's a dead beat dad....he was in space, she didn't tell him it was his until he was knocked out unconscious which when he was over and done with the situation he went to see his boy and lend some kind words, but he knew the boy had a loving caring family, what would superman bring to the table....super hero baggage and emotional turmoil? sounds great.

man of steel superman was polite, he walked away from several fights in that movie, he took it out on inanimate objects, when he finally does fight someone it was out of defense. I am not sure if you could keep your cool if someone threatened your planet and mother but if so then you got a great deal of will power, and i respect you for that

Action comics superman taunts the army and teases them

MOS lets them arrest him with handcuffs.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: Lack of knowledge doesn't excuse responsibility. When you bang a person you don't just take off like some hood rat. Furthermore, he basically makes it known at the end of the flick that he's not making any changes to his personal life to help the family. Just a weak promise that he'll be in the neighborhood. Some people were ok with this, but I wasn't.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the dorky smiling Christopher Reeve Superman. He'd save a cat from a tree, be respectful towards authority figures, and always try to keep a smile on his face. Superman should always want to set a good example for people to follow. Sure, he gets pissed off and punches bad guys, but he's still the quintessential good guy.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip said:

I like the dorky smiling Christopher Reeve Superman. He'd save a cat from a tree, be respectful towards authority figures, and always try to keep a smile on his face. Superman should always want to set a good example for people to follow. Sure, he gets pissed off and punches bad guys, but he's still the quintessential good guy.

Agreed.

Nerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It could always be worse

Loading Video...

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Perezite

@nerx said:

It could always be worse

Loading Video...

Oh Kevin Smith...you cannabis smoking dumb fat ass.

Eternal19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip said:

I think the reason people dont like boyscout Superman is because people dont like to be reminded that they are flawed. They want someone who is on their level. They want someone who could be real. Honestly as much as i enjoy boyscout superman stories like Kingdom Come and Allstar Superman. The boyscout Superman just doesnt appeal to as wide of an audience as he did in the 50's.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eternal19: I agree with what you are saying. I like a flawed anti-hero more than most. My some of my favourite movies and books have broken people as the protagonist.

However, the world seems to have lost it's heroes. There is no one alive today that people idolize. People just seem to be interested in seeing trainwrecks of humanity. That's why I think teh good-natured 'boy scout' Superman always needs to exist. We need a character (fictional as he may be) that isn't riddled with psychological issues. Someone who is a hero not because of some sense of profound guilt or past trauma, but because he has a sense of endless compassion and goodness. There should always be a character we can point at and say, "He's a good guy." and not know in the back of our minds that despite being a good guy, he is a severely damaged person.

That's why I don't see the need to make every character 'relatable'. Some characters should be idols, ones that set examples and stand above.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip said:

@eternal19: I agree with what you are saying. I like a flawed anti-hero more than most. My some of my favourite movies and books have broken people as the protagonist.

However, the world seems to have lost it's heroes. There is no one alive today that people idolize. People just seem to be interested in seeing trainwrecks of humanity. That's why I think teh good-natured 'boy scout' Superman always needs to exist. We need a character (fictional as he may be) that isn't riddled with psychological issues. Someone who is a hero not because of some sense of profound guilt or past trauma, but because he has a sense of endless compassion and goodness. There should always be a character we can point at and say, "He's a good guy." and not know in the back of our minds that despite being a good guy, he is a severely damaged person.

That's why I don't see the need to make every character 'relatable'. Some characters should be idols, ones that set examples and stand above.

So you admit humanity sucks donkey balls.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite said:

@rdclip said:

Nope, Humanity has just lost it's optimism so it finds itself sucking big hairy equine scrotum instead of dreaming of a time in which it won't have to taste the testies of an ass.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip said:

@perezite said:

@rdclip said:

Nope, Humanity has just lost it's optimism so it finds itself sucking big hairy equine scrotum instead of dreaming of a time in which it won't have to taste the testies of an ass.

So, you admit humanity sucks donkey balls then.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite said:

@rdclip said:

@perezite said:

@rdclip said:

I think we always have pleasured the nethers of said hooved animal, but we used to dream of better things than being face deep in the special place of a common work animal.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Perezite

@rdclip said:

@perezite said:

@rdclip said:

@perezite said:

@rdclip said:

I think we always have pleasured the nethers of said hooved animal, but we used to dream of better things than being face deep in the special place of a common work animal.

So, you REALLY admit humanity sucks donkey balls then.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip said:

Good. Just glad to know you can admit that to yourself and to others.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.