Sword of Superman

#1 Posted by daak1212 (7866 posts) - - Show Bio

What is the Sword of Superman?  I have a pic of it I think but Im not sure why everyone holds it in such high regard
#2 Edited by nightwing91 (3877 posts) - - Show Bio
@daak1212: It's from Superman Annual 10, its a sword that was made during the big bang, It had an S on it and formed a psychic connection with Pa Kent.  It floats in space for centuries till superman finds it, and it starts to make superman even stronger,  all powerful and all knowing. But Superman rejects it so that he can stay as Earths greatest Hero.
#3 Posted by ssejllenrad (12790 posts) - - Show Bio
@nightwing91 said:
" @daak1212: It's from Superman Annual 10, its a sword that was made during the big bang, It had an S on it and formed a psychic connection with Pa Kent.  It floats in space for centuries till superman finds it, and it starts to make superman even stronger,  all powerful and all knowing. But Superman rejects it so that he can stay as Earths greatest Hero. "
Well told. Couldn't have said it better myself.
#4 Posted by Son_of_Magnus (15040 posts) - - Show Bio

PC crap

#5 Posted by Primmaster64 (21073 posts) - - Show Bio

lol

#6 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

One piece of primal matter formed in that creation somehow took the shape of a sword. That sword floated through space for eons and later came to be known by the strange symbol on its hilt, in millions of languages, on millions of planets, as the "Sword of Superman." The sword is the stuff of legend, resisting the efforts of all who try to capture it, as if sentient, as if waiting for the one being in the universe who is destined to hold it.

Meanwhile, on a planet in the exact center of the Milky Way Galaxy, a race that is almost as old as the universe takes it upon itself to guard the growth of intelligent life on as many planets as possible, first through a corps of robots assigned to protect a small group of planets (the robots would later become known as Manhunters), later with a galaxy spanning batallion of magic ring wielding warriors. Realizing that even immortals can't last forever, the self-styled "Guardians of the Universe" hope someday to turn their task over completely to these Green Lanterns, if only a warrior of such noble proportions can be found who would be capable of leading them 

In a seemingly unrelated event, a race of gaseous beings called the "Sun Thrivers" created a giant red sun by drawing matter from nearby parts of the galaxy. They intended to use this star as a home for themselves as they travelled around the universe. The fate of their original star is unknown. Presumably it was destroyed in some manner, possibly a manner similar to the ultimate fate of this new sun.

Indeed, this sun proved to be an unstable vehicle. The Sun Thrivers compensated for this unbalance by creating planets to orbit their sun. One of these planets, made of incredibly dense matter, was unstable itself. However, the Sun Thrivers managed to hold it together for 10,000 years, long enough for another race of cosmic beings to get some use out of it.

Soon after the creation of this incredible artifact, two space explorers crash landed separately on its surface. Even though they didn't know of each other's existence, they managed to find each other on its gigantic continents. Unable to rebuild their crafts, the two astronauts are forced to make the best of life on the barren planet, with its wispy atmosphere of crimson gases. Coincidentally, the two astronauts turned out to be a male and female of the same species, one named Kryp, the other, Tonn.

These two stranded astronauts turned a world so unfit for life that early generations had to sleep more than half the day and felt more comfortable crawling than walking, into a bustling super scientific civilized world. The weakest died before they could produce children, but the human species displayed its surprising adaptability and evolved to meet the challenge.

The race's physiology was subtly altered, although the outward appearance changed very little. Muscle tissue became denser. Motor reflexes became sharper. Optic capacities widened. The race began expanding out from the low gravity regions around the equator to the upper latitudes. At least, that's the way Elliot Maggin described it in his 1978 novel Superman: Last Son of Krypton.

Central to the history of this evolving planet was an incredible family called "El." Kings, philosophers, scientists, explorers, musicians, and architects all followed one another with bewildering rapidity. It was almost as if someone was watching this family, guiding them, in order to produce an evolutionary masterpiece, a Superman (The Krypton Chronicles).

That someone, most likely, was the aforementioned Guardians of the Universe. For 10,000 years they had manipulated the descendants of Kryp and Tonn until, in Jor-El and Lara, they had created the genetically perfect couple, the couple who would produce the one who would be heir to the Guardians, who would rule the Green Lantern Corps after their passing, Kal-El, the greatest Green Lantern of them all!

Unfortunately, the planet they had chosen for this experiment was unstable and due to self destruct. A Green Lantern named Tomar-Re was dispatched to preserve the planet until Jor-El could build a space ark and escape to found a new colony. This plan, too, came to disaster, as the space villain, Brainiac, stole Jor-El's completed space ark when he shrunk the city of Kandor and placed it in a bottle. Though he fought valiantly, Tomar-Re was only mortal. He could not save Krypton, and so all perished, except for Kal-El, who was rocketed desperately away into space by his father, determined that at least something from Krypton would live on.

The rocket bearing Krypton's last son landed in Smallville, Maryland (or was it Kansas?) where, with the intercession of the famous scientist, Albert Einstein, who had been contacted by Jor-El for help, the foundling was adopted by the Kents.

Soon, the Kents realized that this child had spectacular abilities. Clark, for instance, learned to read English almost immediately, although he exhibited a contempt for the rules of grammar, saying things like, "Me want read Tale of Two Cities again!" The space ship Kal-El had flown in had opened up a space warp, dragging all manner of debris from the vicinity of Krypton, including, in addition to a large swarm of kryptonite, a lost satellite containing his pet dog, Krypto.

The presence of this cosmic being, and perhaps the matter he had dragged along with him, seemed to upset something in the equilibrium of the planet. It was almost as if a mystical magnetic force had been shot through the atmosphere. Extraordinary beings of all shapes and sizes began to appear, where for all of the planet's past history, there had been none whatsoever. Men of cosmic powers were attracted to this globe as if it were a focal point, a cosmic crisis point, waiting for something of universal import to take place.

That event was a dream that came to Jonathan Kent, causing him to awaken in the middle of the night and draw a strange symbol, a weird design, "something like a test pattern" as Perry White called it in Superman #417. Somehow, Jonathan Kent knew that his foster son was destined to wear this symbol and bring it to the far corners of the universe.

First as Superboy, then as Superman, he fought as a champion of justice, the first in a seemingly endless series of super beings that came to inhabit the planet Earth. It was almost as if super powers were contagious, as if he had so much super energy that he radiated it to others.

It came to pass that, in the course of a great battle for Truth and Justice, man and sword finally came together. For the first time the sword allowed itself to be grasped by the hand of a man. Holding it, Superman found himself expanding, spreading across the winds of the universe, the whole history of creation flooding his mind. His consciousness expanded, he was becoming an all-seeing, all knowing Protector. Then he let it go.

"You have done well, my son. You have earned your name. Your future is yours to make. Your greatness among living things is assured." This message was left in his head as the sword receded into the blackness of space once again. The sword remains out there. It waits until he who has earned it is ready to retrieve it and fulfill his ultimate destiny in Eternity. 
#7 Posted by X (225 posts) - - Show Bio

What does it look like 

#8 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@ X:

#9 Posted by X (225 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedK: thanks not bad looking but i thought it would look cooler 
#10 Posted by WDW (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

lol thats so retarted

#11 Edited by DEGRAAF (7912 posts) - - Show Bio
@ X:
well it was created (by the writers) a while ago. I actually wish they would reintroduce the sword in to the current universe. Even if they just showed a glimpse of it on a stand in the Fortress of Salitude. I think its a good idea. Like a infinity gauntlet but for a good guy. 

If the anti-monitor ever comes back to take over all the universes again even stronger then last time then they should have Superman use the sword to gain his omni-potential to fight him off. I think it could make a good story
#12 Edited by DEGRAAF (7912 posts) - - Show Bio

from superman super site. I actually really really like this story

For the first time in January 1972, Superman started to become aware of larger issues - like just what effect his presence on Earth was having on the development of human society. Previous writers had criticized Superman as being "too powerful," but Maggin and fellow writer Cary Bates, who had been on Superman since 1967, took the approach that Superman, by definition, was supposed to be powerful. They began to explore Superman's legend and focus on his moral righteousness, subtly constructing a new continuity built upon his Silver Age history and succesfully transforming him into a much more inspiring figure than he had ever been before.

As the decade progressed, it was no longer sufficient for him to be merely Earth's mightiest mortal, he became the universe's. Some called this event 'Genesis.'" Thus begins the earliest piece of this new origin of Superman, as presented in Superman Annual #10..... 

ok now i see where it started

#13 Posted by nightwing91 (3877 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF: Possibly if it was just seen in the fortress, but I mean superman resorting to that kind of defeats the point of being super, he doesn't need gadgets like batman or a sword like wonder woman. He's the greatest hero because of his heart, which makes sure he always does the right thing. I mean if thw sword went to someone else in the superman family, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

But I mean, with the sword I imagine he would be to hard to write.
#14 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF:  i already posted that,
#15 Posted by DEGRAAF (7912 posts) - - Show Bio
@nightwing91 said:
" @DEGRAAF: Possibly if it was just seen in the fortress, but I mean superman resorting to that kind of defeats the point of being super, he doesn't need gadgets like batman or a sword like wonder woman. He's the greatest hero because of his heart, which makes sure he always does the right thing. I mean if thw sword went to someone else in the superman family, I wouldn't have an issue with it.  But I mean, with the sword I imagine he would be to hard to write."

I dont mean for him to always use the sword, just in the example against the strongest version of the Anti-monitor, also he used a wish machine or something like that for Final Crisis. He just wish for everything to have a good ending or crap like that. At least the sword version could have some fighting 

@RedK said:
" @DEGRAAF:  i already posted that, "

oh i thought yours was different from that one.
#16 Posted by nightwing91 (3877 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF: The MIRACLE machine,  is different all hope was lost, So he used it to recreate reality without darksied in it.

Yes you could do that, but it MADE him all knowing don't you think that'd make him crazy, to know when every bad thing is going, all over the universe. And also I've always considerered superman as reactive not a proactive hero, it'd be out of character to use the sword. I mean if he used the sword why not use it all the time, wouldn't that increase his ability to help people? It's just not a supermanish, and wouldn't it be weird to have superman carrying a sword, when you picture superman, you picture iconic picture, you could never see someone that strong holding onto that silly looking sword.

But I would love for someone, like say Linda Danvers to have the sword. : )
#17 Posted by ssejllenrad (12790 posts) - - Show Bio
@nightwing91 said:
" @DEGRAAF: Possibly if it was just seen in the fortress, but I mean superman resorting to that kind of defeats the point of being super, he doesn't need gadgets like batman or a sword like wonder woman. He's the greatest hero because of his heart, which makes sure he always does the right thing. I mean if thw sword went to someone else in the superman family, I wouldn't have an issue with it.  But I mean, with the sword I imagine he would be to hard to write. "
Wouldn't the merging of him and the sword just make him nigh omnipotent and wasn't he already portrayed as such in post-crisis? I mean Supes Prime 1 million? I know it's a different powersource but the power levels are quite the same... I could be wrong... And I agree it'll be hard to write if he had that power levels...
#18 Posted by TheVindicator (443 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool Story. Cool artifact/sword. UGLY sword.

#19 Posted by ssejllenrad (12790 posts) - - Show Bio
@Formidable said:
" Cool Story. Cool artifact/sword. UGLY sword. "
Lol... True...
#20 Posted by nightwing91 (3877 posts) - - Show Bio
@ssejllenrad: Can you iamgine being responsible for comiong up with  a believable story for someone that powerful. And I believe Dc one million would be stronger then the supes with the sword cause lets face it we only saw the sword in what one annual, we don't know the limits It could have raised his powers to. But you know people already complain of supes being to strong, imagine him being all knowing and all powerful. Everyone would always complain about it.
#21 Posted by DEGRAAF (7912 posts) - - Show Bio
@ssejllenrad said:
" @nightwing91 said:
Wouldn't the merging of him and the sword just make him nigh omnipotent and wasn't he already portrayed as such in post-crisis? I mean Supes Prime 1 million? I know it's a different powersource but the power levels are quite the same... I could be wrong... And I agree it'll be hard to write if he had that power levels... "
i was thinking that that too, It seems like he would have similar powers to Superman Prime one-milion.

@nightwing91: 
Yes you could do that, but it MADE him all knowing don't you think that'd make him crazy, to know when every bad thing is going, all over the universe. 
-No, i think it would make him more aware of all the problems in the universe, but he has talked about how it doesnt help if he fixes everyones problems. How people need to help them selves and he is to help people that cant help themselves. Thats why he doesnt go after small criminals normally. Also if a fully powered Anti-monitor (lets say fully powered while also embodying all of the lantern entities with the ability to capture and control Spectre and Dr Fate to do his bidding) was coming to take over the universes i think that would be more of a threat than Darksied in Final Crisis.

also I've always considered superman as reactive not a proactive hero, it'd be out of character to use the sword. I mean if he used the sword why not use it all the time, wouldn't that increase his ability to help people? It's just not a supermanish, and wouldn't it be weird to have superman carrying a sword, when you picture superman, you picture iconic picture, you could never see someone that strong holding onto that silly looking sword.  
 -i also have always considered him reactive but if all hope is lost he would turn to its power, and i wouldnt continue to use the sword bc he wouldnt believe any one being should have that much power all the time but if its the multiverses only chance he would use it. Also i agree i dont picture him with a sword now but i think he would look cool with a sword and could easily picture him with one. As for how silly it looks, i agree it does, but artists now a days would jsut redesign it any ways to be like an ultimate excalibur sword. It could even be saifd the sword could change its form to better suit the user.

But I would love for someone, like say Linda Danvers to have the sword. 
- Thats interesting. I think she looks cool with a sword and i havent followed her but you think she deserves or could handle that much power?
#22 Posted by DEGRAAF (7912 posts) - - Show Bio
@nightwing91:

doesnt use the sword back then either just keeps it attached to his belt

could be redesigned to look like this or any other type of sword
#23 Posted by nightwing91 (3877 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF: That last ones more of a tribal cross in my opinion, would be a great tattoo ( since im looking for a new one) but as a sword, U dont think s) And he has the sword for 1 story I doubt he'd leave it on his belt, all the time.  And I'm saying there's still helpless people all over the universe, if superman knew when a distaster was gonna happen, say a planet blowing up, a sun going supernova wiping out a solar system filled with life, your telling me supes wouldn't do everything in his power to get there to try and save people. And sometimes he'd fell your telling me being all knowing, wouldn't make him go crazy for getting there and not being able to do much. I mean if he has the sword whats to stop him frpom being more like Ollie, We know Superman will kill if the need is great enough, say he knows a villan is all bad, no prision will hold him, and he'll always come back to destroy. Superman knowing that wouldn't he decide that he had to die?

And yes I think Linda would deserve the sword, It seems right after Reign In Hell, she saw who she really was so to speak, a hero. What better way would there be then to, give her a sword to know when, a disaster is going to happen, so she can redeem herself a bit.
#24 Posted by DEGRAAF (7912 posts) - - Show Bio
@nightwing91:
i dont think he should keep it on his belt at all times, just when there is no other hope. 

He could help them if he is omni whatever. He could transport them away from danger or figure out how tostop it (like find a blue lantern to fix the exploding star, if he couldnt do it himself). Eventually someone would die and yes it would be hard for him but he has failed before so i think he could handle death and failure, that doesnt mean to say that he wouldnt have a hard time grasping the whole thing but i dont think he would go crazy, also if he see a villain that is pure evil than why not kill him? 

I didnt read reign in hell but sounds like good enough reason for me. U think she would be ok with being omni-potent and knowing all as well as dealing with loss?
#25 Edited by nightwing91 (3877 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF: She was an Earth born angel of Fire, so I mean she's always been one of my favorite characters. I'm just saying he handles failing on a Earth scale, if he were there and  a galaxy was still destroyed do you think he would take it so well? I do agree seeing the sword would be cool, but not for superman I say Linda gets it. and Supes can wield it. But I think it would be a good way to tie her back to the superman mythos as she was supergirl before Kara, was introduced post-crisis.
#26 Posted by DEGRAAF (7912 posts) - - Show Bio
@nightwing91:
Lol, i think it would take some time for him to get used to letting people die from natural disasters. I would be ok with Linda getting it and i would love for her to get tied back in to the superman mythos. 

Has she seen the current superman since the Crisis? Im just curious if she would fall in love with him and think he was the same as the one she married. I would like to see her kid come back as well
#27 Posted by nightwing91 (3877 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF: No she hasn't the she knows the post-and pre crisis supermen were different, Superman and lois were kinda like parents to her. So much so at the nd of her series when she gives up being  a super hero she leaves them a note about how she didn't deserve to wear the shield cause she felt like she let everyone down. But you know her daughter wasn't erased from time though.
#28 Posted by DEGRAAF (7912 posts) - - Show Bio
@nightwing91:
yea i knew that about her daughter. But she is in the future or something isnt she said to be looking for her mom?
#29 Posted by ComicMan24 (147032 posts) - - Show Bio

It sounds but doesn't look awesome.

#30 Posted by nightwing91 (3877 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF: Yeah but in the future what is time, shes supermans daughter she should be fast enough to travel through time, and in the future its not like there aren't tons of time machines.

@ComicMan24: And yes that sword, looks very lame.
#31 Posted by DEGRAAF (7912 posts) - - Show Bio
@nightwing91:
according to her page her powers are that she cant travel thru time with out screwing up the time stream. I agree they should bring her back already. By this time they would probably bring her back around the same age as supergirl. Maybe its that she is to powerful.
#32 Posted by nightwing91 (3877 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF: Yeah, well It can be her from a futher point in time traveling back in time looking for her father. And I'd love to see her fight Superboy Prime. But I doubt we'll ever see her again, we seem to have been lucky to have gotten to see  Linda at all.
#33 Posted by DEGRAAF (7912 posts) - - Show Bio
@nightwing91:
yea  i like how they could re-invent her so we  wouldnt have two supergirls but i dont get why they let two good characters go off and "die" like that. I could see them saying linda's daughter is jsut to powerful and that is why she isnt used but Linda is still useful
#34 Posted by nightwing91 (3877 posts) - - Show Bio
@DEGRAAF: Well I say putting her into reign in hell, was also cause Peter Davids fallen angel, he used one character and he stated in a interview his intention was her being Linda. So I say that pushed Dc back into using her, which is a good thing.
#35 Posted by DEGRAAF (7912 posts) - - Show Bio
@nightwing91:
yea i would just like to see someone pick her up now and continue to use her
#36 Posted by termiteone4ever (7983 posts) - - Show Bio
@nightwing91:
IS there a picture of Linda i never even heard of her.
#37 Posted by EisforExtinction (1863 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman's sword is as useless as the Spider Buggy.

#38 Posted by Blackice709 (997 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman just keeps getting boring -_-

#39 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blackice709: Why did you you bump this just to say that?

#40 Posted by ComicStooge (13828 posts) - - Show Bio

@Blackice709 said:

Superman just keeps getting boring -_-

The sword was made decades ago and hasn't been used since, what the hell are you talking about?

#41 Posted by JuliusTakalua (316 posts) - - Show Bio

@degraaf: well said. I hope that was how Snyder made MoS... A god on earth. Someone who is powerful and uses his powers to shape the world.

With all these mythological and legendary ideas and stories, someone could seriously make an awesome Superman graphic novel portraying him as the god on earth figure. THe Sword seems awesome too. Sounded a bit retarded at first but now I see it. It's good writing

#42 Posted by lol (5388 posts) - - Show Bio

@Formidable said:

" Cool Story. Cool artifact/sword. UGLY sword. "

Lol... True...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.