Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman's vulnerability to magic

kadeem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kadeem

even the most devout Superman fan must admit that Superman has a vulnerability to magic , yet from reading many discussions on here there seems to be a lack of consensus.

rein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By rein
    @kadeem said:

" even the most devout Superman fan must admit that Superman has a vulnerability to magic , yet from reading many discussions on here there seems to be a lack of consensus. "

i think there's A lack of consensus on how much magic hurts him, rather then if it hurts him. (although Quite a few versions are resistant to it)
    kadeem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kadeem

I was under the understanding that the mainstream comic book version of Superman was as vulnerable to magic as a regular person, but the animated version of him is resistant to magic, but enough of it will injure him.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I honestly don't know. Sometimes he's written as being vulnerable, sometimes he's not. The problem is that the writers don't know if he is or not.

kadeem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kadeem
    @JediXMan said:
    " I honestly don't know. Sometimes he's written as being vulnerable, sometimes he's not. The problem is that the writers don't know if he is or not. "
    No wonder people on here argue all the time.
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @kadeem said:
    " @JediXMan said:
    " I honestly don't know. Sometimes he's written as being vulnerable, sometimes he's not. The problem is that the writers don't know if he is or not. "
    No wonder people on here argue all the time. "
    I personally like it better when he is vulnerable to magic. I know Kingdom Come Superman was (to a point, as he did fight through Captain Marvel's lightning blasts). Superman Prime isn't. As for normal New Earth Superman... pretty sure he is.
    kadeem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kadeem
    @JediXMan: That was my understanding.  I think it makes more sense if he's vulnerable to magic, although Superman-Prime is the most interesting new villain I've seen in a while.
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator
    @kadeem said:
    " @JediXMan: That was my understanding.  I think it makes more sense if he's vulnerable to magic, although Superman-Prime is the most interesting new villain I've seen in a while. "
    He's interesting, yes, but I like when he learns his place by being taken down.
    kadeem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kadeem
    @JediXMan: Well yeah, the fool had it coming. LOL In some ways he was psychologically the most believable version of Superman, given how powerful he was, and how his personality developed as he matured from childhood.
    Avatar image for emerald_general_jai
    Emerald_General_Jai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

The other issue i've noticed is how much it hurts him. Some treat him as if Magic cuts through his invulnerability like a knife through butter, and other's more like a plastic knife through steak.  I wish we knew exactly how affective it is on him, it would cut arguments down trememdously. I mean take the Thor fight. He was able to power through it b/c he's still invulnerable, it just had more of an effect b/c it was Magical Lightning, same w/ Cap Marvel. 

kadeem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By kadeem

Yes, I wish writers would get their crap together and be more consistent.

Avatar image for emerald_general_jai
    Emerald_General_Jai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

It'd b nice.

Valtot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Valtot

magic can pass his bio field so he's as vulnrable to it as a normal human but he has some resistance to it otherwise hed die with 1 shazam, also does he still have the magic shield aura or is that gone now?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.