Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman's Stress Level

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Folks, has Superman ever stressed out to the point of anxiety/panic attacks?

I know Supes is a very positive person and all, but there are things that takes a toll on his body/mind.

Tell me what you think?

Avatar image for themanofsteelprime
    TheManofSteelPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With the Truth storyline, I think he is pretty much stressed out by now.

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Superman v1#275, he suffered a brief spell of dissociative nervous reaction that actually blinded him temporarily, as his highly active mental processes apparently made him more subject to such things. Maggin really liked to explore those facets of Superman's psyche. And his concentration has lapsed on a number of occasions because he pushed himself too hard.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeremy1989:

He's had his moments of crisis.

Take for example the consequences of the Infinite Crisis. The lives lost, especially that of Connor (aka Superboy) really took a hit on his psych. To the point he subsconsciously turn off his powers, or at least did not let them return. All so he could recuperate from all the stress, and trauma.

When he faced The Elite for a second time, or to be more precise Manchester Black. Manchester took Superman right to the breaking point. He even created the illusion he had killed Lois right in front of Superman, just to prove that Superman could break like anyother person and kill him.

Manchester actually wanted Superman to kill him, thus proving his point. But even at breaking point Superman did not gave in, did not break. Althought it was clear he was heartbroken an a inch from losing it, he still was able to take Lois corpse into his arms and walk away from Manchester, saying that he would still not kill him, no matter what he did to him or the people he loved.

I got to honest tough. Although I loved that Superman was strong enough to deal with the mental shock, I for not one moment believed in what I was seeing. It look unbelievable then and it will look unbelievable now and forever.

Oh! In the end Manchester revealed it was all a illusion, and that all the things he'd done, reveal his secret identity to Lex Luthor and a bunch of other criminals, putting his family and friends at risk, all were done to drive Superman to the point he'd break just like any human would in his place.

Those are the two moments that come to mind that had a great deal of stress and trauma, for Superman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.