Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman's Speedforce

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jeremy1989

Folks, we all know Supes can be faster than a speeding bullet. But I wonder, is Superman fast enough to achieve the speedforce similar to the Flash?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Folks, we all know Supes can be faster than a speeding bullet. But I wonder Superman be fast enough to achieve the speedforce similar to the Flash?

Is it something you can achieve?

I always thought it was simply you're either a Speed Force conduit or you're not? Granted, you could probably break the "Speed Force Barrier" moving at high enough speeds, and perhaps exposure to the Speed Force would turn you into a conduit, but I think that's the only way it would work unless you otherwise somehow became a conduit, but I don't know if being fast enough is enough to be a conduit.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By SaintWildcard

Superman on multiple occasions has moved way faster than light which you would think would be the requirement to being able to enter the Speed Force.... but it's not. I'll let these two dorks explain @kidchipotle/@thetruebarryallen

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
    TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Fairly sure you're either connected to the speed-force as one of it's conduits or you're not, like ScouterV mentioned.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Fairly sure you're either connected to the speed-force as one of it's conduits or you're not, like ScouterV mentioned.

Thanks dork

Truth_Teller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you dont run fasst and then achieve the speed force. "thats not how that works. thats not how any of this works."

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speed is Flash's thing, and the Speed Force ensured it will remain rightly so.

dorukesin1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope he isn't connected with Speed Force Dimension

Avatar image for themanofsteelprime
    TheManofSteelPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman has no connection to the speed force. He moves at superluminal speeds because he can. But even with that speed, he is not half as fast as the Flash.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The only time Superman touched the Speed Force was in Smallville when he wore that special suit.

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

superman does not need the speed force. he is one of the fastest beings in the universe already.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeremy1989:

Well. Superman by all accounts can move billions of times the speed of light. But that doesn't mean he can simply get to the Speed Force, anymore than he can get to the dimension of the gods and the Monitors.

The Speed Force, exists as a higher dimension form of energy or whatever.

For Superman to enter the Speed Force he would've to analyse the Speed Force energy frequency emitted by the Flash and then he would have to be able to actually vibrate his atoms at the exact frequency and speed to enter it.

Something I'm not sure Superman can do, even if he tried.

I know that it would be cool if Superman could go all out in terms of speed on Earth. But he can't. If he did like the Flash, the impact wave created by Superman speed would destroy everything on Earth. Maybe even the planet itself.

And if Superman could go all out, he would operate in the order of Picoseconds. And seeing that a picosecond is to a second, what a second is to 3700 years. Superman could actually be everwhere at the same time, for all intended purposes. No force would be able to catch him or stop him. Not even the Flash I'd bet.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper:

Agreed. He doesn't really need it. He would just need to be able to go full speed on Earth. Which he can't for safety reasons.

If he could... Man. He would literally be everywhere at once. He'd move in the frame of a picosecond. That's so fast that thousands of years pass for him while the world stood completely still.

And seeing speed is the Flash thing. Writers will never allow Superman to be able to use his space speed on Earth.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No. He's really fast, but he's not a speedster.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought superman used a warp bubble sort of power he could move so fast and keep people and things safe around him by warping space time.

Not the same as flash whom uses speed force but Jay would use some power like that because he does not use the speed force as well just is very fast. Or the last thing I read on him said he did not.

So you see by the use of a warp bubble you do not obtain mass you simply pass unhindered through space time going as fast as you wish for as long as you wish.

Also a pretty good idea for space ships and so fourth and if you use the same principle you can use it for under water but that gets into a whole new field and lets keep this simple shale we?

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always thought superman used a warp bubble sort of power he could move so fast and keep people and things safe around him by warping space time.

Not the same as flash whom uses speed force but Jay would use some power like that because he does not use the speed force as well just is very fast. Or the last thing I read on him said he did not.

So you see by the use of a warp bubble you do not obtain mass you simply pass unhindered through space time going as fast as you wish for as long as you wish.

Also a pretty good idea for space ships and so fourth and if you use the same principle you can use it for under water but that gets into a whole new field and lets keep this simple shale we?

If I remember correctly, he just calculates how fast he can/could go without doing any damage, like creating a sonic boom. It's more just him knowing just how fast he can go while on the planet or in inhabited areas or with people in tow.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:
    @arthurkerr said:

If I remember correctly, he just calculates how fast he can/could go without doing any damage, like creating a sonic boom. It's more just him knowing just how fast he can go while on the planet or in inhabited areas or with people in tow.

superman's aura actually keeps people and objects that are near him safe. that's how he is able to carry things like planes and mountains without them crumbling under their own weight. the writers should just let him be able to use that as an excuse to let him go all out on earth. it's a comic book. why limit him artificially on earth?

Lens_of_Truth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well if superman and flash fused then seperated would superman retain the force?

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthurkerr said:

That was one of the initial theories. That he somehow controlled gravity, but it was soon explained that even if he did he wouldn't be able to fly has he does.

Then came two theories that DC never agreed to or discredit them. The bio-energy-aura manipulation and of course simple telekinesis.

The main problem with a warp bubble theory, is that if Superman used it on Earth, simulations done on supercomputers, about warping space-time inside the Earth atmosphere would most likely create space-time distortions everywhere near the bubble. Matter would simply be changed on a subatomic level or simply distorted. Even inside the bubble, the faster Superman moved the hotter he and everything inside the bubble would become.

@battle123axe said:

@heavenlydarkdragon: actually the flash has picosecond and attosecond feats.

True. But the Flash doesn't have to worry about things like inertia, sonic and supersonic booms, Superman on the other hand has to think about those things.

@christianrapper said:

superman does not need the speed force. he is one of the fastest beings in the universe already.

But seeing Superman exposures to exotic types of energy in the New 52 and in the PC. Wouldn't be cool to see what would happen to him if somehow he was exposed or thown into the Speed Force? Just to see what would happen.

superman's aura actually keeps people and objects that are near him safe. that's how he is able to carry things like planes and mountains without them crumbling under their own weight. the writers should just let him be able to use that as an excuse to let him go all out on earth. it's a comic book. why limit him artificially on earth?

Because if DC made it possible for Superman to go all out in terms of speed. The Flash would no longer hold the title of fastest man alive.

So they chain Superman. And reduce how and where he can use his powers.

In fact you and I know that if Superman lived to his full potential, he wouldn't need to be in a League. He would be a one man team. Or at least the reason for him being in a team would be reduce to him feeling comfortable around people like him.

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but by tapping into the Speed Force, Flash can move infinitely fast, right? So if Superman can't connect to the Speed Force he should have an upper limit on how fast he can go, anyone have any idea what that may be?

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roaris87 said:

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but by tapping into the Speed Force, Flash can move infinitely fast, right? So if Superman can't connect to the Speed Force he should have an upper limit on how fast he can go, anyone have any idea what that may be?

The fastest feat of Superman that we know of. And it's one of the most current one's. Was when he exit the black hole he threw himself in, together with Brainiac. According to comics Superman exit at the far end of the visible universe. Tens of billions of light years away from Earth.

And he took two months to get back at Earth. That means in terms of speed Superman had to be traveling hundred of billions of times the speed of light to get to Earth in that timeframe.

Now I don't know about you, but when we start to enter in the magnitude of billions, I stop to try to measure or compare feats.

And remember Superman when he entered the black hole he was not at full power, because he was using a lot of his own power to fight back the Doomsday virus inside of him. But we do know he came out cured of the virus, somewhere in far end of the visible universe and then started speeding in FTL to arrive on Earth two months after. And he still had plenty of energy to spare. So for all we know he can actually go faster, and probably wasn't to conserve his energy.

Has for the Flash speed being infinite. I don't need to be a Flash expert to know that's not possible. There's no such thing has infinite speed. There could be FTL, SFTL (super faster than light) or even ZPT (zero point travel=basically the same principle has a wormhole where you can go from point A to B instantly) but infinite speed... That's mathematically impossible.

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heavenlydarkdragon: I meant infinite speed more in the sense that he can always seem to push himself and move faster, though I do agree there has to be some limit on how fast he can move. Another thing to think about, can Superman run faster or fly faster? Flash is limited in that he can't fly, or survive in space.

christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roaris87 said:

comic are dumb sometimes. superman will go as fast as he needs to go to move the plot along. he will also get hit by a street leveler because the plot needs it, too.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@christianrapper:

Yeah.

Sad but true. Sometimes feats only happen or don't happen, just because the writer has it in his mind that that event has to happen in that specific way.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well I for one think Flash is unique in he can turn on a dime moving at the speed of light or just under.

I do not get the whole mass thing for the speed force should let him bypass the mass issue.

Superman however is not the same and would cause all hell to break out if he hit you after moving full speed building up mass as he went punching like a white dwarf star.

He can still turn pretty well but not as well , still his flying is another issue all together warping space time and so fourth flash cannot fly so moving so fast is not practical what so ever. Mind and calculations all split second timing the brain would have to keep up and few really take into account just how fast that really is. He could take away captain colds gun , shoot him with it be back home and watching tv before he even had the thought to pull the trigger.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well I for one think Flash is unique in he can turn on a dime moving at the speed of light or just under.

I do not get the whole mass thing for the speed force should let him bypass the mass issue.

Superman however is not the same and would cause all hell to break out if he hit you after moving full speed building up mass as he went punching like a white dwarf star.

He can still turn pretty well but not as well , still his flying is another issue all together warping space time and so fourth flash cannot fly so moving so fast is not practical what so ever. Mind and calculations all split second timing the brain would have to keep up and few really take into account just how fast that really is. He could take away captain colds gun , shoot him with it be back home and watching tv before he even had the thought to pull the trigger.

The Speed Force is essencial to bypass the special relativity effects. More precisely that the closer any object gets to the speed of light the more mass it gains, until it reaches a point, at 100% the speed of light, the mass apparently becomes infinite. So the Flash would need infinite energy to move just at the speed of light.

But he doesn't, neither does Superman. Both have their unique way to move at great speeds even at FTL.

The Flash advantage comes from the Speed Force, that essencially allows him to speed up and slow down, without having to worry about inertia. Also the SF also grants him a kind of protective aura, that enables him to use his speed for punching at speeds that would normally break every bone in his arm's, quite convinientely if you'd ask me. And he can vibrate his atoms to frequencies that allow him to move through dimensions and time.

Superman on the other hand. Regardless if he speeds up by the use of telekinesis or he can use his bioelectric aura, to block the effects of gravity on him. That's what enables him to also move and sublight and FTL. The main difference is that when Superman acelerates he still has to take into account things like inertia and shockwaves. He can't go near the speed of light in a inhabited zone, without destroying everything in that area. That's why when moving at the speed of light or FTL is something he only does in space.

Even if he was to move at the speed of light at the upper atmosphere, the friction of his speed would ignite the very atoms in the atmosphere. That's why we see him always being cautious about controlling his speed inside Earth atmosphere.

In the past it was also shown that Superman can also vibrate the atoms in his body to reach nearby dimensions to our own.

But one thing is clear about both the Flash and Superman. They can somehow block the special relativity effects. When they move at light speed or higher, they don't gain mass. If they did, then they wouldn't be able to move at those speeds.

And the Flash has the upper hand in terms of speed, because the SF enables him to safely speed up without having to worry about causing mass destruction on his path.

If Superman learned a way to manipulate is own bio-field or TK (whatever you prefer to believe) to not only block out gravity but also not interact with the atoms around him, then like the Flash he'd be able to speed up all out, in any area, without having to worry about causing mass destruction on his path. Although writers will never do it, because that would put Superman on the same level has the Flash.

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
    deactivated-59c716930b8a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@self-dceit said:

but flying is superman's thing and flying fast is always his thing and should remain so.

Avatar image for deactivated-59c716930b8a6
    deactivated-59c716930b8a6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dreadpool10 said:
    @self-dceit said:

but flying is superman's thing and flying fast is always his thing and should remain so.

Let me rephrase what Self-dceit said. Speed is not necessarily Flash's thing, but the Speed-Force is.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arthurkerr said:
    @dreadpool10 said:
    @self-dceit said:

Let me rephrase what Self-dceit said. Speed is not necessarily Flash's thing, but the Speed-Force is.

its ok truth be known I do not like the speed force lol....let flash keep it. I like for flash to have to slow down before picking up somebody and running fast again no blur bam thank you. Same for superman pretty much stopping almost the only exception to this rule is if they are falling already then they simply match speed and save the day. Or being thrown makes things even better. To try to save somebody and hit them at some speeds would more then likely just kill them the car would do less damage or truck if it where to hit the poor soul then superman or flash would hitting them at the speed of sound yet alone close to the speed of light.

Avatar image for kryptonianprime
    KryptonianPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dreadpool10 said:
    @arthurkerr said:
    @dreadpool10 said:
    @self-dceit said:

its ok truth be known I do not like the speed force lol....let flash keep it. I like for flash to have to slow down before picking up somebody and running fast again no blur bam thank you. Same for superman pretty much stopping almost the only exception to this rule is if they are falling already then they simply match speed and save the day. Or being thrown makes things even better. To try to save somebody and hit them at some speeds would more then likely just kill them the car would do less damage or truck if it where to hit the poor soul then superman or flash would hitting them at the speed of sound yet alone close to the speed of light.

Exactly.

Like in these two scenes...

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

If Superman powers don't include a kind of bioelectric aura he can somehow manipulate to some extent or somekind of TK field then Bruce wouldn't be throwing up into the sea, but instead he'd have been desintegrated.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.