Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman's durability / invulnerability / Strength and Stamina ?

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
    termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By termiteone4ever

Now over the years. I have been a Superman fan. Now i know this for fact his invulnerability saves and protect him from various thing even energy blast even reality been warped. Now in comics now a days there has been so much low showings and the make so much things can hurt him physically. Durability at time i see this work but plenty of times i dont even get why certain hits even affect him. His strength i understand varies from writer to writer but the way they limit his strength to the basic of lifting and pulling but when its something impossible he is making it happen. Now stamina , When does superman get tired. In comics they trying to make him more Human than ever. I recall a comic with him and wonder woman fought for hundreds of years in Asgard he even had Thor's hammer growing a beard and all. Now what i dont understand him been weak to magic and able to use it. I should say vulnerable to it. There is so much i question as they change superman. I am not saying they should Make him Invincible but make his Enemies Stronger. Maintain his powers and invulnerabilities. His strength has always had no limits but weaken him down ot where people can guess the limit come on now lol

Let me know the Views of some of you guys out there.

MutenRoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MutenRoshi

I think he's now become a worthless A-hole

He had huge potential with the golden age structure of smallville but they blew it

and he was cool was in the 80s when Reeve played him and his cartoons are ok

but now he's done, his stories are like Hulk comics filled with PIS feats so writers can keep fanboys happy, SUPERMAN HAS COMPLETELY JUMPED THE SHARK

example being learning martial arts in Asgard for thousands of years just so his fanwankers can claim he's a better fighter than Batman

Lois is also so outdated, her dinosaur personality does not fit with the modern era and how girls and women get stronger, more realistic roles

I'd also like to see other characters like Lanterns and Wonder Woman and Manhunter save the day for a change

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Jekylhyde14

Superman is pretty inexhaustible. My theory is that it has something to do with his cells being powered by the yellow sun. As long as he's under yellow sunlight his battery is continually recharging and he doesn't have to worry about tiring. However, he does get tired from time to time. In Superman #365, he' gone so long without rest that he does start to feel the effects of sleep depravation. Supergirl worries because she learns that this makes his judgement subject to some decimal points worth of error as a result. Because he's Superman and his decisions are potentially world altering, this makes any mistake in judgement that much more damaging. It turns out that Superman does make a mistake: He misses the fact that Supergirl has been exposed to Red Kryptonite making her dangerously paranoid. She tries to kill him and he has to subdue and cure her. This convinces him to get some sleep. So Superman does get sleepy and the results can be damaging.

I've never read the issue where he and Wonder Woman are in Asgard, though. But I'd like to. It sounds pretty cool. Let me know what issues that happened in if you can remember.

And, for the record, Grant Morrison's Action Comics is the best in-continuity Superman story written in years. Only sensationalists would describe it as being like the Hulk.

termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By termiteone4ever

@MutenRoshi said:

I think he's now become a worthless A-hole

He had huge potential with the golden age structure of smallville but they blew it

and he was cool was in the 80s when Reeve played him and his cartoons are ok

but now he's done, his stories are like Hulk comics filled with PIS feats so writers can keep fanboys happy, SUPERMAN HAS COMPLETELY JUMPED THE SHARK

example being learning martial arts in Asgard for thousands of years just so his fanwankers can claim he's a better fighter than Batman

Lois is also so outdated, her dinosaur personality does not fit with the modern era and how girls and women get stronger, more realistic roles

I'd also like to see other characters like Lanterns and Wonder Woman and Manhunter save the day for a change

This is true . I never even notice that with Lois lane i don't pay her much mind anymore. Yes i recall him going to Asgard and having the Thors Hammer and fighting for years with out growing old only grew a beard . Thor is that series looks very powerful. I dont see Superman beating that Thor. Thats true they should give more shine to other characters more often especially Aquaman and Hawkman and girl.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By PowerHerc

Superman's abilities are of the highest possible level.

He's the strongest superhero ever.

He has near limitless stamina.

His durability/invulnerability is susceptible only to Kryptonite, Red solar energy, magic and others of comparable physical power such as a fellow Kryptonian.

homeslice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By homeslice

@PowerHerc said:

His durability/invulnerability is susceptible only to Kryptonite, Red solar energy, magic and others of comparable physical power such as a fellow Kryptonian.

This 100%.

-The Renegade-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7  Edited By -The Renegade-

He used to be way too powerful, but in the new 52 he seems to be reasonably powerful (wtv that means). So far action comics has been good and even though I haven't read superman 1 and 2, people seem to be saying he's less powerful than before. I personally think he's going in a good direction (even if it's not been long enough to judge).

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Primmaster64
    @PowerHerc said:

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jekylhyde14

The issue where Superman and Wonder Woman fight in Asgard is Action Comics #761 if anyone else is curious (I looked it up for myself). That's going on my buy list. I also found this: http://www.supermanwonderwomanfanarchive.com/index.html My favorite part is the poetry section. You can thank me later.

Grant Morrison's Action Comics is still tops.

termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By termiteone4ever

@Jekylhyde14:

YOu the man Thank you . I was too lazy to search my list

Avatar image for victoriancuckoo
    victoriancuckoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By victoriancuckoo

I like what they're doing with his powers in 'action comics', he hasn't yet reached his full potential and it feels a bit more fun that way, at least to me.

Jekylhyde14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jekylhyde14

@termiteone4ever said:

@Jekylhyde14:

YOu the man Thank you . I was too lazy to search my list

No problem.

AgentofChaos1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.