Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman/Wonder Woman 16 discussion (Spoilers)

• 66 results
    SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

What a terrible ending to an otherwise good issue. I was really enjoying the issue until that cliche at the end.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

@sog7dc: why not? It's for Diana fans to get some feats. SM/WW is Diana's book, but with the hopes to bring Superman fans into the mix.

I'm sure Diana fans hated it.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SOG7dc

@sog7dc: why not? It's for Diana fans to get some feats. SM/WW is Diana's book, but with the hopes to bring Superman fans into the mix.

I'm just sick of evil/mind controlled Superman popping up everywhere

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Meh. I hate seeing this too, but at least with Diana it's something new.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

I'm about to drop this book....again lol

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this issue was written poorly. the scene where they are on the bridge took too long and they didnt do anything. it was awkward. The whole thing has been wonky lately.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

@superguy1591 said:

I'm just sick of evil/mind controlled Superman popping up everywhere

What Diana gets mind controlled?

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By johnqestion

It was Tomasi's best issue so far and Superman was badass on the bridge. An the person who said he did nothing...you can't be serious. The art was damn great. After Doomed took the book over it's about time we have a WW foe. You can't have SM villains hogging it all. Plus how about we decided after the next issue if SM turning to an ani-man was bad or good eh? Is his saving say Lois a zillion times not a cliche but it doesn't always mean it's always going to be a bad story? Come on. Let the arc play out.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FoamBorn

I'm sure you were enjoying it when Superman dispatched Magog and was on his way to save his girlfriend. Wonder Woman talked the talk but it was Superman that walked the walk, as I had anticipated. Still Superguy feels like he's got the short end of the stick somehow. Also now that we were given a more wonder woman-centric story after two superman-centric ones, everyone's dropping out. You guys are selfish

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

I'm sure you were enjoying it when Superman dispatched Magog and was on his way to save his girlfriend. Wonder Woman talked the talk but it was Superman that walked the walk, as I had anticipated. Still Superguy feels like he's got the short end of the stick somehow. Also now that we were given a more wonder woman-centric story after two superman-centric ones, everyone's dropping out. You guys are selfish

I did enjoy when he dispatched Magog but I really wish Magog put up more of a fight. I get wanting to make Superman look badass but, come on, at least make the threat formidable.

Clark wasn't going to save Diana; or rather he wasn't intentionally going to save her. He only ended up near her and Circe by accident and even then he was useless. Diana was playing possum the entire time just waiting to either learn more or for the proper moment.

Also, Wonder Woman looked great in this issue. Mahnke draws her wonderfully. He always has, really.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkman61288: I highly doubt the fight will be nearly as good as that one...but its close in the sense that a mind controlled Superman is attacking Wonder Woman.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

What a terrible ending to an otherwise good issue. I was really enjoying the issue until that cliche at the end.

yes the ending i did not like but all the rest was good.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By darkman61288

@foamborn said:

That does seem the case. The lowest point it sold before this arc began was WW# 6 at 43,303. But now it is in the 30s.

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By johnqestion

@foamborn said:

OMG, hell has frozen over, I agree with you partly. But he wasn't on his way to "save his girlfriend", anymore than Diana was on her way to save him. They were watching each other's back as they should. Or if it was a female hero doing the same for Diana would you get all angry too?

Jesus why do you some fans have to sound as if a team up has to be to be a pissing contest. No wonder some of you can't enjoy a story. Keeping score instead of reading and waiting for the arc to be over.

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

That does seem the case. The lowest point it sold before this arc began was WW# 6 at 43,303. But now it is in the 30s.

How do you account for the drop in Action and Batman/Superman as well? Superman fans dropping out on their own hero? Geoff's Superman had a shot in sales because people heard about the new power and uniform. Come on. There are more varied factors for sales moving up and or down. I wouldn't put it past people to be so confused by what DC is doing with Convergence that they not sure if the new 52 is finished or not. A lot of the books have dropped if you checked the charts. SM/WW is still ahead of some big team up books. Mind you that does not count digital. Unless DC pushing a book and or making some big deal about it as with the Superman suit, books are below radar. DC has not been pushing Tomasi and Mahnke as a team like say they did the Finches when there was a creative change. Last two Con not a soul was there from the new team to talk about SM/WW. I know of many reviewers on youtube who said they dropped SM/WW when Doomed took it over as well because they hated crossovers. So there is that issue too.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Superguy1591

@foamborn: How can Superman be the hero when Diana is the one doing the saving?

Who is the one in control again?

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Τhis arc has been a collectiveness of cliche with rushed execution.

Glad I dropped the title, unfortunately my subscription will continue until the next issue. From one hand I will get the end of the first arc, from the other I don't enjoy the title at all.

I don't know, everything in this title i awkward, the way they talk, they way the act, how Wonderstar became suddently Magog, how Circe appeared out of nowhere. This arc is so badly executed, that I really think I could do a better job if it was given to me.

I love how Circe says she wanted Magog to enter their ranks so they would trust him and that takes like half an issue :P
    Then we have the bridge, something that went for too long, seriously seeing Superman stuck to fix a bridge for two issues was rediculous.

*sigh* I had higher expectations from Tomasi. It makes me wonder though, If the writers just can't do it or if the concept is one of those that are better teased than executed. Because until now no writer made it look good.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Here we go again with both sides complaining about their character getting sold short.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc said:

I did enjoy when he dispatched Magog but I really wish Magog put up more of a fight. I get wanting to make Superman look badass but, come on, at least make the threat formidable.

Clark wasn't going to save Diana; or rather he wasn't intentionally going to save her. He only ended up near her and Circe by accident and even then he was useless. Diana was playing possum the entire time just waiting to either learn more or for the proper moment.

Also, Wonder Woman looked great in this issue. Mahnke draws her wonderfully. He always has, really.

She looks a bit "witchy", Mahnke's really grown on me but I do think his characters look a bit sour-faced. Anyway I'm really itching to see how Wonder Woman is going to deal with this situation because so far she's just talked the talk but didn't back it up.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn: How can Superman be the hero when Diana is the one doing the saving?

Who is the one in control again?

I honestly don't know what your problem is, I think it's that Superman is not outshining Wonder Woman quite as much as you like him to, I mean that's why y'all canceling your subscriptions now right?

She saved Superman from Zod because he downright refused to fight. The reason he refused to fight was so that Wonder Woman could have her 15 minutes, otherwise Superman, being so incomparably more powerful than her, would be on top of everything and she wouldn't necessary. Likewise, Magog sneakingly stabbed Superman in the chest and put him out of commission so Wonder Woman could step in and have 5 more minutes in the spotlight. That wound was an "equalizer".

Rest at ease, secure in the knowledge that Superman is still very much the BEST

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Superman on the bridge was epic.The guy was taking magic blast his weakness and he still hold the bridge talk about a hero.

The guy took 3 big hits from Magog staff .When that did not work Magog started hurling stuff at him.That what was fun to see.

This should be in battle of the week.

What fell short was the ending how many times do we have to See a control Superman VS WW.

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Self-DCeit

@dernman said:

@superguy1591: @sog7dc: Prediction. Next issue WW kicks SM butt.

I wouldn't go that far, but I certainly predict him being dealt with in a fight that will once again fail to show us why exactly a mind-controlled Superman is to be feared.

@johnqestion said:

Jesus why do you some fans have to sound as if a team up has to be to be a pissing contest. No wonder some of you can't enjoy a story. Keeping score instead of reading and waiting for the arc to be over.

This man speaks good sense. You should listen to him.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SOG7dc

@foamborn:

I don't know what it is but it seems the new 52 doesn't want Diana to be powerful. Her power levels are ambiguous and unquantifiable at best. I'd always imagined her congruent to Superman. It'd be great if she fought Superman like Superman fought Wraith, albeit with more skill and savvy than what Superman did. I'd also like to see her use the lasso and shield more. I'd be perfectly pleased if Diana were to incapacitate Superman in the next issue.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FoamBorn
    @sog7dc said:

@foamborn:

I don't know what it is but it seems the new 52 doesn't want Diana to be powerful. Her power levels are ambiguous and unquantifiable at best. I'd always imagined her congruent to Superman. It'd be great if she fought Superman like Superman fought Wraith, albeit with more skill and savvy than what Superman did. I'd also like to see her use the lasso and shield more. I'd be perfectly pleased if Diana were to incapacitate Superman in the next issue.

It's not the new 52, it's the Superman readership that precludes Wonder Woman from becoming anything other than chopped bloody liver. It's common knowledge that Superman champions a ton of chauvinistic ideas so no one, least of all a woman, shall constitute a threat to Superman's hegemony. For me Superman, and Batman, are like giant parasitic trees around which everything wither and dies because the trees deplete the soil to grow their luscious, spectacular looking leaves.

So I can confidently say that the likelihood of Wonder Woman dealing with Superman fair and square is about as high as the wealthiest 1% sharing their wealth with ethiopians ie. Zero, that would deal a death blow to this relationship.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn: I don't care who one-ups whom between Superman and Wonder Woman, I like both equally. In fact, I hate when their fights are one sided.

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkman61288 said:

@foamborn said:

How do you account for the drop in Action and Batman/Superman as well? Superman fans dropping out on their own hero? Geoff's Superman had a shot in sales because people heard about the new power and uniform. Come on. There are more varied factors for sales moving up and or down. I wouldn't put it past people to be so confused by what DC is doing with Convergence that they not sure if the new 52 is finished or not. A lot of the books have dropped if you checked the charts. SM/WW is still ahead of some big team up books. Mind you that does not count digital. Unless DC pushing a book and or making some big deal about it as with the Superman suit, books are below radar. DC has not been pushing Tomasi and Mahnke as a team like say they did the Finches when there was a creative change. Last two Con not a soul was there from the new team to talk about SM/WW. I know of many reviewers on youtube who said they dropped SM/WW when Doomed took it over as well because they hated crossovers. So there is that issue too.

The crossover is done and sales didn't recover in fact sales were higher during the Doomed arc except the first issue of Sm/WW.

And you are right about Action and BM/SM dropping, in fact the entire Superman line is dropping hard, however the romance of Superman and Wonder Woman was given this OMG this is the greatest thing we did ever and it is not doing that well.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

Oh my.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mind Controlled Superman AGAIN?

Thank GOD I dropped the title a few issues ago.

Does anybody else feel like Nu52Superman should learn Torquasm-Vo & Torquasm-Rao, with how many times he has been mind controlled?

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't please everyone

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga said:

Does anybody else feel like Nu52Superman should learn Torquasm-Vo & Torquasm-Rao, with how many times he has been mind controlled?

Didn't Orion already place mental barriers in him so he couldn't be mind control again in Superman 20?

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd: Can't say. I ignored most of the Scott Lobdell run, thank god.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

@jogga said:

Didn't Orion already place mental barriers in him so he couldn't be mind control again in Superman 20?

I had forgotten abought that....so did DC, apparently.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jogga: I gave up at 20 myself, but Orion did use the Mother Box to put barriers in place but I guess magic finds a way round that.

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/4358839.html

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

@deranged_midget said:

Oh my.

What troubles you?

Nothing of import my friend :)

Just reading along and soaking in the different opinions.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know, man, I like the series but there are still some things Wonder Woman in particular say and do that don't always sit right with me.

Self-DCeit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_kidd said:

Fear the power of muh-muh-magic!

@foamborn said:

It's not the new 52, it's the Superman readership that precludes Wonder Woman from becoming anything other than chopped bloody liver. It's common knowledge that Superman champions a ton of chauvinistic ideas so no one, least of all a woman, shall constitute a threat to Superman's hegemony.

See, you would have made sense pre-Crisis, and especially during the Silver Age, when, barring kryptonite, Superman babysat the entire League and had to rescue Wonder Woman from quicksand. Nowadays, however, with her consistently strong portrayals in the League and beyond, the only chauvinism is that of people who expect Wonder Woman to somehow be Superman's exact equal or even superior, when it is historically, narratively and meta-fictionally established that Superman is stronger, faster, more powerful and much more durable. Not because he's a man, but because he's Superman. It's his thing. If that makes her chopped liver in your eyes, or makes you think that her skillset doesn't serve as an equalizer, then you don't know how to appreciate your heroes in any terms other than them one-upping others, apparently.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

See, you would have made sense pre-Crisis, and especially during the Silver Age, when, barring kryptonite, Superman babysat the entire League and had to rescue Wonder Woman from quicksand. Nowadays, however, with her consistently strong portrayals in the League and beyond, the only chauvinism is that of people who expect Wonder Woman to somehow be Superman's exact equal or even superior, when it is historically, narratively and meta-fictionally established that Superman is stronger, faster, more powerful and much more durable. Not because he's a man, but because he's Superman. It's his thing. If that makes her chopped liver in your eyes, or makes you think that her skillset doesn't serve as an equalizer, then you don't know how to appreciate your heroes in any terms other than them one-upping others, apparently.

Your head is just too far up your arse and I think you're past the point of salvage, dceit. If you're gonna sling mud at me every day your life now, do it on the basis of something I actually wrote and take ownership of, not this galling recurring allegation that I'm some female supremacist b!tch and whatnot. As far as I can tell, it's YOUR favorite character that systematically one-ups his colleagues to consolidate his status and from what I've gleaned you quite enjoy it so I think you're projecting your egotistical greed onto me actually

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#43  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl

@foamborn said:

@self-dceit said:

Your head is just too far up your arse and I think you're past the point of salvage, dceit. If you're gonna sling mud at me every day your life now, do it on the basis of something I actually wrote and take ownership of, not this galling recurring allegation that I'm some female supremacist b!tch and whatnot. As far as I can tell, it's YOUR favorite character that systematically one-ups his colleagues to consolidate his status and from what I've gleaned you quite enjoy it so I think you're projecting your egotistical greed onto me actually

Can we just agree that there both amazing characters in there own right and no one gets mad at each other.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i wonder how Diana is going to defeat clark next month. Is she going to have to incap him...again?

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I kinda liked the issue.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

i wonder how Diana is going to defeat clark next month. Is she going to have to incap him...again?

"Again". Last time it happened was 10 years ago? but the wounds are obviously still fresh.

She will fight him a little bit and fail, then she'll come up with something, I don't know, but she won't best Superman.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

@sodamyat said:

"Again". Last time it happened was 10 years ago? but the wounds are obviously still fresh.

She will fight him a little bit and fail, then she'll come up with something, I don't know, but she won't best Superman.

"Again"

because it just happened In the Doomed story arc where she knocked him down, tied him up, and took him to space before he could react.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sodamyat said:

"Again"

because it just happened In the Doomed story arc where she knocked him down, tied him up, and took him to space before he could react.

Why didn't she do the same when he almost laid waste to a village later on, instead of opting for decapitation

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would not mind him just over coming the mind control and they both saving the day as a team.Like the title says team.

Superman has come through worse and so has Wonder Women.

SodamYat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@foamborn said:

@sodamyat said:

"Again"

Why didn't she do the same when he almost laid waste to a village later on, instead of opting for decapitation

Cause the writers thought the readers would get tired of seeing the same thing twice in the same story? How would I know? Im not a writer for DC.

Back on topic: Yes, "Again".

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.