Superman: Why all the hating?

• 166 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by sinestro_GL (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually don't understand why Superman has so many haters.

Many people say he's overpowered, but in my humble opinion, that would only be significant if the villains he fought were like the Joker, Penguin or Two Face. He has to deal with the likes of Brainiac, Zod, Darkseid, Doomsday, and many many more who would be able to crush the Earth if it weren't for heroes like Kal-El.

...and it's not like he solos all his fights. For anyone that has read Superman comics over the years, you'd have notice that Superman does receive help from his supporting cast in Metropolis, the JLA, the Legion of Superheroes, etc.

On top of all of this, Superman is such a loveable guy (pre-DCnU anyway, or at least so far). Many readers have also criticised Superman's unwavering moral code. Is it such a bad thing that we have a good guy is who, for lack of a better word, a good guy? It's also true that Clark is such a sweet and sincere guy. His relationship with the people of Metropolis (as both Superman and Clark Kent) is admirable, and how can you not appreciate his love for Lois Lane? It seems that in today's world, people tend to prefer the brooding loner types - who are hardly more relateable.

I've actually been a bit disappointed with all the character changes that DC have brought to Superman - making him more like Batman (possibly due to the pressure of Batman's popularity), and less like the Big Blue Boy Scout I love....but it's still early days, and I might just be a little over-anxious.

Superman severely suffers from a lack of appreciation, and I hope the future is certainly brighter for him. Hopefully, next year's cinematic release of 'The Man of Steel' can do for Kal-El what 'The Dark Knight' did for Batman.

But, 'till then. Here's my salute to you Superman...a fan with an undying love, dedicating his first blog to you.

Up, up and away!

#1 Edited by venomoushatred1001 (12273 posts) - - Show Bio

Because hes a douche.

End of Thread.

#2 Posted by Kallarkz (3295 posts) - - Show Bio

People like him and people hate him. Same goes for every other thing in the Universe.

#3 Posted by MTHarman (725 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's a fact,.... somebody like Superman doesn't have so many haters.

#4 Posted by The_Tree (8178 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_GL: I totally feel you, and he does receive a bit too much hate. Among the many comic book characters that are being written as "dark" and "edgy," I find his optimism and ultimate goodness refreshing. I'll always love Big Blue, powerset, morality, tights, and all.

#5 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1535 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

@sinestro_GL: I totally feel you, and he does receive a bit too much hate. Among the many comic book characters that are being written as "dark" and "edgy," I find his optimism and ultimate goodness refreshing. I'll always love Big Blue, powerset, morality, tights, and all.

this!!!

#6 Posted by sinestro_GL (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kallarkz: But the problem with Superman is that there are too many that hate, not dislike, not indifferent to, but hate. That, my fellow Viner, is the problem.

@The_Tree: Thank Rao for that :)

#7 Posted by joshmightbe (24800 posts) - - Show Bio

@venomoushatred1001: Batman is DC's second biggest douche topped only by Hal Jordan and Guy Gardener who are tied for first

#8 Posted by Onemoreposter (4104 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Yeah, but Guy is a loveable douche. Hal since rebirth is just...irritating.

@sinestro_GL: The haters are just more vocal. There are far more fans. It's why Smallville broke cable television records when it debuted and ran for 10 seasons. It's why Superman Returns grossed 390 mil (we certainly know it wasn't because it was a great movie). Superman has appeared in more media since conception than any other hero including multiple serials, 4 live action tv series (that I know of), 5 box office films, animated shows, radio, broadway, and those god awful video games that they keep pumping out. Action comics is the longest consecutive running comic book of all time. This symbol

is recognized in all corners of the earth. People who've never read a Superman comic or seen him on tv wear it in on their clothes. People may get worked up in batmania now and again, but Superman never goes out of style.

#9 Posted by Skunkstein (591 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

QFT!

I dig the edgy dark characters, and i appreciate Batman as much as the next guy. But whenever Big Blue shows up the pages just light up. Ive been a fan ever since i was a child.

The argument that his overpowered is BS, theres a million characters out there more powerful or as powerful as he. I can understand the fact that people say his an outdated character. Before the DCnU, he have had the same moral code and personality for the last 70 years, because he was the character he was (the original and the icon), he was proberly also the character with the least changes. I dont care man... Supes and me... we're all that, i have a huge bro crush on the man.

#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24800 posts) - - Show Bio

People for the most part like to hate on Superman because they think it makes them look cool to hate on things that are successful making Superman an easy target given the fact that he is widely recognized as the most Iconic super hero on Earth. And before the Batman fan boys jump all over me, remember they don't call them Bat Heroes do they? Superman has the same status in pop culture as Mickey Mouse or Santa Clause, If you go to a third world country where no one has ever seen a comic book wearing a T-shirt with that S shield on it everyone knows that's the Superman symbol.

#11 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12273 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@venomoushatred1001: Batman is DC's second biggest douche topped only by Hal Jordan and Guy Gardener who are tied for first

Agreed.

#12 Posted by joshmightbe (24800 posts) - - Show Bio

@venomoushatred1001: I like Batman on his own or just with Robin but with DC it's gotten to the point where I can't stand him in groups because he's always giving the same" look how great I am and how useless you are without me" crap.

#13 Posted by SuperShafe (470 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone who can't connect to superman needs to read "It's a bird" by steven teauge.

#14 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12273 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@venomoushatred1001: I like Batman on his own or just with Robin but with DC it's gotten to the point where I can't stand him in groups because he's always giving the same" look how great I am and how useless you are without me" crap.

Jason Todd is just as bad, in my opinion.

#15 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

Im a huge fan of Superman and I get terribly upset when I see haters, hating on Superman. I was pretty cheesed off by an article I read recently and I'll be writing more thoughts about it and defence against the world's greatest superhero.

#16 Posted by Deranged Midget (17987 posts) - - Show Bio

Haters gonna hate.

@joshmightbe said:

Now now, no need for accusations.

#17 Posted by joshmightbe (24800 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: If a mortal man is standing in a room full of gods claiming he's better than them and they'd be lost without him is kind of definitive doucheness

#18 Posted by termiteone4ever (8270 posts) - - Show Bio

@UltimateSMfan said:

@The_Tree said:

this!!!

WEll said

#19 Posted by Deranged Midget (17987 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Sure, Batman is a little cocky, but making accusations towards other characters makes you seem less mature. Not everyone is going to like Superman and there is little to do to change someone's mind.

#20 Edited by drgnx (3568 posts) - - Show Bio

It is all about balance, I think fan-boys breed haters. I find many fanboys will hate on characters that can beat their precious favorite, not all, but enough. You will see Superman beat someone in a thread, 2 days later, Superman with reduced powers VS a magic user, surfer, and like 2 people he can stalemate at full powers (and all at the same time). Okay, I exaggerated but you can see my point.

As for the douche comments, lets face it, the person who was the least douche-like on the JL was probably MM, that is why they had to remove him, he was to "cool" for his team =P.

#21 Posted by joshmightbe (24800 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm making no judgments on whose the better character but Superman is definitely a better person than Batman and here's why, Humility, when Batman is around he insists that his way is the best way and will tolerate no doubts, Superman actually takes the opinions of others into account, Gratitude, someone helps Superman in any way and he thanks them, someone helps Batman, he acts as if it was their solemn duty and they should be grateful he accepted their help. Humanity, Batman may be physically human but Superman is more human like in every other detail, Superman isn't who he is, that's what he does. He'd much rather just be Clark Kent the reporter than be the savior of humanity where as Batman is all Batman is, his secret identity and his life away from the costume is all for the sake of making his work as Batman more effective. Bruce Wayne is just a halloween costume he throws on when he needs to pretend to be a person

#22 Posted by joshmightbe (24800 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget: I never said I don't like Batman, I just don't like him on teams

#23 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I do agree with this, except I think things have changed a little now.

In Justice League we haven't seen any batgod moment and it seems like everyone has played a part in the battle with Darkseid. I remember people cheering when #6 came out and there wasn't a batgod moment.

#24 Posted by joshmightbe (24800 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: I have a lot of catching up on the new 52

#25 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: Do check out Justice League. It instantly made up for years of Batman owning Superman.

#26 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1535 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: ur absolutely right dude,if u check out the preview for JL#8 with green arrow theres a good moment where u see supes being the good person he is,thnk god geofff john wrote that part n not only stupid cheezy lines for the most powerful (and Awesomest!!!!!)member of the team.

and batman's cool,definitely i love batman!! but come on he's no superman theres no comparison anyone who says batmans a better character can fuck off! Superman is the representation of the best humanity has to offer(with superpowers).i wont even state points as to why all this hate is stupid.they can all be found by reading all the positive comments before this one.

#27 Posted by CATPANEXE (9272 posts) - - Show Bio

I think more people just have preferences, and whether it's for or against something, that's okay because it what makes us all different.

It's how they voice that preference, as well as the usual taking fictional characters a little more seriously then one ought to that comes off challenging,

or in the least, someone is just being lighthearted and kidding around.

Simple as ignoring the attempts, they're empty gestures anyways.

#28 Edited by Dernman (16036 posts) - - Show Bio

What makes me annoyed is not so much the fans but when writers live by the same belief and it effects their writing. Even the ones who don't hate him are effected by bad impressions of him so they don't know what do do with Superman.

#29 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

You don't have to like Superman, he doesn't have to be your favorite character but if you don't respect him I don't think you have any business calling yourself a comic fan

#30 Posted by Dernman (16036 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish I remembered the different places I have seen writers talking about how boring and overpowered Superman is.

#31 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15138 posts) - - Show Bio

look at the picture.

now laugh
#32 Posted by joshmightbe (24800 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarkKnightDetective: look at this picture

#33 Posted by Primmaster64 (21074 posts) - - Show Bio

Because people are idiots.

#34 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (15138 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: What.the.F***. I think I just died a little.

#35 Posted by BlackArmor (6138 posts) - - Show Bio

@Primmaster64 said:

Best explanation ever

#36 Edited by Thorion88 (302 posts) - - Show Bio

http://www.ign.com/top/comic-book-heroes/1

Read the comments on that site and you'll see morons at their highest caliber.

But as with anything, there is always a basis for people's hatred. Superman has had both good stories and bad, stories where he's belittled other characters existence, and others where he is rather pointless to even be in. But any form of complaint you can make against Supes can be applied to any popular comic character.

#37 Posted by Primmaster64 (21074 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackArmor said:

@Primmaster64 said:

Best explanation ever

XD
#38 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13740 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Superman. Some people just hate characters who are better than them/their characters.

#39 Posted by sinestro_GL (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx: @joshmightbe: @Thorion88: @Avenging-X-Bolt:

But why hate? This is my point. Of all the reasons mentioned by users in the comments section, none of them are sizeable enough to justify hatred towards Kal-El. Hate is what you feel towards the Joker for killing Jason Todd, hate is what you feel when Darkseid killed Dan Turpin in Superman: TAS, hate is what you feel when you read Frank Miller's All Star Batman and Robin...but is being strong a real reason?

#40 Posted by Static Shock (47630 posts) - - Show Bio

@UltimateSMfan said:

@joshmightbe: ur absolutely right dude,if u check out the preview for JL#8 with green arrow theres a good moment where u see supes being the good person he is,thnk god geofff john wrote that part n not only stupid cheezy lines for the most powerful (and Awesomest!!!!!)member of the team.

and batman's cool,definitely i love batman!! but come on he's no superman theres no comparison anyone who says batmans a better character can fuck off! Superman is the representation of the best humanity has to offer(with superpowers).i wont even state points as to why all this hate is stupid.they can all be found by reading all the positive comments before this one.

No cursing, please.

#41 Edited by drgnx (3568 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_GL: When you're number one, Hater are going to hate. It is almost a rule of thumb.

#42 Posted by vicioushero (163 posts) - - Show Bio

This thread is a joke, the DCU gets treated like religion here at the Vine. Especially Batman and Superman. I'd like to know why so many of the Marvel characters are underrated around here.

#43 Posted by KalTheHokage_2007 (651 posts) - - Show Bio

I understand many of the views here. I'm of the belief a lot of the Superman haters see Superman as being too perfect, too powerful. Personally, I am a giant Superman fan, and wouldn't have him any other way. He needs to be just that powerful because he's the archetypal superhero, blueprint by which other heroes are created.

#44 Posted by Gambit1024 (9843 posts) - - Show Bio

Haters gonna hate. They're just jealous of his awesomeness.

#45 Posted by RyuHayabusa (2019 posts) - - Show Bio

@drgnx said:

@sinestro_GL: When you're number one, Hater are going to hate. It is almost a rule of thumb.

QFT

#46 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (944 posts) - - Show Bio

'coz superman is just BAAAOOOOOWWWWWWSSSS.... I never read superman comics from Pre-New 52 since i started reading comics from, well the New 52.... But so far, i gotta say I like Superman... he just seems bad ass. I do however like the Superman from the JL animated series just a tad bit more... hence why i decided to read comics.

#47 Posted by EdBlank (634 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman "hater" here. First of all, being a hater doesn't quite mean what you think it would. I am a LeBron James hater (living in NE OH). Doesn't mean I want any harm to befall the young man, I just hope he loses. Forever. With Super my so called hate runs a little different: I am just bored beyond words with the idea that he can simply do anything. Sure Flash is fast but Super just happens to be just as fast. This dude has superpowers coming out of almost every orifice. Not just strong breath, can inhale all the air on the planet. That is freaking STUPID. Yes his villians are very strong too, but they HAVE to be or there is no story. Super could end all crime everywhere on Earth by next week if he were dealing with all regular humans. Look at Doomsday: invented solely for the purpose of being able to knock Superman into a coma. So yeah, his villians are just an extension of his overpower. What all comic creators should do ASAP is just simply rate the characters power level and each writer refers back to it when dreaming up feats. That way Super could be really strong, but if he was rated 100 then you know that three guys who are rated 35 have a decent chance against him. The way it is now, his power level rises to match any threat and that is BORING. No drama.

#48 Posted by Primmaster64 (21074 posts) - - Show Bio

You really never read a Superman comic have you?

#49 Posted by sethysquare (3842 posts) - - Show Bio
@Primmaster64 said:
You really never read a Superman comic have you?
#50 Edited by YoggSaron (812 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of the baseless Superman hate I see come from people who don't read comics, so sites such as this are not nearly as bad as some other places on the internet. The average person's opinion of a superhero is all about outside media exposure, and most notably, cinema. Batman has had two wildly successful, dark, and impressive movies since 2005, with a third one coming that should at least remain satisfactory.

Superman on the other hand has had one movie in recent years, and it was unbelievably dull, even for a huge Superman fan like me. Instead of introducing the public to a villain that Superman could actually punch, Bryan Singer instead chooses to use the same tired Lex Luthor with green Kryptonite story, and the result was a cure for insomnia. From this movie, every Joe-Schmoe out there thinks that Superman is boring because, as you know, if you've seen Superman Returns you know everything there is to know about the Man of Steel.

Back to my main point, the people who say Superman is boring are typically people who have never read a Superman comic in their life, and base their entire opinion based on one sub-par movie, and thus are ignorant of what Superman is really like.

Here's hoping that Man of Steel, even if it completely misses the point of Superman (which, based only on what we've heard so far, it probably will), will be an exciting film that will get the general public to see that Superman can be a deep and exciting character.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.