Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman VS Smallville

Nick-SV(ril)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nick-SV(ril)

Just saw that on cracked.com , and I lol'd 

No Caption Provided
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By johnny_spam

Yeah they blast the show pretty bad on that feature not that they are wrong really. 

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#3  Edited By Dracade102

This Thread Deserves an A+
    Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

true, but i still like smallville

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smallville did a good job of attracting millions of viewers (mostly teens and adults) for about 10 years so it was doing many things right. no tights, no flight and no code name were quite useful for a teen drama show.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By deaditegonzo

I dont like Smallville, at all, but that chart is a little inaccurate to be fair.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smallville tv was pretty faithful to the John Byrne reboot same as the earlier Teri Hatcher Lois show. John Byrne reboot had a young Clark Kent in Smallville with no costume, no code name which was followed by Smallville tv. Kryptonite giving super powers is not far fetched since many super heroes and villains in dc/marvel got powers from radiation. Earth 3 Ultraman got powers from kryptonite. The radio show Atoman also got super powers from kryptonite. I did not like Clark looking dumb/constipated every time he stumbled upon kryptonite which was very plentiful in the smallville tv show. I wished the smallville tv show had no silly kryptonite weakness.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad9d72d64170
    deactivated-5ad9d72d64170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smallville started interesting and would have had a lot of potential. Unfortunately, the potential has not been used. In my opinion, Smallville attracting millions of teens. That is the reason why strange scenes were seen: liaisons, frustration, conflicts with parents, school, etc; the usual teenager stuff. Clear that it couldn´t be a masterpiece. I do not want to be misunderstood: these things belong to a normal life. But it depends on how they are staged. In Smallville they were filmed for a specific target audience.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm standing by what I always say about smallville. When its good , it pretty freaking good. When its bad , It pretty franking horrible.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

TRUTH

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Smallville was enjoyable and it helped boost popularity in Superman for a time, even if it didn't lead people to read Superman comics.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smallville was enjoyable and it helped boost popularity in Superman for a time, even if it didn't lead people to read Superman comics.

Enjoyable to a point. Other than that though, I agree.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees: Well yeah, it became a little ridiculous at times, either with the drama or completely screwing with continuity as we know it, but it was an alternate time-line so I could handle it.

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees: Well yeah, it became a little ridiculous at times, either with the drama or completely screwing with continuity as we know it, but it was an alternate time-line so I could handle it.

Mostly I was referring to the drama and the fact that the ending was one of the biggest cop-outs I've ever seen in a series finale (nay, THE BIGGEST I've ever seen, but then again, I don't watch a lot of live action stuff). I didn't REALLY have a problem with the whole alternate continuity thing, just that Batman, WW, and Shazam never appeared.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mostly I was referring to the drama and the fact that the ending was one of the biggest cop-outs I've ever seen in a series finale (nay, THE BIGGEST I've ever seen, but then again, I don't watch a lot of live action stuff). I didn't REALLY have a problem with the whole alternate continuity thing, just that Batman, WW, and Shazam never appeared.

Haha, a lot of people were bummed out that Welling never appeared in the actual Superman suit and cheated his way out using CGI. As for the more popular characters such as Batman appearing, he couldn't due to the chance of it interfering with his live action films, or some corporate stuff like that :/

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees said:

Haha, a lot of people were bummed out that Welling never appeared in the actual Superman suit and cheated his way out using CGI. As for the more popular characters such as Batman appearing, he couldn't due to the chance of it interfering with his live action films, or some corporate stuff like that :/

Isn't that the same utter LOAD of BS that caused the Bat-Embargo (I.E., the lack of use for Batman Rogues) in Justice League? The hell kind of logic is that!?

Also: fuck Nolan and Christian Bale HARD when it comes to their views on animation and animation involving super heroes. Fuck. Them. SILLY!

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Deranged Midget

Isn't that the same utter LOAD of BS that caused the Bat-Embargo (I.E., the lack of use for Batman Rogues) in Justice League? The hell kind of logic is that!?

Also: fuck Nolan and Christian Bale HARD when it comes to their views on animation and animation involving super heroes. Fuck. Them. SILLY!

Watch the language mate!

And honestly, I'm not sure! Just that something with rights with these dudes made it so that the other dudes couldn't get this character on the show. Blah, blah, blah.

:P

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Chart's dumb. So they took some creative license with the show. So what?

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Tied the knot with some chick in vegas" lol

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be fair though, that's out of context and in the episode, he was affected by red k or something like that, I think.

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@consolemaster001 said:

To be fair though, that's out of context and in the episode, he was affected by red k or something like that, I think.

So he was roofied and tricked into marriage ?

HeWhoSees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hewhosees said:

@consolemaster001 said:

Not roofied...since no one did that to him...

I think he was wearing a class ring made out of red k which makes him either crazy and/or causes his inhibitions to slip and that's how that craziness happened if I remember right.

consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@consolemaster001 said:

@hewhosees said:

@consolemaster001 said:

Not roofied...since no one did that to him...

I think he was wearing a class ring made out of red k which makes him either crazy and/or causes his inhibitions to slip and that's how that craziness happened if I remember right.

I get what you mean. That was a joke.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

Yeah, this is kind of hugely stupid.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem I had with Smallville.....besides the teenage slant which I'm glad Arrow isn't following as strictly.....was that it never really seemed to have a direction following season 2/half-way through season 3. It was as if the writers simply didn't know what to do with the show after the initial premise and set-up and it clearly showed in seasons 3-6 with a general lack of forward momentum and constant changing of character portrayals/motivation (should have just left Lionel as an evil d*&! and been done with it). Just my opinion obviously but I think if they had a) not introduced Lois in s4; b) not made Lois completely unlikeable for 5+ seasons and then all of a sudden put Clark and Lois together; c) let Clark leave Smallville and travel the world at the end of s4 like he does in every origin story and pick the show up in Metropolis two or three years later, introducing Lois then who calls him "Smallville" and thus keeping the name of the show intact rather than some suggestions of calling it Metropolis; d) removed Lana as a focus.....seriously, the woman can not act and eventually giving her superpowers was a sin. Maybe that would have allowed the writers to keep the momentum of the show going rather than some very bad, painfully trudging seasons before the proto-justice league began kicking off (and even then it didn't save the show from slow story development).

But the list comparision definitely is a bit more biased than the comparisions really could be......and I don't really knock Smallville for the Jor-El push of his son actually using his powers because its a concept that came out of Superman: The Movie and nobody had a problem with it then, its just that Smallville made a very simple change complicated by writing a Clark that was constantly at odds with his father when he was doing near exactly what Jor-El wanted him to anyways. Which is why I always thought Jor-El's more "abusive" inclinations should have simply stayed as tests to see what kind of person Clark had become rather than been portrayed as his personality and mindset in his final years. That way tests could have been passed in the first four seasons and the show moved on from the creepy voice in the sky character that was given waaaaaaaaaay too much power for its concept.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once you accepted Smallville as an "elseworlds" story, it was a lot more enjoyable. It was a new take on the mythos. Sure, you had to deal with the teen drama/nighttime soap opera aspects of it, and maybe it was drawn out a bit too long, but overall it was a good show.

Avatar image for thetimestreamer
    theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By theTimeStreamer

superspeed for the win. couldve renamed it flash with ocassionally really bad red-eye.

PowerWoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just love kara,orz

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait... Smallville was supposed to be a Superman series all along? All this time I thought it was a cheap unfunny parody! Nyahahahahahahaha!

PCN24454

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Even the official continuity is inconsistent

Superman's original archenemy was Ultra-Humanite

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In one episode during the Zod season, they had black costume Clark doing matrix kung fu with fighting sticks like Nightwing. I miss matrix Smallville.

Avatar image for boogiesteven007
    boogiesteven007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By boogiesteven007

smallville season 10

ive just heard that Clark has s symbol on his jacket would give him later in life that he superman to everyone he knew as young adult and they mite reveal his secret, so having an S symbol on his jacket is bad idea, hello secret identity suppose remain a secret not revealing his secret that he is superman to friend or foe

Avatar image for boogiesteven007
    boogiesteven007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cineworld do crazy things to celebrate during the weekend release of the movie man of steel, all the staff whore costumes of superman

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

smallville season 10

ive just heard that Clark has s symbol on his jacket would give him later in life that he superman to everyone he knew as young adult and they mite reveal his secret, so having an S symbol on his jacket is bad idea, hello secret identity suppose remain a secret not revealing his secret that he is superman to friend or foe

he was always moving to fast for anyone to see him....that's why he was called the blur for a short period of time, because when he acted no one could see him. Only people who did were the leauge members, give or take a few civilians for the episode purposes. He pretty muchwore the jacket because he got tired of wearing his dark trenchcoat, needed something "brighter" and friendlier i guess.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

@deranged_midget said:

@hewhosees said:

Bruce Wayne did appear in Smallville...sorta. The character was introduced under a different name and it was supposed to be revealed eventually that he was Bruce, but then WB enforced their weird rule of having characters only in one media form at a time and so that plan was scrapped and the character was revealed to be working as a spy for Lex and then killed.

@ltbrd: Erca Durance is awesome, and her Lois was awesome

As far as the losing direction after the first 4 seasons... yeah. They didn't plan to go 10 years and they had their hands tied by various things over the year. It's hard to progress pass the initial premise when you're not allowed to go towards where the character should be going and where you were planning to go from the beginning. Those who like the series tend to feel that years 5-7 were the worst and it's because of this reason. It was also during this period or right around the end of this period when several key people were changed so that's why season 8-10 was different.

Also... that graphic should have listed "made super sonic sex causing earthquakes with a future super model" ^.^

symbiotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By symbiotic

@z3ro180 said:

I'm standing by what I always say about smallville. When its good , it pretty freaking good. When its bad , It pretty franking horrible.

Well said. I got into it about the second or third season and caught up. Then I followed it regularly. Towards the end there were lots of episodes where I was pretty embarassed to be watching the show. I did enjoy guest appearances by other super hero's. It also felt like towards the end they were going to unneccesary lengths to adhere to the "no flights-no tights" rule.

I thought Clark was growing into Superman in the first few seasons, and then growing away from the Superman that we know towards the end. I was glad they brought Michael Rosenbaum back for the finale though. They did enough stupid stories with "clone child lex", and shadowy figure lex, etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
    deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be fair, I loved that he regularly utilized his speed in smallville, even if that is all he seemed to have... It was like watching The Flash morph into Superman, kinda fits when you consider they kept calling him "the blur"!

TJSH96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TJSH96

Smallville is the best thing ever created by mankind in my opinion. Everything stated in that chart is just someone's opinion, nothing more. I think Smallville is the best thing ever created by mankind, the person who wrote the chart doesn't.

Ollietheblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've always viewed anything adapted from comics, to the visual medium as a else world story. I grew up watching Smallville, it's not perfect but it still managed to tell a good superman story. The show paved the way for many DC TV show we have to today, Lex Luthor was amazing. There is a follow up comic to the show if anyone is concerned about Superman's portrayal, read it.

rukus4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By rukus4ever

Smallville was dope. I own all 10 seasons. I re-watched the entire series when season 10 dropped. It was awesome.

Michael Rosenbaum is to Lex Luthor as Heath Ledger was to Joker, in my opinion. Although I know it would have felt odd, I think I would have liked having Rosenbaum as Lex in BvS:DoJ. Anyway, I think the character of Lex Luthor worked so well in Smallville because of the time they were able to take in developing how Alexander Luthor (hopeful child) became Lex Luthor (tyrant and murderer of his father). It was extremely well done.

It was also refreshing to experience Clark Kent from the perspective of the show. They did a good job of displaying all the struggles Clark had to go through to become the penultimate hero of DC Earth. He spent time discovering and mastering new powers, learning to keep his identity a secret while doing good, learn about his Kryptonian heritage, struggle with his biological father, mitigate relationships with schoolmates, navigate a strained friendship with Lex (in the first 2-3 seasons or so, anyway), Lana (yeesh! that was a roller coaster relationship!), the death of his adopted father and how that affected his maturation, a bold re-imaging of Martha Kent (Red Queen FTW), appearances by Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder, the fledgling Justice League... and for some reason I'm surprised it went 10 seasons.

After Kristen Kreuk and Michael Rosenbaum left the show it felt touch-and-go. But they made it work... barely. Lol!

That was a fun show. It definitely had its aggravating points. As someone earlier mentioned, sometimes character motivations could be all over the place (I'm looking at you Chloe and Lana). But, hey, they had to keep the teen angst going... so...

Last note... I was hoping for a more iconic battle when Apokolips showed up. I was hoping to see Justice battle parademons in the streets while Clark heads up with and incarnation of Darkseid. Darn those budgets!

Peace

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.