Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18938 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman vs Batman: When did it start and Why?

Kryptonian24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Kryptonian24

It's no secret that due to the arrival of Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice just six days shy of a full year that this debate will only escalate and intensify. I am sorry in advanced if you are sick of this age-old post, but I really need to know something. Exactly where did this pointless debate originate and why does it even matter? I have heard year after year for so long that "Batman could beat Superman in a fight" or "Superman could beat Batman easily in any fight", and I am very curious as to why it holds such value to people, especially the Batman fanboys.

When- The first time I have ever really seen the two in conflict was in "The Batman/Superman movie", but I would hardly call what they had a fight. This is the question that bothers me the least, but I would still like to know the thing that got it all started.

Why- The question I want to know the very most. The obvious, common debates aside, I would like to know why such a debate even exists? Not only are they both heroes, they are both friends (at least, eventually). And while friends definitely disagree, they don't really fight. There is no TRUE reason for them to be in conflict on a PHYSICAL level.

If someone could convey the notion of when and why this ridiculous debate is so prevalent these days, PLEASE elaborate.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By FuzzyLittleRodent

Three words: Dark. Knight. Returns.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

They were always DC 2 most popular heroes, since the day they were created, and cause of that, they had many battles & team ups.

But as the guy above me said, the real battle between fans & the characters started with TDKR

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SanoHibiki

When - Dark Knight Returns intensified already existing struggle.

Why - fanboys and their d...ck-measuring contests.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kryptonian24:

This fight is has old has maybe mankind itself. And no, I'm not kidding.

Every religion in the world, has to have two entities/gods that are like brothers at first and then become rivals in one way or another.

Osíris vs Seth, Zeus vs Hades, God vs Devil, and so on and so on.

And although Superman and Batman fight is more up to date, the motives are almost the same. Superman represents light and hope, Batman represents dark and fear.

This fight also started, in my opinion, because each one has strengths the other lacks. And of course that old debate, if mind is stronger than muscles.

And that's why they're the perfect team. Together they're way stronger than working apart.

Of course there's also the haters. And you know what they say about haters... "Haters gonna hate". There's no point even arguing with haters. It's like watching ink dry, or try to bring down a wall with one's head.

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone knows that without Kryptonite, Batman doesn't stand a chance.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superadam:

Yes and no.

Even if kryptonite was removed has a weakness, and his only vulnerability was red sunlight, still Batman would find a way, if not to win, at least to survive.

Superman is for lack of a better word, too trusting. Maybe for that very same reason everyone knows pretty much what he can and can't do.

Everyone knows about his visual weakness toward led. That kryptonite can kill him. And that he always holds back.

Batman most of all, seeing how much Superman depends on him.

We don't see Martian Manhunter be so open about his abilities because he knows that knowledge is power, and to much knowledge in the wrong hands can be lethal. That's why even readers never exactly know what MM is gonna do. While with Supes, it's pretty much given.

In the past Superman mostly did his research on his own, either about his powers or the cases he was in, and Batman knew what he knew more because of the time they spent working together. But now... Superman, is too dependent of other people. Which is a lot out of character.

But back to the point. When someone shows too much about what one can do, then our enemies and allies learn how to be prepared. Something that strange has it is, he doesn't do.

For example, I pretty much doubt that Batman would've allowed himself to get stabbed like Clark did in this week issue of Batman-Superman. Batman OCD infuriating has it's most of the times, has saved his life countless times. While Superman trust has put him in more dangerous situations that we can count.

Yes, without kryptonite Superman would be pretty much unstoppable. But even without kryptonite Superman would allow Batman to work some plan to survive to fight another day.

GLEmerald924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fight started when Clark found out Bruce was hitting his crush from behind. Yeah that's right Batman f*cked Lois Lane.

gunswordfist_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fight started when Clark found out Bruce was hitting his crush from behind. Yeah that's right Batman f*cked Lois Lane.

So is this also why Clark hates Lex?

GLEmerald924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gunswordfist_: yes. Lois is a sl*t. A dirty, dirty sl*t. She banged the whole DCU (females included)

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dark Knight Returns,and it's a fun argument that some people take way too seriously.

gunswordfist_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gunswordfist_

Dark Knight Returns,and it's a fun argument that some people take way too seriously.

Yeah, just like people taking battles too seriously or even taking people who take battles too seriously too seriously.

Avatar image for lonesharkadriano
    lonesharkadriano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lonesharkadriano

As far as I know, "The Dark knight returns" started all "Batman can beat Superman".
    And "Tower of babel" started all "Batman can beat every member of Justice League" and also(because he can beat justice league), "Batman can beat all Marvel universe as well(which is laughable)".

This what I hear Fanboys come up with, whenever there is an argument or a debate on Superman vs Batman or Batman vs Spider-man or Batman vs Dr Doom...etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.