Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18885 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman Unchained. Worth it?

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Thinking about picking up the Superman Unchained Deluxe Edition tomorrow for $29.99. Is the story and price worth it? It's the entry story in a nice hard cover book.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

No. Better Jim Lee art in Superman For Tomorrow or All Star Batman and better story in many, many places.

johnqestion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By johnqestion

No. The art is pretty as Jim's art is but not as clean and the story is just cliches you have read many times. Nothing that interesting has been said about or added to Superman in this story.

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hell no villain was a straight up punk.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By UltimateSMfan

If you hate superman and like good(not great) Jim lee art then sure. No way is the story worth it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
    deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

If you hate superman and like good(not great) Jim lee art then sure. No way is the story worth it.

What? I think I only got to Issue 4 but what do you mean?

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam: The story dumped on superman in ways i really didn't like. And IMO the negatives outweighed the positives. I'm not gonna say any more cause i really don't like to think about SU.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
    TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I thought the series started off good but overall it was lackluster.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimatesmfan said:

@farkam: The story dumped on superman in ways i really didn't like. And IMO the negatives outweighed the positives. I'm not gonna say any more cause i really don't like to think about SU.

Uhhh ok. Does it have something to do with Batman?

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. It's not worth it.

The story completely derails, Superman basicaly doesn't do sh#t. And the end... don't even get me started.

Save yourself a world of pain.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. It's not worth it.

The story completely derails, Superman basicaly doesn't do sh#t. And the end... don't even get me started.

Save yourself a world of pain.

Get started please. If you don't want to spoil it you can PM me about it. This story has disappointing and angered a lot of Superman fans apparently. I'd like to know why.

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
    thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

SPM1M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

neh it was everything a superman story shouldnt be

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol, peeps keep saying its awful with out saying why.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Its a better story than most of the New 52.

@farkam said:

Its got Lois and Batman in it for many that is a sin, a sin I tell you!!!11!!1!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its a better story than most of the New 52.

@farkam said:

Its got Lois and Batman in it for many that is a sin, a sin I tell you!!!11!!1!

I figured as much.

Avatar image for manhunter_prime
    Manhunter_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I probably would have liked it a lot more if there weren't so many delays in the release of issues. That being said, it definitely left a lot to be desired. The plot concept was cool, the insights into Superman both old and new were refreshing, and the art was solid, but it didn't resolve well and lacked follow-through. I realize that's kind of cliche, but there is no better way to describe something that was so hyped up and fell short of inflated expectations.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Sovereign91001

No, I think it was better in premise, than execution. Snyder is a solid writer, however his Superman wasn't compelling to me and both the story and prose fell flat imo. I know many, many people that like to tout it as an amazing comic that is reminiscent of an older era of Superman gone by but personally I think it's an average to slightly below average Superman story and not a good indicator of Snyder's writing ability, commentary on the current state of Superman aside.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was okay. Not the best story, but not the worst.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam:

Okay. Here's how it went.

Superman finds out he's not the only "superman" on Earth. That decades earlier another alien that also gets his powers from the sun arrived on Earth. But he was found by the militaries and served the USA exclusibly. With him came a formula, an equation that would propel human tech decades if not centuries.

Now. Because this alien has been on Earth longer not only he's more powerful than Superman, he seems to have all his gifts but he uses them better. He has more control and more experience. Till here everything good, Superman even shows a new extent of his powers, by using gamma radiation vision. But here's where the sh#t it the fan.

This alien. Wraith! It's the more confusing, bipolar character I've ever seen. Sometimes, he seems to be a mentor to Superman, other times he's threatning to kill him. All this in the same issue. Tell me that wouldn't drive you crazy.

Then comes along General Lane, using tech developed by Wraith, black holes lasers, black holes missiles. He treats Superman has a punk kid, and Superman lets him. He even goes to the point to attack Superman while he's on his fortress with Lois Lane, that incredible enough gets herself involved into this mess. The attack on the fortress should have been pretty much one sided with Superman smashing Lane's toys into pieces. He even puts on what looks like one the most badass armors/suit I've ever seen Superman ever use. And what happens. Superman gets his ass kicked. If it wasn't for Lois intervention he could've even been killed.

Lex Luthor appears time from time. Always aware of everything, always knowing what everyone's doing and knowing of the imminent threat that Earth was gonna face.

Wraith and Superman face it off a few times, most of the times its quite clear that if Wraith really wanted, he could have killed Superman without much trouble.

There's this group of tech terrorists Ascension that pretty much are the initial threat, but along the story their motives and even their goals wave, and become unclear. Till they come to an end by blowing themselves up.

Wraith and Superman come to the point where, Wraith only wants to kill Superman. They have a stupid showdown that ends close to the center of the Earth, were something very stupid happens that gives Superman an advantage over Wraith. And let me tell you. Its the stupidest of things. And Superman leaves Wraith there. Not caring if he's dead or alive.

Superman, Lois and the general are afterwards warned by Luthor of an imminent threat that will end humanity. Luthor of course offers a solution where Superman to save humanity has to inject himself with a solar fuel that will overcharge his powers to the point where Superman explodes in a massive explosion, destroying the entire threat. But we all know Superman wouldn't die. The story is so clear and without surprises that at this point you already know the end. And I bet, you from just reading this, already know the end. So sorry for the major spoiler.

And that's it.

No major surprises.

Superman is at most times clueless of almost everything. And the incredible thing. He really seems surprised to see that the military spent billions of dollars creating weapons to kill him.

So save yourself the pain. Or if you really need to read this, get it from the web.

Believe me. At the end you'll thank me for it.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By jwalser3
    Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was very good. Snyder is an amazing writer and Jim Lee is great as always. Most of the hate (but not all) comes from superficial reasons.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah.

Ending kinda sucks though

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best you don't it was pretty much meh

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Superman in the series doesn't come across to me as either Pre nor New 52, he has close to zero personality and is either serious or mad. Wraith is about as interesting a sack of potatoes and the majority of SM fans agree that H'el>>>Wraith.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm going to say yes because 1. I licked the story and the art, it was the story Snyder wanted to tell and I loved it. 2. Don't listen to most of the posts above because some of these ''fans" only post on here to complain about how the new 52 ruined superman and these are the people who know jack s:;t about superman.

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jim Lee's art is always top notch. Beautiful as ever. That being said, not even Jim Lee's art can compensate for the delays. So my experience was ruined.

Also, apparently Scott Snyder and Zack Snyder both agree that Superman should kill. Hell, at least Zack had the decency of demonstrating Superman showing remorse when he killed Zod. This Superman left Wraith for dead and was going Kamikaze on an alien armada, and there was no sorrow in the fact that he's going against his code.

Some 75th anniversary issue this turned out to be. Several delays, misplaced sexual tension, Unnecessary Batman appearances, cookie cutter "villain", Superman attempting to kill, and-worst of all-Superman didn't even get to save the day.

Was it worth it? No.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unchained pluses:

Jim Lee’s art;

Batfans will be pleased with Bat’s portrayal here.

As for Superman’s fans – no, it’s not worth it imo.

Unchained started strong, but derailed to the end. Complete set up of human’s accomplishments, dumb and jobbing Superman who is perfectly willing to kill, lack luster villain, way-too-long encouraging speeches with Lois, unclear (and honestly? derailing imo) message about Superman delivered by Snyder through Luthor ,etc…

Superman Unchained is the best example how you shouldn’t do Superman’s tribute miniseries.

HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jwalser3:

No problem.

The only good thing you'd get from Unchained would be Jim Lee’s amazing artwork. It's the type of drawing that every comic should have.

But that's about it.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#32  Edited By Deranged Midget

Not for that price :P

Glarinetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

? I though that it was great story, but yeah, over 20$ might be too much.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

@ultimatesmfan said:

No, i had a problem with the over all portrayal of superman. I'm only replying cause i want it to be understood that all the bat-wanking in this series is the least of what i didn't like about it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@farkam said:

@ultimatesmfan said:

No, i had a problem with the over all portrayal of superman. I'm only replying cause i want it to be understood that all the bat-wanking in this series is the least of what i didn't like about it.

Like what for example? (Not debating, just curious)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.