Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18941 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman Unchained to run for 9 issues?

• 54 results
    Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
    TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=48327

Taking select parts from a recent interview with Jim Lee from LA times they seem to be saying that Superman Unchained is a 9 issue series although It's a little unclear as they could just be saying the first arc is just 9 issues.

So Viners What do you guys think?

Superman Unchained #6 cover
    Superman Unchained #6 cover

ImagineMan16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

There's a lot of vagueness from creators in regard to the length of this series. I think I remember one definitive statement from Scott Snyder that its definitely an ongoing, but since then, he seems to have at least partially redacted that sentiment, or at least hinted at such, depending on when he's asked... I think the creators are leery about their ability to carry the series forward in the long term, probably more as a scheduling issue than a creative one, because there's definitely some ambiguity surrounding the subject.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

that would suck....

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm pretty sure Lee is just leaving after 9 issues.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare: that's what I think and hope is happening. But he's making it sound like the series is ending after issue 9

@sog7dc: yes, yes it would

@imagineman16: I've realised that they say it's an ongoing and then they say they're not sure yet etc etc so it's kind of hard to pinpoint what it is.

Oh and @lvenger think you might want to see this.

dbatdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i hope they can continue this series, i love what synder doing on this book. its nice to see what superman is actually thinking when he's doing those heroic stuff. :)

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I think it would be kinda cool just to leave it at 9. it is a special 75th anniversary thing?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: I don't understand your question

Avatar image for wishiwassuperman
    WIshIWasSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By WIshIWasSuperman

@allstarsuperman: I think he means that if Unchained is good and the main title is bad, wouldn't it be better to keep the good title going?

Not saying I agree, that's just how I interpret the question

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wishiwassuperman: thanks for explaining

@maccyd: Action Comics and Batman/Superman are both gonna be written by Greg Pak, they will be good. and not all of lobdells work is bad, I just dropped out of psi-war.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they finish it after 10 that would be great. Finishing at 9 seems odd.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: Snyder's confirmed that his and Lee's first story arc finishes after 9 issues. He says in his tweets which you can see in my post above's link that Unchained is an ongoing series and Snyder and Lee are still deciding on whether they want to continue on the next story arc or pass the buck onto someone else.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: No problem. Still hope Snyder stays on the book I wouldn't mind it if Lee left because then Gary Frank might be able to sneak his way in their. Plus if they do leave there's a chance mister Lobdell could take over.

@z3ro180 said:

If they finish it after 10 that would be great. Finishing at 9 seems odd.

I agree with this and I see what you did their 9 is an odd number and you said ending it their would seem odd.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: No problem, glad I contributed to this thread of yours. At least we have confirmation that Unchained is an ongoing. The only thing that's not clear is whether Snyder or Lee will work on the next arc or whether another creative team will take over. I do hope Snyder stays as well if Lee has to go, he's doing much better on Superman than he is on Batman for me.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By z3ro180

@lvenger: I knew I just think finishing on 9 is...odd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Thank you :), I hope at least Snyder stays on for a good 20-25 issues as long as Lee's replacement is a good artist and Lee would come back for the final story. I hope the next creative team is a good one I'm tired of poor creative teams on titles or ones that wee amazing but never lasted (Andy Diggle & Tony Daniel). I think he`s great with both although I think his Batman is so far better developed I think overtime his Superman will surpass his Batman.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: True, 10 would have been a more suitable place to stop.

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642 Same, I would love for Snyder to stay on as the writer after this arc paired up with another good artist. That would certainly be very helpful in giving us another quality Superman title to counter the poor creative teams the New 52 has had. Given that Batman has been in the works for ages in Snyder's perspective, it does make more sense for his Batman to be more well developed though I feel he has a better handle on Superman than Batman.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

The fact that the first arc would be so long doesn't surprises me at all.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TDK_1997

@lvenger: Snyder always makes his first arcs and almost every arc longer than the normal.He just likes writing this way,dragging the story around just too much.

Avatar image for consolemaster001
    consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Oh well

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@z3ro180: True, 10 would have been a more suitable place to stop.

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642 Same, I would love for Snyder to stay on as the writer after this arc paired up with another good artist. That would certainly be very helpful in giving us another quality Superman title to counter the poor creative teams the New 52 has had. Given that Batman has been in the works for ages in Snyder's perspective, it does make more sense for his Batman to be more well developed though I feel he has a better handle on Superman than Batman.

Snyder did say it would last for 9-10 issues so it could go up to issue 10 witch could just be an epilogue story.

Exactly I don't want just one quality Superman title (Action with Pak and Kuder) not to sound like an angry fanboy or anything but as you said I`m sick of the poor creative teams that have doen nothing for Superman in the New 52.There are 3 artists who are free at the moment who would do a great Superman book once Lee leaves. Gary Frank, Bryan Hitch, Ed Benes. Although I don`t pull Batman (my brother does he`s a Bat-nut) I do read it from my bro`s stuff and I`ve been really enjoying his run so far although it hit a little bit of a bump with issue 17-20 I think it`s gotten better with Zero Year IMO.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Well Court of Owls was divided up into two stages and there have been longer arcs. If Snyder has the right material, which so far he's showing he has, I'll enjoy the long arc. For Tomorrow was over 10, if not 12 parts.

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642 Same and I couldn't agree more. Superman hasn't had the best luck with creative teams overall and DC have quality talent lying around going to waste. The artists you've suggested and more would be more than suitable to take over from Lee on Unchained once Lee's arc is done.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By z3ro180

@lvenger: for tomorrow was 12 issues I think. Also is uncahined only 9 issues ?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Court of Owls is his best Batman arc up to date but even though I enjoyed it a lot I think that things were stretched out just too much.He should've ended the whole thing in a fewer issues and I hope that he indeed will have a lot of material to show to us in Unchained.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just want to see how Snyder does with this story arc, I'm really loving it at the moment and then see what happens. If I'm honest, I'm not too bothered about Lee leaving after issue 9, if he does, simply because I'm pretty sure that they'll put on an artist, whose at least, decent with Snyder - I can't seem to recall any current ongoing series that Snyder is writing who don't have a good artist on.

Even if Snyder leaves I'd keep an open mind of who would take over, unless it's Lobdell - I've read severall of his series in the new 52 and am yet to find one great issue written by him. Just look at his psi-war event, what the hell? It annoys me enough that he's currently writing both Action Comics and Superman (although thankfully Pak is taking over writing duties at Action Comics).

Worst comes to worse, I'll have Pak's Action Comics or Batman/Superman to fall back on for my main Superman title.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Agreed on it being his best and his work being massively stretched out when he could have finished sooner. Hopefully Unchained won't make that same mistake.

@z3ro180 According to Snyder's tweets it is. And you have to admit he'd know about these things :P

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I hope so.So far the book has been solid and I would like Snyder to keep up the good work.But even though the book has been solid it still looks like the rest of his work but connected with the Superman mythos.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Lvenger

@tdk_1997: True, it does I won't lie about that. I am hopeful about Snyder's promise to turn Superman's strengths into weaknesses and really get to the core of challenging Superman emotionally most of all but also physically. A mix of these two can make a good story.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TDK_1997

@lvenger: We will have to wait and see how Snyder will continue the story.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Indeed. The next issue's out at the end of October I think.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I'm not that anxious to read it but it is definitely one of the things that I like from my pull list.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lvenger

@tdk_1997: Given that I'm a big Superman fan, I'm somewhat anxious to read it :P

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642 Same and I couldn't agree more. Superman hasn't had the best luck with creative teams overall and DC have quality talent lying around going to waste. The artists you've suggested and more would be more than suitable to take over from Lee on Unchained once Lee's arc is done.

Glad you agree :) Exactly although most of the titles involving him currently are fairly strong (save for Superman which has an incredible artist but a meh writer) I just don't want another Diggle and Daniel case. Yep although I'm trying to think who else as Hitch can't really do a monthly without delays or constant fill ins...Rocafort is with Lobdell, Booth and Kuder are with Pak and Daniel is with Soule.....Frank Quitely would be good but he also can't do a monthly for very long. Maybe Adam Kubert or Eddy Barrows.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Lvenger

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: I loved Barrows art on Grounded even though the story sucked. He'd be a great choice to take over on Unchained.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: yes his work on Action Comics, Superman, War of the Supermen and Blackest Night Superman were all fantastic although his current work doesn't seem to be as good as it was during the pre 52 stuff he did it's still great.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got bored reading all the comments so I'm just gonna say that if Batman can have 5 on-goings at the same time (I'm counting Batman, Inc even though it ended) then Superman should get more than the core 2 books as well, especially since Superman and Action Comics have been sucking (though that will soon change with Pak joining AC). Yeah, we have Superman/Batman and now Superman/Wonder Woman but those aren't solos, they're team books. Unchained, though only 3 issues in, has been a breath of fresh air. If Snyder and Lee want to be lazy and move off from the book then put a new competent writer and artist on it.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Aww c'mon, I really hope that Snyder and Lee continue on after their arc. Perhaps they could just cancel the series and toss the creative team into the main Superman title?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aww c'mon, I really hope that Snyder and Lee continue on after their arc. Perhaps they could just cancel the series and toss the creative team into the main Superman title?

We can only hope. I at least hoe Snyder stays on the book and they bring on a good artist to replace Lee. (Gary Frank anyone?)

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theincrediblesuperhulk8642: Some of his Nightwing stuff has been really good actually.

I'm hopeful they're only saying this in relation to how long their arc is, not how long they're staying on the series. And Unchained is a confirmed ongoing by Snyder so doubtful that it's going anywhere.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Deranged Midget

@deranged_midget said:

We can only hope. I at least hoe Snyder stays on the book and they bring on a good artist to replace Lee. (Gary Frank anyone?)

Gary Frank would be wicked, but honestly, I feel like Tony S. Daniel is the ideal Superman artist currently. Most well rounded and absolutely gorgeous work.

@lvenger said:

I'm hopeful they're only saying this in relation to how long their arc is, not how long they're staying on the series. And Unchained is a confirmed ongoing by Snyder so doubtful that it's going anywhere.

Eh, I'd rather they just cancel it and toss Snyder and Lee (or whoever replaces him) into the main Superman title. Less titles, easier to follow :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: Tony Daniel is a great Superman artist I don't think he's the best currently but he's certainly good. He is busy with SM/WW though.

@lvenger: That is true but his current work on Teen Titans and Superman have been for the most part good but just a little off. His Nightwing work was incredible though.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: Tony Daniel is a great Superman artist I don't think he's the best currently but he's certainly good. He is busy with SM/WW though.

Hey, to each their own! I feel like he beats out Lee simply because Daniel can combine emotional and physical aspects all in one scene. Lee is brilliant with large scale battles and splash pages but he doesn't do that well with quiet scenes in my opinion. Obviously, there are exceptions as Hush has proven with Bruce and Selina but I'm hoping to be proven wrong with Unchained.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deranged_midget: You've mentioned before. But with characters like Batman holding down 4 of their own series, DC are just following what sells. If Batman gets 4 series to himself, I see no problem with Superman having 3.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@deranged_midget: You've mentioned before. But with characters like Batman holding down 4 of their own series, DC are just following what sells. If Batman gets 4 series to himself, I see no problem with Superman having 3.

Oh I definitely agree my friend but the point is, are all those titles stellar? Consistent quality over quantity.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Lvenger

@lvenger said:

Oh I definitely agree my friend but the point is, are all those titles stellar? Consistent quality over quantity.

I'd hardly call The Dark Knight of a consistent quality :P And Detective Comics was in the dump because of Daniels' writing. But I get your point. Snyder, Tomasi and Layman have done consistently good things with Batman whereas only Morrison and Snyder have done good things on solo Superman titles.

Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Deranged Midget

@lvenger said:

@deranged_midget said:

@lvenger said:

I'd hardly call The Dark Knight of a consistent quality :P And Detective Comics was in the dump because of Daniels' writing. But I get your point. Snyder, Tomasi and Layman have done consistently good things with Batman whereas only Morrison and Snyder have done good things on solo Superman titles.

I never called The Dark Knight a consistent quality, hence why I was referring to quality over quantity since only half of the Batman titles are truly noteworthy ;)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.