Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18939 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman Unchained #7 Preview: Superman Prepares for Battle

• 119 results
    z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@lvenger: Just read issue 7 and the end, oh Lordy lord Wraith has made Supes mad.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@z3ro180 said:

@lvenger: Just read issue 7 and the end, oh Lordy lord Wraith has made Supes mad.

Was it a good issue in your opinion?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: it was a good issue. Was it worth a three month wait. No it was not.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: Given that Doomed's been going on with only Geoff Johns' Superman being the other good Superman issue, it'll be worth it for me :P

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Dear God the first Doomed one shot was awful. Why did they need to give Doomsday a reason for killing superman or attempting to kill him.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180: Worse still, why was the Doomsday fight terribly anti climatic and lacking any real stakes to it? I just didn't feel anything about its conclusion nor what was at stake. And making the reader not care about the story is the worst thing a writer can do.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: I liked Oak and Soules chapters after it and just didn't even look at the lobdell chapter. That abomination opened my eyes to just how bad of a writer Londell's is in terms of Superman.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: give him a lab coat and he is oak ;D

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#111  Edited By Bezza

..Read through issue 7 yesterday and thought it was a bit of a mess tbh and quite frustrating.

Good bits, lots of fighting, the art, the bit where Lois comes onto the scene and surprises her dad. The Bat suit, Superman finally getting to General lane. An action packed issue.

Bad bits. Batman steals too much of the action...I don't have a problem per se with him being involved, but he has more fighting time than superman and p-please, how does he get up after being smacked by Wraith? Yeah, he's in a super Bat suit, but the problem I have with batman and Iron man in situations like this is that in reality the guy inside the suit would be mush. I mean if you put a china tea pot in carbon fibre protected shell and drop it off a tower block, it will still break....

Finally, Wonder Woman. Why is she even there, I mean as usual in a DC book she is made to look ineffectual and basically useless.

Oh and it finishes with Superman about to confront Wraith (again) and presumably another massive wait for the climatic fight we are all waiting for!!

grrrrrr..................

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#112  Edited By Squalleon

@bezza said:

Oh and it finishes with Superman about to confront Wraith (again) and presumably another massive wait for the climatic fight we are all waiting for!!

grrrrrr..................

Thats like storytelling 101. Keep the best for last :P

Agree with everything else though.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon:

Yeah, if it wasn't for all the delays it wouldn't be so bad, but I really don't think this issue deserved more than a 7 out of 10. Sure am glad I've made the decision to pick up the new Geoff Johns book and just wait for the TP of Unchained to arrive...when it arrives...if it arrives lol!

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

@squalleon:

Yeah, if it wasn't for all the delays it wouldn't be so bad, but I really don't think this issue deserved more than a 7 out of 10. Sure am glad I've made the decision to pick up the new Geoff Johns book and just wait for the TP of Unchained to arrive...when it arrives...if it arrives lol!

I am expecting a lot from Geoff. His best stuff are modernizing of classics figures like JSA and Green Lantern so a modern Superman BUT with a classical element, is definetely in his advatages. First issue promised a very fulfilling run. Its magnificent, Johns hit the nail in the head with the first issue.
    He touched on all those problems Superman had:

• Lack of Superhero supporting cast, which resulted in frequent use of the JL to compensate.
    • Lack of playground for Clark since he left the Planet
    • No focus on supporting characters
    • Familiar yet New. Familiarity/nostalgia is a strong factor into liking a story.

DC hasn't even solicit the first volume for Unchained :P. I think they will print the whole run in one volume. I hope not but I am almost sure they will. Since it is one big story, from a mini-series. Mini-series are usually printed all together.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: to make unchained two volumes would just be daft since it is only 9 issues long. So haveing the story in one volume would be the best idea.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@squalleon: to make unchained two volumes would just be daft since it is only 9 issues long. So haveing the story in one volume would be the best idea.

I agree. It makes sense in many ways since mini-series are usually collected as a whole. If they are divided by two the volumes will be small.
    AND MORE IMPORTANTLY with one complete and as a result more expensive volume, DC will have double income because the fans who have dropped the title and want to read the rest of the story will have to buy the more expensive volume, so it is like buying the same issues twice.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I'm collecting the single issues myself but when the trade comes out I'm buy that aswell.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@squalleon: I'm collecting the single issues myself but when the trade comes out I'm buy that aswell.

Nah, I won't buy the trade, I never buy the same story twice (with a few exceptions).

I am collecting the single issues because I have invested too much time and money to drop it. And with two good titles out there (AC and Superman), the delays won't affect me because I can get my Superman fix quite easily.

And Unchained isn't even the title I look most forward to now :P Johns' Superman taken that place.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I'll give Johns the credit he he due. I gave up on the Solo seris months ago, but johns has brought me back.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Superman Unchained 7 review for anyone interested: http://www.comicvine.com/superman-unchained-7-out-of-time/4000-458569/user-reviews/2200-43686

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Again we come full circle to the inconsistances.

I remember clearly reading Superman say more than once, that the fortress was made so it could hold its own agains any threat, Kryptonian or otherwise. And what happened next... Zod and Faora broke out of the fortress like it was nothing. Now general Lane, with his black holes lasers and bombs (can't specifie how ridiculous those kind of weapons sound like, but hey, its comics, the hell with the laws of physic), breaks the fortress to pieces. At least a major part of it.

And what does Superman do... He puts on an armor, that at first seems so badass that he's gonna start breaking all of Lane's toys, but noooo... The armor itself lasts about 10 minutes and then it shatters. Leaving Superman wide open to get some K bombs landed on him. And who saves him... Lois!

Am I the only one that thinks that Superman is being underpowered on purpose?

Why does Superman needs so much help in this New 52 version, is beyond me.

If he gets a science problem enter Dr. Shay Veritas. If he needs tactical advise enter Batman. In previous versions he did most of this stuff by himself and now, its like he can't hold his own against anything that is at his power level or above.

They called this Superman Unchained when they really should have called it Superman Chained.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.