Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18936 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman Unchained 6 discussion

• 78 results
    UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By UltimateSMfan

@archizoom said:

@superguy1591: Make all our favorite heroes look like zeros is kind of what Superman does isn't it

lol for a sec i thought you were talking about batman....Anyway Hal was in space or upper atmosphere, maybe from there he could only take out about 6%, Superman was closer, seeing that he can move really fast and was still on earth, but whatever what pissed me of was in the end Superman didn't end up taking out any nukes by hand he took them out with the crystal (IMO woulda looked cooler if he took out some by hand,heat vision etc.)

@jayc1324 said:

@superguy1591: You do know that Batman and superman are friends right? And that superman appears in some batman comics too? Batman doesnt appear in every Superman comic so calm down. It makes sense for him to be here. It makes sense that batma created a way to beat wraith and a suit to hide himself from superman. That's what he does. Like superman said, he's paranoid.

No. of issues of Superman Unchained the celebratory comic for Superman's 75th anniversary batman has appeared in is 3/6....No. of issues that superman has appeared in Snyder's batman is 2 and that was in backups written by James Tynion which were bullsh*#.

Understood they're friends and all but come on fortress vs batcave, Superman could've easily made that stupid lazy plot device himself. Sure it may make sense but don't use Superman's comic to batwank or to put it more lightly glorify bats like i said earlier....Some one above said and i agree that in the next issue batman's gonna probably put on that stealth suit and use another ring on wraith but that remains to be seen. Also i'd be really surprised if Superman appears in even one issue of batman eternal this year or is even mentioned for that matter.

We have three issues left and we have yet to find out whats happening with Lex and Jimmy and the incomplete flashbacks or what significance they hold and a proper battle with wraith.

Did anyone understand what that whole dialogue about the commercial meant in the beginning?

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimatesmfan said:

@archizoom said:

@superguy1591: Make all our favorite heroes look like zeros is kind of what Superman does isn't it

lol for a sec i thought you were talking about batman....

Lol indeed. That reminds me about this conversation I had with @archizoom before:

@archizoom:

He's a big ugly vortex that sucks all the glory and all the praise towards him, everything around Superman tends to disappear.

Fun fact - that’s how I see Batman since Timm’s JL cartoon.

No. of issues of Superman Unchained the celebratory comic for Superman's 75th anniversary batman has appeared in is 3/6....No. of issues that superman has appeared in Snyder's batman is 2 and that was in backups written by James Tynion which were bullsh*#.

I was really glad when DC announced BM/SM title. I thought: “Finally, Supes/Bat’s shared adventures would be limited to that book”. Boy, was I ever so wrong.

Did anyone understand what that whole dialogue about the commercial meant in the beginning?

You mean why Clark hates it so much?

I think that's because he can’t help but think that this commercial reflects public’s opinion about him. “He saving cats from trees and then carefree relaxing in clouds all day” while in reality his life is full with different problems, superhero job’s hazards and on the top of that realization how fragile the entire Earth, how readily people are willing to destroy all life on the planet (with all those nuclear warheads).

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By UltimateSMfan

@sanohibiki said:

@ultimatesmfan said:

You mean why Clark hates it so much?

I think that's because he can’t help but think that this commercial reflects public’s opinion about him. “He saving cats from trees and then carefree relaxing in clouds all day” while in reality his life is full with different problems, superhero job’s hazards and on the top of that realization how fragile the entire Earth, how readily people are willing to destroy all life on the planet (with all those nuclear warheads).

Makes a lot of sense, thanks! :D That page just became a whole lot more significant to me.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54  Edited By Superguy1591

@jayc1324: When has Superman ever been the guy who plays a pivotal role in a Batman story? Do you think that Superman will even make an appearance in Batman's 75th year book? Yeah, we'll see. Hell, Snyder is writing a Batman book right now, has Superman made even a small cameo? If Superman can't wipe his bum without Batman, why didn't Superman give Batman the shard? He's just going to call Batman for help anyway.

@archizoom: Not really, it's never been suggested that Hal and Kal were close in power or ability. Saying that Superman outpacing Hal makes Hal seems useless is like saying Superman outlifting Batman makes Batman useless. They're different in their own way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: @ultimatesmfan: Good points but what's going on in the story right now is a global issue. Every nuclear warhead being launched is everyone's problem and GL's job is to protect all of earth. So it kinda makes sense for other heroes to step in, and not just batman since GL and Wonder Woman were in the story too. Also superman isn't paranoid like batman is. He wouldn't have made a ring like batman did, and now the big fight can be saved for later in the story.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I stopped reading this a while back, due to the delays, but it does have its merits. Beautiful art and a villain who can go toe to toe physically with Superman and in fact outclasses him physically, how often does that happen? Nice twist that Batman helps Superman in this issue, but I sympathise with those who say Batman has a bit too much exposure at times! Overall however, I prefer Action Comics now, its on time and plenty of action occurs!

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#57  Edited By Billy Batson

@bezza said:

a villain who can go toe to toe physically with Superman and in fact outclasses him physically, how often does that happen?

Like half or most of the time?

BB

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@superguy1591: Batman is supporting character and not even the most pivotal. Lois Lane has helped Superman more than he has, so now Superman can't wipe his ass without Lois Lane? Superman's stories are larger than Batman so it makes sense that the rest of the league is involved. I don't know why some people are so insecure about Superman when he has made most of the rest of the league look like chumps far more than Batman.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welp, just read the issue.

Is it a technically solid book? Sure, the writing is well done and the art is fantastic.

What's it entertainment value? It really depends, but if you're a classic fan of Superman, its probably not going to work very well for you. Superman is weak and sort of dumb in this. Lois Lane is very Batman-esque, with full PIS powers. As someone mentioned, Supes needs Batman's direction for every decision he makes (and nope he cant beat Wraith without Batman). Wraith is a lame, one dimensional character that does not bring anything interesting to the table as far as characterization, plot, backstory, or even his design. In a lot of ways, he is familiar to H'El, except he's all about America and H'El is all about Krypton. And since they are similar, compare them. Regardless of whose writing style you prefer, you have to admit the H'El is a more meaningful character and reveals more about Superman by being his nemesis.

I hate Lois in this, her part is basically like FanFiction. She is a classic Mary Sue if i've ever seen one.

The book also seems to have an agenda, its trying to sell a globalist, liberal sort of Superman. Conceptually, I dont really have any issue with this, while I like Supes to be patriotic (a la Man of Steel), I feel as a hero, he should ignore borders, but why write a whole book of propaganda to sell this concept? Seriously, why?

This book really feels like it should be an Elseworlds book, it just doesnt seem consistent with the main DCU or with every other version of Superman we've seen. If someone told me this was in the Animated Universe or something, id believe it.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@papinacho: First of all, I hate Lois Lane. This book is reminding me just why I hate her. She's just so...eww. God, where's the Lady Di where ya need her. She would've made this book interesting, instead she's playing cameo. Get Lois Lane the F outta there! She's dragging the story! And Superman's stories don't need the league, the league was created for things Superman can't handle on his own. If the writer thinks Superman needs help from other heroes to handle a story, that writer should write Justice League, not a Superman book.

@jayc1324: What do you mean Superman isn't paranoid like Batman is? Wraith already said he will have to take him down eventually, did Superman just forget that? And really? Wraith also has his own version of Kryptonite? Really? I thought that was unique to Superman since Kryptonite was caused by a chain reaction in the core of Krypton that made the rocks radioactive, Wraith's planet didn't even blow up, so what did Batman synthesize? His @$$? Can Batman also synthesize Earthtonite for humans? Gimme a break, how lazy is that? Even if you're going to make such a cheap plot device, why wouldn't Superman sythesize it? What's the Fortress of Solitude for then? Just for chilling?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: No superman didn't forget about that. He has batman who is his paranoid friend make the ring for him. That's batmans thing and he is better at it than superman. Plus superman had other things to do like save the entire world from being destroyed and stop ascension

And guys as powerful as wraith need a weakness or else he would've killed superman. Darkseid has radion. Green lantern has yellow. And now Wraith has his. Its only fitting.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Superguy1591

@jayc1324: Man, you Batman fanboys have been whining because Geoff Johns isn't making Batman the focal point of Justice League, but you see no problem with Batman invading another person's book? Okay, next time Batman is fighting Bane, I hope a writer has Batman call Superman because Batman isn't about fighting guys with super-strength, that's Superman's thing. I wonder how you guys would react..-_-

And, nice work, Scott Snyder. No explanation, just Batman's magic PIS was able to make up something. I bet he had it in his utility belt this whole time in case he ever met Wraith.

And here's what would've been interesting. He does beat Superman, Superman fleas to his fortress, Wraith comes after him there and Superman shows off all his amazing alien weaponry and manages to take Wraith down. You know, exactly what Snyder is going to have Batman...in Superman's book. -_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Bringing up Geoff johns is irrelevant here. And by the way batman is the only JL member that made it out in one piece in case you didn't know. And like i said this is a global issue. Not just something for superman. Wraith included. That's why wonder woman and and GL were there too. Its not just batman. Since it is global it makes sense others are helping out and that batman has that ring. Batman and superman help each other out when needed.

Everyone is complaining about the littlest stupidest things instead of just trying to enjoy a good story. You want to tell your own version of the story but you arent Snyder and don't know what he has in mind and there are still some issues left of this so just enjoy it and see how it plays out. This is why batman fans and superman fans can't get along sometimes. Raging over little stuff like batman appearing in a superman book even though two other heroes appeared too. And I'm sure if batman had a global issue superman would step in. He even stepped in Gotham when there was an earthquake there and tried to help.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: This has NOTING to do with Superman getting help to stop a crisis he couldn't stop by himself. This had ALL TO DO WITH Superman needing to call Batman to handle a fight. Like I said, would you be okay with Batman calling Superman in a fight against Bane? No, you wouldn't.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superguy1591: Well now I see what you mean. And yeah I wouldn't be happy if that happened but that's not exactly what happened here. Its not like superman stopped in the middle of the fight and called batman crying for help. Batman had already given him the ring. Its like how superman gave batman kryptonite to beat kryptonians. No one complains about that. And now batman has given superman something to beat wraith.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By SanoHibiki

@superguy1591:

Wraith also has his own version of Kryptonite? Really? I thought that was unique to Superman since Kryptonite was caused by a chain reaction in the core of Krypton that made the rocks radioactive, Wraith's planet didn't even blow up, so what did Batman synthesize? His @$$? Can Batman also synthesize Earthtonite for humans? Gimme a break, how lazy is that?

Sums up my feelings pretty well. Suddenly all sun-powered aliens sharing physiological make-up? Did Batman already created tamaranite to use against Starfire? How exactly he done that in the first place? Bruce didn’t even have (as far as I know) sample of Wraith’s DNA, how he managed find out what radiation would be poisonous for Wraith?..

Out of all storylines in Unchained this one takes the cake in “unoriginal” category.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

The issue wasn't that good at least in my opinion.The beginning and the end were the strongest parts of the issue and of the story as a whole but the 'big' fight disappointed me a lot.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: Word!

@jayc1324: Wraith's planet didn't even blow up, so what did Batman synthesize? His @$$? Can Batman also synthesize Earthtonite for humans? Gimme a break, how lazy is that? Even if you're going to make such a cheap plot device, why wouldn't Superman sythesize it? What's the Fortress of Solitude for then? Just for chilling?

Oh Man!!!! Hahahahahahahaha :'D I can't stop laughing!!!! And the fortress part was kind of a pun, did anyone get that? Anyway, oh man this was funny! :D

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What do you mean Superman isn't paranoid like Batman is? Wraith already said he will have to take him down eventually, did Superman just forget that? And really? Wraith also has his own version of Kryptonite? Really? I thought that was unique to Superman since Kryptonite was caused by a chain reaction in the core of Krypton that made the rocks radioactive, Wraith's planet didn't even blow up, so what did Batman synthesize? His @$$? Can Batman also synthesize Earthtonite for humans? Gimme a break, how lazy is that? Even if you're going to make such a cheap plot device, why wouldn't Superman sythesize it? What's the Fortress of Solitude for then? Just for chilling?

Sadly..you are damn right about this.

However his story has had it flaws, but despite them it's still a nice plot with good art and good characterization...but there is one problem or at least it may have a big problem: since issue # 1 we 've understood that Superman will have to fight Wraith sooner or later (probably later at this point) and that fight will be the clue of Scott's run. If it will be an awesome fight, creative, meaningfull and with a great art it will wrap up this Unchained run nicely but if it will be a disapointment it may undermine all of it.

toptom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By toptom

@superguy1591 said:

What do you mean Superman isn't paranoid like Batman is? Wraith already said he will have to take him down eventually, did Superman just forget that? And really? Wraith also has his own version of Kryptonite? Really? I thought that was unique to Superman since Kryptonite was caused by a chain reaction in the core of Krypton that made the rocks radioactive, Wraith's planet didn't even blow up, so what did Batman synthesize? His @$$? Can Batman also synthesize Earthtonite for humans? Gimme a break, how lazy is that? Even if you're going to make such a cheap plot device, why wouldn't Superman sythesize it? What's the Fortress of Solitude for then? Just for chilling?

Sadly..you are damn right about this.

However this story has had it flaws, but despite them it's still has nice plot with good art and good characterization...but there is one problem or at least it may have a big problem: since issue # 1 we 've understood that Superman will have to fight Wraith sooner or later (probably later at this point) and that fight will be the clue of Scott's run. If it will be an awesome fight, creative, meaningfull and with a great art it will wrap up this Unchained run nicely but if it will be a disapointment it may undermine all of it.

ColaNicole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#71  Edited By ColaNicole

Was Wraith wearing armor in the epilogue?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow so apparently wraith having a weakness makes this entire storyline unoriginal and the worst thing ever.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

@jayc1324 said:

Wow so apparently wraith having a weakness makes this entire storyline unoriginal and the worst thing ever.

Welcome to comicbook fans 101.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: I agree with pretty much every thing you said but I just have a question what would you have had superman do to beat wraith? Wraith is stronger than him and at least as fast and durable as him so superman probably would have died. I wouldn't want wraith to turn into doomsday

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By deaditegonzo

@jayc1324 said:

@deaditegonzo: I agree with pretty much every thing you said but I just have a question what would you have had superman do to beat wraith? Wraith is stronger than him and at least as fast and durable as him so superman probably would have died. I wouldn't want wraith to turn into doomsday

Every villain is stronger/more powerful than the hero they face. If they werent, there wouldnt be any drama. The hero is supposed to overcome through sheer force of will, cleverness/guile, brashness, or whatever. I think Supes should have taken a real beating. And then fought back through pure determination. And maybe even then he still should have lost, but to Wraith's surprise, Supes lured him to a place where Supes has the advantage (maybe the Fortress of Solitude since Wraith didnt know about a lot of the tech), and maybe in the Fortress, Supes has a "grenade" that nullifies Solar Radiation, and they are both totally depowered, but since Wraith has had his powers longer, he is more caught off guard/less prepared, so Supes beats him down with some h2h Diana taught him (if another Leaguer must be mentioned) or some country boy boxing moves his Pa showed him. Something like that would leave a greater opportunity for a lesson to be taught to Wraith about the differences between how they have chosen to live their lives (Superman honoring his "parents" vs Wraith choosing to be a military weapon).

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

#76  Edited By SOG7dc
    Avatar image for if_lookscankill
    if_looksCanKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By if_looksCanKill

@superguy1591 said:

@jayc1324: This has NOTING to do with Superman getting help to stop a crisis he couldn't stop by himself. This had ALL TO DO WITH Superman needing to call Batman to handle a fight. Like I said, would you be okay with Batman calling Superman in a fight against Bane? No, you wouldn't.

Amen, It's way to much Batman in Superman comics now a days! Batman for some reason going to be a key role in SM/WW, he's also in SM Unchained, the Original SM title, and also featuring in the Doomed story arc. So yes it's getting kind of ridiculousness now!

I'm sure Batman will make some type of appearance in Geoff Johns run too, when will it end? I thought that's why we have a BM/SM title?

Thanks superguy for speaking out about this cause that's exactly how I feel!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for if_lookscankill
    if_looksCanKill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes he makes an appearance in four issues counting the new one coming out (# 8) May.

Look I like Batman and it's cool seeing him in Superman titles, but "Got Damn!" writer tend to throw him in a Superman title giving the chance smh... then to top it off they try to make the assumption that's Superman just dumb when he's around Batman.

The problem is we need a good writer whole possess a strong passion for Superman, instead of writers who have a strong feeling that SM is always beneath Batman which is really scarce now a days lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.