Superman should ditch the cape

• 95 results
#1 Posted by GillaDro (249 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Superman would benefit from a costume update.I say get rid of the cape. It really serves him no purpose. If anything it gets in his way, and gives enemies something to grab on to. And really? What is cool about a cape nowadays? NOTHING. And tights are about as lame as you can get. I'm sure you'll all disagree and say "thats what makes him superman" or something but, fact is , his costume pretty much blows. You wanna make him cooler? Ditch the the cape and tights.

#2 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Superman should ditch you. Yeah! There I said it.

#3 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

His costume is fine as far as I'm concerned.

#4 Posted by tomdickharry1984 (837 posts) - - Show Bio

Cape stays

#5 Posted by GillaDro (249 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

I think Superman should ditch you. Yeah! There I said it.

lmao.

#6 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#7 Posted by GillaDro (249 posts) - - Show Bio

@tomdickharry1984: ok, but the tights and underwear gotta go

#8 Posted by Aiden Cross (15575 posts) - - Show Bio

The underwear DID go.. And no, he shouldnt.

#9 Edited by cameron83 (7504 posts) - - Show Bio

@GillaDro said:

@tomdickharry1984: ok, but the tights and underwear gotta go

but the cape stays.

might as well tell cap to get rid of the red white and blue color scheme and the helmet wings

#10 Posted by Mr_Ingenuity (7670 posts) - - Show Bio

Give it 20 more reboots and you may just get your wish. But be careful for what you wish for.

#11 Edited by GillaDro (249 posts) - - Show Bio

Why try to modernize characters, yet they're choice in clothing remains in the 40's and 50's ?

#12 Posted by SoA (4919 posts) - - Show Bio

ultimate hyperion or apollo are "supermen" without capes , original supes should keep his cape bc its iconic

#13 Posted by Ravager4 (1627 posts) - - Show Bio

#14 Posted by GillaDro (249 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ravager4: Yes, that's what I'm talkin about. lol

#15 Posted by Eternal19 (2076 posts) - - Show Bio

@GillaDro: Umm the underwear is gone. Capes are frikin cool and it fits superman's charecter. people only think capes arent cool because of the incredibles. Superhero costumes will always look like tights

This is his current costume

#16 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7983 posts) - - Show Bio

It would make sense. But I love the cape. Keep.

#17 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

They may have taken his underwear, but I'll be damned if they lose the cape. No.

#18 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@GillaDro said:

You wanna make him cooler? Ditch the the cape and tights.

Naaaaaaaah!!!!! We've seen those sucky costumes in Smallville. Most people don't see it working as Superman. It ain't Superman without the red and blue tights and cape.

#19 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio
Tried and failed
#20 Posted by GillaDro (249 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's just keep Batman and Robin in theyre old outfits too

cuz they're iconic and all that

#21 Posted by TheSwordsman (1954 posts) - - Show Bio

No. I say keep the cape.

#22 Posted by danhimself (22624 posts) - - Show Bio

they've already gotten rid of the briefs...which I hate...if they get rid of the cape then that would be my last straw with DC and perhaps comics as a whole

#23 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

@GillaDro: Superman's classic and current outfits are both much different from his original, he didn't even have his Iconic S shield until a few years after his creation.

#24 Posted by ComicMan24 (147093 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, the cape should stay.

#25 Posted by GillaDro (249 posts) - - Show Bio

Regardless of the underwear it still looks the same only there's more muscle definition now

#26 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Who want Superman to be cool anyway? Back in the 80's, new wave was cool. If you made a new wave superhero back then he would be cool. Fast forward to now, he is dated.

I've said it a millions times here in the vine. Cool expires. Epic remains.

#27 Posted by cloudzackvincent (1028 posts) - - Show Bio

@GillaDro: cape should stay and he lost the underwear a year back

#28 Posted by GillaDro (249 posts) - - Show Bio

@ssejllenrad said:

Who want Superman to be cool anyway? Back in the 80's, new wave was cool. If you made a new wave superhero back then he would be cool. Fast forward to now, he is dated.

I've said it a millions times here in the vine. Cool expires. Epic remains.

And he will stay the same washed up character that he is

#29 Posted by Rumble Man (11118 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell naw man, that idea is poo poo

#30 Posted by GillaDro (249 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rumble Man said:

Hell naw man, that idea is poo poo

you're poo poo

#31 Posted by GillaDro (249 posts) - - Show Bio

I expect all negative comments. talk about changing any character on here and everyone gets all defensive over it.

#32 Posted by Z3RO180 (6618 posts) - - Show Bio

Cape stays

#33 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

@GillaDro: Superman has changed more than any other character in comics, He started out as a vigilante, then became a glorified war bond salesman, then became the all powerful prick of the Silver Age, then he became the pinnacle of Hope and Virtue for the Bronze age, then the alienated lonely guy from the Byrne era, Then he died, came back with a mullet, got married went all electric for a bit, then came the pre flashpoint era where he basically went back to the Bronze age persona and now he's somewhere in between his original personality and the Byrne era. But I get what you're saying actual character development so unimportant, lets just make sure he fits some random dude on the internet's definition of what looks cool cause you know that will definitely sustain a character for 73 years.

#34 Posted by Crash_Recovery (850 posts) - - Show Bio

The cape is an iconic part of Superman's look. It's as important as the logo on his chest.

#35 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (13407 posts) - - Show Bio

its iconic. not to mention dashing and in some cases imposing.

#36 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (883 posts) - - Show Bio

Keep the cape

#37 Posted by Lvenger (20704 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024 said:

They may have taken his underwear, but I'll be damned if they lose the cape. No.

They'll have to go through me before they take Superman's cape away. Besides @GillaDro:

@ssejllenrad said:

@GillaDro said:

You wanna make him cooler? Ditch the the cape and tights.

Naaaaaaaah!!!!! We've seen those sucky costumes in Smallville. Most people don't see it working as Superman. It ain't Superman without the red and blue tights and cape.

#38 Posted by GillaDro (249 posts) - - Show Bio

How many of you actually buy Superman comics?

#39 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

Tried and EPICLY failed

fixed it

#40 Posted by Lvenger (20704 posts) - - Show Bio

@GillaDro said:

And he will stay the same washed up character that he is

Only those that don't read Superman comics think he's washed up. Or don't read the good ones.

@GillaDro said:

How many of you actually buy Superman comics?

For starters I do. And for as long as I collect comics, I'll always have a Superman title on my pull list

#41 Posted by GillaDro (249 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: Then why do I read nothing but bad things about the Superman books on here, and how much they suck. Noone likes Superman until someone like me says change him. Then you all claim him as your favorite and hes just fine how he is. I like Supes. Just dont like the costume. I aint hatin on Superman. I know he's an Icon. But , he's a 1950's Icon.

#42 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29509 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#43 Posted by Lvenger (20704 posts) - - Show Bio

@GillaDro said:

@Lvenger: Then why do I read nothing but bad things about the Superman books on here, and how much they suck. Noone likes Superman until someone like me says change him. Then you all claim him as your favorite and hes just fine how he is. I like Supes. Just dont like the costume. I aint hatin on Superman. I know he's an Icon. But , he's a 1950's Icon.

You're not going on the right forums then. True there are things wrong with Superman but that's down to poor writing and a need for an updated, more diverse rogues gallery. I've never swayed from Superman being my all time favourite fictional character. As for the costume, Superman is the original superhero. He started the tights and cape regime. Changing that would be a misplaced judgement as sure plenty of comic book characters don't wear tights and a cape but the cape and tights are so closely linked with Superman that taking that away from Superman would be like changing the stars and stripes. You can't imagine it any other way. And regarding your final comment, if Superman is a 50s icon, how come stories of him have been updated for the modern age to show Superman will always be relevant regardless of time period?

#44 Posted by GillaDro (249 posts) - - Show Bio

just keep holding on to what you have until there's nothing left.

#45 Posted by GillaDro (249 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger: I was referring to the costume not his stories

#46 Posted by Lvenger (20704 posts) - - Show Bio

@GillaDro: Well his costume is as iconic as his stories, It doesn't need to be modern or edgy. Sometimes the classic things are the better things in life.

#47 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

The cape is iconic but how about learning how to use it. Maybe he should learn how to use his cape like Super Mario.

#48 Posted by Lvenger (20704 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hazlenaut: He uses his cape a lot more in Action Comics now. It's described as indestructible so he uses it as an effective shield.

#49 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

@GillaDro: I've been reading Superman comics for over 20 years, have you ever actually read one

#50 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

I Do like Superman I just hate some of the people DC has put on his books because they tend to either treat the character like crap or like an untouchable God. I'm sorry if I prefer the writers who actually try to treat the character with some actual respect without going into nostalgia worship mode.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.