Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman should be about immigrants, not Jesus

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

Edited By frozen  Moderator

Superman was originally created by two Jewish kids. Though the creators were not technically immigrants, his origins appealed initially to both the Jewish immigrant experience and the biblical story of young Moses.

Somewhere along the line, it became 'Super-Jesus' --- probably during the 1950's to present 'American' values (at the time was the same thing as so-called Christian values). The label of 'Super-Jesus' has stuck hard, even carrying out into Zack Snyder's 2013 Man of Steel.

It would make more sense if Superman was about immigrants. As we know; immigration is on the rise and there is a strong anti-immigrant sentiment in Europe and America (a country founded upon immigration). Thus to make Superman relevant, symbolically he should go back to his roots of representing the immigrant experience.

'Super-Jesus' is so damn pretentious, it's a cheap attempt at trying to make Superman relevant, in a world (or Merica) increasingly becoming more Secularized.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

It's all in the eyes of the beholder dude. For example, me as a Catholic called Bearded Superman a majestic lion, you called him Jesus. Ironic really.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Why not both?

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
    deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Eh. Why not both? Superman is more based on the story of Moses than anything. It all applies to his background. Just because the vast majority of Comic book fans are atheist or believe believing in God is stupid, doesn't mean something should be taken away from the character.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Superman is about Moses, not Jesus. Donner made him Jesus.

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Meh.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice idea, I just think we'd start getting way too many forced "where do I belong" stories. At least the Jesus/Moses vibe is kept to a minimum.......in the comics at least.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so, so tired of people comparing Superman to Jesus. Come on!

It's been done over and over again. How many times do we have to go through this discussion!?

If anything Superman he's based on sun gods. And although Jesus squeezes into that category, so does the greek god Apollo, the roman god Helios, the egyptian god Ra (or Amon-Ra).

Sure, Superman was created by two Jewish kids. And even his name is full of religious meaning. The name Kal-L (or Kal-El in the modern times), has it was in the original stories comes from the word El. The god El, Elohim. One of the names of God. And like the genesis stories tells us "And God said ‘Let there be light' and there was light".

Superman is based in deities from the sun. But in no point we should throw religion at Superman.

If anything he's god free. He's from every creed, race or country. Superman is global.

So please... Stop with the religion stuff.

Thanks.

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Mandarinestro

No he should be a Libertarian :P

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
    darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares? But people sure do love Jesus superman

Jogga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Superman may not have been born on Earth, but he was raised here.

Superman's story should be about him trancending from a simple farmboy to the greatest superhero of time.

Superman's story should be about Superman, wether other people think he is like the messiah is besides the point.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

It's never been about Superman's immigrant metaphor or messiah symbolism for me at all. I reject the latter whole heartedly (another reason I hated MOS) and the former isn't what draws me to Superman. Instead, it's what he represents to humanity as the best of what humanity can offer rolled up into a benevolent powerhouse package. Aside from his recent tumultuous years, Superman's compassion, courage, kindness and heroism serve as an example for us in the real world to inspire us to be better too. To reach for the stars even further, to cure diseases even faster, to care for the innocent and vulnerable and to promote peace and justice as ideals to be held as commonplace rather than far reaching ideals. It might be naive and it's certainly in contrast to my normal cynical self but that's what Superman means to me.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well, if anything, Superman based more on Moses than on Jesus. And Moses can be described as immigrant.

Alright, jokes aside, I don’t think that either of such motives should be actively touched in Superman. Maybe using more subtle approach, including some elements, actions, which can be interpreted like that by people, who looking forward to find religious and/or immigrant motives? For others – eye of the beholder.

Personally – for me Superman should sci-fi hero who in the same time touches upon humanistic issues, values, etc.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Superman should be someone anyone could relate to regardless of where you're from or what your beliefs are. I've honestly never heard anyone equate him to Jesus until just recently, in all honesty.

Me thinks people just take things way harder than they should.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It's all in the eyes of the beholder dude. For example, me as a Catholic called Bearded Superman a majestic lion, you called him Jesus. Ironic really.

Nicely said friend.

Personally – for me Superman should sci-fi hero who in the same time touches upon humanistic issues, values, etc.

Something like this, but what writers forget is that he is not some alien who feels isolated from humans, but instead he is the most down to earth and human hero of them all.

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Originally, Superman was based on Samson and Hercules. He was a champion for oppressed people. Keep in mind, Action Comic #1 came out in the middle of the Great Depression. This was a time when people blamed corruption for the ills of society.

For me, Superman has always stood for the common man--while exceptional himself--chooses to live among the common people. His values are universal and can be applied to every race and religion or lack thereof. IMHO, the "Christian Values" that the Christian Right espouses usually deal with oppressing certain classes of people--with little emphasis on social justice. Many of them have the old Calvinist mentality that the wealthier you are, the more blessed you are and poor people are poor because they are not part of the elect. NONE OF THIS, is what Superman is about.

Amratheking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

". IMHO, the "Christian Values" that the Christian Right espouses usually deal with oppressing certain classes of people--with little emphasis on social justice. Many of them have the old Calvinist mentality that the wealthier you are, the more blessed you are and poor people are poor because they are not part of the elect. NONE OF THIS, is what Superman is about." I don't know where you're getting all of this nonsense, and it can certainly apply to some individual Christians, but not every one of them. Just as your statement can apply to individuals of ALL religions/religious denominations. Superman, on the other hand, represents (to me) a tale as old as humanity itself. He is a demigod figure who can relate to humans on a certain level, but his great powers/abilities forever set him apart from us. As others have mentioned, he doesn't let this difference take away from his inherent humanity; and in fact uses these abilities to help in any way he can. He is a bit of a paradox; separate from us, but the best of us at the same time. Much like Hercules, Gilgamesh, etc.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.