Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18940 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman should be a superhero icon rather than a part of fiction

Galactic_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Galactic_Man

A lot of people say that Superman is the greatest superhero - yes, he was the first superhero and his name can be considered the most appealing and unique... But to be honest, I think that Superman being Superman, just doesn't really appeal to me in a way where he should exist in a, ahem "Universe". I'm a huge DC reader, but I've had a lot of thought and I think since Superman is considered the greatest, then what's the point of everyone else? You see other great superheroes like Batman and Spider-Man - will they ever have or share the spotlight? Doesn't look like they ever will, because whenever you think of superheroes Superman will always come up. These days you see so many made-up merchandise for kids, that you'd think Superman would be a part of it - I think Superman is just too iconic to stand alongside other superheroes. Hell, you could even say the same about Captain America... And now look at the growing superhero population, ever since what - the 60's I think, Marvel has been creating so many amazing characters that you'd think they would be some of the most recognized by the people, yet they're not because of... Who? Superman - don't get me wrong, Superman is one of my favourite superheroes, but I think he doesn't belong in fictional universes - he should just be the defining monument of superheroes.

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By r3d_rob1n

I agree that he is an icon, but to take him out of the universe? No. Removing him from the DC Universe would only serve to take away great potential stories from the fans and readers. Besides, there will always be a strongest character. Take away Superman and either GL, Martian Manhunter, or Wonder Woman will step up and become the new top hero.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By SavageDragon

I dont think that Superman is the cause of other Superheroes lack of popularity. Superman is part of pop culture you are right, but honestly right now Batman is more popular than Superman. Why isnt Deadpool or Edzio Auditore or even Wolverine as popular as Superman? Its because for one they dont transcend comics like Superman does. They dont evoke the emotion of hope or the thought of justice and compassion that Supes does.

Galactic_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Galactic_Man

@r3d_rob1n: I agree with you there - but the only reason why you and me see Superman being taken out of the DC universe as a mistake, is because we have adapted to him in comics during these past 80 years... I guess I gotta grab one hell of an imagination to see it properly :/

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
    Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Nope.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Crom-Cruach

I like reading superman comics, so no way.

r3d_rob1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By r3d_rob1n

@Galactic_Man: I see Superman being taken out of the Universe as a mistake because of stories like Superman For All Seasons, All Star Superman, Last Son, Up Up and Away, as well as his essential roles in many Batman, JLA, and DC Universe stories. How often have we seen the day saved because Superman was there, or regular people inspired by his actions taking up the cause to fight for good? Take away Superman and you take away the conscience of the entire DC Universe.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By Pokeysteve

Batman is the World's Greatest Detective but the Elongated Man and The Question still solve mysteries.

In a universe with as many baddies as DC, it doesn't hurt to have more than one iconic superhero. DC is aware of Superman's greatness and have used it for stories. Superman is the reason many of DC alien superheroes are comfortable operating openly in the DC universe. Taking Superman away would take that away.

Galactic_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Galactic_Man

@Pokeysteve: But then again you could look at the Marvel Universe - like I said, Captain America to me is just how I see Superman (very little) - but with all the baddies in the Marvel Universe, the world's greatest superhero isn't needed to save the day, because there are so many other complex characters around... But you're right - I guess DC is smart in the sense where they USE being the world's greatest superhero as a way to implement great storylines.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10  Edited By Pokeysteve

@Galactic_Man said:

@Pokeysteve: But then again you could look at the Marvel Universe - like I said, Captain America to me is just how I see Superman (very little) - but with all the baddies in the Marvel Universe, the world's greatest superhero isn't needed to save the day, because there are so many other complex characters around... But you're right - I guess DC is smart in the sense where they USE being the world's greatest superhero as a way to implement great storylines.

I wouldn't figure Cap for Marvel's greatest superhero though. They just have similar personalities. Marvel does use Cap as an inspiration to other characters in the universe though. Just like Supe.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.