Superman's Powers

#1 Posted by PCN24454 (454 posts) - - Show Bio

I know that I'm just asking to be shot down, but does anyone else think that Superman should have different (possibly better powers)? At least change his Super-Breath power.

#2 Posted by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

H'el has more powers so maybe one day, Superman can also evolve better powers and more powers like the dc one million Superman. Instead of super breath, maybe Superman can whistle a deadly tune instead.

#3 Edited by PowerWoman (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

why?super-breath is bad power?

#4 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe Superman's right eye should do heat vision and Superman's left eye can do the cold vision. During the bronze age, Bizarro did have cold vision.

#5 Posted by JonSmith (3995 posts) - - Show Bio

Instead of super breath, maybe Superman can whistle a deadly tune instead.

He's done that. I think he used it to save the universe or something with it. While I can't remember the specifics, I remember it was very high stakes, and he won by singing or whistling or something.

On topic: I'm always a fan of a more powerful Superman, if it's handled well.

#6 Posted by PowerWoman (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith: he once yelled at several billion decibels

#7 Edited by colonyofcells (2038 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it was in Final Crisis when Superman did some super whistling. Sometimes, I also wonder what super spit can do.

#8 Posted by PowerWoman (3344 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonsmith said:

@colonyofcells said:

Instead of super breath, maybe Superman can whistle a deadly tune instead.

He's done that. I think he used it to save the universe or something with it. While I can't remember the specifics, I remember it was very high stakes, and he won by singing or whistling or something.

On topic: I'm always a fan of a more powerful Superman, if it's handled well.

Youre thinking of Final Crisis, he whistles on a soul destroying frequency, and kills Darkseid at his full power, as a multiversal threat.

#10 Edited by PowerWoman (3344 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo: Is that mean superman can destroy universe?

Eh, not necessarily, but in Final Crisis, he single-handedly defeats a more powerful being than imaginable in Darkseid. After that, he stands alone at the end of everything, staring down Mandrakk the Vampire Monitor. That is resolved by every Superman and Green Lantern in the multiversal collectively attacking Mandrakk.

#12 Posted by PowerWoman (3344 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by PowerWoman (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo: I think maybe just Mandrakk very weak....even superman and green lantern can beat him...

pre-52 superman isnt have this power....

#14 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo: this is normal superman or robot superman..?

Normal actually, and if he was always this level, I have no doubt he'd be considered a Cosmic and more powerful than any other hero.

#15 Posted by JonSmith (3995 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerwoman said:

@deaditegonzo: this is normal superman or robot superman..?

Normal actually, and if he was always this level, I have no doubt he'd be considered a Cosmic and more powerful than any other hero.

For some reason this makes me wonder if Superman can sing dubstep. IS HE SUPER ENOUGH?!

#16 Posted by PowerWoman (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo: Good feats,but look like not too bigger,maybe a city of size?anyway,i think Mandrakk was weaker than him first appear。。though

#17 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerwoman: In that last scan he was killing Darkseid, not Mandrakk. And here is Mandrakk explicitly stating that Darkseid destroyed all reality. By this point, Darkseid was the greater threat than Mandrakk really. Mandrakk had already been defeated by the Cosmic Armour in Superman Beyond 3D (which takes place in the middle of Final Crisis).

This is how Mandrakk was destroyed. All the Superman and all the Green Lanterns of the Multiverse.

#18 Edited by PowerWoman (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo: This is Impossible...so bro you mean pre-52 superman beat a Multiverse level charater?!even i'm a big superman fans i cant agree this..

if this is SA superman i can agree.but how pre-52 superman beat him???i'm not read this comics book,i dont know why this thing happened,but is must have a explanation for why superman can beat him without help..?or all superman and all green lanterns help superman beat him?if is all superman+all green lanterns beat him,i think this would be logic

#19 Posted by UltimateSMfan (1398 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the thing with final crisis is he figured out that everything exists at a specific frequency and he whistled a frequency that cancelled out darkseid and temporarily made him lose his voice.

#20 Posted by PowerWoman (3344 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerwoman: Superman was in the 30th century with the Legion during Final Crisis, Darkseid knew Superman was unavailable and assaulted Earth with his ultimate plan. He had the Anti Life Equation, something shown to be powerful enough to overcome the Spectre in the past, and he was, for the first time ever, bringing his true physical form into the mortal realm. But, he needed a human body, Dan Turpin in this case, as an anchor. As such, his physical body was extremely vulnerable, as it was only a sickly human body until he had fully crossed over. However, Batman shot Darkseid with the Radion Bullet (which killed Orion) before his full godhood had taken over. Then, Wally, with a straggling Barry, outraced the Black Racer and ran right by the now mortally wounded Darkseid, the Black Racer seeing a greater prize took Darkseid's physical body. But then, Darkseid's full "god spirit" was unleashed; this, his body's death, and the already unleashed ALE was collapsing the entirety of the multiverse. So Superman, sung a note on the frequency the whole multiverse vibrated on, and destroyed Darkseid's multiverse destroying soul.

#22 Edited by PowerWoman (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo: sung a note on the frequency,i think that can explanation superman this feats,pre-52 superman cant just yelled destroy universe,unless this is SA superman/supergirl,well that is hard to precise measurements superman whistles how powerful

#23 Posted by deaditegonzo (3686 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo: sung a note on the frequency,i think that can explanation superman this feats,pre-52 superman cant just yelled destroy universe,unless this is SA superman/supergirl,well that is hard to precise measurements superman whistles how powerful

Its not the decibels of Superman's note that make it destructive, its the frequency. He knows, and can perform the note, that is essentially the very threads that bind the universe/ multiverse. Ever see a singer hit the necessary frequency to break glass? Superman knows that frequency FOR THE WHOLE MULTIVERSE. Its not a developed power at all, hence I dont bring it up in any forum battles, but at that moment, in that Comic, Superman is the most powerful super hero in existence, more powerful than many cosmic entities. Also, like in Superman Beyond 3D, Superman's plot powers are alluded to again. This was the Superman I hoped Morrison wanted to bring about in the New 52, this + All Star Superman (you know his big Superman titles), instead we get this Byrne-esque mess for like half of Morrison's run (right up until the end).

#24 Posted by PowerWoman (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@deaditegonzo: 100% true,just frequency not mean superman can destroy universe,however,SA superman once yelled at several billion decibels,some people say this need more than single universe energy,you know what mean

though i think if make SA superman as long as hard,his super breath would be end of the universe,this not exaggeration.read my thread,SA superman/SA supergirl top feats...you would be agree he can

the new 52 superman was powerful,but i think other hero would be also close to him in power level,new 52 superman not SA superman,the SA superman tooooo overpowered for other hero,he make other hero so useless

SA superman and SA supergirl make other hero soooooo weaker and useless and like spilth

i think new 52 wonder woman would be close to him in power level,or orion,or shazam,or supergirl powergirl

#25 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

I think his powers are just fine as they are to be honest.

#26 Edited by Nerx (15088 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, he should use them more to end conflicts faster

#27 Posted by Squalleon (4497 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman's charm is in his powers and how he uses them take that away and you don't have superman.

#28 Posted by ScarletBatman (364 posts) - - Show Bio

- Super Strength

- Super Durability

- Super Stamina

- Super Speed

- Super Memory

- Super Lung Capacity

- Super Hearing

- Super Smelling

- Flying

- Ice/Cold Breath

- Heat Vision

- Telescopic Vision

- Microscopic Vision

- X-Ray Vision

- Infrared Vision

- Longevity

What other powers does Superman need? He already has a version of most really cool powers that hordes of other heroes have.

#29 Posted by PowerWoman (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@scarletbatman: Infinite strength,infinite speed, infinite Durability....SA superman you know..

#30 Edited by The Stegman (23813 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah, Superman's powers are cool, I like how he has a lil bit of everything.

#31 Edited by Mr_Winchester (707 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerwoman said:

@scarletbatman: Infinite strength,infinite speed, infinite Durability....SA superman you know..

I get that it would be cool to see an overly powered character starts destroying stuff but it wouldn't make for an interesting read in comics with regards to villains and the challenges they would pose to superman, because he's infinite everything. It also would make it pointless for him to be in justice league.

#32 Posted by PowerWoman (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr_winchester: yes,that why DC change superman power level in the silver age late,and that why PC Composite Superman and PC Validus hurt SA superman in the silver age late,DC downplay SA superman power level

#33 Posted by PowerWoman (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@mr_winchester:

Silver age:,any kryptonian was equal to superman on the earth,and superman no more experience than them,a female kryptonian also equal to male krytonian in strength,speed,etc,any kryptonian was true Invulnerability,they are cant hurt each other

Silver age late/Bronze Age level:superman has more experience than other kryptonians,and a superman could be stronger than superwoman just like man stronger than woman,any kryptonian no more true invunlnerability,yes,if you has enough power,you can hurt them

DC downplay it

#34 Posted by w0nd (3240 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.