Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman's Mental Stregnth

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jeremy1989

Folks, we all know how strong he is physically, but is he as strongmentally?

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Squalleon

He used to have indomitable will and confident personality but lately he snaps all the time and that won't do him any good. For example see how Injustice affected the casual readers view on Superman.

There are plently of hints that his mind is brilliant and full of potential. He also used to know kryptonian mental arts.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Unfortunately the mental realm has been one of Superman's weaker areas for some time. From the Silver Age to the Post Crisis era, from Pre Flashpoint to the New 52, Superman's mind has been compromised numerous times by telepaths and mages. Granted he does have some resistance to it e.g against Arion in Camelot Falls. But I guess the writers try and compensate for Superman's overwhelming physical advantage by letting him fall against mentally powerful foes in battle.

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I believe he had some kind of Kryptonian mental skills to protect him in pre flashpoint/post crisis.

But now not so much, he is pretty weak to any kind of mental attack.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By UltimateSMfan

If you mean mental strength as in emotional capacity, then Squalleon's given you a good answer, otherwise..

@lvenger said:

the writers try and compensate for Superman's overwhelming physical advantage by letting him fall against mentally powerful foes in battle.

This.

Superman does have mental potential which very few writers have brought up(even in terms of his character and power set it makes sense), but i guess they need that 'weakness' as a scapegoat when they run outta ideas. Like the issue before last of batman/superman where Superman can't open his mind to Hector Hammond cuz he doesn't have the "training" (but evidently batman did because he's batman, some seriously cringe worthy writing but that's a whole other thread)

Honestly though, Superman overcoming telepaths make for some really cool moments.

Loading Video...

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No that is one of Superman's weak points, which is fine.

As far as I can tell Superman is vulnerable to Kryptonite attacks, Mental Attacks, Phasing attacks, Magic related attacks and Hax attacks, which again is fine.

He doesn't need to be invulnerable and perfect at everything.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

No that is one of Superman's weak points, which is fine.

As far as I can tell Superman is vulnerable to Kryptonite attacks, Mental Attacks, Phasing attacks, Magic related attacks and Hax attacks, which again is fine.

He doesn't need to be invulnerable and perfect at everything.

Ugh I hate agreeing with you but I'm also fine with the abundance of weaknesses Superman has.

SanoHibiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SanoHibiki

@ariesxmasters:

You forgot black hole weapons (thanks a lot for that, Snyder), hign-end technologies, red sun and Batman-plot-induced-attacks. Way too long list.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By redwingx

Thank god he isn't as mentally strong as physically.

fsiekscma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By fsiekscma

Supema has been said to have one of strongest willpower in DC universe and have indomitable will.

Indeed Superman has been controlled by telepath or mage. But He has resisted telepath or mind control from the cosmic or multiversal entity.

In DCnU, He has resisted Gorilla Grodd's telepathy, Doomsday's will infection,Hellspont's telepathy,Sin Eater's Soul Attack, etc. Are they all non cannon?

I can't understand why he has only weak willpower. What do you think? Do you in this thread think that Superman has only weak will compared to Batman or Hal or Any Character?

Avatar image for christianrapper
    christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he is pretty strong to me. he has shown some tp resistance.

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In pre-N52, Superman was able to learn the kryptonian mental arts of Torquasm-Rao and Torquasm-Vo. The 1st allowed Superman to fend off psychic attacks and even astral project himself, by lowering his brain frequency to the Alpha state. The 2nd allowed Superman to increase his ability to process information and reaction time, by increasing his brain frequency to the Theta state.

In the N52 Superman has no mental defenses to speak off, besides sheer willpower. Although it has been said by both Psycho Pirate and the HIVE Queen that Superman has possibly the most powerful mind on Earth, full of psionic energy, but because Superman is unaware of this, he doesn't know how to use it.

Even H'el that was simply a kryptonian clone, that had been exposed to more powerful types of stars was far more powerful than Superman and had immense psionic power and abilities like telepathy, telekinesis (that was so great he could control matter with great ease) and teleportation. Even Luthor taunted Superman by asking him if he simply was weaker than H'el or if he simply failed to make himself has powerful has H'el, because of his lack of knowledge and initiative.

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He shouldn't get completely ran by any low level mind assaults. But he shouldn't have super mental fortitude, either. His weaknesses are already hard enough to exploit.

But one thing that annoys me is that his will and conviction these days seems to be piss weak. Like, one tragedy happens to him, and he goes nuts. Superman is supposed to be the guy who tells us we can push through any hardship. But he isn't supposed to just talk it. He is meant to walk it as well.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jimishim12

Supermans weaknesses are plot farts and inconsistant since he has showings no selling them like nothing like some semi omnipotent space jesus, writers just gimp Supes due to not knowing how to write him at his most powerful and supreme while keeping him compelling.

I doubt someone who can reconstruct fucking cities of ancient alien civilizations and solve quanrum paradoxes can fall to relative mind rape. Not under Morrisons pen any way.

ThePreface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see him beat someone stronger (like Doomsday) by using his head for once. Not literally of course.

Theomnipheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12: thats why morrison shouldnt be allowed a pen.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.