Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18886 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman readings for the "Man of Steel" disliker

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There are tons of threads asking for titles to read for whatever hero/villain. This one is a little more specific. I recently watched and enjoyed the new Man of Steel movie so this question goes to those who disliked it. I have heard and read many discussions that Man of Steel fails to capture the true character of Superman. So, again asking those who dislike the film, what readings created your view on Superman than goes against the film.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Try these three. Two of them take a new look at the origin of Superman while the third one shows why I believe Superman would NEVER kill someone and why he is such a great hero:

Superman: Secret Origins

Superman Birthright (haven't read it, just have heard amazing things)

What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way (fun fact: one of my favorite comics.)

and a random fourth one: Superman/Batman is a great title. Check it out to get a great mix of comedy, seriousness and action.

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MrShway88

I did see Superman vs the Elites which I think is based on "What's So Funny about Truth, Justice, and the American Way". I loved it. Thought it was great.

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think that MoS' Superman was a different Superman. A younger one, who is not quite the mature inspirational icon that he would later become, he's still inexperienced and isn't quite as comfortable with his role of a superhero yet. But if you want to read about how Superman in his prime should be, check out the following:

• All-Star Superman
    • Superman & the Legion of Super-Heroes
    • JLA by Grant Morrison
    Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Durakken

Go watch Superman The Animated Series, watch the pilot which is way better and I think is like an hour, hour and a half

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

I think that MoS' Superman was a different Superman. A younger one, who is not quite the mature inspirational icon that he would later become, he's still inexperienced and isn't quite as comfortable with his role of a superhero yet. But if you want to read about how Superman in his prime should be, check out the following:

• All-Star Superman
    • JLA by Grant Morrison

Would you say that, if you come into this movie expecting a really good Superman elseworld's tale, that a lot of the complaints fade away?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite said:

@veshark said:

• All-Star Superman
    • JLA by Grant Morrison

Would you say that, if you come into this movie expecting a really good Superman elseworld's tale, that a lot of the complaints fade away?

I think if you take it for what it is - an origin story with a young Superman - much of the complaints are explained.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@perezite said:

@veshark said:

• All-Star Superman
    • JLA by Grant Morrison

I think if you take it for what it is - an origin story with a young Superman - much of the complaints are explained.

But what about the Elseworld's angle?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite said:

@veshark said:

@perezite said:

@veshark said:

• All-Star Superman
    • JLA by Grant Morrison

It's in a different continuity, but it's not really an Elseworlds take on Superman, like 'What would Superman be if he was x'. It's another media's take on the regular Superman. Still, if it makes someone enjoy the movie more, by all means.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark said:

@perezite said:

@veshark said:

@perezite said:

@veshark said:

• All-Star Superman
    • JLA by Grant Morrison

It's in a different continuity, but it's not really an Elseworlds take on Superman, like 'What would Superman be if he was x'. It's another media's take on the regular Superman. Still, if it makes someone enjoy the movie more, by all means.

Well, that's what I meant, I suppose. An alternate universe Supes.

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Back to the topic

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.