Follow

Superman

Character » Superman appears in 18942 issues.

Sent to Earth as an infant from the dying planet Krypton, Kal-El was adopted by the loving Kent family and raised in America's heartland as Clark Kent. Using his immense solar-fueled powers, he became Superman to defend mankind against all manner of threats while championing truth, justice, and the American way!

Superman: Overrated?

• 76 results
    Avatar image for death_to_sane_people
    Death_to_sane_people

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Gambit1024

Superman's barely in anything any more. DC should make him more prominent in their Big Events. 

HumanNumber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HumanNumber

I've never had a problem with Superman.

Valtot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Valtot

was this thread the first thing you did when you made that account Death To Sane People?
    castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By castleking

i stop liking him in the mid 90's before then his stories were better imo than today's.

but yeh, he is overrated way too much in not just forums but also in comics.... i cant stand him anymore.

Death_to_sane_people

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Valtot: yup. u wanna make somethin of it buddy? >:)
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Primmaster64

You really need to pay more attention to...Well anything now, he's barely at anytthing now. Now its Batman this and Batman that. So no he is not overrated, he is actually underrated now. batman on the other hand...its overrated.

SHAFEMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By SHAFEMAN

73% of people say no. apparently the creator of this forum wishes death on 73% of people
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9  Edited By SC  Moderator

He is as relatively overrated as most comic characters that near his level of popularity and that are nearly as iconic as he is I feel. I mean nearly loosely too, since not many actually are. He is also very inspirational to many though, and the nature of living is usually about things either being overrated or underrated. I feel far too many people get hung up on the first aspect. Comics would have still happened anyway, and another guy would have been the first. You create one character thats supposedly the best or brightest, or most inspirational, you actively underrate the capacity of not just other characters, but kids growing up to. Not everyone gets to be Superman, just like not everyone gets to be insert overpaid, overrated celebrity. Still celebrities are huge, Superman is huge, I think personally he is rated about right. Oh, I think some of his inspirations are underrated though.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By PowerHerc

Nope.  Not at all.
    JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#11  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

I, personally, never thought too highly of him. I don't dislike him, but I just don't find him interesting to read about most of the time. There are other characters that I prefer (Batman, Green Lantern, etc.)

Coralsiren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By Coralsiren

Why all the hate? Superman has been neglected lately, I also think he's underrated right now.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By HolySerpent
    @Coralsiren said:
    "Why all the hate? Superman has been neglected lately, I also think he's underrated right now. "

long live superman
    Devias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Devias

Most of the worship and love dedicated to Superman isn't really out of how interesting or likable the character is. It's simply because he's the most iconic 'superhero' of all time.. that much is undebatable. 

I like him though, especially in Superman/Batman series, even if it's somewhat mediocre nowadays.. It's true what Gambit1024 said, we don't really see the big guy anymore, amidst all this Lantern fluff.

CRTrobinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CRTrobinson

I think DC characters in general get inflated beyond the norm especially on the boards.  God forbid you propose a battle with Wolverine or Deadpool who seem to be hated without equal.  I think a lot of characters powers now a days are completely exaggerated especially with Batman being able to beat super powered villains with absolutely no powers and Wolverine being able to grow back from just a skeleton.  Lets just agree that it is a good thing that comics seem to be thriving right now and sites like this exist!

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's over-rated and very mediocre. I used to read his comics but there was no sense of dynamic threat or legitimate plot development. And for a canon/historical freak like me, fluctuating power levels, rebooted/alternate versions and the ridiculousness of some of his feats ultimately became a turn off. But then again, I think most of the core DC characters are over-rated, and I don't like how some of the iconic ones become jobbers to legitimize some random, super villain just to come back and easily defeat them a few issues later. 

I remember reading "The Death of Superman" - my mother knew I was into comics, so she heard about it and bought me a deluxe copy of the graphic novel when it came out. I loved it! I thought, wow, I wonder what will happen next! I started renewing my attention to the DC franchise, thinking that the characters would learn from it, other people would fill in the void and the universe would become more mature. 

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By HolySerpent
    @PhoenixoftheTides:
    i dont like what they did to doomsday. 

shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

#18  Edited By shawn87

No definitely not. 

Devias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Devias
    @CRTrobinson said:

" I think DC characters in general get inflated beyond the norm especially on the boards.  God forbid you propose a battle with Wolverine or Deadpool who seem to be hated without equal.  I think a lot of characters powers now a days are completely exaggerated especially with Batman being able to beat super powered villains with absolutely no powers and Wolverine being able to grow back from just a skeleton.  Lets just agree that it is a good thing that comics seem to be thriving right now and sites like this exist! "

I agree. DC & Marvel seems hellbent on inflating the ego of the fanboys of their most popular characters as much as possible. Out of all the times where Batman beats characters he isn't supposed to, only one moment was believable to me, the story arc where he burned the White Martians. But again, that's the appeal of Batman. He overcomes seemingly insurmountable odds and looks cool while doing it.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DEGRAAF

No definitely not. I think he needs a good wrtier to bring him back to the greatness he was once at, and for him to show Batman that he (batman) cant run across a room of lasers and bullets and survive like the writers and fans seem to think he could jsut because "he would have planned for it"
    Avatar image for deadpoolvironfist
    DeadpoolvIronFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@JediXMan said:
    " I, personally, never thought too highly of him. I don't dislike him, but I just don't find him interesting to read about most of the time. There are other characters that I prefer (Batman, Green Lantern, etc.) "
    tim2081

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tim2081

All excessively popular characters are overrated; that includes Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Wolverine, etc.  When characters become that popular, they are no longer allowed to develop past a certain point, and they become gimmicky and cheap.  I have never been a big Superman fan mostly because he gets a lot of attention for being an uninteresting character.

Zaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Zaiyan
    @castleking said:
    " i stop liking him in the mid 90's  "
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Primmaster64 said:
    "You really need to pay more attention to...Well anything now, he's barely at anytthing now. Now its Batman this and Batman that. So no he is not overrated, he is actually underrated now. batman on the other hand...its overrated."

lol
    digimod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By digimod

What is the point of option C?  If you have option C should there not be an option D...'Heck No!'?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @Primmaster64 said:
    "You really need to pay more attention to...Well anything now, he's barely at anytthing now. Now its Batman this and Batman that. So no he is not overrated, he is actually underrated now. batman on the other hand...its overrated."

What's up with you and your batman should be compared with superman obsession?and superman IS overrated,being in movies and cartoons does'nt mean anything to this thread,the guy never asked who's getting more exposure. 
    I have yet to see a batman fan on this site who's as bad as superman defender.
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @tim2081 said:
    "All excessively popular characters are overrated; that includes Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Wolverine, etc.  When characters become that popular, they are no longer allowed to develop past a certain point, and they become gimmicky and cheap.  I have never been a big Superman fan mostly because he gets a lot of attention for being an uninteresting character. "

Hate to break it to you but i know for a fact that batman and his cast is constantly developing in every single issue.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By daredevil21134
    @entropy_aegis said:
    "@Primmaster64 said:
    What's up with you and your batman should be compared with superman obsession?and superman IS overrated,being in movies and cartoons does'nt mean anything to this thread,the guy never asked who's getting more exposure. I have yet to see a batman fan on this site who's as bad as superman defender. "

OHHHHHHHHH
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By entropy_aegis
    @daredevil21134 said:
    "@entropy_aegis said:
    "@Primmaster64 said:
    What's up with you and your batman should be compared with superman obsession?and superman IS overrated,being in movies and cartoons does'nt mean anything to this thread,the guy never asked who's getting more exposure. I have yet to see a batman fan on this site who's as bad as superman defender. "
    OHHHHHHHHH "

LOL,it's true.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By daredevil21134
    @entropy_aegis said:
    "@daredevil21134 said:
    "@entropy_aegis said:
    "@Primmaster64 said:
    OHHHHHHHHH "
    LOL,it's true. "

LOL
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

No, no he is not.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Billy Batson
    He's underrated ;(
    CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#33  Edited By CrimsonAvenger
    Not at all, he's underrated.
    tim2081

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tim2081
    @entropy_aegis said:
    " @tim2081 said:
    "All excessively popular characters are overrated; that includes Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, Wolverine, etc.  When characters become that popular, they are no longer allowed to develop past a certain point, and they become gimmicky and cheap.  I have never been a big Superman fan mostly because he gets a lot of attention for being an uninteresting character. "
    Hate to break it to you but i know for a fact that batman and his cast is constantly developing in every single issue. "
    Batman's cast can develop a lot, but Bruce Wayne can never change too much from his base character. The Robins and Batgirls can go off and change their names, become villains, become anti-heroes, or whatever, but Bruce isn't allowed. Sure he can leave temporarily, but he has to return. A lot of it has to do with marketing; people see Superman and Batman in the movies and TV shows, and they want to see something similar in the comics. Look at the core Superman character now, compared to 10 years ago. How much of a difference is there? Not enough. I completely understand why, but the storytelling is still limited. 

You can tell any story without limitations about an unpopular character, which makes their potential a lot higher. And that means overly popular characters are overrated.
    Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

@PowerHerc said:
    "Nope.  Not at all. "
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Primmaster64
    @CrimsonAvenger said:
    " Not at all, he's underrated. "
    That's pretty much how he is now.
    Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By buttersdaman000

Hell no.
    Superman doesnt even get as much attention as Batman and Green Lantern yet haters will come on her and call him overrated. And for what? Because he beats your favorite character in a fight?
    Damn, if there are two thing I hate relating to comics its when people say Superman is overrated and over powered.
    For one thing, nobody calls The Silver Surfer, MM, Wally West and others overpowered yet for some reason Superman is.
    Batman is in 3 times as many comics and is one of the most defended characters on comicvine. He even has the moniker of Batgod. Yet.....Superman is more overrated. Same goes for the Green Lanterns. 

SMH

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Primmaster64
    @buttersdaman000: That is true. you are right!
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Gambit1024

You know I read Infinite Crisis the other day and something really stuck out to me. Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman were having a discussion and Batman said (and very coldly I might add) that the last time Superman inspired anyone was when he was dead. I put the comic down and I had to think about that statement. He was right. Nobody cared about Superman until he died protecting Metropolis from Doomsday. And I hate that. Superman is supposed to be the best one there is and nobody at DC is doing anything about it... What gives??

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Primmaster64
    @Gambit1024: Nor nobody cared when he came back.
    Birthright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Birthright

He's not that orange guy from DBZ

The_Assassin_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#42  Edited By The_Assassin_

No Caption Provided
    Death_to_sane_people

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SHAFEMAN: heck yeah! :)
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Gambit1024
    @Mikepool said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    "
    LMAO
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ssejllenrad

People who say he is are bigots.

DarkseidFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor and Hulk are 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 times more overrated than Superman

Avatar image for heavenlydarkdragon
    HeavenlyDarkDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A little overated. I'll grant you that. But that's it.

His biggest problem isn't even himself. It's how the writers, write him to be. It's how the writers, so they can shine the feats of some characters, then they diminuish him and make him to be less than he actually is.

Avatar image for deactivated-6078e3dfb955a
    deactivated-6078e3dfb955a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No his haters only assume that.

Avatar image for deactivated-6078e3dfb955a
    deactivated-6078e3dfb955a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Flash is the most overrated in the vine

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.